PDA

View Full Version : Which vintage Campy brake levers are these?

NHAero
01-05-2019, 12:10 PM
Need help in identifying, thank you!

Hindmost
01-05-2019, 01:33 PM
I don't know what they're called. These are the brake-only levers from the Ergo, pre 10-speed era.

m_sasso
01-05-2019, 02:30 PM
The image is from the 1996 Parts and service catalog, black hoods likely Athena, white hoods likely Record.

If I remember correctly these first appeared with the cable access hole around 1992, although not sure they had the cable access hole originally and were around until year 2000.

I do have the 1988 Part and Service Catalog handy and the levers from that year definatly do not have the cable service hole in the front.

zmudshark
01-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Pretty sure they are 1991 Olympus levers. They made a modified lever for the mountain group for use with bar cons and drop bars. Note there is no QR button.

Edit:
Catalog:

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Campagnolo/1991.pdf

Hindmost
01-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure they are 1991 Olympus levers. They made a modified lever for the mountain group for use with bar cons and drop bars. Note there is no QR button.

Edit:
Catalog:

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Campagnolo/1991.pdf

Good catch! I have these set up with MTB cantilevers from that period. I am thinking that the levers are pretty rare.

NHAero
01-05-2019, 05:15 PM
You guys are awesome! They were indeed set up with cantilever brakes and barcon shifters (Shimano though...). Does this mean they have a different pull than levers for caliper brakes?

zmudshark
01-05-2019, 05:25 PM
You guys are awesome! They were indeed set up with cantilever brakes and barcon shifters (Shimano though...). Does this mean they have a different pull than levers for caliper brakes?Yes. I believe that is what the catalog page implies.

oldpotatoe
01-06-2019, 06:23 AM
Need help in identifying, thank you!

YES, Olympus..good eye!!

The last generation Athena(plastic body), Record had metal body..made from 1992 thru Carbon era(2000), all had a QR button on them but essentially the same, when they became carbon ala ERGO w/o the shift guts.
Last gen, spring in lever to aide return, for weaker springs in Delta and Colbato to make brake effort lighter. You could set these up banana cutter but worked best AERO..

Mark McM
01-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Out of curiosity, what's the function of mounting the cable head anchor in the slot?

NHAero
01-07-2019, 10:45 AM
I had the same question - we must both be engineers :)

Out of curiosity, what's the function of mounting the cable head anchor in the slot?

Hindmost
01-07-2019, 12:19 PM
I think the purpose is to accommodate the aero and exposed-cable routing which are directed at about 90-degree angles from each other. Changes the lever arm etc etc.

Mark McM
01-07-2019, 12:40 PM
I think the purpose is to accommodate the aero and exposed-cable routing which are directed at about 90-degree angles from each other. Changes the lever arm etc etc.

With either cable routing, the cable head anchor is going to wind up at the back of the slot. At least, unless there is something to lock the anchor to one end of the slot or the other, but I don't see anything like appearing in the exploded parts view. Maybe it only slides forward to make installing/removing the cable easier?