PDA

View Full Version : OT: For the 'Fashionistas'

XXtwindad
12-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Just cuz I'm a Dad doesn't mean I want "Dad jeans." Just the opposite, in fact. I don't want something that looks like I'm planning on cleaning the garage out.

The problem: my thighs and butt don't fit in a lot of the skinny jeans. So I end up sizing up with the waist and altering it. I figure that some of my brethren here might be in the same boat.

I've got a few pair of Levi's 505. They're OK, but I want some fashion forward stuff with athletic cuts.

Suggestions?

dbnm
12-31-2018, 01:06 PM
Try some JCrew 770 jeans and also check out Uniqlo if there is one near you.

Ken Robb
12-31-2018, 01:07 PM
CHECK LANDSEND, they have several different models and some have some stretch. They will cut to your exact length too.

Bruce K
12-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Levi’s 541 is an athletic cut with a little stretch to them

Much better fit for those with sprinter legs.

BK

polyhistoric
12-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Naked & Famous - horrible branding, great fabrics (all forms of selvage denim), and reasonable cost for high zoot denim. The "Weird Guy" fit is more generous at thigh with a good taper.

12-31-2018, 01:43 PM
For cost effective jeans with loose hips and thighs, try Ariat M3 Vortex. It's a fire-resistant jean and you pay a little for it, but the quality is superb, it modifies the traditional watch pocket to fit a big iPhone (I have a XS Max in it) and they fade beautifully. I work in them and have never had a problem with sizing or with durability. Read the washing instructions (no fabric softener) if you want to keep them fire-resistant, but the FR rating doesn't change how they feel or look. I'm a track sprinter and find they work really well.

There're also Keirin Cut Jeans, which are spec'd by some track cyclists. A bit more expensive but also very nicely done. They're just harder to find.

Nooch
12-31-2018, 01:55 PM
Gap has awesome flex jeans that are really nice, but don't know if they'll give you enough room. Or, if you're built like Foerstemann, maybe check out barbell apparel https://barbellapparel.com/collections/men

dsimon
12-31-2018, 01:58 PM
I like Mountain Kakis they seem to fit the bill perfectly... not really jeans but they fit the bill

hokoman
12-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Diesel Larkee, but the wash that has a little stretch (the raw denim cut fits differently). The are straight leg with a very generous thigh and butt area. The added bonus for Diesel is that most the other premium brands don't offer inseam lengths.

Bentley
12-31-2018, 02:10 PM
Either will have a fit that works, plus they have enough stretch for.the thighs. Paige Transcend in the closest fit will be great

don'TreadOnMe
12-31-2018, 02:13 PM
Kuhl Rydr

echappist
12-31-2018, 02:14 PM
there's a brand called Keirin Jeans, just for cyclists (and other quadzillas out there)

bcroslin
12-31-2018, 02:19 PM
Swrve makes “jeans” made from cordura that I swear are the best jeans I’ve ever worn. The regular cut is roomy in the thighs and calf’s without looking like you’re wearing a potatoe sack. Best of all, they’re made in LA and have awesome customer service in case you need to return an item.

kppolich
12-31-2018, 02:20 PM
https://mugsyjeans.com/collections/comfortable-mens-jeans

primov8
12-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Some of my faves:
Buffalo David Bitton-Evan X slim stretch, King slim bootcut, Six straight stretch
Ralph Lauren Eldridge, Sullivan slim, Hampton straight

ultraman6970
12-31-2018, 02:26 PM
I use levis exclusively since like 40 years ago, cant stand any other brand, cyclist and im like you and now with a big belly too :D Cant stand jeans that look like jamis... besides every day I wake up my butt and legs are still attached to me, not like other guys that leave them in bed every morning :P

Levis is using stretch fabrics lately... U should try maybe stretch 505 or 514 or levis signatures. They will feel kind;a tight at the begining but they will stretch out and mod to you a lot easier than regular denim, well as i said before the fabric stretches.

The levis signature is like a hipster type of jeans, those you can find them at wallmart, check out models because they have 2 if im not wrong. They stretch enough and from what Ive noticed they passed the "holes between the legs at early stages" test with colors, usually cant use a jeans more than 1 year and since my mom is not here to fix them... well sure it happen to many of you, holes between the legs :)

Costco has 505's stretch just in case,easier than go to a levis store.

Hope this helps.

JWDR
12-31-2018, 02:29 PM
Uniqlo stretch selvedge slim fit.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-stretch-selvedge-slim-fit-jeans-409656COL69INS029034.html?s=shopping&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmafhBRDUARIsACOKEROQi6dJLoABXyxkYykY Loy6-LrRlO_zrH0grxgD2_mI5VXEqZmmBQMaAugvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like the fit better than Levi’s 514s and Uniqlo sizing is more consistent pair to pair than Levi’s. I have to try every pair of Levi’s in since even pairs marked the exact same fit differently, especially the length.

