PDA

View Full Version : 90 Year Old Cyclist Caught Doping

nmrt
01-05-2019, 10:55 AM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/46768802

Forget doping, I for one am actually surprised they have Track races for 90 yr olds.

Burnette
01-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Ninety is extreme! But they sat we are living longer now.

I have to say that in my area, the Peidmont of NC, on any larger charity group ride of sixty to one hundred cyclists the over sixty crowd is well represented.

Some if the strongest and fastest riders sport grey hair. And women make up a large portion of the groups too.

Years ago, one lady in her sixties rode from High Point twenty five miles or better to ride with us on a fifty two mile ride. She pulled hard and could easily conversate. Word in the group was that she once raced and was an advocate for cycling.

She was a pleasure to talk to as she rolled out the pain.

At the end of the ride she seemed to know everyone, ate and topped off her bottles and rode back home.

I'm inspired by my local cyclist, I too hope to keep riding as long as I am able.

Shoeman
01-05-2019, 02:53 PM
You'd think by now he should have known! I like his excuse of contaminated meat

https://sports.yahoo.com/90-year-old-american-cyclist-will-stripped-title-failing-drug-test-173702680.html

nooneline
01-05-2019, 03:06 PM
You'd think by now he should have known! I like his excuse of contaminated meat

https://sports.yahoo.com/90-year-old-american-cyclist-will-stripped-title-failing-drug-test-173702680.html

On July 10th, during Master's Track Nationals, he gave a clean sample.
Then he went and set a record.
Then he had another test, and it tested positive for a steroid.

He gave some evidence to USADA, and when they reviewed it they said that it was "more than likely" caused by contaminated meat. Which makes it a little bit more than an excuse, doesn't it? He got his title stripped, which is fair, and was given a warning but not a ban - which also seems fair.

He's 90 and still racing and given this situation - and USADA's review of evidence and subsequent conclusion - I think you can go ahead and cut him a bit of slack.

54ny77
01-05-2019, 03:29 PM
hell if i'm 90, i sure as heck will be taking whatever gets me down the road faster!

RFC
01-05-2019, 03:33 PM
hell if i'm 90, i sure as heck will be taking whatever gets me down the road faster!

+1

wasfast
01-05-2019, 04:38 PM
To me, there's a big difference between racing at an advanced and riding (groups, individual etc). I'm 60 and just hopeful to stay healthy and ride. The need for any racing ended for me in 2014 and won't be returning.

gasman
01-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Threads merged.

Hawker
01-05-2019, 06:29 PM
You bet it's wrong! But frankly, I'm a little amused.

You'd hope by 90 that we'd all come to grips with who we are and happy with our station in life. On the other hand, maybe he's trying to impress a girl? He may need another drug for that. ;)

Don49
01-05-2019, 06:37 PM
I think a warning and a one year ban from the TdF would be appropriate.
And if it really was bad meat then we need the USDA involved (not the USADA).

ultraman6970
01-05-2019, 08:48 PM
U guys saw pictures of the old timer?? he looks like 65 to 70 to me, not even close to 90... which takes me to and article about cycling keeping you young, either way surprise me that people is even racing at 90, my racing thing ended at 22 ish and i do not need to race anymore.

Either way, cut the guy a slack and offer him a deal, you keep the record and your name, but you quick racing forever. I would take that deal if my name finally made it to headlines after like 80 years of racing :P Objective accomplished :)

Dude probably has nothing else to live for too you know...

nmrt
01-05-2019, 09:26 PM
uh oh
what did i do?
rapha fanboi AND the epic pic? ;)

nmrt
01-05-2019, 09:31 PM
and i'm actually a fan.
1) old time mechanical (?) watch
2) rim brakes
3) riding on gravel (?)
4) riding on gravel on 25 c tires?

what's not to like. hardcore. my hats off to carl!
at 90, if i can make it to my bathroom without help, that'd be my exercise for the day.

pbarry
01-05-2019, 09:48 PM
You can do anything short of murder, ripping off people's 401k's, or committing genoocide, et al, within these non-speciific confines, when you are 90 plus yrs. :help:

ceolwulf
01-06-2019, 12:15 AM
uh oh
what did i do?
rapha fanboi AND the epic pic? ;)

Rapha need to hire this guy, immediately!

marciero
01-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Strip the title yes, but otherwise I'm inclined to give him a pass.

charliedid
01-06-2019, 07:44 AM
I'm looking forward to the Oprah interview.

GregL
01-06-2019, 08:52 AM
I clicked on this thread expecting to read the culprit was Contador's grandfather. Seriously, his story is quite suspicious. Did USADA test a sample of the supposedly tainted meat? The linked article only mentions tainted supplements. My guess is that he's getting off lightly because of his age. I've met quite a few 90+ year-olds who could be just as treacherous as persons half their age...

