PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever powder coated aluminum rims?

jcs7282
01-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Wondering if anyone here has ever powdered aluminum rims?

Any issues with safety or structural concerns? I wouldn't think so, but, I figured maybe folks here have been there/done that.

I am considering a matte red powder coat on a set of Belgiums to get a nice rat rod look...

JAGI410
01-03-2019, 09:46 AM
A couple guys at the shop have done it, no issues at all.

Vientomas
01-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Rim brake hoops? Brake track?

Joe Remi
01-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Mike Flanigan has done a bunch of them for his A.N.T bikes, but it's for disc, drum or coaster brakes. Assuming you're using discs you should be fine.

cderalow
01-03-2019, 11:05 AM
depending on their current color, you may be better off having them re-anodized.

it'll certainly hold up better than powdercoating.

jcs7282
01-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Thanks all.

Should have stated, these will be disc-specific rims.

Really looking for a matte, fire engine red color (for that rat rod look) so I am not sure Ano would really work all that well...

Joe Remi
01-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Thanks all.

Should have stated, these will be disc-specific rims.

Really looking for a matte, fire engine red color (for that rat rod look) so I am not sure Ano would really work all that well...

Click on the Truss Bikes page to see several examples of that look. It's rad.

https://antbikemike.wordpress.com/

01-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Since these are disc rims you don't have to worry about braking surfaces. Some people have had decent experiences with powder coated braking surfaces, but they can sometimes create problems.

The other issue is gluing surfaces. Powdercoating can be quite unpredictable in terms of gluing tubular tires. If doing tubular rims, it pays to mask the gluing surfaces.