XXtwindad
12-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback! I've never heard of many of the brands. I thought I'd heard of "Naked and Famous" but I was thinking of "God and Famous," which is also in NYC. Same branding team, perhaps.

Checked out the Keirin site on the basis of several posters. Yikes! Don't see too many riders in the Peleton built like their models :)

joosttx
12-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Tellason is my preferred choice. Made in the USA

old_fat_and_slow
12-31-2018, 04:06 PM

CDollarsign
12-31-2018, 04:44 PM
I know people are going to be like ‘$350 jeans?!?!’ But this is paceline...
I am a husky bro and have had amazing luck with the fit and finish of Iron Heart 633s. They have plenty of room through the thighs, not an outrageously low rise and are tapered nicely below the knee. These are the only pair of ‘fancy’ jean I haven’t blown the crotch out of yet. I buy a new pair every two years.

MagicHour
12-31-2018, 04:55 PM
Check out the unbranded brand - variety of fits, good quality <$100

scoobydrew
12-31-2018, 05:02 PM
Check out the unbranded brand - variety of fits, good quality <$100

Good suggestion. I'd recommend checking out the "Tapered Fit" from them, which is roomier in the thigh & seat (rear end), but tapers down after the knee for a narrower leg opening. The Unbranded brand is a good introduction to raw denim due to its price point.

Alternatively, find a pair of jeans that fit you in the waist, seat, and thigh, and have a tailor taper the leg to your liking.

MagicHour
12-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Yep those are the ones I have UB201-still fairly slim though depending on ops needs. I have a pair of made in USA 501 Levi’s selvedge I bought around the same time, that were close to double the cost, and the UBs look higher end, heavier wt denim and have held their color better after 1yr.

Good suggestion. I'd recommend checking out the "Tapered Fit" from them, which is roomier in the thigh & seat (rear end), but tapers down after the knee for a narrower leg opening. The Unbranded brand is a good introduction to raw denim due to its price point.

Alternatively, find a pair of jeans that fit you in the waist, seat, and thigh, and have a tailor taper the leg to your liking.

Cat3roadracer
12-31-2018, 06:39 PM
Guess I'm going to clean the garage tonight with my LL Bean jeans.

dancinkozmo
12-31-2018, 06:49 PM
you want fashion forward...how about the camelle toe jeans ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzuixgalmbo&t=0s&index=89&list=PLo_UQZib9jJjyMfyC4p3XH3O11T1im2Mj

adub
12-31-2018, 06:56 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzuixgalmbo&t=0s&index=89&list=PLo_UQZib9jJjyMfyC4p3XH3O11T1im2Mj

Personally I'd go for the Moose Knuckle

On a more serious note check out Lucky Brand 410 Athletic

echappist
12-31-2018, 08:02 PM

unfortunately, the link works doesn't work south of the border here ;)

had to use a VPN to see what it's about

btw, impressed that CBC has stuff this edgy. PBS/NPR would get defunded down here for something similar

pdonk
01-01-2019, 05:35 AM
I'll second both naked and famous weird guy and iron hearts.

With n&f ve careful about the denims. They do weird / interesting things.

I'd also add in Jean shop, strike gold and some cuts of flathead.

oldpotatoe
01-01-2019, 05:39 AM
Wrangler aT Target..the stretchy ones..
https://www.target.com/p/men-s-athletic-fit-jeans-goodfellow-co-153-rinse-wash/-/A-53511933?preselect=53247560#lnk=sametab

$28:)

Dave
01-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Rustler jeans at Wal-Mart - $11.

rccardr
01-01-2019, 08:54 AM
I was surprised to find that Old Navy has jeans that fit me comfortably. Like you, I have fairly large thighs relative to my waist size, and the 'Droit' series at ON are my new faves. A little spandex in them, kind of a slim cut, come in several denim fabrics. Try on a stack of them however, as I also found that the fit varies somewhat from pair to pair.

Mzilliox
01-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Gap have become my favorites, they just fit! im 29 waist 32 inseam and sometimes thats hard to find for me. the stretch of the gap jeans is nice. and they are cheapish.

Nordstrom Rack has some rad sales and easy return policy, theres a company called "theory" (i think) on their site that seems to have really nice cords, jeans and man pants. they also fit me very well.

C40_guy
01-01-2019, 10:36 AM
Guess I'm going to clean the garage tonight with my LL Bean jeans.

