PDA

View Full Version : Weird Snag/Click when pedaling

Nooch
01-07-2019, 03:20 PM
On the zank, so new chain, less than 500 miles (sadly), when I start riding I get a weird clicking/clunking/snagging feeling when I come around say, 3 o'clock on the right foot (so 8 o'clock on the left). I feel it primarily in my left shoe, but the click is there both when i'm riding (on my keo's) in street shoes if I'm running around town.

The strange thing about it is that pretty much goes away after about the first twenty or thirty minutes of riding...

Any thoughts? I'm banging my head against the wall...

duff_duffy
01-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Is it every peddle stroke? Is chain well lubed? Had something similar while ago and was stiff kink that I’d feel at that point.

Tickdoc
01-07-2019, 03:35 PM
On the zank, so new chain, less than 500 miles (sadly), when I start riding I get a weird clicking/clunking/snagging feeling when I come around say, 3 o'clock on the right foot (so 8 o'clock on the left). I feel it primarily in my left shoe, but the click is there both when i'm riding (on my keo's) in street shoes if I'm running around town.

The strange thing about it is that pretty much goes away after about the first twenty or thirty minutes of riding...

Cleats tight? bottom bracket, chainring bolts, loose cassette....all possible culprits, and I've also experienced this and found it to be the skewers....sounds silly, but when lubed the click went away. bikes be crazy that way.

jtbadge
01-07-2019, 03:43 PM
I had a similar problem this summer, turns out the grease I put in the freehub pawls was too thick and one or more of the pawls would stick, causing a clunk and delayed engagement. Cleaned out all of the grease and replaced with a proper lubricant, now all is well.

bikinchris
01-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Man, that sounds like a loose chainring. Or maybe a bad tooth on the ring?

TheseGoTo11
01-08-2019, 09:01 AM
I've had similar "clicks" that turned out to be the pedal asking for some grease. Just pulled each and cleaned/greased the threads and it went away.

oldpotatoe
01-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Every pedal stroke..something with the pedal..loose or something. Not everyone, maybe freehub body, rear hub something..what rear wheel? mavic Krysiriums by chance?

Tony T
01-08-2019, 09:23 AM
I had that, but with every other turn of the pedal. It was a tight link. loosened it, and all was ok

benb
01-08-2019, 09:42 AM
I've had loose BBs, loose chainrings, loose cassette lockrings, etc..

BB sounds most like a clunk and happens at the same spot every time around.

Chainrings sound more like a click and also happen same time around.

Anything on the back of the bike, maybe a bit more complex in terms of when it happens and probably closer to a click sound. Chainrings & Cassette & Spoke issues can all sound similarly clicky but the spoke issues can keep occurring without pedaling if it's not a drive side rear wheel issue. (Drive side rear wheel issue is more like a BB/Ring issue in that you'll hear it more under lots of power/lower RPM but it won't be at the same spot in the pedal stroke every time necessarily)

Definitely debug with stopping pedaling, most of the issues talked about here won't happen if you stop pedaling.

Also if it's a carbon bike with big old tubes that can make things confusing as the sounds can reverberate/amplify inside the tubes and sound like they're from somewhere else.