PDA

View Full Version : NAHBS 2019, March 15-17. Who's going?

Pages : [1] 2

enr1co
01-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Happy 2019!

https://www.nahbs.com/

CleanT's 2018 build thread just reminded me of this ;)

March is just around the corner - who all are goin'? :D

Will try to sneak away from the coal mine to go on Friday but if not, Saturday for sure.

MikeD
01-01-2019, 12:14 PM
I'm definitely going.

XXtwindad
01-01-2019, 12:38 PM
I'm definitely in!

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Thinking long and hard about it. I have a Jet Blue credit I need to use.

bart998
01-01-2019, 12:46 PM
I'll be there... driving up from L.A. Think I'll bring my bike a get a couple of rides in too.

Mike V
01-01-2019, 12:51 PM
I'll be there

Clean39T
01-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Me three.

hollowgram5
01-01-2019, 01:02 PM
It's on the list.. lady isn't totally sure about tagging along but it's within driving distance this year.

Would be good to see family in the east Bay area that weekend too.

David Tollefson
01-01-2019, 02:17 PM
My wife is actually the one encouraging us to go. She's never been to California and wants to combine a trip into San Francisco as well. Not sure if I'll have room for a bike...

jpritchet74
01-01-2019, 02:26 PM
I will definitely be there. Probably just for the 15th.

quickfeet
01-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Too far west, anyone know where it’s supposed to be in 2020?

prototoast
01-01-2019, 02:42 PM
I'll be there on Saturday lamenting how all the professional builders' frames are better than the ones I build.

henrypretz
01-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Going.
Scouting for my retirement gift to myself later this year :)

Steve in SLO
01-01-2019, 02:45 PM
My wife is actually the one encouraging us to go. She's never been to California and wants to combine a trip into San Francisco as well. Not sure if I'll have room for a bike...

Get to San Francisco. Simplify your trip and skip the bike.
and:
I'm in.

Clean39T
01-01-2019, 02:59 PM
For all those not bringing a significant other, or maybe even if so, any interest in renting a big AirBnB for the weekend to split?

I can do some hunting...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ERK55
01-01-2019, 03:34 PM

They will let you know approx 5 PM on the last day of the show.

MikeD
01-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Sacramento has a lot going on (visit the Crocker Art museum, for example) and has an international airport. There's no need to fly into San Francisco and make the horrible drive to Sacramento, unless you want to visit SF.

pdmtong
01-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Friday, which means for the third time I will miss the PL dinner.

joosttx
01-01-2019, 04:02 PM
only if its raining.... I rather be riding

XXtwindad
01-01-2019, 04:07 PM
For all those not bringing a significant other, or maybe even if so, any interest in renting a big AirBnB for the weekend to split?

I can do some hunting...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Staying with high school buddies. Otherwise, I'd take you up on your offer.

XXtwindad
01-01-2019, 04:12 PM
Friday, which means for the third time I will miss the PL dinner.

Is this actually a thing? We have some people with some very refined taste on this Forum :)

There's got to be a PL group ride on the American River Bike Path from Old Sac to Folsom...

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Is this actually a thing? We have some people with some very refined taste on this Forum :)

There's got to be a PL group ride on the American River Bike Path from Old Sac to Folsom...

Super great ride. Temple coffee is in Sacto too which all rides should consider starting/ending at. Or insight. I really like Biergarten too. I just like Sac in general.

FlashUNC
01-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Unlikely, barring joostx's point of bad weather or extenuating circumstances.

XXtwindad
01-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Super great ride. Temple coffee is in Sacto too which all rides should consider starting/ending at. Or insight. I really like Biergarten too. I just like Sac in general.

Me too! Midtown is fantastic. One of my buddies from the restaurant days makes the best bread and sandwiches in Sac: Juno's Kitchen. Sacramento summer evenings will always take me back to my youth.

Apologies for the thread drift: any Sacramento natives? El Camino HS Class of '85 here. Family home was in Carmichael for 33 years.

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Me too! Midtown is fantastic. One of my buddies from the restaurant days makes the best bread and sandwiches in Sac: Juno's Kitchen. Sacramento summer evenings will always take me back to my youth.

Yes man, yes! Sacto is a completely underrated food town. Before I went Vegan I had some of the best meals of my life there. In fact, I bet I would even now as a vegan. When I was young, I spent some Summer days up there as a young punk rock kid, skateboarding, getting tattooed, record shopping.

joosttx
01-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Unlikely, barring joostx's point of bad weather or extenuating circumstances.

we can carpool.

XXtwindad
01-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Yes man, yes! Sacto is a completely underrated food town. Before I went Vegan I had some of the best meals of my life there. In fact, I bet I would even now as a vegan. When I was young, I spent some Summer days up there as a young punk rock kid, skateboarding, getting tattooed, record shopping.

Tower Records. On Broadway. And The Beat! (On "H" I think...)

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 06:48 PM
Tower Records. On Broadway. And The Beat! (On "H" I think...)

That Tower was legend. There was a couple of other shops in mid-townish area where I bought records that for me were transformational.

Andy sti
01-01-2019, 11:24 PM
I'll be there! It'll be fun.

Clean39T
01-01-2019, 11:35 PM

Sun Soil Juice Co is outstanding for raw vegan noms. And there's a really good vegan Thai joint in midtown. Plus the Sac Food Co-Op is better than any grocery store we have in Portland...or anything I've seen in the PacNW really...

jtakeda
01-01-2019, 11:55 PM
I’ll almost definitely be there. Probably ride there from the east bay and Amtrak back

mhespenheide
01-02-2019, 12:15 AM
Super frustrated that I have a work event that weekend. Poop.

Not that I could afford a custom frame right now, but I'd like to ogle all the goods and meet some of y'all.

Mattbotak
01-02-2019, 12:35 AM
Heading up from San Diego.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2019, 06:28 AM

Not announced until the end of the 2019 show..I suspect it's going to be YUGE, considering interbike is no mas..some exhibitors who stuck with interbike till the end will be looking for a show to go to..

Lionel
01-02-2019, 06:54 AM
only if its raining.... I rather be riding

Same here

coachboyd
01-02-2019, 08:38 AM
I'll be there... driving up from L.A. Think I'll bring my bike a get a couple of rides in too.

Bring a gravel bike! I'll be leading the morning group rides again, and we won't be sticking to pavement.

jpritchet74
01-02-2019, 09:10 AM
If someone is going to organize a ride that's under 2.5 hours I am definitely in for any day.

coachboyd
01-02-2019, 09:26 AM
If someone is going to organize a ride that's under 2.5 hours I am definitely in for any day.

That is me. The rides are 2 hours from 7 to 9am. Show starts at 10

jpritchet74
01-02-2019, 09:36 AM
That is me. The rides are 2 hours from 7 to 9am. Show starts at 10

Sounds great!

prototoast
01-02-2019, 09:54 AM
I’ll almost definitely be there. Probably ride there from the east bay and Amtrak back

Do you know a good route to bike there from the East Bay? I'd love to do that, but all the routes I've tried mapping look awful.

XXtwindad
01-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Do you know a good route to bike there from the East Bay? I'd love to do that, but all the routes I've tried mapping look awful.

I did it from Richmond many years ago. Tons of bait shops and a few stray dogs with a taste for tire rubber. Wouldn't repeat it ...

8aaron8
01-02-2019, 10:16 AM
I will be there exhibiting since it's held in my town;) I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. Clean, the Co-Op is pretty wonderful, I go a few times a week.

XXtwindad
01-02-2019, 10:25 AM
I will be there exhibiting since it's held in my town;) I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. Clean, the Co-Op is pretty wonderful, I go a few times a week.

Very elegant. Love the lettering on the head tube.

Mzilliox
01-02-2019, 11:27 AM
im in like shwinn

BumbleBeeDave
01-02-2019, 12:05 PM
. . . and my SO and I have preliminary plans to head out there on the 15th for a week.

Here's pics from the last time it was in Sacto in 2016.

https://goo.gl/photos/s6rE2iitMYsu8Jfh7

BBD

Drmojo
01-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Ride to the show---show off my new Cherubim in The Rivet booth--thanks Deb Banks!!
Having Sacatomatoes as a neighbor, um city? for 17 years, I have never been a fan of its paltry charms;)

livingminimal
01-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Sun Soil Juice Co is outstanding for raw vegan noms. And there's a really good vegan Thai joint in midtown. Plus the Sac Food Co-Op is better than any grocery store we have in Portland...or anything I've seen in the PacNW really...

That's awesome!! I havent been to the Co-Op! Hopefully this will be the trip.

Burnette
01-02-2019, 03:12 PM
I went to NAHBS 2014 in Charlotte, NC. It was awesome, seeing and actually speaking to builders was a treat and there's so much to see.

I'll have to experience it from pictures again this year so whoever goes, share the eye candy.

pdmtong
01-18-2019, 11:20 AM
why are the combination two day passes more expensive than just buying the individual days alone? are you getting something else?

https://on.spingo.com/e/nahbs_2019/14757/136438

jtakeda
01-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Sorry for the late response. Just seeing this now.

They way I’ve done it is over the east bay hills through concord—over the Antioch bridge through the delta and voila.

Mzilliox
01-18-2019, 01:28 PM
why are the combination two day passes more expensive than just buying the individual days alone? are you getting something else?

https://on.spingo.com/e/nahbs_2019/14757/136438

haha, that is quite strange

ERK55
01-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Got the email from NAHBS this morning with the online ticket offer...but, I missed that detail. Agree it doesn't make sense (?)

vqdriver
02-01-2019, 07:07 PM
i'm IN! finally going to make it out to one of these
which day is the paceline dinner? is there a regular restaurant/reservation?

i'll be flying (i'm done with that drive up from LA) so no bike for me unless i rent. i'm open to fri-sat or sat-sun depending on when the forum dinner is. i'll just go to the show on saturday.

kophinos
02-01-2019, 08:31 PM
I'll probably go. I lived in the area for sometime and are very familiar with the bike routes, I could set something up. A group ride would be fun.

donevwil
02-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Going as well, my wife loves NAHBS. Friday (for meeting builders, etc) and/or Sunday (for swag and helping Abbey Tool polish off their whiskey) are the best. Saturday is a congested madhouse, but we'll be at all three.

Beware, it can get expensive.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

elcolombiano
02-01-2019, 09:40 PM
I want to go. I went to the one in Salt Lake a few years back and had a blast.

Would like to attend a Paceline Dinner and a bike ride if possible also. Plan to leave Los Angeles on Thursday morning around 9 AM.

FriarQuade
02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
6 years and counting. I've got some projects I need to finish before we head south though.

enr1co
02-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Saturday is a congested madhouse, but we'll be at all three.

Beware, it can get expensive.

Just back from NAMM show weekend in Anaheim (National Association of Music Merchants)- 13 yrs and counting...

A Saturday at NAHBS will feel like a library setting to me- and a lot less expensive- LOL! :D

Mzilliox
02-09-2019, 05:17 PM
just booked my air bnb and got the green light to bring home any bike i want from the show. :banana: like a kid in a candy store

donevwil
02-09-2019, 06:39 PM
... got the green light to bring home any bike i want from the show...

Not fair, not fair at all. Time out for you !!

whateveronfire
02-09-2019, 09:12 PM
just booked my air bnb and got the green light to bring home any bike i want from the show. :banana: like a kid in a candy store

I had to make the exact opposite promise before I booked. Can't wait though, I've never been.

