PDA

View Full Version : Tube Sealants for Flint Stones

mflaherty37
01-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Short of building up Tubeless rims for Dirty Kanza, does anyone have experience with Slime vs. Orange or Stans vs. Finish line directly into the inner tube? Pros and cons of the different sealants, will they all work in an inner tube?

srsoltis
01-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Check out this review as well as part two.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_1_4147.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

Jellybird3
01-04-2019, 12:52 PM
I've used Stan's and Orange Seal in both road tubes and tubeless mtb tires. Both perform very well, but I've found that Orange Seal lasts longer and when it does dry out, it's doesn't turn into the sponge-ish stuff that Stan's does. I now only use Orange Seal.

hummus_aquinas
01-04-2019, 01:07 PM
I'm going to second jellybird's experience- I've used both, they both technically work, orange seal generates no stanimals.
My valves gummed up with orange seal and I have to clean them out every so often. Remove core, plunge valve with an old spoke, dissolve any sealant in the core itself with a lighter fluid bath. O-rings seem to be ok after bath.

pakora
01-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Nobody seems to agree with me but the Kanza route doesn't have sharp rocks in it. It's clay with some rocks like most of what I've seen in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic.

The Flint Hills are where many arrowheads were found according to the magazine that they have out at registration last year.

Western Washington's rocks are way sharper and more treacherous!

I rode Compass tires tubeless (Wade's Secret Sauce homebrew sealant) without a problem.

pakora
01-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Oops I jumped the gun without reading you're asking about tubes! Sorry.

jtbadge
01-04-2019, 03:02 PM
I've used Stan's and Orange Seal in both road tubes and tubeless mtb tires. Both perform very well, but I've found that Orange Seal lasts longer and when it does dry out, it's doesn't turn into the sponge-ish stuff that Stan's does. I now only use Orange Seal.

I have also found this experience to be true.

lhuerta
01-04-2019, 03:05 PM
I have used them all for tubulars application (Stans, Orange Seal and others) and nothing is as effective as Bontrager TLR. All it takes is about 1/2 an ounce and ur ready to go. This stuff does not dry out or clump in your tires (as long as u ride regularly) and I have never had a valve clog. YMMV

jdh
01-04-2019, 07:02 PM
I'd vote for new tubeless wheels.
I used Orange Seal Endurance. Never noticed anything during the ride but when I got home from Kansas, I found sealant on my seat tube and stays.

John