I was going to suggest LL Bean. They have a pretty good selection of cuts and styles...

Also, for winter wear, their flannel lined jeans are awesome! :)

Louis
01-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Rustler jeans at Wal-Mart - $11.

Unless they were 100% made by robots (unlikely) imagine what the hourly wages of the person (child?) that made them must have been.

William
01-01-2019, 11:16 AM
From a certified Clydesdale/Glutezilla/Quadzilla/Calfzilla the 511 jeans have been a welcome option. Very rugged but also comfortable with the stretch inherent in the fabric...I could easily kick someone in the head wearing these things (not that I would :) ). I really appreciate the double and triple stitching with reinforcements. Especially helpful in the belt loops where in Levi, GAP, and other brands I tend to pull them out in fairly short order.

Thy have the typical five pockets, but they also have two hidden pockets that easily carry an EDC pocket knife as well as single and double stack mags (if you are qualified/certified to carry such things).

Rinse Wash Indigo or Dark Wash Indigo
Button top fly with locking YKK® zipper
Dual back patch pockets
10 oz. mechanical stretch denim (76% cotton / 24% polyester with Lycra® T400 Tough Max™)
GSA/TAA compliant
Five pocket styling plus two rear hip pockets
Double needle construction with bar tacks in high-stress areas

William

Ozz
01-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Unless they were 100% made by robots (unlikely) imagine what the hourly wages of the person (child?) that made them must have been.

Here you go...Japanese fabric, cut and sewn in USA: https://www.agavedenim.com/collections/waterman/products/no-7-relaxed-jean-leucadia-flex?variant=5424490577948

I've had a pair for 5+ yrs....most comfortable jeans I own.

Pricey....

I also have some Lucky Brand I got at Costco for about $30 that are pretty comfy.

William
01-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Stitching and reenforcement...

W.

d_douglas
01-01-2019, 11:32 AM
DuEr jeans! I own two pairs and they’re like wearing sweatpants only they’re stylish jeans!!

The models are all (naturally) skinny little hipsters, but they fit me great as well, as a rotund dad :)

New Years resolution is to reduce my ‘rotundness’

XXtwindad
01-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Really impressed with all the feedback. Struggling to think of a topic that at least some Paceliners wouldn't be able to weigh in. Lawn bowling?

zzy
01-01-2019, 01:12 PM
OP - this is basically the best time ever to shop for tapered jeans if your thigh/waist ratio is abnormal. It's always been my curse buying pants too. Every major band now has a 'normal tapered' fit meaning you can get a slimmer cut thru the leg without the awful middle age dude in skinny jeans look. Levis 541 and 502 work well, and the 501CT if you can find it (their commuter line is trash now). BR makes Traveller pants in a tapered cut and they work great as bike commuter pants. J Crew's 1040 fit is wider and tapered. Swrve makes nice tapered bike jeans too.

Naked & Famous - horrible branding, great fabrics (all forms of selvage denim), and reasonable cost for high zoot denim. The "Weird Guy" fit is more generous at thigh with a good taper.

I am a huge N&F fan but I think the Easy Guy fit is much better for cyclists. I love my WGs but always found the rise a bit low for cycling.

enr1co
01-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Wrangler aT Target..the stretchy ones..
https://www.target.com/p/men-s-athletic-fit-jeans-goodfellow-co-153-rinse-wash/-/A-53511933?preselect=53247560#lnk=sametab

$28:)

Also at Target, the Denizen Levi's® "Athletic Fit 231", stretch fabric, $29 list but they are typically on sale for at least 25% off or more. Check that "weekly flyer"!

Description states low rise but fit high enough over the butt so you are not having to constantly pulling them up or get that dreaded saggy butt and crotch look. Also room for our manly cycling thighs ;)

https://www.target.com/p/denizen-174-from-levi-s-174-men-s-231-153-athletic-slim-fit-jeans-perth-36x32/-/A-52161386?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Men%2BShopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Men_Top+Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9032044&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246978&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Men+Shopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Men_Top%20Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9032044&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuJ-h3aXN3wIVjv5kCh0tHQz5EAQYASABEgIZy_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

YesNdeed
01-01-2019, 01:16 PM
+1 for Naked and Famous Weird Guy. They're slim, not skinny, very good quality denim and cut. FWIW, I'm 41 :banana:

rst72
01-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but buy any pair of jeans that fit you well in the seat, rise and waist. Then find a good tailor and take in the legs as needed.

Louis
01-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Also at Target, the Denizen (Levis) line- athletic fit, stretch fabric, $29 list but they are typically on sale for at least 25% off or more. Check that "weekly flyer"!