Mzilliox
02-09-2019, 09:20 PM
I had to make the exact opposite promise before I booked. Can't wait though, I've never been.

ive never been either, very excited. and chances are i will not take home a bike, but who knows, maybe someone built a bike for me im not aware of... maybe they weren't even aware of it... one has to prepare for all possibilities.

Clean39T
02-09-2019, 09:22 PM

You have the green light to bring me home any bike you want too ..

59-60cm TT please.

:banana:

Buuuuut seriously. Still hoping I can arrange things to go - I have to be in ABQ for work earlier that week, so it's going to be a little tight.

Mzilliox
02-09-2019, 09:30 PM
You have the green light to bring me home any bike you want too ..

59-60cm TT please.

:banana:

Buuuuut seriously. Still hoping I can arrange things to go - I have to be in ABQ for work earlier that week, so it's going to be a little tight.

dude, im just trying to keep on the playing field here, haha. who knows what will be there

Hawker
02-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Just back from NAMM show weekend in Anaheim (National Association of Music Merchants)- 13 yrs and counting...

A Saturday at NAHBS will feel like a library setting to me- and a lot less expensive- LOL! :D

I passed on NAMM this year, how are your ears? ;)

tylercheung
02-10-2019, 01:13 PM
I think I might try early Saturday, but is it really that much better to do Friday vs. Saturday?

bigbill
02-10-2019, 02:11 PM
I want to go, it's a short flight from Vegas. My issue is some robotics factory acceptance testing the week prior in Anaheim. My employer sends me in a rental car but I'd have to drive back on Friday, return the rental car and then drive to Vegas to fly out. Going to be tough.

fogrider
02-11-2019, 01:47 AM
I think I might try early Saturday, but is it really that much better to do Friday vs. Saturday?

I was there in 2016, and Saturday was fairly crowded. At lunch, most places around were closed so the few that are open had long lines. Then on the drive back to SF, weekend traffic. I was also at San Jose on a Sunday, much better (it was much smaller then), but I'm planning on Friday.

donevwil
02-11-2019, 02:11 AM

If you have the choice of Fri vs Sat I would definitely choose Fri, but if Sat is the most viable option I wouldn't be concerned. Yes much more crowded on Sat although not a show stopper at all.

vqdriver
02-12-2019, 05:25 PM
i'd like to get this finalized on the calendar. i can be there one night, either fri or sat and want to time it so i can make the paceline dinner.
is that set for which night?

Hawker
02-18-2019, 12:16 PM
I have some FF miles. Does it make sense to fly out from Atlanta...or should I save my points for the Philly Expo this fall? I know no one can make that decision for me....I'm just not sure?

And NO offense to the organizers of either show as I hope to get to both of them eventually. And perhaps, NABHS 2020 will be closer to the East Coast?

pdmtong
02-18-2019, 12:47 PM
I have some FF miles. Does it make sense to fly out from Atlanta...or should I save my points for the Philly Expo this fall? I know no one can make that decision for me....I'm just not sure?

And NO offense to the organizers of either show as I hope to get to both of them eventually. And perhaps, NABHS 2020 will be closer to the East Coast?

If there are builders you want to see and they are at NAHBS, then go to NAHBS. The challenge is, year-year the builder list is not constant.

If you are just wanting to enjoy a show, then choose based on your schedule flexibility. Can Philly be a day trip from ATL? Sacramento would require an overnight.

I would only fly distance to either if it was low cost, I had the time and I was interested in specific builders. Otherwise I would just wait until it got closer to me.

Don't get me wring, NAHBS is really great but know your intent and expectations going in.

happycampyer
02-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Even with frequent flyer miles, I wouldn’t fly all the way across the country just to go to NAHBS. Do you have other reasons to visit Sacramento/CA? NAHBS may not be on the east coast again for a while (if ever?), but there’s a good chance it will be closer (the owner of the show lives in KY, so there’s a good chance it will be there again).

Hawker
02-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Thanks for your input Gentlemen. No, I have no other reason to fly to Sacramento other than NAHBS. Even with FF points, there is also hotel, food, Uber or rental car and anything I see at the show that I can't live without. :)

Yes, Philly is a lot closer and probably makes more sense....but of course I wouldn't see as many builders I suspect. But I am not searching for a builder or new bike (just bought a Serotta Fierte) just looking for a bike hang and have the wife's permission....sort of.

I'm mulling it over, thanks again.

choke
02-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Unlike pdmtong and happycampyer, I would absolutely fly to NAHBS...even without FF miles. I do think it's worth the cost. But as stated it would depend on which builders are showing, though that doesn't seem to be a big concern in your case.

joosttx
02-18-2019, 07:59 PM

I would go to Philly. The Philly Bike show is as rad or better than NAHBS depending on who you talk to. But all things being equal, Philadelphia is a much better city to visit than Sacramento.

pdmtong
02-18-2019, 08:01 PM
I think it also depends on your experience and accessibility to bike shows of any kind.

NAHBS is larger than Philly so there will be more vendors on top of the builders.

I hear about Philly and by all accounts it's a more intimate show than NAHBS. But, really what does it matter? it's not like you will be having a 30 minute conversation with every builder/vendor.

it all goes back to why you want to go and what if anything you expect or would like to leave with (impressions, conversations, stuff, new bike)

Having been to neither can be a very powerful draw. Forbidden fruit if you will. If you like bikes and go to NAHBS you will enjoy it. But I can also tell you your life will be just fine if you miss it.

pdmtong
02-18-2019, 08:04 PM
I would go to Philly. The Philly Bike show is as rad or better than NAHBS depending on who you talk to. But all things being equal, Philadelphia is a much better city to visit than Sacramento.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e747d161-11f2-4446-9766-61d52cdff311

Hawker
02-18-2019, 08:58 PM
I have no doubt that "a friend" of the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce will be contacting you both shortly.

joosttx
02-18-2019, 09:02 PM
I have no doubt that "a friend" of the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce will be contacting you both shortly.

all things being equal I much prefer "a friend" from Sacramento contacting me than "a friend" from Philly.:eek:

Andy sti
02-18-2019, 10:52 PM
I'm planning on going but I'd like to sleep in my van somewhere - insert joke here... Anyone know of any camping areas somewhat close? Doesn't look like there is a National Forest nearby. All I see are nasty RV parks that cost as much as a hotel room.

Also how about some 3-4 hour ride recs. May as well turn this into a little training camp.

Thanks

weaponsgrade
02-18-2019, 11:23 PM
I'm planning on going but I'd like to sleep in my van somewhere - insert joke here... Anyone know of any camping areas somewhat close? Doesn't look like there is a National Forest nearby. All I see are nasty RV parks that cost as much as a hotel room.

Also how about some 3-4 hour ride recs. May as well turn this into a little training camp.

Thanks

Can't you just roll into some residential area for the night? I'm not familiar with the riding around Sacramento. I'd imagine there's good riding around Davis. Maybe check out the Davis Cycling Club. I'm planning on driving over from SF on Friday.

XXtwindad
02-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Thanks

American River Bike Path is the obvious one. Car free. One of the longest in the country. (The longest?) From Downtown Sac to Lake Folsom. 60 miles round trip. Probably 1,000 feet climbing tops. Really scenic. The Alliance will love carving all the twists and turns ..,

metalheart
02-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Thanks

There is a State Park at Beals Point (https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1352)in Folsom and the American River Bike Trail goes through the Beals Point area, a good place to access the trail, some coffee and bike shops nearby and you could take Light Rail from Downtown Folsom to NAHBS in Sacramento.

Tony
02-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Thanks

If you want to sleep in your van, McKinley Park anywhere on McKinley street. While walking my dog I see folks sometimes in vans camping in front of the tennis courts.
601 Alhambra Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95816, couple miles from NAHBS

Two blocks away one of the best breakfast place, http://www.orphanbreakfast.com/

Tony
02-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Food places to go, my favorites.

Breakfast, Orphans
http://www.orphanbreakfast.com/

For burgers, The Shack. BEST, BEST burger in Sacramento period! Mix their own meats. http://eastsacshack.com/

Thai Food, The coconut on T street, $2 micro brews all day. Drunken Noodle is awesome!
http://www.thecoconutthai.com/

Mexican, Cantina Alley, Food is good, cheap! Sometimes its a little loud, but great atmosphere. https://www.cantinaalley.com/

Creek, Petra, good happy hour, food, $1 beers
https://petragreek.com/

Pizza, Pizza Rock just down a couple blocks from NAHBS http://www.pizzarocksacramento.com/

oldpotatoe
02-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Thanks

Park in some Walmart parking lots..

you can use the Allstays Camp & RV app to see which Walmarts allow overnight parking. Here is the following link for which Walmarts don’t allow camping at Walmart: https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm.

Clean39T
02-19-2019, 11:12 AM
If you want to sleep in your van, McKinley Park anywhere on McKinley street. While walking my dog I see folks sometimes in vans camping in front of the tennis courts.
601 Alhambra Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95816, couple miles from NAHBS

Two blocks away one of the best breakfast place, http://www.orphanbreakfast.com/

If I end up being able to go, I'll be getting an AirBnB somewhere and you'll be welcome to park your van there - use the fridge, etc.

crankles
02-19-2019, 05:42 PM
I'll be there Sunday. I've been to two in San Jose, one in Portland, and this will be the 3rd Sac show. I've enjoyed them all.

BumbleBeeDave
02-19-2019, 05:57 PM
. . . and staying with my daughter, who lives off Watt Ave. north of the river. Flying in Friday and doing the show Saturday, then staying with her all of the following week.

I got an email last week with the pitch pictured below. Looks like fun. But I'm open to any group ride all weekend or the following week as long a y'all agree to go easy on my winter spaghetti legs!

Is there an official Paceline dinner yet? I'd be willing to get something together Saturday evening. Lots of good suggestions in this thread for places.

My daughter has a ten year old C'dale Synapse she's going to let me use . . . unless anybody local has something I can borrow. (Hint, hint! :D ) Maybe Doc Mojo still has that Colnago?

BBD

Drmojo
02-19-2019, 11:57 PM
Bought then sold the Altain on Paceline
Several bikes ago BBD
Maybe meet some more of you lunatics!

malbecman
02-20-2019, 05:47 PM
I've done the reverse and yes, its tough crossing the Sac River/Delta as there's only two bridges/bike routes across the Carquinez Straits. I'd vote for the Benicia bridge and go thru Martinez. Here's the best way to get to Davis from Martinez as posted by the Davis Bike Club...from there, its only ~12 miles to Sac.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/307637

malbecman
02-20-2019, 05:50 PM
Sacramento is serious craft beer territory with over 50 breweries. Here's some info as well as other visitor info

https://www.beersinsac.com/sacramento-brewery-directory

https://www.visitsacramento.com/visit/beer/

BumbleBeeDave
03-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Just bought my ticket for Saturday. Got the email below for this ride and party after the show on Saturday evening. Anybody else interested?

Also open to any group rides on Sunday or the rest of the following week. any locals want to take me out and drop me like an anchor? :rolleyes:

BBD

+++++++++++

Join us on Saturday March 16th as we celebrate 15 years of NAHBS with a special anniversary party at the Capital Hop Shop - just around the corner from the convention center. Enjoy drinks, music, special NAHBS edition beer brewed by Bike Dog Brewing, a raffle, and good times with the NAHBS community. All proceeds will benefit Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates (SABA) and Cycles 4 Hope. Festivities kick off off at 6:30pm.

