PDA

View Full Version : Fork Upgrade

grateful
01-01-2019, 02:45 PM
I would like to replace the Ouzo Pro fork on my Hampsten Titanio. I would like to spec an Enve. I know the Enve has a shorter a to c measurement then the Ouzo. What rake would you recommend I order to keep the handling similar (maybe leaning towards stability) . I do have a King headset so there is the option of the 5mm baseplate.

Ken Robb
01-01-2019, 03:00 PM
How will this improve your bike?

grateful
01-01-2019, 03:35 PM
The fork has an unknown history. Want to be safe!

prototoast
01-01-2019, 03:51 PM
The geometry chart pictured doesn't match an ouzo pro axle-to-crown, so I can't really say what you have now. An Enve 45mm rake fork will be pretty close to the drawing, but iirc ouzo forks were 372 axle to crown and available in 40, 43, and 45 rakes. All will handle with a bit more stability than the Enve 45.

The +5 baseplate on an Enve will match the a-c on the Ouzo, but if the Ouzo has a 40mm rake, Enve doesn't make one. An Enve 43 with a +5 will probably be the safest bet unless you can find out more about your current fork, but it definitely won't match what's pictured in that geometry sheet.

grateful
01-01-2019, 03:54 PM
I was wondering if the geometry chart included the stack of the lower headset. that brings it close to 372mm.

happycampyer
01-01-2019, 04:02 PM
I would go with Steve Hampsten's suggestion across the hall, and get the King 5 mm (tall) baseplate to compensate for the Enve fork's shorter a-to-c height. With a 73.5º headtube, I would probably go for the 43mm rake fork if you want the handling more toward the stable side.

If you don't get the tall baseplate, then the 40 mm rake Enve fork would b probably be the better choice to offset the increase in headtube angle/reduced trail that the shorter fork would create. A hta pushing 74º is on the steep side, especially if you are looking for steering stability.

Another option is to get a fork from Holland. I think their "ML" fork is made by Mike Lopez, and is basically the same fork as the old Serotta F3, which has the same a-to-c height as the Ouzo Pro (which Mike Lopez designed, fwiw). You may be able to find a NOS Serotta fork, but that will take some patience.

I was wondering if the geometry chart included the stack of the lower headset. that brings it close to 372mm.Pretty sure Steve confirmed this (if only implicitly) in his response ath.

tv_vt
01-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Enve does, or did, make a 40mm rake 2.0 fork. I have one. I think that rake would work for what you're after. If the fork on the frame now is a 45mm rake, even a 43 Enve fork would be OK.

happycampyer
01-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Enve does, or did, make a 40mm rake 2.0 fork. I have one. I think that rake would work for what you're after. If the fork on the frame now is a 45mm rake, even a 43 Enve fork would be OK.It appears to be available in 40/43/45/50 mm rakes:

https://www.enve.com/en/products/road-fork/

PacNW2Ford
01-01-2019, 04:11 PM
I’d ask Steve. My Hampsten drawings show the lower headset cup and reflect the true length of the fork, the oldest is from 2011. I wonder if it was built for a steel fork as 365mm is a common length for one. If you’re still looking for a 372mm carbon fork, Mike Lopez and Holland Cycles are still making them.

PacNW2Ford
01-01-2019, 04:12 PM
Slow typing dooms me again...

grateful
01-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Can you send me a link to the response from Steve ATH?

Thanks,
Brad

I would go with Steve Hampsten's suggestion across the hall, and get the King 5 mm (tall) baseplate to compensate for the Enve fork's shorter a-to-c height. With a 73.5º headtube, I would probably go for the 43mm rake fork if you want the handling more toward the stable side.

If you don't get the tall baseplate, then the 40 mm rake Enve fork would b probably be the better choice to offset the increase in headtube angle/reduced trail that the shorter fork would create. A hta pushing 74º is on the steep side, especially if you are looking for steering stability.

Another option is to get a fork from Holland. I think their "ML" fork is made by Mike Lopez, and is basically the same fork as the old Serotta F3, which has the same a-to-c height as the Ouzo Pro (which Mike Lopez designed, fwiw). You may be able to find a NOS Serotta fork, but that will take some patience

Pretty sure Steve confirmed this (if only implicitly) in his response ath.

dave thompson
01-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Here.

happycampyer
01-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Can you send me a link to the response from Steve ATH?

Thanks,
BradHere you go:

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f22/hampsten-cycles-18700-14.html#post938904

PacNW2Ford
01-01-2019, 06:33 PM
I’d ask Steve. My Hampsten drawings show the lower headset cup and reflect the true length of the fork, the oldest is from 2011. I wonder if it was built for a steel fork as 365mm is a common length for one. If you’re still looking for a 372mm carbon fork, Mike Lopez and Holland Cycles are still making them.

Oh... “384.5” d’oh...

grateful
01-02-2019, 05:56 AM
Thank you all for finding the original post. I certainly did not mean to post it where I did. That is why I could not locate it.

Too much cheer!