PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Great Rock n Roll Debate (Bon v. Brian et al...)

XXtwindad
01-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Relegated to the stationary bike for awhile, unfortunately. Thinking about my playlists. Lots of musical conundrums over the years: Beatles v Stones (Stones) Old School East Coast v West Coast Punk (East Coast) Old School East v West Coast Rap (East Coast again) and do The Bee Gees suck (hell no!) but here's the debate I'm focusing on: Bon Scott v Brian Johnson. What's the true "AC/DC?"

Here's where I come down: Bon had my favorite song : "Ride On." A great anthem for cycling and for life. Brian had the best album "Back in Black."
It all comes down to whether I want my rock tinged with cerebral angst (Bon Scott) or raw, stripped down garage rock (Brian Johnson).

I'm going loud and pure. Brian Johnson it is.

Other opinions?

FlashUNC
01-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Bon Scott's AC/DC is the garage rock. Brian Johnson is the arena pablum.

No contest. Bon Scott all the way.

XXtwindad
01-02-2019, 08:57 PM
Bon Scott's AC/DC is the garage rock. Brian Johnson is the arena pablum.

No contest. Bon Scott all the way.

I know that's the "purist" take. AC/DShe refuses to play Brian Johnson. But still, if I'm driving down the highway, it's "Back in Black"...

joosttx
01-02-2019, 09:01 PM
The first album I bought I was in 2nd grade. It was Back n Black. That was my first taste of rock-n-roll. So, I may be a little biased.

Blue Jays
01-02-2019, 09:01 PM
I absolutely like both vocalists. My favorite AC/DC tunes are from the Bon Scott era.

William
01-02-2019, 09:02 PM
I'll just park this right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErXbMB9R5-0

Don't forget to crank it up!!:banana:

William

FlashUNC
01-02-2019, 09:05 PM
I know that's the "purist" take. AC/DShe refuses to play Brian Johnson. But still, if I'm driving down the highway, it's "Back in Black"...

As opposed to "Highway to Hell?"

https://media.giphy.com/media/5aLrlDiJPMPFS/giphy.gif

joosttx
01-02-2019, 09:08 PM

That is the song I requested to be played at my funeral.

GOTHBROOKS
01-02-2019, 09:13 PM
angry anderson and rose tattoo

herb5998
01-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Definitely in the Bon Scott camp for this one. Been cycling through a lot of the early albums lately (dirty deeds, powerage, let there be rock) a lot of just great riffs and rock songs, aside from the singles most know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daker13
01-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Bon Scott. But they were a surprisingly good band with Brian Johnson, too.

My musical hot take? The best albums to come from ex-members of the Velvet Underground were released by... Nico.

Louis
01-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Brian Johnson, because of "Back in Black."

That and "Van Halen" (the album) were the best CRANK IT UP albums in college. (So much so that we got a letter from Matt Tuck's current employers, telling us to cool it because we started partying too early in the afternoon a few Fridays in a row.)

pinkshogun
01-02-2019, 10:26 PM
Bon for sure but Brian took them to heights that Bon could not

XXtwindad
01-02-2019, 10:48 PM

Oops. Set myself up :)

72gmc
01-02-2019, 10:50 PM
Bon > Brian
David Lee > Sammy
Phil C > Peter G (when it comes to Genesis, that is)
Roger W > David G
Ziggy > The Thin White Duke

XXtwindad
01-02-2019, 11:00 PM
I'll just park this right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErXbMB9R5-0

Holy crap! Look at Angus! As a personal trainer, I should tell my clients "try to emulate him for 30 minutes." Musically, however, the "Bon" era had too much prog rock stuff going on. Too much virtuosity for its own sake.

William

William[/QUOTE]

jtakeda
01-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Marcus hook roll band

XXtwindad
01-02-2019, 11:04 PM
Bon > Brian
Nope.

David Lee > Sammy
Well, yeah.

You're kidding, right?

Roger W > David G
That's a tough one.