If you’d prefer to get on two wheels, you can partake in the Tour De Hops bike ride, which will meet outside the convention center at 6:15pm and starts off with a spin to College Cyclery. There will be beer and wine (with suggested donations that will go to SABA & Cycles 4 Hope) and a special vintage bicycle exhibit from the shop owner's collection. The group will ride to Capital Hop Shop at 8:30pm to join the main party.

Doors open at 6:30pm at Capital Hop Shop, finishing off the night at 10:30pm. Bike Valet will be provided by SABA in Mikes Bikes parking lot (1411 I Street). A raffle will be taking place at 9:00pm with tickets for purchase at the event.

Tickets cost $5 and can be purchased in advance online, at SABA's booth or at the bike valet at the show (Fri+Sat), or at the door at Capital Hop Shop. Drinks and raffle tickets can be purchased separately on-site.

Andy sti
03-01-2019, 04:23 PM
I will be at a hotel in Rancho Cordova.

For Saturday I plan to hop on the bike path and head to Folsom lake then ride around the lake. Should be 55ish miles but I will probably add more. Then head to the show.

Not sure what ride I'll do Sunday, need to figure that out but it will be ride first then head to show, then pick up my new bike and drive 7 hours home!

If anyone wants to ride let me know. I'm treating this as a mini training camp so I'll likely do some efforts on the hills but otherwise will be z2.

Hoping for some nice weather!!:banana:

Mzilliox
03-01-2019, 05:06 PM
I will be at a hotel in Rancho Cordova.

For Saturday I plan to hop on the bike path and head to Folsom lake then ride around the lake. Should be 55ish miles but I will probably add more. Then head to the show.

Not sure what ride I'll do Sunday, need to figure that out but it will be ride first then head to show, then pick up my new bike and drive 7 hours home!

If anyone wants to ride let me know. I'm treating this as a mini training camp so I'll likely do some efforts on the hills but otherwise will be z2.

Hoping for some nice weather!!:banana:

new bike at the show? oh how fun. i have no legs right now but may take ya up on some miles anyway. ill be in touch

Andy sti
03-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Sweet, Matt.

Yep, new bike at the show - Stoked!

I plan to get there for most of Friday at the show which will allow me some time riding the other 2 days.

Clean39T
03-02-2019, 12:15 AM
new bike at the show? oh how fun. i have no legs right now but may take ya up on some miles anyway. ill be in touch

Sweet, Matt.

Yep, new bike at the show - Stoked!

I plan to get there for most of Friday at the show which will allow me some time riding the other 2 days.

Still trying to pull my plans together, but I'd be trying to get some training in too... And I'd probably be staying up in Folsom. We'll see what I can find.

Andy sti
03-02-2019, 01:00 AM
Still trying to pull my plans together, but I'd be trying to get some training in too... And I'd probably be staying up in Folsom. We'll see what I can find.

Do it!

Pelican
03-02-2019, 09:59 AM
I'm planning to drive up on Friday, not sure if I am bringing a bike or not.

8aaron8
03-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Depending on how chaotic the show is, I may find some time for a ride early Saturday or Sunday morning.

Ttx1
03-02-2019, 11:10 AM
I've been keeping my Spooky in the San Fran office since last fall... and I'll be in the office on the 15th... it's tempting to delay my return to the Right Coast an extra day and join a ride Sat AM...

Last time I attended NAHBS in Sac, I stayed at the Citizen on Marriott points. Nice spot about a block from the convention center.

Hawker
03-06-2019, 01:20 PM
I've decided to save my FF (and marriage) points for the Philly Expo this year.

Hoping some of you guys will shoot and upload some good video if you are able.

Thanks!

jtakeda
03-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Riding Saturday—going to the show—then Amtrak back to oak

Clean39T
03-06-2019, 02:10 PM
Barring weather interventions, I'll be driving down from Portland on Friday, riding Saturday and Sunday AM, and hitting the show both days.

Staying in an Air BnB on the north end of mid-town...walking distance from the show...

Best coffee close to the show is on the way: https://www.themillsacramento.com/

Mzilliox
03-06-2019, 04:00 PM
Barring weather interventions, I'll be driving down from Portland on Friday, riding Saturday and Sunday AM, and hitting the show both days.

Staying in an Air BnB on the north end of mid-town...walking distance from the show...

Best coffee close to the show is on the way: https://www.themillsacramento.com/

sweet, see ya there
:hello:

pdmtong
03-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Now that NAHBS is almost upon us, perhaps I (and others) who have attended before can offer our helpful hints. This will be my 4th (SJ #3, Sacto, Sacto, Sacto)

* Buy your pass in advance. There is nothing more frustrating them standing in a line that is not moving as people are queuing to buy their passes in person.

* Wear comfortable clothes. Yes duh, but ... it's a convention hall trade show and who knows if the AC or heater is cranked.

* Bring a backpack or carry bag. There will be free stuff and schwag for sale.

* Bring cash and small bills. I'd say $100 should do it but $200 if you plan to go pint glass and tee shirt crazy. Most folks are NOT set up to take a CC swipe.

* Bring water and some clif bars (or similar). I paid $6 for convention hall hot dog once. ONCE.

* Forget the camera. Your phone is good enough when you run into Gary Fisher or Tom Ritchey. Plenty of others post their pics. See the show with your eyes instead of through a lens.

* Write down some of the booths you *must see*. There is nothing worse than going home and seeing in the brochure that xyz was there and you never saw them/him/her.

* Note if others are waiting to speak to who you are speaking to. Another duh, but I cannot tell you how many times it;'s clear the person speaking is just rambling and there;'s a handful of us waiting for our turn.

* King cages. If you like King cages, they will never be cheaper than at the show.

* Single malt with Don Walker. I bought my glass, we slammed our shots. It was great.

* Direct line to industry folks. Like at sea otter, every year it occurs to me to ask some questions and get answers straight from the horses mouth.

* Fight against your OCD and have a plan. The year ATMO was there I went to speak to him first as I knew the day would get crazy. Same with any builder you might commission. After that will you walk the floor CW or CCW? I know personally by the time I've done two laps my mind is blown. Once you find yourself wandering mindlessly, it's time to sit down or leave.

There's going to be plenty of surprises and insights learned. Pretty easy to spend the whole day.

These notes may work for you or you may think they suck. But if you have zero opinion, you now have a place to start.

XXtwindad
03-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Now that NAHBS is almost upon us, perhaps I (and others) who have attended before can offer our helpful hints. This will be my 4th (SJ #3, Sacto, Sacto, Sacto)

* Buy your pass in advance. There is nothing more frustrating them standing in a line that is not moving as people are queuing to buy their passes in person.

* Wear comfortable clothes. Yes duh, but ... it's a convention hall trade show and who knows if the AC or heater is cranked.

* Bring cash and small bills. I'd say $100 should do it but $200 if you plan to go pint glass and tee shirt crazy. Most folks are NOT set up to take a CC swipe.

* Bring water and some clif bars (or similar). I paid $6 for convention hall hot dog once. ONCE.

* Forget the camera. Your phone is good enough when you run into Gary Fisher or Tom Ritchey. Plenty of others post their pics. See the show with your eyes instead of through a lens.

* Write down some of the booths you *must see*. There is nothing worse than going home and seeing in the brochure that xyz was there and you never saw them/him/her.

* Note if others are waiting to speak to who you are speaking to. Another duh, but I cannot tell you how many times it;'s clear the person speaking is just rambling and there;'s a handful of us waiting for our turn.

* King cages. If you like King cages, they will never be cheaper than at the show.

* Single malt with Don Walker. I bought my glass, we slammed our shots. It was great.

* Direct line to industry folks. Like at sea otter, every year it occurs to me to ask some questions and get answers straight from the horses mouth.

* Fight against your OCD and have a plan. The year ATMO was there I went to speak to him first as I knew the day would get crazy. Same with any builder you might commission. After that will you walk the floor CW or CCW? I know personally by the time I've done two laps my mind is blown. Once you find yourself wandering mindlessly, it's time to sit down or leave.

There's going to be plenty of surprises and insights learned. Pretty easy to spend the whole day.

These notes may work for you or you may think they suck. But if you have zero opinion, you now have a place to start.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Very generous and helpful.

Andy sti
03-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I’m not shopping for a builder, I’m actually picking up my bike there. I have all days available to hang out, look around and chat with folks. Will that be too much time? Guess if I get bored I can go for a ride.

FlashUNC
03-06-2019, 06:56 PM

As a long-time con attendee I can attest to all of this. Another thing to remember is a concrete show floor can be killer walking around on all day. Take breaks, get off your feet and wear shoes with enough arch support that your dogs aren't killing you at the end of the day.

pdmtong
03-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
I’m not shopping for a builder, I’m actually picking up my bike there. I have all days available to hang out, look around and chat with folks. Will that be too much time? Guess if I get bored I can go for a ride.
I'm not industry but like Sea Otter, it can be an awkward intersection of everything to see and ask and nothing to see and ask.

You are in the best place...you can just be there and immerse in all things bike with no particular purpose.

I dont recall reading which builder you commissioned. Who?? What? That is awesome picking it up there.

pdmtong
03-06-2019, 07:02 PM
- wool jersey
- tee shirts
- socks
- pint glasses
- bottle openers
- stickers
- lubrication
- key chains
- spurcycle bells
- King cages
- musettes
- zip locs for phone
- NAHBS branded schwag

Recommendation is if you see something you like, buy it then. stuff sells out and that's it.

yes, I get home and think why did I get/buy that which is why a lot of the above have been sent to PL members over the years. Except for these below
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170203/3ebaaf7dd63f93c1f2252c23befbcf20.jpg

cnighbor1
03-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Your welcome here in Walnut Creek, CA Might have a bike to lend
Master suite is empty
Charles and Carolyn 925 708-1295

Clean39T
03-07-2019, 11:13 AM
* Forget the camera. See the show with your eyes instead of through a lens.

Sold advice for every day of one's life there...

Thanks for the list.

In case others haven't found it: https://www.nahbs.com/registered-exhibitors

Andy, I doubt you'll be bored. I like the idea of go early, spend a few hours, go for a ride, come back, spend a few more hours, go party.

nicrump
03-07-2019, 11:41 AM
If you are not from the area and have never been, the California Railroad Museum is a couple blocks from the show. It is well worth the $12 price of entry IMO.

The Southern Pacific Cab Forward No. 4294 alone is worth the price of entry.

8aaron8
03-07-2019, 11:00 PM
If you are not from the area and have never been, the California Railroad Museum is a couple blocks from the show. It is well worth the $12 price of entry IMO.

+1 on this, along with the Crocker Museum if you are into art. They are about 5 minutes from one another.

Andy sti
03-07-2019, 11:39 PM
I'm not industry but like Sea Otter, it can be an awkward intersection of everything to see and ask and nothing to see and ask.

You are in the best place...you can just be there and immerse in all things bike with no particular purpose.

I dont recall reading which builder you commissioned. Who?? What? That is awesome picking it up there.

