PDA

View Full Version : Bell vs Giro Helmets

campy man
01-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Is it my imagination but do some Bell helmets look similar to Giro?

Looking to get a new helmet, the Giro helmets work good for me but there are a couple Bell helmets that look similar and less expensive.

Friends don't let friends ride cheap helmets :banana:

echappist
01-02-2019, 04:17 PM
owned by the same company

R3awak3n
01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
I just got a Giro Synth Mips (from forum sponsor biketiresdirect) for a great deal. I too like giro helmets.

I had a kask protone and its super nice, also pretty expensive but construction seems better than Giro imo. However, after having it for like 6 months and now crashing it I borrowed my wifes Giro and have to say the Giro just fits my head better so I picked a synth... also MIPS seems to be all the rage (I have a mips cinder as well but its at my parents house).'

Interesting you mention bell because I was just looking at them and thought the same, very similar shape to giro.

Mark McM
01-02-2019, 04:27 PM
Both Bell and Giro are owned by Vista Outdoors, which also owns a variety of other outdoor athletic and shooting sports brands, such as Blackburn, Camelbak, Bushnell, Savage, American Eagle, etc.

https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/

I suppose it is possible that there are some Bell and Giro helmets that are similar, but formerly both companies operated independently and produced their own different products. One primary difference between the two helmet brands was that they each had their own fit - Bell helmets traditionally are designed to fit a more oblong shaped head, while Giro helmets are designed to fit a rounder shaped head. Bell helmets fit me well, but Giro helmets do not.

jtbadge
01-02-2019, 04:28 PM
Both brands are owned by Vista Outdoor, along with Blackburn, Camelback, and a bunch of hunting/shooting brands.

Peter P.
01-02-2019, 04:42 PM
As others have mentioned, they're owned by the same company.

You would think they would try to differentiate their brands so they could appeal to a wider audience.

They have, in that if you look at their sizing charts, they vary just slightly between the two. It becomes personal preference with me as I am borderline between sizes and prefer the one with the smaller overall size.

However, when it comes to head shape, you'll discover both brands are made with the same head shape form.

I've owned both brands and either fits me fine.

OP: What size do you wear? If it's a Bell size Small, I may have an offer that you can't refuse. ;)

CNY rider
01-02-2019, 06:05 PM
As others have mentioned, they're owned by the same company.

You would think they would try to differentiate their brands so they could appeal to a wider audience.

They have, in that if you look at their sizing charts, they vary just slightly between the two. It becomes personal preference with me as I am borderline between sizes and prefer the one with the smaller overall size.

However, when it comes to head shape, you'll discover both brands are made with the same head shape form.

I've owned both brands and either fits me fine.

OP: What size do you wear? If it's a Bell size Small, I may have an offer that you can't refuse. ;)

That's definitely a change.
I have a big round shaped head and Bell always fit me but Giro was uncomfortable.
I haven't bought from either in a few years though.

rinconryder
01-02-2019, 06:21 PM
I have a big round shaped head and Bell always fit me but Giro was uncomfortable.

+1 I have a rounder head and loved bell but could never get comfortable in a giro. But like CNY I haven’t had a bell in a while as I switched to the specialized prevail and never looked back.

fixieporteur
01-02-2019, 07:45 PM
+1 for Bell fitting better on my cranium.

For years, I tried on a lot, and even bought 2 or 3 Giro helmets that had huge gaps where the back of the helmet met the back of my head. Does that mean I have a round cranium?

I currently have 6 Bell and 1 Giro. My current Giro seems to work by using an updated Roc Loc mechanism that fits the back of my head better than earlier Giro helmets. :)

ScottW
01-03-2019, 12:55 PM
I have one Bell and one Giro at the moment and my head is a size L in each. I don't discern much difference in the fit of the outer shells, but the inner adjustable plastic cradle bits on the Bell sit pretty far down and close to the top of my ears, which can become annoying if I don't get it positioned "just so." The Giro has those parts sitting a little higher up my head, which is less finicky for comfort. The Giro is a Synthe (non-MIPS) that I picked up last year, and the Bell I've had for a few years and forget which specific model, but it's a non-fancy non-light non-aero type. I pretty much use the Bell for MTB and the Giro for road.

Ronsonic
01-03-2019, 07:48 PM

My big square head likes Giro better.

Hindmost
01-03-2019, 09:10 PM
...Bell helmets traditionally are designed to fit a more oblong shaped head, while Giro helmets are designed to fit a rounder shaped head...

A few years back I was pleasantly surprised to discover that one fit better than the other. I wonder if it's still the case?

thirdgenbird
01-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Maybe not surprisingly, Bell motorcycle helmets are usualy more oval that others. (I just picked up a Race Star on closeout that fits me snugger yet more comfortable than anything else I’ve tried)

harblhat
01-04-2019, 11:49 AM
+1 I have a rounder head and loved bell but could never get comfortable in a giro. But like CNY I haven’t had a bell in a while as I switched to the specialized prevail and never looked back.

After cracking my Synthe (size L) I found that the Bell Z20 (size M) fit me very well. My head is definitely round, not oval. Giro size M always used to squeeze my temples, and I've had quite a few Giro helmets (Synthe, Atmos, Animas) all in size L to avoid this problem.