I have a pair of Denizen jeans. I'm not sure about the model, but the low rise is a bit annoying, and they aren't quite as loose in the thighs as I'd like.

My biggest issue with jeans is finding lightweight options for the hot and humid St Louis summers. Now for July and August I switch over to some Ex Officio (sp?) pants made of super light and breathable nylon-type material that's way cooler than cotton jeans.

XXtwindad
01-01-2019, 01:49 PM

This is, of course, a point worth pondering. Several posters mentioned "Unbranded" and I really like the look of the cut. They're made in Macau. I'm not sure what the working conditions there are, or if it should impact my decision.

Taking it a few steps further, not all my bike parts are American made. Where do you draw the line? I'm not sure what that answer is ...

enr1co
01-01-2019, 02:07 PM
I have a pair of Denizen jeans. I'm not sure about the model, but the low rise is a bit annoying, and they aren't quite as loose in the thighs as I'd like.

My biggest issue with jeans is finding lightweight options for the hot and humid St Louis summers. Now for July and August I switch over to some Ex Officio (sp?) pants made of super light and breathable nylon-type material that's way cooler than cotton jeans.

The Denizen Levi's® "Athletic Fit 231" should generally have more room in the thighs but have found that some of the same, supposed lots of clothes can have cut variations/defects.

echappist
01-01-2019, 02:19 PM
This is, of course, a point worth pondering. Several posters mentioned "Unbranded" and I really like the look of the cut. They're made in Macau. I'm not sure what the working conditions there are, or if it should impact my decision.

Taking it a few steps further, not all my bike parts are American made. Where do you draw the line? I'm not sure what that answer is ...

I think the issue here is that we should take this a step further and ask "so what if it's made in the U.S.A." Before anyone go lambast me, the leather shoes I wear are all made by Allen Edmonds in Wisconsin, and more than half of my suits and sportcoats are made in either Canada or the U.S. When it's not too much out of reach, I'll buy things made Stateside.

But that said, it's a bit naive to think that "Made in the U.S.A." per se means much. Brooks Brothers makes dress shirts in North Carolina and charges $140 for them. While the cost of living is low, those workers get $10-14/hr. (https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article209747809.html) The rest goes to overhead and profits. It's probably a living wage, but remember that it's not that much higher than the threshold for living wage.

ETA: i guess getting paid $10-14/hr for manufacturing job is still better than the alternative of getting paid $7-9 (remember, these are in rural towns) at Mickey D's or a place like Walmart, but that's really not that high of a bar to clear...

awdwon
01-01-2019, 02:30 PM
My faves (for reference I'm a pretty big dude 6'2", 235 lbs). The slim fits in these are actually really nice, don't feel like I'm in 90's skater jeans.

Swrve slim denim
Du/er slim or regular cut
Taylor Stitch democratic fit (roomiest in the legs of these 3)

rccardr
01-01-2019, 02:55 PM
And while we're at it, in the jeans-that-aren't-jeans department, my SiL raves about his Kuhl brand Krash model pants. Wears 'em just like jeans and they wear like iron.

I got a Klash jacket from Mrs. Doc for Christmas and it's similarly awesome.

DRZRM
01-02-2019, 07:19 AM
+1 on Iron Heart 633S. Thick denim at 21 oz. per yard (vs. about 14 oz. for Levi's 501s) . Wears well and breaks in beautifully. If you wear out the crotch (takes years) Self Edge (NY, SF) does repairs with a machine that essentially reweaves denim for like $40.

I know people are going to be like ‘$350 jeans?!?!’ But this is paceline...
I am a husky bro and have had amazing luck with the fit and finish of Iron Heart 633s. They have plenty of room through the thighs, not an outrageously low rise and are tapered nicely below the knee. These are the only pair of ‘fancy’ jean I haven’t blown the crotch out of yet. I buy a new pair every two years.

pdonk
01-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Also note for iron hearts if you don't want the heavy weight almost all cuts come in lighter denims from iron heart UK.

Don't be scared of the weight. The hand of the fabric is really nice. I have a pair that is 11 years old and goi g string.

wkeller79
01-02-2019, 08:38 AM
I was surprised to find that Old Navy has jeans that fit me comfortably. Like you, I have fairly large thighs relative to my waist size, and the 'Droit' series at ON are my new faves. A little spandex in them, kind of a slim cut, come in several denim fabrics. Try on a stack of them however, as I also found that the fit varies somewhat from pair to pair.

I discovered the Old Navy spandexy jeans this past spring. Like them a lot! I rock their "Boot-Cut Built-In Flex Jeans". Can easily find them on sale for $15-$25.