Thanks again for the insight. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm picking up another Alliance from Erik. Have to wait until the end to get it though. Maybe I'll sneak a "do not touch" sign on it to keep all the finger prints at bay, haha.

BumbleBeeDave
03-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Who's gonna be there for sure on Saturday? Anybody on Saturday up for meeting for a beer/burger after the show?

BBD

joosttx
03-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Who's gonna be there for sure on Saturday? Anybody on Saturday up for meeting for a beer/burger after the show?

BBD

I’m riding we finally have some excellent weather.

pdmtong
03-12-2019, 06:12 PM
I’m riding we finally have some excellent weather.
No kidding. I spent an hour in a hailstorm on Sunday. Too bad the show wasn't last weekend.

Tony
03-12-2019, 06:57 PM
For those planning on riding the American river bike trail (ARBT. The area where the bike trail crosses Del Paso Blvd going west to Discovery Park/ Old Sacramento is flooded. I don't think the water will recede enough for this weekend.

Looks like its going to be a beautiful weekend in Sacramento!

metalheart
03-12-2019, 08:41 PM
For those planning on riding the American river bike trail (ARBT. The area where the bike trail crosses Del Paso Blvd going west to Discovery Park/ Old Sacramento is flooded. I don't think the water will recede enough for this weekend.

River levels are coming down, but who knows if the Discovery Park section of the trail will be accessible. Fortunately, for folks staying in the Mid/Downtown area there are several easy access points to the trail that easily avoid Discovery Park. Here is a link (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&ll=38.61767539705002%2C-121.37276089831244&spn=0.171615%2C0.32135&z=12&mid=1JOosqBSrfLGtWcXM5DQ-k3G_RgI) to a Google Map depiction of the trail route. The only other noteworthy thing about trail conditions is a washout on the trail between mile 16 and 17 and there are some "Detour" signs across the trail directing riders to low traffic adjacent streets. Most folks seem to ride through the Detour signs and ride a a small dirt detour around the washout.

Tony
03-12-2019, 10:10 PM
River levels are coming down, but who knows if the Discovery Park section of the trail will be accessible. Fortunately, for folks staying in the Mid/Downtown area there are several easy access points to the trail that easily avoid Discovery Park. Here is a link (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&ll=38.61767539705002%2C-121.37276089831244&spn=0.171615%2C0.32135&z=12&mid=1JOosqBSrfLGtWcXM5DQ-k3G_RgI) to a Google Map depiction of the trail route. The only other noteworthy thing about trail conditions is a washout on the trail between mile 16 and 17 and there are some "Detour" signs across the trail directing riders to low traffic adjacent streets. Most folks seem to ride through the Detour signs and ride a a small dirt detour around the washout.

The only access points for those in the mid/downtown area east of the flood is Blue Diamond C street entrance and CA State University. The C street entrance was flooded today. One can access the trail at Discovery Park however will dead end at the flooded area west of Del Paso Blvd.

For those not familiar with the area and interested in doing a short morning ride Friday here are a couple options.

This ride will include 5 beautiful parks, three bridges, and a coffee stop if the group so wishes.
We will start at McKinney Park behind the tennis courts on McKinley blvd and ride through the Fab Forties. We will pass a old rock quarry turned into a lovely park called East Portal. Will continue on to Sac State and cross the American river on the Little Golden Gate bridge called Guy West to the bike path on the north side and head for Watt Ave. We will then cross over the American river on the Watt Ave bridge and ride back on the south side heading towards Discovery Park/Downtown. We will cross a historical bridge where the American and Sacramento rivers meet heading to Old Sacramento. We will pass Jabom Park and the stunning intake structure. We will travel through historic Old Sacramento ride through the newly built and attractive water front as we make are way to the historic R street district. We will than head to Capitol Park ride through the State Capital to K st and head toward the rainbow district. Than F street back to McKinley Park. This ride has several coffee stops, Philz on R street, Temple on K and Star Bucks, Peets on J street. The ride is 25 miles.

If the area remains flooded (check Thursday) this is the second option.

After crossing Guy West continue on the north side bike trail and head to Old Fair Oaks. This is a scenic ride along the bike trail.
We will exit the trail, cross a foot bridge and do a short climb to Old Fair Oaks where rosters and chickens roam free. There are several places to eat, the Sunflower Drive End, excellent eats! http://www.sunflowerdrivein.com/ or a charming coffee house, Fair Oaks Coffee House and Deli, also good! https://www.yelp.com/biz/fair-oaks-coffee-house-and-deli-fair-oaks Than back to McKinley Park. This ride is 32 miles and can be 37 miles (depending on the group) if we include the Nimbus fish hatchery.

Would like to be at NAHBS at 12:00, thinking 9:00 on our bikes. Let me know if your interested.

teleguy57
03-12-2019, 10:31 PM
River levels are coming down, but who knows if the Discovery Park section of the trail will be accessible. Fortunately, for folks staying in the Mid/Downtown area there are several easy access points to the trail that easily avoid Discovery Park. Here is a link (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&ll=38.61767539705002%2C-121.37276089831244&spn=0.171615%2C0.32135&z=12&mid=1JOosqBSrfLGtWcXM5DQ-k3G_RgI) to a Google Map depiction of the trail route. .... Most folks seem to ride through the Detour signs and ride a a small dirt detour around the washout.

Oh, no-- dirt! Will everyone need to be on a gravel bike for the detour??😄

enr1co
03-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Went there for a work offsite last year- excellent museum experience! Do the guided tour - the docents are great!

metalheart
03-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Oh, no-- dirt! Will everyone need to be on a gravel bike for the detour??

For the twenty yards or so of dirt, it might be worth ordering a gravel bike from one of the NAHBS exhibitors! :)

Mzilliox
03-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Ive decided after yesterday i am gonna find someone to build me a fishing/bikepacking bike. probably with discs!

who does that kind of nonsense?

XXtwindad
03-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Ive decided after yesterday i am gonna find someone to build me a fishing/bikepacking bike. probably with discs!

Sycip BBQ ebike.

FlashUNC
03-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Sycip.

Clean39T
03-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Hey folks - I'm unfortunately not going to be able to make it (don't ask :( :( ), but that means the Air BnB I had reserved is going to be available: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10676804. I've stayed there before and the location is great for NAHBS - prices is reasonable, good host, W/D, etc. Thankfully they have a generous cancellation policy too. NFI in anyone staying there this weekend, just noting it for anyone making last-minute plans..

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you in person down the road - and I look forward to seeing your pics!

joshatsilca
03-13-2019, 08:15 PM
Everybody, I will be at NAHBS in the SILCA booth, please drop in and say hi!

We have partnered with Fifty-One, Shimano, and Pirelli on a special throwback bike inspired by Felice Sacchi's (founder of SILCA in 1917) prized Alpha Romeo.

The bike will be unveiled at NAHBS and you can donate with us at the show (and we'll give you a free GearWipe) with the winner announced on Giving Tuesday (December 3) this year.

Best of all, this bike is traveling the country all year, so the winner will get a custom geometry version of the bike made just for him/her!!

smead
03-13-2019, 09:09 PM

I rode through here today. About 100 yards west of Del Paso crossing, I encountered a lake. Looked pretty deep, didn't try .. So getting here from Old Sac doesn't look doable for a while. What those who want to trek up the ARBT from downtown can do is pick up the ARBT near the blue diamond plant at 18th and C streets. From there you can get to the main trail after crossing the AR, then 25 miles up the trail to Folsom ...

BumbleBeeDave
03-14-2019, 08:36 AM
One of my flights to Sacto tomorrow has been cancelled because it was a Max 8. Earliest flight I could rebook on without huge price increase is now Sunday!

:eek: :mad: :( :crap:

So now show for me. $%#^&%@*!!!!

So have a great time and maybe by Monday when I can ride the flooding will go down.

BBD

Mzilliox
03-14-2019, 09:12 AM
One of my flights to Sacto tomorrow has been cancelled because it was a Max 8. Earliest flight I could rebook on without huge price increase is now Sunday!

So have a great time and maybe by Monday when I can ride the flooding will go down.

BBD

Oh no!

BumbleBeeDave
03-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Oh no!

. . . I still get to see my daughter for a week and ride like the (slow) wind!

BBD

Hawker
03-14-2019, 09:37 AM

BBD

I wondered if this would effect anyone going to the show? Bummer, so sorry.

XXtwindad
03-14-2019, 09:42 AM
. . . I still get to see my daughter for a week and ride like the (slow) wind!

BBD

Way ahead of the game in my book...

wc1934
03-14-2019, 06:27 PM
FYI - you all probably received this but I figured I would forward it just in case- As the buffalo springfield said - for what it's worth

Insider Scoop

NAHBS is finally here and we want to make sure you get the inside scoop on some of the best show happenings! Aside from the amazing bikes and bling in the show hall, there will be daily morning rides, seminars, after-show parties, and lot’s of other activities to partake in. See you at NAHBS!

NAHBS Tickets + Location

Still need a ticket? Beat the crowds and get your ticket online. Get them quick because online ticket sales will close soon.

Tickets are also available for purchase at the the door each day OR via the Gather App, enabling you to skip the lines at the door. See below for more information on how to download the App.

NAHBS 2019 is being held at the Sacramento Convention Center, 1400 J St, Sacramento, CA 95814.

NAHBS App

For Sacramento show details right at the palm of your hand -- including brand/booth #s, seminars, ticket sales, and more - get the Gather App. It’s available for both Apple and Android users, just search for “Gather” in the App store:

There are 3 easy ways to download the app:

Scan this QR Code. Once in the Gather App, scroll down and look for "NAHBS Live 2019" event.

Visit these links to download the Gather app for Android HERE and iPhone HERE. Once in the Gather App, scroll down and look for "NAHBS Live 2019" event.

Search for "Gather" by GrowTix in the App Store. Once in the Gather App, scroll down and look for "NAHBS Live 2019" event. Once in the Gather App, scroll down and look for "NAHBS Live 2019" event.

2019 Show Info + Hours
Sacramento Convention Center

Friday March 15th: 12pm - 7pm

Saturday March 16th: 10am - 6pm

Sunday March 17th: 10am - 4pm

Before you walk into the show doors, enjoy these perks!
Argonaut Cycles: Test flight program

We’re all here because we love bikes, so why not take one for a spin? Argonaut Cycles will be offering test rides just outside of the convention center each day. To partake, please bring your shoes, pedals, helmet, kit, and a bidon (water bottle). Bikes will be outfitted with a bottle cage and there will be a tent for you to change in. First come, first serve basis.

Complimentary Coffee from ALLEGRO.
That’s right...free coffee each day courtesy of ALLEGRO. Their #FLXBUS will be at NAHBS each day, hours below, right outside of the convention center, serving delicious coffee and tea from their 1951 Flxible bus that has been retrofitted as a mobile coffee bar.

· Fri 3/15, 11am-4pm
· Sat 3/16, 9am-4pm
· Sun 3/17, 9am-4pm

NAHBS Happenings
We can’t include everything happening at the show, but below are some highlights that you’ll want to add to your itinerary.

Friday March 15th
Bike Valet

Bike valet is available every day of the show courtesy of Sacramento Bike Area Advocates (SABA). Ride to NAHBS and they’ll watch your bike (while you shop for a new one) in a safe, secure, and continuously monitored area. Just roll up the main entrance at the convention center & look for Bike Valet signage.
Friday Hours: 11:30 am - 7:30pm

Bike Rides:
Daily Group Rides courtesy of Boyd Cycling.

