PDA

View Full Version : OT: rebranding exists not just in bikes! (bourbon content)

54ny77
01-01-2019, 02:36 PM
Never knew this kind of thing existed. Straight outta the thing we see in bike land where "brands" just slap a logo and paint on something that someone else makes, that "someone" being a big(ger) manufacturer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xgYUQl9WLQ

zzy
01-01-2019, 02:49 PM
The spirits industry is an extreme example of rebranding. Three massive distilleries in the midwest produce the majority of America's (cheap) liquors. But you'd never know because the label only says were it was bottled, not distilled. They even make and bottle to order.

Louis
01-01-2019, 02:54 PM
I'm no expert, but along those same lines I'm pretty sure that many wines are a mix of all sorts of stuff that wasn't necessarily grown at the winery advertised on the label.

Bentley
01-01-2019, 03:09 PM
I'm no expert, but along those same lines I'm pretty sure that many wines are a mix of all sorts of stuff that wasn't necessarily grown at the winery advertised on the label.

Not uncommon for Wineries to buy grapes from growers or other Wineries. That said, I suspect that using “”sourced” wine for blending is not that common in “boutique” wineries, Not sure about the Mega-Wineries (Gallo/Mondavi).

I know buying spirits and “aging” Whiskey is commonly done.

Ray

54ny77
01-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Some will have an "estate grown" label or even more detail identifying a particular plot of land within the estate, so as to differentiate the grapes/vines. But yes, wineries buy grapes from all over the place for a variety of reasons. That's gone on for ages in CA (I haven't the slightest if it happens overseas, but would venture it's the same situation). From there, they take on the task of producing wine.

But, that's quite a bit different than simply rebranding someone else's product.

I've never heard of wineries blending already-produced wine into their own branded product, but maybe that does indeed happen.

pdmtong
01-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Never knew this kind of thing existed. Straight outta the thing we see in bike land where "brands" just slap a logo and paint on something that someone else makes, that "someone" being a big(ger) manufacturer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xgYUQl9WLQ

These bourbons are referred to as NDP - non-distillery producer

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/whiskey/whiskey-ndp/

One sought after example is the now long gone Black Maple Hill. Retailers are trying to get $1,000 for what used to be $35. If anyone wants to give me $1,000 for mine, let me know.
https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/curious-case-black-maple-hill-whiskey/

yngpunk
01-01-2019, 05:51 PM
Some will have an "estate grown" label or even more detail identifying a particular plot of land within the estate, so as to differentiate the grapes/vines. But yes, wineries buy grapes from all over the place for a variety of reasons. That's gone on for ages in CA (I haven't the slightest if it happens overseas, but would venture it's the same situation). From there, they take on the task of producing wine.

But, that's quite a bit different than simply rebranding someone else's product.

I've never heard of wineries blending already-produced wine into their own branded product, but maybe that does indeed happen.

I think a lot of the "house" brand wines use this method, where they will buy barrels from other wine makers/vinyards and then blend them into their own wine...think Trader Joe's/Charles Shaw or Costco/Kirkland.

Apparently, the method originated with French burgundy and such sellers are called a wine négociant.

Might want to check out Cameron Hughes, who does this with California wines and is quite upfront about their process:

https://chwine.com/about/

yngpunk
01-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Some will have an "estate grown" label or even more detail identifying a particular plot of land within the estate, so as to differentiate the grapes/vines.

I think Ridge and Turley do this very well to differentiate their Zinfandel. Ridge even offers an ATP (Advanced Tasting Program) where they make wines from select portions of their vineyards.

sokyroadie
01-01-2019, 06:19 PM
We (work) are in the process of building a barrel dump station where an unnamed maker can take wooden barrels full of straight wood barrel aged? alcohol, dump it into a trough with a perforated filter (to check the big chunks). They will then blend it into their own brand. They buy this from a large producer for $, blend it and sell for $$.

Notice I live in the land of Bourbon (which I HATE)

Jeff

glepore
01-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Look up MGP. Bulliet et al.

bigbill
01-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Last summer I took a liter of Kirkland Bourbon on my Grand Canyon raft trip. A liter will fit in a 32oz Nalgene because of the volume above the last graduation. My understanding is that the bourbon is either Knob Hill or Jim Beam Black, I think mine was Knob Hill which I like. I drank it all on the 8 day trip, a couple of ounces with some ice at dinner and I'd leave about an inch in my coffee tumbler each evening to have with my coffee in the am.

And as far as Bulleit Rye being factory made for most of its existence, it was still a good rye.

LJohnny
01-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Last summer I took a liter of Kirkland Bourbon on my Grand Canyon raft trip. A liter will fit in a 32oz Nalgene because of the volume above the last graduation. My understanding is that the bourbon is either Knob Hill or Jim Beam Black, I think mine was Knob Hill which I like. I drank it all on the 8 day trip, a couple of ounces with some ice at dinner and I'd leave about an inch in my coffee tumbler each evening to have with my coffee in the am.

And as far as Bulleit Rye being factory made for most of its existence, it was still a good rye.

I got a 1L of the Kirkland 7 yo bourbon about 2 weeks ago and to me it tastes more in the camp of Woodford Reserve. Not bad for the price. Likely their offering changes with the lot. I’ve experienced this with their 18yo single malt scotch, which tends to vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jemoryl
01-01-2019, 10:34 PM
There is a lot of this in the domestic wine business. Just about anything that originates from Modesto, CA is made by Gallo in a winery that looks like a refinery (e.g. Apothic wines). It is amazing that there are so many wines made by small artisanal producers, often from organic grapes, with minimal processing, that really aren't very costly. Most of these wines will be from outside the US, however.

The problem comes when one tries to make a recommendation: in the US we have crazy systems of distribution and if I recommend a small producer wine I can buy in NYC to someone in PA, it is unlikely that they will be able to find it. The best one can do sometimes is to look at the importer, e.g. Louis-Dressner or David Bowler bring in a lot of worthy stuff.