PDA

View Full Version : Are ISPs going the way of the dodo?

Veloo
01-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Looking at the offerings of a few mainstream brands (Giant, Trek, Spec, Cervelo), I'm not seeing ISPs much or at all. At most, seems to be an ISP that only runs midway up.
I never used or rode a bike with one but I'm guessing the disadvantages outweighed the advantages?

R3awak3n
01-04-2019, 08:00 AM
A blessing really and you are right, seems like they are going away.

I had an ISP and was cool looking and aero but when the frame cracked I asked the builder to put a nice 27.2 seatpost on there. Looks much better, Actually lighter because I have a carbon post now and I can adjust everything to my liking. I actually think the bike rides better now, maybe its in my head, maybe its the carbon post but to me its better.

Veloo
01-04-2019, 08:08 AM
I'm a bit surprised the inner diameter just happened to fit 27.2. Or did your builder have to do any mods to the area?

A blessing really and you are right, seems like they are going away.

I had an ISP and was cool looking and aero but when the frame cracked I asked the builder to put a nice 27.2 seatpost on there. Looks much better, Actually lighter because I have a carbon post now and I can adjust everything to my liking. I actually think the bike rides better now, maybe its in my head, maybe its the carbon post but to me its better.

Cloozoe
01-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Going the way of the dodo? One can only hope.

Black Dog
01-04-2019, 08:14 AM
ISP's seemed like they were more about marketing and a little bit of weight savings. Really a solution to a problem that no one had or wanted. Probably made it cheaper to build frames. All the pros to the manufacturers and all the cons to the buyers.

R3awak3n
01-04-2019, 08:16 AM
I'm a bit surprised the inner diameter just happened to fit 27.2. Or did your builder have to do any mods to the area?

New seatube all together :) the isp was custom and aero shaped so that was replaced completely

saab2000
01-04-2019, 08:17 AM
I always kind of wanted a bike with an ISP and I'm really, really glad I never got one. Lots of stories of trouble, often hard to sell and makes shipping or packing a frame quite a challenge.

Seemed like a marketing ploy with very few upsides for the rider.

But they looked cool on some bikes, I'll definitely grant that much.

nooneline
01-04-2019, 08:24 AM
Yeah, it's fine if they go.

Very few companies did them right. I like Trek's approach - they have caps of various sizes, don't they? So if you get a bike where the mast is cut a little too short, you can buy a longer cap. It gives a lot more room for adjustment, while still doing whatever a mast does to the seatjunction that makes it an appealing design solution.

I also liked Felt's approach for the TK1 - a replaceable, hard-stop seatpost/mast. It means that if you cut it wrong, or buy it used, you're not SOL. But you still get all the reassurance of a system that essentially cannot slip.

But companies that are willing to actually put in the problem-solving work are rare, and I think most just copied what's out there - built a mast, add a topper, and let the customer roll the dice and eat the depreciation.

El Chaba
01-04-2019, 08:25 AM
I think the idea was pretty good. That is there is a lot going on at the seat cluster and it was a way of moving the seat clamp away a bit and potentially eliminating a source if stress/failure. In practice, the problem was that an ISP leaves the final sizing (cutting) with the end user/shop. I have seen some pretty butchered jobs that would completely negate any benefits and then some.

smontanaro
01-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Sorry. What's an ISP? It only means "Internet Service Provider" to me.

Hellgate
01-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Sorry. What's an ISP? It only means "Internet Service Provider" to me.Integrated Seatpost.

one60
01-04-2019, 08:42 AM
TIME has been making frames with ISP's for many years and offers many models with the option for an ISP or seatpost. The approach TIME uses is somewhat unique. Instead of a topper they utilize a clamp at the top of the ISP and a short seatpost for adjustability. I've never had an issue with slipping or packing on this size M frame. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase another ISP based bike...particularly a TIME!

Blue Jays
01-04-2019, 08:42 AM
”...What's an ISP?...”
Integrated Seatpost.

b33
01-04-2019, 08:45 AM
TIME has been making frames with ISP's for many years and offers many models with the option for an ISP or seatpost. The approach TIME uses is somewhat unique.

Man, I love me some TIME bikes!

sparky33
01-04-2019, 08:55 AM
My incoming ti-carbon Firefly will have an ISP. While I agree that it won't change a thing about how the bike rides and will certainly diminish secondary value, it will look fantastic.

And quite frankly, if I was being pragmatic I would purchase something reasonable off the shelf (with a seatpost) and get on with riding, but that's not really the point in this case.

EDS
01-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Looking at the offerings of a few mainstream brands (Giant, Trek, Spec, Cervelo), I'm not seeing ISPs much or at all. At most, seems to be an ISP that only runs midway up.
I never used or rode a bike with one but I'm guessing the disadvantages outweighed the advantages?

Of the companies listed only Giant offered a bike with a real ISP in the past 10+ years. They still do I believe.

Ridley had ISP bikes, though I am not sure if they still do. Not sure what other companies offered ISPs (other than custom/semi-custom options like Speedvagen, Seven, etc.).

pdonk
01-04-2019, 09:01 AM
My incoming ti-carbon Firefly will have an ISP. While I agree that it won't change a thing about how the bike rides and will certainly diminish secondary value, it will look fantastic.

And quite frankly, if I was being pragmatic I would purchase something reasonable off the shelf (with a seatpost) and get on with riding, but that's not really the point in this case.

I am in the same situation and agree with you 100%.

My incoming speedvagen has a carbon ISP. Could have gone with something "rationale" but what fun would that be.

Maybe an ISP appreciation thread is needed.

CSKeller
01-04-2019, 09:04 AM
I never had a problem with ISPs on the Look 595 Ultra I used to own or my current Look 695. They ride great! No harshness even on century rides.