All rides will be a steady tempo of riding around 20-22 mph on the flatter terrain. More information on this event page.
Meet at 7:00 AM, depart at 7:10 AM, and return at 9:00 AM.
Meet at Starbucks in front of the convention center.

Show Floor:
Cycles 4 Hope - Wrench On Bikes For The Homeless
Booth 140B
12:00PM – 6:00PM
Spend some time with Cycles 4 Hope, honing your bike mechanic skills as you wrench on donated bikes that will be donated to local homeless. They’re also raffling off a Vintage Tommasini Super Prestiage bike Sunday March 17 (local pickup only).

Learn to Wrench with Cycles 4 Hope
Booth 140B
2PM – 3PM Led by experienced Cycles 4 Hope shop leaders, learn how to adjust brakes, shifting, headsets, basic rim truing, and more.

Seminars:
Several seminars will take place throughout the day in meeting room 301, designed to educate and inspire builders & attendees. “A Look Inside a Professional Track Cyclist's Lifestyle” and “Building Titanium Bikes with Steve Potts” should be crowd favorites for Friday. For the full seminar schedule, please visit the seminar page on the NAHBS website.

Saturday March 16th
Bike Valet
Saturday Hours: 11:30 am - 7:30pm
Bike valet is available every day of the show courtesy of Sacramento Bike Area Advocates (SABA). Ride to NAHBS and they’ll watch your bike (while you shop for a new one) in a safe, secure, and continuously monitored area. Just roll up the main entrance at the convention center & look for Bike Valet signage.

Bike Rides:
Daily Group Rides courtesy of Boyd Cycling.
All rides will be a steady tempo of riding around 20-22 mph on the flatter terrain. More information on this event page.

Show Floor:
Booth 140B
12:00PM – 6:00PM
Spend some time with Cycles 4 Hope, honing your bike mechanic skills as you wrench on donated bikes that will be donated to local homeless. They’re also raffling off a Vintage Tommasini Super Prestiage bike Sunday March 17 (local pickup only).

Booth 140B
2PM – 3PM Led by experienced Cycles 4 Hope shop leaders, learn how to adjust brakes, shifting, headsets, basic rim truing, and more.

Event Happening:
Yoga with SRAM
8:00 AM-9:00 AM
Meeting Room 302
Get your morning started with yoga for cyclists. Enjoy some classic yoga poses and finish with a namaste!

SRAM AXS Tech Clinic with Sara Jarrell
4:00 PM-5:00 PM
Meeting Room 301
Come join the SRAM Women’s Program for a tech clinic featuring the new AXS drivetrain products for road and mountain bikes. Everyone is invited to learn the features and benefits of SRAM’s suite of connected components.

Tour De Hops Townie Ride and Official Show Party
6:30PM-10:30PM
Scroll down to get all the details of this fun night out featuring vintage bikes, music, townie ride, raffle, and beer and food!

Seminars:
Several seminars will take place throughout the day in meeting room 301, designed to educate and inspire builders & attendees. The “Wright Cycle Company—one of the world’s most famous bicycle shops” and “NAHBS Women’s Series: Careers in the Cycling Industry” are among several being offered on Saturday. For the full seminar schedule, please visit the seminar page on the NAHBS website.

Sunday March 17th
Bike Valet
Sunday: Hours: 11:30 am - 7:30pm

Bike Rides:
Daily Group Rides Courtesy of Boyd Cycling
Friday, March 15, 2019

Event Happenings:
Yoga with SRAM
8:00 AM-9:00 AM
Meeting Room 302
Get your morning started with yoga for cyclists. Enjoy some classic yoga poses and finish with a namaste!

Booth 140B
10:00AM – 2:00PM

Booth 140B2PM – 3PM Led by experienced Cycles 4 Hope shop leaders, learn how to adjust brakes, shifting, headsets, basic rim truing, and more.

**Additional events as they are added will be posted on the NAHBS 2019 Facebook Event Page so please make sure to RSVP “Yes” and be in the know!**

Limited Edition NAHBS Apparel

Limited edition NAHBS apparel is available at the show at the NAHBS Merchandise booth. New for this year: NAHBS wool jerseys ($85.00) and NAHBS buffs ($15.00) offered from TEXmarket USA, also available at their Booth #334. Get geared up quick, as supplies are limited!

You're Invited to the NAHBS 15th Anniversary Party on Saturday!

Everyone is invited to join us on Saturday March 16th as we celebrate 15 years of NAHBS with a special anniversary party at the Capital Hop Shop - just around the corner from the convention center. Enjoy drinks, music, special NAHBS edition beer brewed by Bike Dog Brewing, a raffle, and good times with the NAHBS community. All proceeds will benefit Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates (SABA) and Cycles 4 Hope. Festivities kick off off at 6:30pm.

If you’d prefer to get on two wheels, you can partake in the Tour De Hops bike ride, which will meet outside the convention center at 6:15pm and starts off with a spin to College Cyclery. There will be beer and wine (with suggested donations that will go to SABA & Cycles 4 Hope) and a special vintage bicycle exhibit from the shop owner's collection. The group will ride to Capital Hop Shop at 8:30pm to join the main party.

Doors open at 6:30pm at Capital Hop Shop, finishing off the night at 10:30pm. Bike Valet will be provided by SABA in Mikes Bikes parking lot (1411 I Street). A raffle will be taking place at 9:00pm with tickets for purchase at the event.

Tickets cost $5 and can be purchased in advance online, at SABA's booth or at the bike valet at the show (Fri+Sat), or at the door at Capital Hop Shop. Drinks and raffle tickets can be purchased separately on-site.
Charity Partner

The mission of Cycles4Hope is to provide Hope, Independence & Opportunity to those in need through the donation of recycled bicycles, and through our partnership with them we look forward to bringing awareness and raising funds for this incredible organization.

Visit Cycles 4 Hope at Booth 140B for their daily “Learn to Wrench” classes OR donate some of your time to wrench on donated bikes at the show.

Sponsors
NAHBS would not be what it is without the amazing support of our sponsors. Make sure to visit them at the show and give them a high five! This year’s show is sponsored by Blacksmith Cycle, Boyd Cycling, Campagnolo, Columbus Tubing, Enigma Bicycle Works, Full Speed Ahead, HED, Selle Anatomica, Mavic, Shimano, Silca, and Titanium Joe.

Get Social
Make sure to RSVP to the NAHBS 2019 event on Facebook to connect with everyone who will be coming to the show. And please make sure to follow NAHBS on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for the latest news, show updates, and special offers.

We can’t wait to ring in our 15 year show anniversary with you. See you at NAHBS!

Sincerely,

Don Walker, Founder and President

Heisenberg
03-14-2019, 08:36 PM
i do love that amazon is subsidizing the caffeination of nahbs with allegro.

no moral position on it, just amusement.

ps, i’ll be there. find the mellow mohawk.

Joe
03-15-2019, 10:03 AM
I woke up sick this morning and won’t be going, hoping to go Sunday instead. If possible, I’d like to sell for 1/2 of face value, please...$23 for 2 tix.

PM if interested.

Hoping it’s ok to post here vs classified...moderators please delete this if it’s inappropriate.

Tony
03-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Where are you located?

Joe
03-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Tony-PM sent

pdmtong
03-15-2019, 05:29 PM
ETap Marcelo and fortune cookie fortune

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/52687d163c76dadea55bb1150d6d89e1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/85f2dd67b2db010476e6d3d114839108.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/e06c8bb6d6ad9844f1532a355cfba478.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/909d82ef71b93d49962aa564d004cb6f.jpg

gasman
03-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Looks like I'll be there Sunday afternoon. Going to stay in town and ride on Monday. Then head west to spend the week riding out of Half Moon Bay.:banana:
Then visit some old friends down there.

jtakeda
03-15-2019, 06:26 PM
I just had a veterinary emergency and can’t make it to the show tomorrow.

I have 1 ticket to the show if anyone wants a ticket for Saturday. If you want to throw me a couple bucks that would be cool but if not I’d rather it not get wasted. PM me

donevwil
03-15-2019, 06:35 PM
Good lord I want a Crumpton "gravel" bike. I bit my tongue as my wife and I were talking with Nick and his wife (very small crowd today). As we were walking away my wife said, "What a beautiful bike, could you ever see yourself wanting one?". Um, uh, well, maybe, yeah! Also want a Steve Potts Ti Fork for some reason.

Met Aaron of AR cycles, awesome, very skilled dude. Ran into wanderers Steve Hampsten (wife has a GP Ti) and fellow Petaluma homie Bruce Gordon.

Good first day! Sorry no pics because I'm a cellphone newbie, but I'll work on that.

choke
03-15-2019, 09:29 PM
What a fun day. I'll post up pics in a bit.

I spent more time talking to people than looking at bikes. I had some nice chats with Roland Della Santa, Steve Hampsten, Mark DiNucci, Craig Gaulzetti, Nick Crumpton, Steve Potts, Chris Chance, Paul Sadoff, Aaron from AR Cycles, Dan from Campy and Larry Theobald from Cycle Italia (I rode with him at Eroica CA a couple of years ago).

Mzilliox
03-15-2019, 11:31 PM
there were a lot of bikes. There were a lot of the same thing over and over. i guess Ti bikes with clearance for 40mm 700c is in this year. Thats what folks want and they can build it. Road geo, clearance for 40s, discs.

The supreme anodized no 22 with the matching Ti fenders is the nicest bike in the show. i have pics, but im sure we will all get to see better ones. If it doesnt win best Campagnolo bike, those guys had too much olive oil.

AR cycles as others have mentions put together a very nice booth.

there are lots of gimmicky bikes too, but i dont get those at all. and a lot of tandems, do people actually ride those?

It was interesting. I can honestly say the only bike i wanted to buy badly wasnt for sale (see above). i guess ill try harder tomorrow.

Peter B
03-16-2019, 12:15 AM
<snips>

There were a lot of the same thing over and over.

The supreme anodized no 22 with the matching Ti fenders is the nicest bike in the show. i have pics, but im sure we will all get to see better ones. If it doesnt win best Campagnolo bike, those guys had too much olive oil.

Agreed on point 1. Still a fun time.

Mzilliox
03-16-2019, 12:33 AM
thats the one! so sexy. :hello:

and yes, very much a fun time. so many cool toys in one place. I had my faves for sure, and some surprises.

donevwil
03-16-2019, 12:40 AM
My day 1 standout was the English anniversary bike, #1 of 10.

OtayBW
03-16-2019, 06:24 AM
Agreed on point 1. Still a fun time.
WOW! Just when I recently saw what I thought were the cleanest Ti welds ever....there's this ^ (or, that, or up yonder somewhere...Post #149)!!! Simply amazing!

gomango
03-16-2019, 07:17 AM

Salsa.

I bought a Blackborow to use at our cabin on the edge of the BWCA.

Found a fantastic deal on our local FB bike market place.

A pack mule with wheels.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/blackborow/2019_blackborow_gx_eagle

Bentley
03-16-2019, 07:38 AM
Anyone there take some pics of Curtis’ booth and post?

Super interested in what he has

Thanks

Ray

lemondvictoire
03-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Be at the US Cycling Hall of Fame Museum in Davis at 10am and be at the show closer to noon time ...:)

Mzilliox
03-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Salsa.