Too close to call ...

XXtwindad
01-02-2019, 11:08 PM
Marcus hook roll band

Wow. Good one. Well played ...

sfo1
01-02-2019, 11:28 PM
Street fighter vs crooner

I couldn’t honestly name a single song or album after Back in Black.

No dis to Mr. Johnson but it’s kind of like comparing the Clash to Def Leppard in 1980.

Gritty, fast, ugly and loud vs nice hair, pretty faces, well-rehearsed and marketability.

Louis
01-02-2019, 11:59 PM
In a distantly related matter...

Ignore - I see Bruce has already covered this.

Plum Hill
01-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Not into the band, but Brian Johnson has some mighty nice vintage sports and racing cars.

Bob Ross
01-03-2019, 05:16 AM
I have no business being in this thread; I detest both singers.
But I do wish AC/DC had released an instrumental album, because Malcolm Young, Cliff Williams, and Phil Rudd were an incredibly tight, punchy rhythm section.

CNY rider
01-03-2019, 05:47 AM
Bon > Brian
David Lee > Sammy
Roger W > David G

I’ll see you and raise with
Ronnie James Dio> Ozzy

Bentley
01-03-2019, 05:48 AM
Musical opinions border on political. I’m Agnostic, I’ll listen to just about anything but CW. Oops, I’m sure I crossed the line.

😂😂

Ray

ojingoh
01-03-2019, 05:56 AM
I have no business being in this thread; I detest both singers.
But I do wish AC/DC had released an instrumental album, because Malcolm Young, Cliff Williams, and Phil Rudd were an incredibly tight, punchy rhythm section.

Agree. Malcolm, and in particular his right hand, was the genius in the band.

Singers - have to give the edge to Bon Scott. Bon was a good-becoming-great lyricist. His last two albums are just terrific, but Powerage is one of those perfect records - production, songwriting, performance - it's all there.

Black had a lot of great songs ,though. To be fair, the tunes are the best part of that album, then the Mutt Lange production, then the singing. Back in Black is their best song, and guess what it's about Bon.

William
01-03-2019, 06:46 AM
Holy crap! Look at Angus! As a personal trainer, I should tell my clients "try to emulate him for 30 minutes." Musically, however, the "Bon" era had too much prog rock stuff going on. Too much virtuosity for its own sake.

I'm not the biggest fan of packaged within the lines songs. I don't mind a bit of virtuosity when the musician can play/improvise and demonstrate some mastery with their particular instrument.

I have nothing against Brian Johnson, but Bon has that gritty energy that hits home. That said I can listen to both.

W.

parris
01-03-2019, 06:53 AM
Good subject! One that I'm not going to touch! William thanks for the link. For anyone thats interested theres a decent You Tube video from Premier Guitar on Angus and Malcolms setups.

r_mutt
01-03-2019, 07:19 AM

Peter Gabriel > Phil Collins (when it comes to solo work)

johnniecakes
01-03-2019, 07:30 AM
Ronnie James Dio> Ozzy

I am in for this one

Ian Gillian > David Cloverdale

William
01-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Bon > Brian
David Lee > Sammy
Roger W > David G

No, just no, not at all...:p

I will concede that RW was the main creative driver in Pink Floyd, but DG, RW, and NM together with RW made the sound. RW on his own, nope. His vocals work in harmony, but on his own no. DG by a long shot there plus he a much better musician across a wider swath of instruments. Just watch the Live in Gadansk concert.

I'm a long time Floyd fan and I hated to see RW try to break up the band. I still appreciate their work but realistically, DG head and shoulders imo.

W.

XXtwindad
01-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Good point above. And, since we're still playing ...

Stones> Beatles!

grateful
01-04-2019, 03:45 PM
This should end the discussion (but it won't).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUXMzkh-jI

Bagpipes, Malcom and Angus!

72gmc
01-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Peter Gabriel > Phil Collins (when it comes to solo work)

yes, by a mile.