The only 'issue' I came across is when an inexperienced mechanic cut my 595 post too short. I told them it was unacceptable (even though I could get the correct seat height with numerous spacers). They replaced the frame for me at the time Look was changing over to the 695. I paid the difference and upgraded.

Although, I still keep an eye open for a XL Look 595 Ultra in excellent condition...I really like that lug carbon ride. :hello:

-dustin
01-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Look did/ does ISPs right. I love their system.

Hilltopperny
01-04-2019, 09:20 AM
This is my only experience with an ISP bicycle. I have very limited time on it and have not cut the ISP down. It is a very smooth riding bike from my limited time on the saddle and probably wasn't the most rational bike I've bought, but I thought it was pretty cool looking and it is a sweet ride.

I don't think I'd buy another bike with one unless it was a mixed materials frame like this one. Don't really see any performance advantage of it, but if your into unique bikes and it'll fit I don't really see a drawback either.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190104/29b784b4342b90e9decc9fd0dd01ab49.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

KarlC
01-04-2019, 09:43 AM
I am in the same situation and agree with you 100%.

My incoming speedvagen has a carbon ISP. Could have gone with something "rationale" but what fun would that be.

Maybe an ISP appreciation thread is needed.

Yes, yes it is, love me some ISP

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1924/44887512761_10e7faf7f1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2boyeFP)Bora Ultra (https://flic.kr/p/2boyeFP)

Gummee
01-04-2019, 09:52 AM
I really liked my Boone. I'd buy another Trek with the Isospeed doo-jobbie if I ever go away from all FN Bicycles bikes.

It takes me a long time to get the saddle position just right. Lots of moving the seatpost up a mm, then down a mm, while moving the seat around the same. Repeat till I get 'the right spot.' ISPs like on my Giant TCR made that a chore. The shims were a PITA to install or remove. AMHIK how easy it is to drop one of the shims down the seat tube. Ultimately, it didn't fit quite right so I sold it.

I also seem to have short legs and a long torso. If I have to chop the ISP, the next guy down the line may have a bigger PITA getting the bike to fit... None of us 'own' our bikes. We just take care of them for the next owner.

M

Blue Jays
01-04-2019, 10:05 AM
”...None of us 'own' our bikes. We just take care of them for the next owner...”Please enjoy your Patek Philippe watch, too!

NoMoreParagon
01-05-2019, 02:28 PM
I have a Mosaic with ISP and to be honest I would not buy a custom bike without ISP.
I had so many problems with creaking seatposts on ti bikes and if you get steel bike with matched stem and seat post the paint will get scratched.

ISP is more difficult to manufacture, requires tubes that are not very easy to find but the aesthetic and the riding quality in my opinion is great.

I chose Mosaic because is the only Ti builder offering full Ti ISP these days since firefly now only offers carbon ISPs similar to Speedvagen, Passoni, Legend etc.

I don’t care if they will be harder to resell, but I think the look of an ISP bike is unmatched and it can always be retrofit for a standard seatpost clamp.

Traveling is also not an issue since the new Scicon bag accepts ISP frames with no problems.

ls1togo
01-05-2019, 04:35 PM
Got a Ridley Helium ISP...never a problem..rides great,..quick

adub
01-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Ive got a Giant with an ISP, love it!

R3awak3n
01-05-2019, 09:00 PM
I have a Mosaic with ISP and to be honest I would not buy a custom bike without ISP.
I had so many problems with creaking seatposts on ti bikes and if you get steel bike with matched stem and seat post the paint will get scratched.

ISP is more difficult to manufacture, requires tubes that are not very easy to find but the aesthetic and the riding quality in my opinion is great.

I chose Mosaic because is the only Ti builder offering full Ti ISP these days since firefly now only offers carbon ISPs similar to Speedvagen, Passoni, Legend etc.

I don’t care if they will be harder to resell, but I think the look of an ISP bike is unmatched and it can always be retrofit for a standard seatpost clamp.

Traveling is also not an issue since the new Scicon bag accepts ISP frames with no problems.

As I said, not a fan of ISP but when I saw it on your bike I thought it looked absolutely amazing. Fits that bike perfectly.

quickfeet
01-05-2019, 09:44 PM
I think ISP frames have the LOOK imho. I have a custom sscx that I will never sell so I’ve never cared about what someone will pay for it.

I called independent fabrication way back in the early 2000’s asking for one and they literally made fun of me on the phone. Said it was the dumbest idea ever for a steel frame and they had no interest in doing it for me.

I believe that guy runs another company now that is happy to do them so I guess times change.

NoMoreParagon
01-06-2019, 08:09 AM
I think ISP frames have the LOOK imho. I have a custom sscx that I will never sell so I’ve never cared about what someone will pay for it.

I called independent fabrication way back in the early 2000’s asking for one and they literally made fun of me on the phone. Said it was the dumbest idea ever for a steel frame and they had no interest in doing it for me.

I believe that guy runs another company now that is happy to do them so I guess times change.

For a builder it creates an additional liability point which not everybody is ready to take. But in my opinion the hardest part is sourcing taller seat tubes butted in the right way. Columbus has some taller seat tubes for steel frames, but it works only for seat heights in the 730-750mm region...

I looked hard to find a steel ISP and couldn't find any..

NoMoreParagon
01-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Yes, yes it is, love me some ISP

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1924/44887512761_10e7faf7f1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2boyeFP)Bora Ultra (https://flic.kr/p/2boyeFP)

THIS IS AN INCREDIBLY good looking bike..this is exactly what I mean. To me ISP maries form and function in a way not replicable by a standard seat post.

GonaSovereign
01-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Please enjoy your Patek Philippe watch, too!

And unlike an ISP frame Pateks are worth more than you paid when you sell.. :-)