I bought a Blackborow to use at our cabin on the edge of the BWCA.

Found a fantastic deal on our local FB bike market place.

A pack mule with wheels.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/blackborow/2019_blackborow_gx_eagle

while it looks awesome, thats way more bike than i need for my uses. i talked to a lot of builders and saw a lot of blank faces. Bingham Built (Brad) is a guy with solutions. when chatting to him about a fishing bike he had actually ridden bikes in similar applications, and build bikes for carrying gear long ways. this guy knows why hes building the bikes the way he is.

pdmtong
03-16-2019, 09:35 AM
while it looks awesome, thats way more bike than i need for my uses. i talked to a lot of builders and saw a lot of blank faces. Bingham Built (Brad) is a guy with solutions. when chatting to him about a fishing bike he had actually ridden bikes in similar applications, and build bikes for carrying gear long ways. this guy knows why hes building the bikes the way he is.

He built his own sub compact 110 bcd spider so can get shimano gearing to be 32-40.

Definitely a guy willing to try to build something

pdmtong
03-16-2019, 09:37 AM
BTW that Peg is a one off to honor Dario.

The circles represent a wine glass stain on a napkin. And the various varietals he loved

Hawker
03-16-2019, 10:38 AM
What a fun day. I'll post up pics in a bit.

I spent more time talking to people than looking at bikes. I had some nice chats with Roland Della Santa, Steve Hampsten, Mark DiNucci, Craig Gaulzetti, Nick Crumpton, Steve Potts, Chris Chance, Paul Sadoff, Aaron from AR Cycles, Dan from Campy and Larry Theobald from Cycle Italia (I rode with him at Eroica CA a couple of years ago).

Wow...that's quite a group! How's the free coffee? If you run into Patrick Brady, let him know I love his podcast, The Pull. Thanks and have a great time.

metalheart
03-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Lots of interesting bikes, but I was looking for wheels and a few other things. Black Magic painting was very helpful and interesting, AR Cycles was helpful nd fun to talk with, it was hard to get some time with the Rocket Shoe guys, and the cost is a bit much for me. I also like the Bryton Bike Computer, great price for the functionality.

Charles at JetBikeWheels has some nice offerings and seems knowledgable about the range of materials available wheel builds. I am probably going to order some Eason wheels from him.

Friday was a good day...

dddd
03-16-2019, 12:14 PM
Wow...that's quite a group! How's the free coffee? If you run into Patrick Brady, let him know I love his podcast, The Pull. Thanks and have a great time.

The free coffee is out of the trailer at the rear of the hall, 700 isle iir.
Very good hot coffee, tastes like a good Yirgacheffe to me, and yep, it's free!

Hopefully not too crowded, as I spent large amounts of time talking to a few of the vendors about things and about the products.

Seems like a greater number of women in the booths this time, great communicators among them.

--Stop by and test-ride the ROTOR pedaling output analysis trainer, and talk with their real racers about pedaling dynamics!

--Check out the Selle Anatomica booth and get your saddle area studied (better than you expected).

--At the Mavic booth and see how far that the wheelbuilder has dug into the pile of rims that he is building on the floor.

--Stop by Cycles4Hope along the left-side wall and buy a raffle ticket for a nice, 57-58cm, late-1980's Tommasini having a Chorus A-B Monoplanar gruppo, MA40 rims on Record hubs and Simplex Retrofriction levers!!! All proceeds go to their charity efforts.
(Offer to get your hands dirty on Sunday as a volunteer in their booth, for possible free admission).

vincenz
03-16-2019, 12:23 PM
That No22 is amazing. I would be surprised if they didn’t win the campy award. They won it the other year.

The Peg is also great. Would do Dario proud. What a show. One of these years I will have to make it.

weaponsgrade
03-16-2019, 12:46 PM
These shows always give me a bit of sensory overload towards the end. Next time I have a day to blow I might take a ride instead. I almost feel obligated to go since it’s so close, but I had a good time. Some highlights for me included Rock Lobster showing the first bike he built in 78(?) next to his most recent; De salvos vw truck and back story even if the vw truck was just on a T-shirt; Built’s tight ti welds, the vintage mavic support wagon; Steve Potts ti fork; English anniversary road bike; and della Santa touring bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choke
03-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Della Santa with Gilco like tubing. Roland said that it was a PITA to build with and he doesn't have any more sets of it.

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/ds1.jpg

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/ds2.jpg

These two are from Mark DiNucci

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/din1.jpg

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/din2.jpg

My first thought was Mapei

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/gaulz.jpg

Old school

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/kas.jpg

The paint on this would have made a bass boat proud

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/zullo.jpg

This pic doesn't do the color justice. It reminds me of a cromovelato Wilier. Paul said it was powder coat with a clear on top.

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/rl.jpg

choke
03-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Great paint on this Enigma. It changed color depending on the light....hard to capture with the camera. And it's Ti with beautifully polished stays that looked like chrome.

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig2-1.jpg

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig2-2.jpg

Another Enigma

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig1-1.jpg

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig1-2.jpg

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig1-3.jpg

Steve Potts Ti fork

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/potts.jpg

Another Ti fork on a Merlin

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/merlin.jpg

Interesting suspension fork...

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/alan1.jpg

On an Alan

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/alan2.jpg

XXtwindad
03-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Great paint on this Enigma. It changed color depending on the light....hard to capture with the camera. And it's Ti with beautifully polished stays that looked like chrome.

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig2-1.jpg

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig2-2.jpg

Another Enigma

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig1-1.jpg

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig1-2.jpg

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/enig1-3.jpg

Steve Potts Ti fork

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/potts.jpg

Another Ti fork on a Merlin

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/merlin.jpg

Interesting suspension fork...

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/alan1.jpg

On an Alan

http://nahbs19.ciocctoo.com/alan2.jpg

That fork is immaculate! There's gotta be a category for this to take home a prize. On top of that, Steve is simply of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

A last thought: I'm a big fan of raw Ti. Some of those painted Ti bikes are way too garish for me.

AngryScientist
03-16-2019, 03:03 PM
WELL?

After all that hoopla, anything interesting at the campy booth, other than EPS-12?

Anything new and shiny?

Peter B
03-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Steve told me he'd finished this the night before...

jpritchet74
03-16-2019, 03:39 PM
WELL?

After all that hoopla, anything interesting at the campy booth, other than EPS-12?

Anything new and shiny?

I was at the show yesterday for 2 hours - lots of nice stuff, but 2 things I was left "wanting" were a set of Bora wheels and some new Rocket 7 MTB shoes.

My goodness the Boras are so beautiful in person. Now I have to get a set....

Hellgate
03-16-2019, 03:55 PM
And my favorite so far is, err? All of them? Amazing.

The Sean Kelly fan in me REALLY likes the KAS.

charliedid
03-16-2019, 04:47 PM
That No22 is killer. I probably wouldn't own the ano job but just what I expect to see in 2019. Fantastic. ALso hard not to love the Gaulzetti track bike. That is a show bike!

pdmtong
03-16-2019, 05:39 PM
WELL? After all that hoopla, anything interesting at the campy booth, other than EPS-12? Anything new and shiny?
they showed the EPS 12 and the WTO race wheels (so nice). the crank isnt for everyone, but its not as bas in person as in the pics.

pdmtong
03-16-2019, 05:40 PM
and what about that shamrock osso bucco seat tube and triple tube down tube shade shift paint........

pdmtong
03-16-2019, 05:45 PM
and a lot of tandems, do people actually ride those?.
try some new things. I have a full-suspension ventana mountain tandem thats a blast.
the allegro in front was ok, but Verve (inside back trailer from Santa Cruz) just kills it. I enjoyed my two Nitro brews....one AM, one PM.

vincenz
03-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Best in show [emoji106]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190317/cd57c405914b7d6440add531d8c2e21d.jpg

Hawker
03-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, thanks much for the photos! Run into any other Paceliners there?

PacNW2Ford
03-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Hey, did I see oversized Paul seat posts in a photo? Can someone ask if they're making 31.6's? Thanks!

happycampyer
03-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Best in show [emoji106]

Even though I’m not a fan of the awards, it’s great to see those guys get recognition. The guy on the right, Scott Hock (who used to post here under the screen name SHOCK) is incredibly talented.

<snip>

there were a lot of bikes. There were a lot of the same thing over and over. i guess Ti bikes with clearance for 40mm 700c is in this year. Thats what folks want and they can build it. Road geo, clearance for 40s, discs. That sounds a lot like Hartford. The great thing at NAHBS is that it is a real baramoter of where the handbuilt market is.

Brad is one of the most inventive guys in the business these days. If I’m not mistaken, he’s the one that designed the Cinchpost clamping mechanism when he was at Moots, and worked on a lot of the special project bikes. His thru-axle dropout is a work of art, and of course his welds are second to none.

dancinkozmo
03-17-2019, 06:20 AM
pic gallery on radavist...

https://theradavist.com/2019/03/nahbs-2019-mega-gallery-part-01/#1

oldpotatoe
03-17-2019, 07:14 AM
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/orth-american-handmade-bicycle-show-2019.html

Alan
03-17-2019, 07:21 AM
Link is below. Watch the bloopers at the end as they are funny. Emma does a good job.

https://youtu.be/HWwxQ0QUJtA

Burnette
03-17-2019, 07:52 AM
Well done video, looks like an awesome show.

Mzilliox
03-17-2019, 08:13 AM
WELL?

Anything new and shiny?

Nope, totally disappointing. totally boring, lots of Italian being spoken.

Stan Lee
03-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the photos! Anybody know who won what?

Mzilliox
03-17-2019, 08:16 AM
Best in show [emoji106]

haha, i walked up to him Saturday around noon and told him this was the nicest bike in the show easy. and name his price. he still said it wasn't for sale, but thanks for the kind words.

these guys are really nice and helpful too. i can see myself getting one. the 2 at the show i wanted were both spoken for.

AngryScientist
03-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Nope, totally disappointing. totally boring, lots of Italian being spoken.

Thanks Matt, and thanks for checking in on the WI rim brake models for me too.

honestly, looking through the photos, i have yet to see anything that really catches my attention.

i have a few ideas for bikes i would like to own, but they are just not in style anymore i guess. oh well, i've got all the bikes i could ever need anyway.

Hilltopperny
03-17-2019, 08:43 AM
haha, i walked up to him Saturday around noon and told him this was the nicest bike in the show easy. and name his price. he still said it wasn't for sale, but thanks for the kind words.

these guys are really nice and helpful too. i can see myself getting one. the 2 at the show i wanted were both spoken for.A well deserved award. These guys kept everything hush hush this year before breaking out these awesome bikes! I was at the local shop right before the show and he said they were unveiling some interesting stuff, but Scott was keeping it a secret.

I think I need some of those fenders for my drifter and I'm going to have to stop by the workshop to see these in person! My Drifter and Great Divide are two of the finest bikes I've ever ridden. Anybody looking for an amazing titanium bicycle should give them a hard look!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mzilliox
03-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Thanks Matt, and thanks for checking in on the WI rim brake models for me too.

honestly, looking through the photos, i have yet to see anything that really catches my attention.

i have a few ideas for bikes i would like to own, but they are just not in style anymore i guess. oh well, i've got all the bikes i could ever need anyway.