72gmc
01-04-2019, 03:59 PM

I will concede that RW was the main creative driver in Pink Floyd, but DG, RW, and NM together with RW made the sound. RW on his own, nope. His vocals work in harmony, but on his own no. DG by a long shot there plus he a much better musician across a wider swath of instruments. Just watch the Live in Gadansk concert.

I'm a long time Floyd fan and I hated to see RW try to break up the band. I still appreciate their work but realistically, DG head and shoulders imo.

W.

I can't compete with your Floyd knowledge. I just prefer their music during-Roger to post-Roger.

fixieporteur
01-04-2019, 04:07 PM
This should end the discussion (but it won't).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUXMzkh-jI

Bagpipes, Malcom and Angus!

+1 holy woodwinds! I forgot about the bagpipes. LIKE!

01-05-2019, 07:55 AM
angry anderson and rose tattoo

Agreed, just never understood why they were always hugging on their album covers.

for those who are unaware:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiNCbWuisA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azbv4wS8i_s

jamesdak
01-05-2019, 08:12 AM
I'm totally in the Brian camp. Of course, Angus was and is the true star.

jamesdak
01-05-2019, 08:16 AM

W.

Such an AMAZING band!

Rada
01-05-2019, 09:13 AM
Street fighter vs crooner

I couldn’t honestly name a single song or album after Back in Black.

No dis to Mr. Johnson but it’s kind of like comparing the Clash to Def Leppard in 1980.

Gritty, fast, ugly and loud vs nice hair, pretty faces, well-rehearsed and marketability.

Sums it for me.

As for Pink Floyd, the big line up change was when Gilmour replaced Syd Barrett.

Jeff N.
01-05-2019, 09:26 AM
I've always been amazed at how BJ was almost instantly accepted after BS's death. Rarely has a new front man been accepted that quickly. But then, I think Angus is the catalyst. He is irreplaceable.

Red Tornado
01-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Bon > Brian
David Lee > Sammy
Roger W > David G

Bon>Brian
Not sure. For me their styles were just different enough that I don't know if you can really say one was better; they were just different. I prefer the Bon Scott era.

David Lee>Sammy
Agree 100%.
The downfall of VH began when they went synth with 1984 (I'm sure many will disagree). Closely followed by the departure of DLR and arrival of Sammy.
Never was a fan of Sammy either pre-during-post VH and I can't put my finger on any one particular reason why, but the guy just never did it for me. "Van Hagar" was an abomination IMO.

Red Tornado
01-05-2019, 10:17 AM
i have no business being in this thread; i detest both singers.
But i do wish ac/dc had released an instrumental album, because malcolm young, cliff williams, and phil rudd were an incredibly tight, punchy rhythm section.
+100 with regard to Malcom, Cliff & Phil.

CNY rider
01-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Bon>Brian
Not sure. For me their styles were just different enough that I don't know if you can really say one was better; they were just different. I prefer the Bon Scott era.

David Lee>Sammy
Agree 100%.
The downfall of VH began when they went synth with 1984 (I'm sure many will disagree). Closely followed by the departure of DLR and arrival of Sammy.
Never was a fan of Sammy either pre-during-post VH and I can't put my finger on any one particular reason why, but the guy just never did it for me. "Van Hagar" was an abomination IMO.

Not only would I NOT disagree but I would say you are 100% correct.
1984 makes me cringe.

CNY rider
01-05-2019, 12:02 PM
I've always been amazed at how BJ was almost instantly accepted after BS's death. Rarely has a new front man been accepted that quickly. But then, I think Angus is the catalyst. He is irreplaceable.

I think BJ had one and only one chance. Had Back in Black not been the incredible album it was, I think he (and possibly the band) would have gone down the tubes.
But he succeeded in a situation where there was no margin for error.

Jeff N.
01-05-2019, 12:44 PM
1984 makes me cringe.For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was.....there's no words.......awful.

sfo1
01-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Highway was THE album that was going to make him an elite front man.

