PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Torque Couplers

British
11-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I have a quick question for anyone familiar with BTC Bicycle Torque Couplers.

When the frame is split apart is it possible to see all the way inside the top and down tubes? Or, are the tubes sealed off at the couplers?

Cheers!

Bradford
11-18-2006, 04:05 PM
I can see into the tubes on my S&S couplers. There is a sponge there, but you can take out the sponge and look down the tubes.

Brian Smith
11-18-2006, 10:05 PM
All steel Serottas with couplers use the included stainless discs inside the couplers to "seal off" from view the insides of the tubes. The sponge was an older type of the S&S system. Some builders choose to leave 'em off, but we use(d) them. Steel couplers are, basically, NLA at Serotta.

British
11-19-2006, 03:49 AM
...and if the couplers and frame are titanium are the tubes also sealed with discs, or are they open?

Smiley
11-19-2006, 09:44 AM
All steel Serottas with couplers use the included stainless discs inside the couplers to "seal off" from view the insides of the tubes. The sponge was an older type of the S&S system. Some builders choose to leave 'em off, but we use(d) them. Steel couplers are, basically, NLA at Serotta.
NLA= No Longer Available ! But I got mine :banana:

Seriously the Ti couplers are still availble and its the way to go using couplers IMHO. best of luck and thanks Brian for brazing my S&S couplers :)

Peter B
11-19-2006, 11:46 AM
S&S provides the sealing discs with the couplings. Your builder decides whether to install them. I had Steve Rex leave them out of my steel frame. Check out the S&S website here. (http://www.sandsmachine.com/)

British
11-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Would there be any good reason(s) not to have the discs installed?