I think i am different than most in feeling the same way you feel, but i was even there in person. there were some neat things. the shamrock bike with the triple stays was neat, but id never ever want it.

The mosaic stuff was ridiculous, they painted a bunch of bass boats

Gualzetti was one of my favorites. The Crumpton fat tire was a cool bike, very clean looking, but im not sure it solves any problems for me.

I asked a lot of questions, like why 40mm+ 700c? why front loads instead of rear? Im not sure all of the builders know why except that is what folks seem to want...

Like i said, i spoke with Brad Bingham and the guys at no22 the longest. Not only are those bikes super nice, the owners are approachable, and they actually have solutions for problems. when you talk to them about specifics, they have ideas. I like this in a custom builder. i dont think it should be my job to know all of whats available and possible, i like the artists who can tell me whats possible, and why.

Aarons booth (AR cycles) was really good. if he was in the new builder section, i bet he had a chance to win it.
Caletti was very nice, with great bikes
Hartley was so very good. Her bikes have exquisite attention to details
Simple cycles had some rad gravel bikes that looked tastier than most of the others.

jtakeda
03-17-2019, 09:04 AM
I wish I could’ve made it to the show.

Sounds like this year was my year because I’m interested in a ti 700c bike that can take 40+ :p

My thoughts are:
I already have a road bike
I already have a mountain bike

I want something can bridge gap and be able to do the off-road brevets without being a slug on the road.

Gotta figure out what’s wrong with the pet before I go thinking about bikes though

Mzilliox
03-17-2019, 09:12 AM
I wish I could’ve made it to the show.

Sounds like this year was my year because I’m interested in a ti 700c bike that can take 40+ :p

My thoughts are:
I already have a road bike
I already have a mountain bike

I want something can bridge gap and be able to do the off-road brevets without being a slug on the road.

Gotta figure out what’s wrong with the pet before I go thinking about bikes though

good news is everyone makes these now. bad news is everyone makes these now, so its hard to choose one!
i want one as well, for a very specific use. I didnt want to compromise, so ill probably go custom with someone who understands the needs

jtakeda
03-17-2019, 09:19 AM
good news is everyone makes these now. bad news is everyone makes these now, so its hard to choose one!
i want one as well, for a very specific use. I didnt want to compromise, so ill probably go custom with someone who understands the needs

Same. I already have my builder picked out and have my build sheet filled out. I just wanted that extra push by going to the show and talking with them and seeing how they do a couple of the small details I was flipping flopping on (internal brake routing) things like that. But the cat is more important than bikes at the moment.

Andy sti
03-17-2019, 09:29 AM
The value of a custom builder is how they can build a bike for YOU. This really was a paint show. Obviously, No. 22 has beautiful welds and they build a great bike but so many others were just getting attention due to the finish. Crazy paint brings in the crowds. You can send any bike to that painter and they’ll do the same.

Unfortunately, my bike got delayed by Colorado weather and didn’t make it. Erik let me know a couple days before the show so maybe I was just in a bummed mood but the show didn’t do much for me. Felt bad for Erik also because he was down a bike for his booth and had to scramble.

FlashUNC
03-17-2019, 10:16 AM
Taste is subjective and all that, but I'm not feeling that No 22 at all.

Mzilliox
03-17-2019, 10:22 AM

is it simply the aesthetic?

or the no-nonsense perfect build? ;)

In person this bike was simply tight and together, not just gorgeous.

vincenz
03-17-2019, 10:26 AM

these guys are really nice and helpful too. i can see myself getting one. the 2 at the show i wanted were both spoken for.

They are great! Really communicative and easy to work with. I can imagine about the demand.. I ordered one last year with a quoted 8-10 weeks lead time, but it ended up being 18 weeks. I can't imagine what their lead time is like now. If NAHBS ends up on the east coast again, I will have to go one year to shake their hands.

XXtwindad
03-17-2019, 10:28 AM

That No. 22 doesn't do much for me. Granted, I haven't seen it in person (I'll be there today) but not my favorite color scheme. Looks like purple with yellow/gold from the photos. Maybe if I was a Lakers fan 🙂

The coolest thing I've seen from the photos is the Potts ti fork. I think it would be a great fit for my Ti 29er.

I was super excited to attend the NAHBS show here in '16. Not sure if the level of excitement is the same. At some point, the functionality/innovation aspect becomes superseded by aesthetics, and you're looking at a bunch of really cool paint jobs. Not sure if this show represents that trade-off or not ...

Johnny P
03-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Link is below. Watch the bloopers at the end as they are funny. Emma does a good job.

That's Kathleen, not Emma.

NHAero
03-17-2019, 10:43 AM
I had never heard of Caren Hartley so thanks for that mention. Her web site has some exquisite work. Check out the fork crown on the "porkeur"!

scoobydrew
03-17-2019, 11:30 AM

As someone who has spent the past few months deciding which builder I want to choose to build a Ti bike with 700x40mm+ clearance, I completely agree with this statement. The builders whom I've reached out to were more than willing to incorporate the little things I wanted, but for me, it really came down to a balance of lead time, quality, and experience.

Hawker
03-17-2019, 12:18 PM

I think that's Katherine, not Emma. You're right, she does a very good job and they should put her in front of the camera more.

pdmtong
03-17-2019, 01:07 PM
there were a lot of bikes. There were a lot of the same thing over and over. i guess Ti bikes with clearance for 40mm 700c is in this year. Thats what folks want and they can build it. Road geo, clearance for 40s, discs.

AR cycles as others have mentions put together a very nice booth.

there are lots of gimmicky bikes too, but i dont get those at all. and a lot of tandems, do people actually ride those?

It was interesting. I can honestly say the only bike i wanted to buy badly wasnt for sale (see above). i guess ill try harder tomorrow.
in thinking about this more, yes, you hit the nail on the head. Rim brake bikes still exist but the show is overwhelming with big tire ti disc frames. and paint. paint everywhere. if you think 2019 show as excessive, I would say there were probably 50% more builders showing the same in 2015.

the quality is so high, the choosing comes from small things you prefer or the way you feel about a particular brand/builder.

Bingham is one with an open mind and a willingness to try something new. OTOH he not into inish aesthetics...you get the bead blast and the decal - not the mosiac bass boat.

The reason it all looks the same is because there are no crap builders there. it's all the best of the best. every bike is a super model. or exotic car.

I didn't spend as much time as I had in the past ogling at the minutia of each builder. Last show I figured *if* I ever did another handmade road it would be Rob English. And by now I still haven't proven i am a candidate for gravel disc. I need/want a newer 6" FS mtb before I do that. so instead, i just walked around enjoying see all things bike.

FYI Carl Stong did not show any metal - instead he focused on his carbon offering.

cribbit
03-17-2019, 01:47 PM
I'm loving the love no22 is getting, I've lusted for a little wing for ages.

Morgul Bismark
03-17-2019, 05:02 PM
NAHBS The Awards Part I on Red Kite Prayer (http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/03/nahbs-the-awards-part-i/)
NAHBS Awards Day Two on Red Kite Prayer (http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/03/nahbs-awards-day-two/)

Mikej
03-17-2019, 05:03 PM

ISP’s don’t do it for me. Yellow and purple either. I like the plain ti bikes they make, I mean, ti was invented so we could ride grey bikes!

Mikej
03-17-2019, 05:10 PM
NAHBS The Awards Part I on Red Kite Prayer (http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/03/nahbs-the-awards-part-i/)
NAHBS Awards Day Two on Red Kite Prayer (http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/03/nahbs-awards-day-two/)

Dang - Seven coming on strong, even tho, um that chain stay...
Brad just bringing it as usual- yeah built both my current frames, maybe time for An Emeritus position so someone else has a chance - all builders bikes are looking nice across the board. Wish they would come to the Midwest again, like that one time.

Burnette
03-17-2019, 05:19 PM

I had forgotten about RKP, thanks for linking it here.

gasman
03-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Dallas 2020

ERK55
03-17-2019, 06:01 PM
Well, that eliminates me.

Hawker
03-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Works for me, Dallas being a big hub makes it fairly inexpensive to fly to for many. Most likely for Weisan too? ;)

NYCfixie
03-17-2019, 07:07 PM

I think that's Katherine, not Emma. You're right, she does a very good job and they should put her in front of the camera more.

You are correct, that was Katherine (https://katherinebikes.com/) (and not Emma (http://www.emmapooley.net/en/)) in the GCN video.

weaponsgrade
03-17-2019, 07:10 PM
My nahbs haul and post-nahbs sensory rejuvenation ride.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190318/48138e2ab3e6b16252b1f289b9903480.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190318/1fffcc1c3ceda5629f7c24f163b8ca2e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190318/1c3a9b741b1dabc21bba440c6b8c9af2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drmojo
03-17-2019, 10:29 PM
Shoulda won something today of all days
Happy St Patricks!!

gasman
03-17-2019, 10:40 PM
I agree !! They has some nice bikes too. I guess they maybe weren’t flashy enough.

Mzilliox
03-18-2019, 08:06 AM
best road bike finalists were lame. Did they not see the Cherubim or the 1300g steel frame from De anima, or Aarons bilam steel race bike, or english's race bike with undermount rear brake? i would not have put one of these finalists in the final for best road bike.

d_douglas
03-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Did anyone see Dekerfs booth? I was at his shop in Jan and he had a hand it lugged, Di2, disc road bike that was pretty insane - his estimated price tag was staggering!

I would love to see how it turned out...

AngryScientist
03-18-2019, 09:29 AM
also - did they announce the 2020 location ?

prototoast
03-18-2019, 09:30 AM
best road bike finalists were lame. Did they not see the Cherubim or the 1300g steel frame from De anima, or Aarons bilam steel race bike, or english's race bike with undermount rear brake? i would not have put one of these finalists in the final for best road bike.

NAHBS is better if you pay no attention to the awards.

XXtwindad
03-18-2019, 09:32 AM
I saw a saddle that was heat activated to mold to your butt and a 1X13 groupset from a Spanish company called ROTOR. Not sure if this was a glimpse into the future or an unnecessary new standard...

Repack Rider
03-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Joe Breeze and I represented the Marin Museum of Bicycling/Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.

We displayed the Charlie Cunningham "tribute bike" built by Frank Wadelton ("Frank the Welder"), which is now on eBay to be auctioned off as a fundraiser for the injured bicycle frame building legend.

johnniecakes
03-18-2019, 10:27 AM
NAHBS is better if you pay no attention to the awards.

This is 100% accurate.

FlashUNC
03-18-2019, 10:29 AM
also - did they announce the 2020 location ?

Dallas.

R3awak3n
03-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Joe Breeze and I represented the Marin Museum of Bicycling/Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.

We displayed the Charlie Cunningham "tribute bike" built by Frank Wadelton ("Frank the Welder"), which is now on eBay to be auctioned off as a fundraiser for the injured bicycle frame building legend.

link? this sounds amazing

AngryScientist
03-18-2019, 10:47 AM
link? this sounds amazing

See Here:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=234759

Mzilliox
03-18-2019, 10:53 AM
I saw a saddle that was heat activated to mold to your butt and a 1X13 groupset from a Spanish company called ROTOR. Not sure if this was a glimpse into the future or an unnecessary new standard...