That would have been a tough album to follow up....

Singers - have to give the edge to Bon Scott. Bon was a good-becoming-great lyricist.

echelon_john
01-05-2019, 01:04 PM
I dunno. It was definitely the first step toward “Why Can’t This Be Love?” and for that reason alone I could slag it. But Hot For Teacher and Panama could easily be in the top 10 Van Halen songs, along with Mean Street, Unchained, Runnin’ With The Devil...

1984 makes me cringe.

XXtwindad
01-05-2019, 01:28 PM
The Jam or the Style Council? I loved some of the Jam's stuff, but the SC is on the "Top Ten" list ...

echelon_john
01-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Opposite for me. I have huge love for Weller, but the SC stuff was too soft for me. OTOH I like the later Roxy Music stuff as well as the earlier, Virginia Plain-era, so there’s obviously no accounting for taste.

The first Weller solo album with Bull Rushes, Above the Clouds, etc. was fantastic.

The Jam or the Style Council? I loved some of the Jam's stuff, but the SC is on the "Top Ten" list ...

GonaSovereign
01-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Ronnie James Dio> Ozzy

Without question. Although the very best Sabbath records had Ozzy.

GonaSovereign
01-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Let's also be clear about one point. If you ask anyone in the band, they'll tell you Malcolm Young was reason ACDC was the band it was. He wrote most of those riffs you have playing in your head right now.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2017/11/18/17/malcolm-young-5.jpg?w968

CNY rider
01-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Without question. Although the very best Sabbath records had Ozzy.

I love Ozzy but Heaven and Hell is the best Sabbath record.....:p

GOTHBROOKS
01-05-2019, 06:15 PM
Agreed, just never understood why they were always hugging on their album covers.
nice boys DO play rock and roll.

XXtwindad
01-05-2019, 09:00 PM
If a little cheesy. Five seminal bands from "Across the Pond" whose heyday was in the Sixties or Seventies. "American Idol" style with their best song (IMO)

5) The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again"
4) Zeppelin "Kashmir"
3) The Beatles "Let it Be"
2) The Stones "Sympathy for the Devil"
1) Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb"

Thoughts?

Duende
01-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Bon.

Red Tornado
01-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Ronnie James Dio> Ozzy

RJD had a very unique and powerful voice. Liked his solo stuff the best. Started in music as a classically trained trumpet player. He was a little "out there", but one heck of a front man.

William
01-07-2019, 10:18 AM
I can't compete with your Floyd knowledge. I just prefer their music during-Roger to post-Roger.

No problem, people like what they like.:cool:

I would concede that creatively they were down a notch without RW, but musically they have improved a lot over time. Again check out the Live at Gadansk concert where DG, RW, and NM are all on stage accompanied by...

Jon Carin
Guy Pratt
Phil Manzanera
Dick Parry
Steve DiStanislao
Zbigniew Preisner
Leszek Możdżer
Polish Baltic Philharmonic orchestra
Igor Sklyarov

Arguably some of the best sounding live Pink Floyd tracks played in this concert imo. Echos was pretty amazing and I believe the last time RW played it before he passed away.

Echoes if you have 25 minutes to watch. YT quality but give it a go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZBOCbX2v8o

Shine On You Crazy Diamond...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3AosAlaODw

William

Bob Ross
01-07-2019, 11:22 AM
check out the Live at Gadansk concert where DG, RW, and NM are all on stage accompanied by...

Jon Carin
Guy Pratt
Phil Manzanera
Dick Parry
Steve DiStanislao
Zbigniew Preisner
Leszek Możdżer
Polish Baltic Philharmonic orchestra
Igor Sklyarov

Yeah, but in fairness, if Hanson were accompanied by that band they'd sound pretty freakin' awesome too.

William
01-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Yeah, but in fairness, if Hanson were accompanied by that band they'd sound pretty freakin' awesome too.

True dat, true dat. But watch DG play live there....

W.