Bentley
01-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Tellason is my preferred choice. Made in the USA

Great Jeans, I love mine, but sounds like the OP may need some stretch.

Ray

adrien
01-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Oddly, for me, several lines of Hugo Boss -- both the jeans and the business-casual pants that are cut like jeans.

stackie
02-04-2019, 12:00 AM
I'd like to go ahead and give a great big thanks and shout out to anyone and everyone who recommended Naked and Famous jeans in the "weird guy" fit.

I totally dove into the raw denim rabbit hole. Spent hours looking at their jeans as well as countless other raw denim jeans. Finally, once I found the N and F collaboration with Raised by Wolves jeans, the deal was sealed. Who is going to pass on jeans with "f*ck off" embroidered on the selvedge edge? This is done.

OK, now for good parts. N and F does not accept returns or size exchange. Return for store credit only. Shipping both ways on you, the customer. These guys are serious. Really? Mail order in 2019? That's pretty fascist. But, heck, you've got jeans with "f*ck off" on the selvedge. I'm hooked. I watch the sizing video, read all their charts. Measure every pair of jeans that I have that done quite fit the way I want. Who new that size 34 jeans now have a 36 waist? ***? Jerry? Anyway, I settle on 33 as the thigh doesn't get any bigger with 34. They are a little bigger in the thigh than a pair of Hollister hipster jeans that are a bit too skinny. Pay my gonks. They are on the way.

Two days, later, Fed Ex envelope arrives. A pair of jeans inside with a receipt. No pink tissue paper with Giro stories on it wrapping my precious new jeans. They don't need it. The bag could have had a massive hole in it, rub around in that Fed Ex cargo hold, truck, tossed down my concrete driveway. These jeans would have laughed at the concrete. I literally pulled them, folded in thirds, out of bag by one end. They stayed at a 90 degree angle. These jeans are not taking any ****.

I attempt to put them on. Hmmm. I guess when your jeans have the stiffness of a Columbus MAX downtube, getting your wimpy a** legs into them is not going to be easy. First attempt. No go. N and F weird guy 1, Stackie 0.

Toss them aside bitter AF for a few days. Finally, gotta deal with this over the weekend. Saturday, I put on my sleekest underwear and wiggle my winter weight lower limbs and rump into this pair of jeans. I will master them. After a few minutes of standing like a wooden soldier, I think I can move. Wear them around house for a few hours. Oh, this is not going to be easy.

Today, I am still waging war with these jeans. All the cool kids wear them for six months before washing to get the cool fades, whiskers, and honeycomb (had to look that up). I just want to wash them with a couple cups of sand. Ya, that's a thing. Go to the beach and lay in the ocean and rub sand all over them. Of course, if you get swept out to sea, good luck swimming in these things with your legs bound like a sub in a sadist dungeon.

That's all I got for today. I'm sure that in 6 months or so, I'll have a great pair of jeans that will have me shopping at TJ's with swagger coming out my ears. But, for now, I just gotta go get these things off. The jeans, you creeps.

Thanks again,

Jon

Blue Jays
02-04-2019, 12:21 AM
Tellason is where it’s at!

ERK55
02-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the world of raw denim.
I tried to make the commitment, I really did. Bought some Tellason while visiting SF (Well known denim place on Mission St). Sales kid said yeah they look good but later i found when sitting/crouching they pull halfway down my rear. My nice lined gray flannel work pants I find much more comfortable. Tried a couple other selvege brands w/ similar experience.
But, the one think no one seems to be discussing is the issue of bleedind dye eith raw denim. They all do it to one degree or another. Blue due on underwear, shirt tails if tucked in, on pale colored upholtery (I’m not allowed to sit on certain furniture etc. After 15-20 wearings it’s still going on.
Make sure you have black upholstery in your car.

pobrien
02-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Can you not throw the jeans in the washer for a day or two to soften them up?
Just a thought.

I second using Lands End for pants and also fine clothes as suggested by Ken Robb earlier. They do their best to be ethical and still stay in business.

pdonk
02-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Just a thought.

Yes an unagitated rinse helps get rid of the excess starch and you don't lose too much indigo. The water will be a weird murky brown with a tinge of blue and smell sweet.

As a person who has been into this style of denim for 15 years, I wash when dirty, wear as you want and yes be very careful about what and were you sit. I almost blued the leather tan interior of my bosses G wagon, made sure to take my coat off and sit on it.

pobrien
02-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Interesting about the dye coming out. That sounds potentially expensive!

f you started to wear khakis and nice shirts your boss might see you as the next boss and let you drive his G wagon once in a while!

Fifteen years should be long enough to be wearing jeans (says the old guy).

stackie
02-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Just a thought.