Rotor has been around for a bit! i did not like the aesthetic of the group, but the gear ranges were really good for gravel riding, and they are trying to market the closer steps compared to SRAM xd 10-42 cassettes. as a 1x gravel system, i would get 2 extra gears to calm down jumps and a touch more low end. one of the gals there was about to have me get on their pedal bike when some dude and his GF just randomly cut in and started to play with it. im not patient, so i moved on.

AngryScientist
03-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Dallas.

interesting.

i thought there was some speculation that it was going to continue to bounce back and fourth from east to west coast. guess not.

does anyone who has attended both have a feel for if 2019 or 2018 was better attended? my gut feeling would be that Sac would attract more bicycle people than Hartford, but i dont know.

joosttx
03-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Dallas.

I may actually go to that one.

donevwil
03-18-2019, 11:10 AM
My wife's takeaway from the show: we apparently need a tandem. Not quite sure how I feel about that.

My takeaway: Slower, mellower show than our two previous (all Sac). Much more enjoyable for us, especially with my wife sporting a knee scooter post foot surgery. William Porter of Porter Cycles is supremely talented and a super nice guy. Some nice new gadgetry from cinq & sinewave cycles. Although they don't technically offer it, Rotor is going to hook me up with a 177.5 sub-compact road crankset with removable spider. Want (need) a pair of custom shoes, but don't want to pay for a pair of custom shoes.

Lots of nice people in the bike biz, save a couple exhibitors who were downright rude and disrespectful on multiple occasions, one a contributor here, sad.

Enjoyed meeting a few Paceliners.

FlashUNC
03-18-2019, 11:11 AM
I may actually go to that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDB7GMnbUQ

Heisenberg
03-18-2019, 11:21 AM
interesting.

i thought there was some speculation that it was going to continue to bounce back and fourth from east to west coast. guess not.

does anyone who has attended both have a feel for if 2019 or 2018 was better attended? my gut feeling would be that Sac would attract more bicycle people than Hartford, but i dont know.

as a potential 2020 exhibitor, i really wish it would stay in one locale. planning around the geographic unknown is a pita.

not immensely excited about the prospect of dallas, either.

AngryScientist
03-18-2019, 11:30 AM
as a potential 2020 exhibitor, i really wish it would stay in one locale. planning around the geographic unknown is a pita.

i agree with this sentiment, all the way around.

Heisenberg
03-18-2019, 11:50 AM
i agree with this sentiment, all the way around.

as a critique of dallas:

it’s easy to fly into from either side of the country, but as a consumer-facing expo it makes little sense. far-flung from any of the largest premium bike markets, and certainly not a destination for cyclists, or boasting a robust cycling/outdoor community. direct roi for most exhibitors will be garbage, save pr coverage.

doubt we’ll go now.

joosttx
03-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Ill set you up in Dallas.

as a critique of dallas:

it’s easy to fly into from either side of the country, but as a consumer-facing expo it makes little sense. far-flung from any of the largest premium bike markets, and certainly not a destination for cyclists, or boasting a robust cycling/outdoor community. direct roi for most exhibitors will be garbage, save pr coverage.

doubt we’ll go now.

What WRL and Joe Pool Lake arent cycling mecca's?

choke
03-18-2019, 12:07 PM

not immensely excited about the prospect of dallas, either.As a consumer, I'm glad that it moves around. It has allowed me to attend the show on more than one occasion. If it was located in one place that isn't close to me I seriously doubt I would ever go to the show.

I can get why it's a PITA for the exhibitors but I think it's a huge plus for the customers.

572cv
03-18-2019, 12:11 PM
It's a great show to go see. I would never have gotten to do so, had it not come to the northeast and Hartford last year. So, while exhibitors may or may not be excited about different venues, it is a fine thing for those of us who have this on our bucket list of cycling adventures. I still savor the trip with my buddy Chip to see the show.

bikingshearer
03-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Went Saturday. As expected, I was not much interest in about two-thirds of the stuff but there was more than enough to appeal to the Old Phart/luddite/curmudgeon in me. Got a few things I had a use for (two cages From King - $10 per - how can you go wrong?), a pair of water bottles from Della Santa and a pair from NAHBS. Talked to some good people. most of whom have already been mentioned

I've been to four shows (the last San Jose one and all three Sactramento ones) and this was first time I went to any of the breakout sessions. The session with Grant Petersen asking questions and Tom Ritchey answering them was interesting and informative. I now know more than I did about tubing diameters, some of the advantages and disadvantages for various dimensions, and how testing standards affect how bikes get made. (Spolier alert: testing standards are not a one-to-one match for real-world conditions and needs. Color me shocked.) I got there a few minutes late and it was standing room only. Whether you agree or disagree with these two guys, they have a lot of knowledge and experience to pass along, and it is at the very least worthy of consideration.

The session with Nelson Vails was a good time. He talked about his keirin years and showed some of his home movies from when he was there. He is a very entertaining speaker, enough so that you don't mind the shameless self-promotion. He showed not just races, but a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff and inside poop on how it all looks from the racers' perspective. Big fun.

m_sasso
03-18-2019, 02:11 PM
It is labeled as the "North American Handmade Bicycle Show", has it ever left the US? Personally I would like to see it come to Canada or Mexico!

12snap
03-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Bingham is one with an open mind and a willingness to try something new. OTOH he not into inish aesthetics...you get the bead blast and the decal - not the mosiac bass boat.

I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting a Built. I'm sure Brad would be happy to build you a frame ready for paint that he could ship to the painter of your choice.

Mzilliox
03-18-2019, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting a Built. I'm sure Brad would be happy to build you a frame ready for paint that he could ship to the painter of your choice.

Same thought occurred to me and he has an email in his inbox whenever he recuperates from the show. The guy is really talented, and very down to earth about it all.

12snap
03-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Same thought occurred to me and he has an email in his inbox whenever he recuperates from the show. The guy is really talented, and very down to earth about it all.

Agreed, Brad is great. Kent is still very much involved as well. I've got a preliminary drawing for a gravel bike from them myself. Trying to nail down just exactly what I want before I put down a deposit.

happycampyer
03-18-2019, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting a Built. I'm sure Brad would be happy to build you a frame ready for paint that he could ship to the painter of your choice.I don’t think the bass boat comment was meant to be a knock on Brad/Eriksen/Built...

pdmtong
03-18-2019, 05:23 PM
I don’t think the bass boat comment was meant to be a knock on Brad/Eriksen/Built...
Correct, it wasn't...more just pointing out that if you want color, brad may not be the one stop shop. clearly his skills are off the chart. I really enjoyed talking to him. would have been nice to see Scott Hock and drop the blinglespeed reference so he knows I'm not just anybody...have friends in high places...

joosttx
03-18-2019, 05:24 PM
Correct, it wasn't...more just pointing out that if you want color, brad may not be the one stop shop. clearly his skills are off the chart. I really enjoyed talking to him. would have been nice to see Scott Hock and drop the blinglespeed reference so he knows I'm not just anybody...have friends in high places...

next bike I get will be a Built.

pdmtong
03-18-2019, 05:28 PM
next bike I get will be a Built.
what struck me the most is he was willing to think about doing things your way/differently.

his in-house spider for a sub-compact < 1:1 gravel gear would be something really useful around here.

and, he listened to me...not just gave me the plug-in speech.

joosttx
03-18-2019, 05:31 PM
what struck me the most is he was willing to think about doing things your way/differently.

his in-house spider for a sub-compact < 1:1 gravel gear would be something really useful around here.

and, he listened to me...not just gave me the plug-in speech.

I have a buddy who has two of his bikes. They are beautiful and just made well.

Mikej
03-18-2019, 06:15 PM
Kent came up with the spider- I have Eriksens by Brad, and have talked with him about stuff. I want a new Built road bike, but I want to ask him about butting the tubes. THEN we’ll see if f he’s up for anything-

Morgul Bismark
03-18-2019, 06:28 PM
RKP: NAHBS Awards - Construction Categories (http://redkiteprayer.com/2019/03/nahbs-the-awards-construction-categories/)

AngryScientist
03-18-2019, 06:31 PM
in thinking about this more, yes, you hit the nail on the head. Rim brake bikes still exist but the show is overwhelming with big tire ti disc frames. and paint. paint everywhere. if you think 2019 show as excessive, I would say there were probably 50% more builders showing the same in 2015.

the quality is so high, the choosing comes from small things you prefer or the way you feel about a particular brand/builder.

The reason it all looks the same is because there are no crap builders there. it's all the best of the best. every bike is a super model. or exotic car.

i agree with this, and it make me wonder...

how much can the market sustain?

i live in the NYC metro area, and i have yet to see many handbuilt titanium superbikes rolling around. plenty of pinarellos, s-works and colnagos, but very rarely do i see titanium of any sort.

how many ten thousand dollar plus ti superbikes actually sell/year anyway that keeps this many high quality builders in business?

weisan
03-18-2019, 06:43 PM
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/photo-gallery-2019-nahbs-part-one/

54ny77
03-18-2019, 06:58 PM
They get ordered, bought, and then never ridden.

Just like fancy sports cars.

I remember seeing one top shelf custom (albeit carbon) bike at a shop years ago that cost something like >$20k. Ordered by an executive, it wasn't picked up for at least a year. Shop was fine just displaying it, as was the owner.

How many folks here do the same thing, just at a different price point?

But yes, to your question, how many guys (or gals) are there out there that buy the stuff? Darned good question.

i agree with this, and it make me wonder...

how much can the market sustain?

i live in the NYC metro area, and i have yet to see many handbuilt titanium superbikes rolling around. plenty of pinarellos, s-works and colnagos, but very rarely do i see titanium of any sort.

how many ten thousand dollar plus ti superbikes actually sell/year anyway that keeps this many high quality builders in business?

Heisenberg
03-18-2019, 07:25 PM
They get ordered, bought, and then never ridden.

Just like fancy sports cars.

I remember seeing one top shelf custom (albeit carbon) bike at a shop years ago that cost something like >$20k. Ordered by an executive, it wasn't picked up for at least a year. Shop was fine just displaying it, as was the owner.

How many folks here do the same thing, just at a different price point?

But yes, to your question, how many guys (or gals) are there out there that buy the stuff? Darned good question.

speaking from anecdotal experience...it's small. it exists. $12-13k+ bikes are definitely a thing. it's limited, but they're a thing.

50-60% is more-money-than-the-pope. not enthusiasts (eg they don't identify as cyclists and couldn't tell you who old man campy was), but they appreciate nice things, and custom things. the bikes might get flogged (it's ****ing spectacular when this happens, and the bug bites), or they might spend most of their lives in a garage or on display. it's all good.

30-40% is enthusiasts with a good deal of means, but buying a bike of this level is not to be scoffed at. they like custom, have affinity for brands/builders, know what they want, probably know the history. they're just afforded more spending cash to drop the serious bills on what's important to them. after all, this is a helluva lot cheaper than track days and a track car. i'd put a lot of people here in this bucket.

10-20%? diehards and industry people. they're the cats making middle-class money who sock the cash away for years to get the $15k wunderbike. or they're single guys living on pbj so they can spring for the firefly/vagen/baum. or they're industry employees who want a grail/forever bike, when even "the deal" is eye-wateringly expensive (hi, i've been here). these people are cool, or they're insane. and sometimes both.

whole pie lacks diversity, though.