PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott Decals Removal?

Jmaxwel8
01-06-2019, 11:14 AM
As I look at Ottrotts in a quest to find one. I was curious about removing the decals. Several of the ones I have ran across have decals that I would probably like to remove. With that being said are these easily removed? I wasn't sure if they have a clearcoat over top. Or if they can be removed if you just take your time.

Also what makes someone a senior member on the forum. I know that is random, but I just noticed my "status" has changed.

dave thompson
01-06-2019, 11:18 AM
If the decals are on top of the surface with no clearcoat over them, a Popsicle stick, wooden paint stir stick or something similar, can be used to scrape the decals off with no damage to the underlying surface. I've done it.

happycampyer
01-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Are you talking about decals on the ti or carbon? If you are talking about the carbon, I would think that the decals on most if not all Ottrotts are under clearcoat, either as an applied decal or actual paint (and sometimes masked to allow the carbon to show through). Decals applied to the ti were typically stickers that could be scraped off. Note that you will probably see a shadow where the sticker was, so you would need to do some finishing work to clean it up. Refinishing the carbon is something I would leave to a professional.

Jmaxwel8
01-06-2019, 12:20 PM
Are you talking about decals on the ti or carbon? If you are talking about the carbon, I would think that the decals on most if not all Ottrotts are under clearcoat, either as an applied decal or actual paint (and sometimes masked to allow the carbon to show through). Decals applied to the ti were typically stickers that could be scraped off. Note that you will probably see a shadow where the sticker was, so you would need to do some finishing work to clean it up. Refinishing the carbon is something I would leave to a professional.

I am talking about decals on the TI and the Carbon. The carbon decals are specifically the ones that I would probably have to change, so your information isn't exactly what I wanted to hear. :)

There is a beautiful one I have run across on the forum that I probably wouldn't have to change the decals so maybe that is the route I will end up going.

Happy Camper, whats your background with Serottas? You seem to know all about them. How many do you own? Also my colorado magenta/orange fade is currently at the painter. I think you and I talked about it a couple weeks ago.

happycampyer
01-06-2019, 02:04 PM
No connection with the company. I’ve owned a number of Serottas over the years, and still have a few. Over the years I became friends with people who either worked at the factory or had strong connections with it, so have picked up some info from them along the way. Since this forum for many years used to be the Serotta Forum, there’s a number of folks with much deeper knowledge who are stil around (like Black Dog and Oliver1850, not to mention folks who used to work for or with Serotta, such as Brian Smith and Mike Lopez).

Which painter did you end up using? Looking forward to the results.