PDA

View Full Version : Sidi Zero Gore-Tex Cycling Shoes - anyone using them?

dbnm
01-02-2019, 02:44 PM
After a few rides with seriously cold feet, I decided to order Sidi Zero Gore-Tex Cycling Shoes. (https://www.competitivecyclist.com/sidi-zero-gore-tex-cycling-shoe-mens?skidn=SID009J-BK-S40&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6WmVybyBHb3JlLVRleCBDeWNsaW5 nIFNob2U6MToxOlplcm8gR29yZS1UZXggQ3ljbGluZyBTaG9l)

Anyone using them?

Blue Jays
01-02-2019, 02:57 PM
They do seem to help. I mostly like mine.
SIDI truly needs to upgrade that upper velcro strap with a superior ratchet or BOA closure, though.
They typically loosen and then (naturally) flop into the chain while pedaling.

Mark McM
01-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Where your feet cold because they were wet? If so, Gore-Tex shoes may help. If the problem wasn't wet feet, then I don't think Gore-Tex shoes will help.

My feet also tend to get cold when riding in very cold weather. There are several models of MTB shoes that are insulated, but very few road shoes that are. Most "winter" road shoes are simply waterproofed, but have no extra insulation.

Currently, my solution to cold feet in road shoes is to wear slightly oversized shoes so I can wear thicker socks, and to install battery powered heated insoles.

Moneywatch
01-02-2019, 04:31 PM
I have 2 pairs from different generations. These booties keeps me riding in the winter. I went up a size so I could wear thicker socks depending on the temperature.

glepore
01-02-2019, 05:21 PM
I have the prior generation as well. The goretex not only waterproofs, but windproofs as well. Given that they are slightly large in stock form, they easily take a thick merino sock. For me, its enough to get down into the low 30's. Beyond that, I don't know, as my tolerance for freezing roads is zero.

dbnm
01-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Trying them out today.

Moneywatch
01-05-2019, 02:26 PM
Did you get them in your usual size or did you go a size up to accommodate thicker socks?

dbnm
01-05-2019, 04:34 PM
I usually wear 44.5 and I was told to buy 45 for the thicker sock. The fit is really good.

dbnm
01-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Just got home from a ride that had me outside for about 3.5 hours and 42 miles. Average temp was about 40F.

The shoes are very comfortable. I went up a half size large than I usually wear. The fit is good and meant for winter socks. About two hours in, my right foot started to get a little cold. I stopped and wiggled a bit and things got better.

I should note that there was a lot of snow and (wet) run off of the bike path today.

All in all I am very satisfied with the shoes.

b33
01-05-2019, 05:59 PM
^^^^^ What he just said. I've never had a pair as I typically don't go out on those types of days, but people I know who do have been using them for 15 plus years say they work. I would buy them in a second if I did ride in this weather - also saves your cranks from the "scuff" marks. Sidi is a great cycling-friendly brand.