Greg

jamesdak
01-06-2019, 08:55 AM
I think he should contact Team Sky's legal team and see how they got Froome off so he can fight for his title.... :banana::banana::banana:

503m979
01-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Am I alone in thinking that 90yo+ racers should be able to dope as much as they want? I mean, they're not winning the Tour. Life's almost over, might as well ride as fast as they ****ing can while they can!

I just hope I'm ALIVE at 90...

GregL
01-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Am I alone in thinking that 90yo+ racers should be able to dope as much as they want? I mean, they're not winning the Tour. Life's almost over, might as well ride as fast as they ****ing can while they can!

I just hope I'm ALIVE at 90...
Whether you're 9, 90, or anywhere in between, integrity matters. According to VeloNews (https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/news/90-year-old-us-cyclist-fails-doping-test-loses-crown_482673), he had a tainted supplement (for which he wasn't sanctioned) as well as a doping metabolite linked to contaminated meat. Either the contaminated meat story is baloney (pun intended ;)) or I'm no longer planning to dine in the Allentown suburbs...

Greg

Mr. Pink
01-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Wait. How many are in his age group? Who was he competing against? 80 year olds? Give him a break!

GregL
01-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Wait. How many are in his age group? Who was he competing against? 80 year olds? Give him a break!
He was the only one in his age group. All the more reason NOT to dope. He won just by showing up. No enhancement necessary.

Greg

Mr. Pink
01-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Maybe he needs it just to get up in the morning.

tctyres
01-06-2019, 01:02 PM

I was wondering this, too. Then I realized that he's riding against the clock.

I lived with some national athletes when I was in grad school. I asked them about their supplements, and some of the companies are known to be bad actors. The trainers and coaches know about these. Those companies add other things so that amateur athletes get bigger faster. What is on the label is not always accurate. This guy could have made that mistake. '

It is a world record, though.

fignon's barber
01-06-2019, 01:17 PM
I know Carl Grove personally from when I lived in the South Bend area. He is the kindest, most humble, and unassuming person you will ever meet. He's the kind of guy that wins Nationals on the weekend and when folks ask Monday morning what he did, says "oh, just went for a little bike ride".

Hawker
01-06-2019, 02:19 PM
I think a warning and a one year ban from the TdF would be appropriate.

That could be a lifetime ban.

[QUOTE=charliedid;2480499]I'm looking forward to the Oprah interview.

LOL!

Mr. Pink
01-06-2019, 06:30 PM
Har har. Cherish every moment.

Vientomas
01-06-2019, 06:34 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/90-year-old-pursuit-world-champion-given-public-warning-for-anti-doping-violation/

During USADA’s investigation into his case, Grove provided information which established that the source of his positive test was considered more likely than not to have been caused by contaminated meat consumed the evening before competing on July 11. Grove had tested negative for prohibited substances during an in-competition test on July 10, 2018.

Grove provided USADA with information about supplements he had used, none of which listed clomiphene or any other prohibited substances on the Supplement Facts label. Detailed analysis subsequently conducted by the WADA-accredited laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah, confirmed the presence of clomiphene in one of the supplements.

mattsurf
01-07-2019, 07:57 AM
OK so in this case it wasn't contaminated meat... however doesn't it concern you that beef often contains high levels of steroids.

GregL
01-07-2019, 08:23 AM
OK so in this case it wasn't contaminated meat... however doesn't it concern you that beef often contains high levels of steroids.
Actually, USADA did put the blame on contaminated meat (https://www.usada.org/carl-grove-accepts-public-warning/):

"During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of his case, Grove provided USADA with information which established that the source of his positive test was more likely than not caused by contaminated meat consumed the evening before competing on July 11, 2018."
The contaminated supplements were another issue that was found during the investigation:

"While investigating the source of his positive test, it was also determined that a supplement Grove was using prior to July 11, 2018 was contaminated with clomiphene."
Caveat emptor: both meat and supplements may be contaminated.

Greg

pdonk
01-14-2019, 07:32 AM
An interview with his coach can be listened too, and the story read on CBC

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.4974819/cyclist-90-who-failed-drug-test-because-of-liver-dinner-is-moving-forward-says-coach-1.4974825

jr59
01-14-2019, 08:56 AM
This is plain silly. The guy is 90. I’m sure these tests have a cost that would well be used in other areas.

redir
01-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Why would they strip him of his title if they suspect that it was taken without his knowledge?

Doping is doping, I don't care how old you are, but if it is believed to be accidental then he should not be publicly shamed like that.

e-RICHIE
01-14-2019, 10:29 AM
<cut> but if it is believed to be accidental then he should not be publicly shamed like that.

All records are accompanied by a test. That's S.O.P.

Regarding what he ingested and the circumstances, some of you should read the story to find the details rather than scanning the headlines. Without them, the threads are just echo chambers of misinformation.