You Philistine! No, you can’t just throw them in the washer. That would make the dye even out too early, ruining you chance for glorious fades from your wallet, condoms, etc. People are going for whiskers and honeycomb (had to look that up). You wear them without washing as long as possible. One guy apparently even routinely pisses his pants with them on. There’s some seriously weird stuff going on here.

But, yes, I don’t think mine are going 6 months without washing. I’m going cave soon and wash them.

Jon

pobrien
02-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Too funny! And young fellows hope to meet young ladies wearing these jeans?

I am older than I thought!

ERK55
02-04-2019, 04:16 PM
It seems like a whole new thing, this wearing the jeans for 6 months or more without laundering. After all, you wouldn't want to prematurely remove the starch from the manufacturer which gives the denim that new smooth stiff appearance and texture.
Apparently some of these guys, to mitigate smelliness developing in their pants, will place them in the freezer for a while. All in the interest of keeping them away from water.

ERK55
02-04-2019, 04:19 PM
And by the way I did mess up the inside of a nice pale leather jacket where it rubbed against the back of the jeans- it's all dark blue now.

happycampyer
02-04-2019, 09:53 PM
It seems like a whole new thing, this wearing the jeans for 6 months or more without laundering. After all, you wouldn't want to prematurely remove the starch from the manufacturer which gives the denim that new smooth stiff appearance and texture.
Apparently some of these guys, to mitigate smelliness developing in their pants, will place them in the freezer for a while. All in the interest of keeping them away from water.
For full effect, one needs to pan for gold for 6 months, not taking the jeans off even to sleep.

fourspin
02-04-2019, 10:02 PM
N&F here as well. 17oz Tempi treated Made in Japan. Year 3. Here’s a gratuitous junk shot.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190205/b31086fbac0fe619ab10e592386465c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pobrien
02-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Someone must be shining you on about the young ladies being attracted to young men wearing funky smelling jeanshttps://forums.thepaceline.net/images/smilies/no-no-no.gif

As someone drunk once said, it never happened without a photo!

Gold panning for six months with no washing. She had better be worth it!

zzy
02-05-2019, 08:55 AM
I'd like to go ahead and give a great big thanks and shout out to anyone and everyone who recommended Naked and Famous jeans in the "weird guy" fit.

I totally dove into the raw denim rabbit hole. Spent hours looking at their jeans as well as countless other raw denim jeans. Finally, once I found the N and F collaboration with Raised by Wolves jeans, the deal was sealed. Who is going to pass on jeans with "f*ck off" embroidered on the selvedge edge? This is done.

OK, now for good parts. N and F does not accept returns or size exchange. Return for store credit only. Shipping both ways on you, the customer. These guys are serious. Really? Mail order in 2019? That's pretty fascist. But, heck, you've got jeans with "f*ck off" on the selvedge. I'm hooked. I watch the sizing video, read all their charts. Measure every pair of jeans that I have that done quite fit the way I want. Who new that size 34 jeans now have a 36 waist? ***? Jerry? Anyway, I settle on 33 as the thigh doesn't get any bigger with 34. They are a little bigger in the thigh than a pair of Hollister hipster jeans that are a bit too skinny. Pay my gonks. They are on the way.

Two days, later, Fed Ex envelope arrives. A pair of jeans inside with a receipt. No pink tissue paper with Giro stories on it wrapping my precious new jeans. They don't need it. The bag could have had a massive hole in it, rub around in that Fed Ex cargo hold, truck, tossed down my concrete driveway. These jeans would have laughed at the concrete. I literally pulled them, folded in thirds, out of bag by one end. They stayed at a 90 degree angle. These jeans are not taking any ****.

I attempt to put them on. Hmmm. I guess when your jeans have the stiffness of a Columbus MAX downtube, getting your wimpy a** legs into them is not going to be easy. First attempt. No go. N and F weird guy 1, Stackie 0.

Toss them aside bitter AF for a few days. Finally, gotta deal with this over the weekend. Saturday, I put on my sleekest underwear and wiggle my winter weight lower limbs and rump into this pair of jeans. I will master them. After a few minutes of standing like a wooden soldier, I think I can move. Wear them around house for a few hours. Oh, this is not going to be easy.

Today, I am still waging war with these jeans. All the cool kids wear them for six months before washing to get the cool fades, whiskers, and honeycomb (had to look that up). I just want to wash them with a couple cups of sand. Ya, that's a thing. Go to the beach and lay in the ocean and rub sand all over them. Of course, if you get swept out to sea, good luck swimming in these things with your legs bound like a sub in a sadist dungeon.

That's all I got for today. I'm sure that in 6 months or so, I'll have a great pair of jeans that will have me shopping at TJ's with swagger coming out my ears. But, for now, I just gotta go get these things off. The jeans, you creeps.

Thanks again,

Jon

You went too small and they probably won't work unless you plan to lose weight. You'll get an extra inch or so in the waist but almost nothing thru the leg after stretching. The easy guy cut would have likely worked better, especially with some stretch in the material.

Take and Yoko are really good about helping pick the right size. Just send them the measurements of jeans that fit well and they will help you find the right cut and size, even measuring they ship exaxtly. And their return policy is strict because so many people do what you did and want free returns.

seanile
03-26-2019, 03:42 PM
been looking for some new clothes, but then revisted Swrve and saw that they're at the tail end of a sale. bought a bunch of shorts and a pair of pants. their purist bottles are also quite inexpensive

Last Call...

Spring has sprung and that means it’s getting to be time for us to pump the breaks on our spring break sale.

You have through this weekend to save 20% sitewide when you enter the code SPRINGBREAK2019 at checkout before it’s back to the daily grind of reality on Monday.

https://mailchi.mp/swrve/ocroggqabu-3157649?fbclid=IwAR082CTO1O47bHMyTr9yhCjgV7kj8sXHY KElUFUbzTD0SlEjKqkAJuB--jA

edit: just learned they have a rewards program, so if you wanna click this link right here when you decide to shop, that'd be swell ;)
http://rwrd.io/yq627xd
(if anyone actually does this, i'll make a donation to paceline)

fellowsun
03-26-2019, 11:29 PM
having worked in a men's clothing store, and worn multiple fits, washes and brands of jeans over the years; for me, the best denim i've ever had are this brand Tender.

https://www.tenderstores.com/product/type-130-tapered-jeans/

i will likely never own jeans that aren't the Tender 130 style ever again.

David Tollefson
09-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Another possibility, that I haven't tried yet, is Dearborn Denim in the relaxed cut. American made in Chicago. https://dearborndenim.us/collections/mens-jeans

benb
09-16-2020, 10:55 AM
I can't be bothered with anything expensive.. way too often it feels like you're paying 2-3x as much for jeans that feel like they will wear out way too fast.

There's literally nothing that Levi's makes at all last time I tried that even came close to fitting me. Even the athletic fit had next to no room in the butt & thighs relative to the waist. If I gained 30-40lbs I bet I could fit in Levi's again cause it seems they're all cut for guys that are fairly heavy and have a lot more stomach relative to quads/glutes. I'm 6'1", when I was > 200 I could wear Levi's fine, but that was 20 years ago and on top of me being much heavier Levi's was not cutting everything so skinny jean back then.

I do OK with Gap's loosest sizes.. but I'm generally still having to upsize to that a belt is important to keep the pants up.

Wranger as well.. I can wear some Wranglers if I go up a 36 waist. (My waist is more like 32-33" range)

And always always try on every pair.. it's not like each pair that's marked AxB is actually that size, not even close.

David Tollefson
09-16-2020, 11:12 AM
Wranger as well.. I can wear some Wranglers if I go up a 36 waist. (My waist is more like 32-33" range)

I'd suggest giving the Wrangle 20X No. 33 style a try if you haven't already.

Blue Jays
09-16-2020, 12:48 PM
Thanks for bumping-up this thread as we head into cooler autumn weather.
Have been learning a lot beyond just washing cold inside-out and hang-to-dry.

echappist
09-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Swrve apparently makes limited edition selvedge jeans. Wish I had known, and I would have bought a pair.

Otoh, they make some cool cycling caps

XXtwindad
12-06-2021, 10:59 AM
Bumping this thread up as I’m thinking about updating my wardrobe. Really intrigued by Tellason, 3sixteen, Iron Heart, and particularly Studio D’Artisan (the D1826 relax tapered)

Anyone got any other recommendations for a guy with 26/27 inch thighs? Or, possibly, any of those listed above for sale? (Prob 36/32) Thx!

jkbrwn
12-06-2021, 11:10 AM
Bumping this thread up as I’m thinking about updating my wardrobe. Really intrigued by Tellason, 3sixteen, Iron Heart, and particularly Studio D’Artisan (the D1826 relax tapered)

Anyone got any other recommendations for a guy with 26/27 inch thighs? Or, possibly, any of those listed above for sale? (Prob 36/32) Thx!

Question for you. Do you have a pair of jeans you already like? Something that helps me buy jeans or trousers for that matter, is to measure a pair of jeans I already like and use those measurements to go against. Something to bear in mind: jeans aren't measured via thigh circumference. They're measured across. So, I know that if I look at a measurement chart and a pair of trousers/jeans doesn't have a 14" thigh measurement at an absolute minimum, I am not going to like them.

What kind of fit are you looking for? The Self Edge jean finder is really useful. I don't love the style of jeans that Self Edge stock - a bit to biker gang for me - but they stock IH, Tellason and 3Sixteen I think.

I think you're in the Bay. I don't remember which part. You should try to go to Standard & Strange the next time you're in Oakland. Run by some of the best people I've ever dealt from a retail perspective.

A brand I personally have an affinity for is Warehouse Co. Their jeans, but particularly the denim they weave are truly outstanding.

I don't know if you care about sweet fades, but these two pairs of Warehouse's are constructed from the same denim. The faded pair were worn and washed regularly for two years and are the comfiest jeans I have ever owned.

XXtwindad
12-06-2021, 11:21 AM
Question for you. Do you have a pair of jeans you already like? Something that helps me buy jeans or trousers for that matter, is to measure a pair of jeans I already like and use those measurements to go against. Something to bear in mind: jeans aren't measured via thigh circumference. They're measured across. So, I know that if I look at a measurement chart and a pair of trousers/jeans doesn't have a 14" thigh measurement at an absolute minimum, I am not going to like them.

What kind of fit are you looking for? The Self Edge jean finder is really useful. I don't love the style of jeans that Self Edge stock - a bit to biker gang for me - but they stock IH, Tellason and 3Sixteen I think.

I think you're in the Bay. I don't remember which part. You should try to go to Standard & Strange the next time you're in Oakland. Run by some of the best people I've ever dealt from a retail perspective.

A brand I personally have an affinity for is Warehouse Co. Their jeans, but particularly the denim they weave are truly outstanding.

I don't know if you care about sweet fades, but these two pairs of Warehouse's are constructed from the same denim. The faded pair were worn and washed regularly for two years and are the comfiest jeans I have ever owned.

Great advice. Thanks. I’m a novice in the “selvedge” world, but I have a buddy who is very passionate about the subject and he sent me the “Self Edge” link. Still a lot to absorb.

I live in Oakland. I will for sure make a visit to “Standard & Strange.” Thanks for the tip!

pdonk
12-06-2021, 03:22 PM
I am an iron heart fan, take a trip to self edge and try on a few pairs. They have cuts for every body type, they also now offer regular weights as well so you don't have to commit to the 21 oz pairs.

Staff can be a bit off putting, kind of like going to a high end bike store, but once they know you are there to buy tend to warm up.

jkbrwn
12-06-2021, 03:30 PM
Staff can be a bit off putting, kind of like going to a high end bike store, but once they know you are there to buy tend to warm up.

This sucks. And is my experience with their locations here in LA as well as SF, PDX and NY. This alone should be a reason to not support Self Edge. Kiya has obviously done a lot for the industry in the U.S., but there's just no excuse to be standoffish when working in such a niche retail environment.

retropean
12-06-2021, 04:47 PM
Standard & Strange is great!

For something a bit more “modern” you could try some of Outlier’s options. I find their modern fabrics tend to have a bit more give in all the right places for my legs. Plus, gussets!

pdonk
12-06-2021, 04:50 PM
This sucks. And is my experience with their locations here in LA as well as SF, PDX and NY. This alone should be a reason to not support Self Edge. Kiya has obviously done a lot for the industry in the U.S., but there's just no excuse to be standoffish when working in such a niche retail environment.

I've had really good service in NY and Portland. Both have expedited chain stitching for me and even offered to ship for me. SF shop was different. Skipped LA store on trip as I'd already bought at SF.

XXtwindad
10-01-2022, 12:23 PM
For my big-butted and big thighed brethren, I’ve discovered the Holy Grail of jeans (ish): https://huckberry.com/store/flint-and-tinder/category/p/62342-365-pant-tapered?htm_adsource=shopping&htm_admedium=googlep&htm_adcampaign=shopping-housebrand-acquisition&htm_adcontent=acquisition&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyt-ZBhCNARIsAKH1174fQeWrN0kOeVjys1srBz7OeC5HwzcEQILsW VfDevK5Beb1KszC5noaAiNoEALw_wcB

Dress them up or down. They stretch and breathe. I now own five pairs in different colors. Years of searching for something fashionable for guys with some junk in the trunk and big thighs. Buy a pair. Or three. You won’t regret it.

nighthawk
10-01-2022, 12:38 PM
Didn’t see them mentioned yet, but a mid-range in price/quality option, with an “athletic” cut:

https://www.madewell.com/mens/jeans/athletic-fit-jeans