PDA

View Full Version : sleepy after intense workout

ColnagoC59
12-30-2018, 06:46 PM
It doesn't happen with cycling so much but if i do an intense run say a 10k. i go right to sleep upon coming home. Anyone else experience this? Been this way for years.

gasman
12-30-2018, 07:11 PM
It doesn't happen with cycling so much but if i do an intense run say a 10k. i go right to sleep upon coming home. Anyone else experience this? Been this way for years.

I always need food and a nap after every intense workout.

joosttx
12-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Diagnosis via the internet is a bad idea. However, I think it means you are tired.

charliedid
12-30-2018, 09:21 PM

Yes, even more in the winter. Some of the best sleep.

AngryScientist
12-30-2018, 09:28 PM
sounds pretty normal to be tired following intense physical activity.

side note:

i remember reading an interview with a pro racer, i forget who exactly, but what always stuck with me is this young guy revealing that pro racers value sleep a ton. the guy goes on to say that most of the pros sneak in naps all the time. they feel they have to "sneak" them in because the general population think that you are lazy if you nap, but realistically, sleep is an essential part of a serious training regiment.

anyway, generally speaking, barring unusual circumstances, it's best to listen to your body and rest when your body tells you to. i would say, following a 10k, if you feel like you want to sleep - that;s OK :)

cash05458
12-30-2018, 10:38 PM
I remember reading an interview with the wife of a pro cyclist...asked to describe taking care of her husband she likened it to taking care of a baby...eat, work out/play, sleep...repeat ad infinitum.

Tandem Rider
12-30-2018, 11:47 PM
Pro's understand that the human body doesn't get stronger because of an intense workout. It gets stronger when it recovers from an intense workout.

SlowPokePete
12-31-2018, 04:25 AM
...eat, work out/play, sleep...repeat ad infinitum.

I'm no pro, but that's pretty much my regimen,

SPP

nooneline
12-31-2018, 08:26 AM
In the first 30 mins of sleep, the body releases its largest amount of human growth hormone - which obviously stimulates recovery. Sleep is vital to recovery, and taking naps after workouts is a good way to boost your ability to recovery. When I'm training hard I try to plan post-wko naps, especially if I'm in a build or peak - and just about every other elite or ft athlete i know does the same.

C40_guy
12-31-2018, 09:46 AM

Same here.

Do you dream about tacos?

Blue Jays
12-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Return from a hard ride, nice shower, get into old sweatpants/sweatshirt for a two-hour nap...life is good!

Louis
12-31-2018, 09:53 AM
It's usually the heat that really does me in. Once a few years ago I was so beat I couldn't do my usual "meal & shower" routine, and instead I just drank some water, grabbed a sheet from the dirty-clothes hamper, spread it out on the carpet by my bed, grabbed some other dirty clothes and wadded them together for a pillow and passed out for a few hours. It was amazing how comfy that hard carpet felt...

ultraman6970
12-31-2018, 10:43 AM
Dude getting old?

ColnagoC59
12-31-2018, 11:19 AM
Dude getting old?

getting even older each day

soulspinner
12-31-2018, 12:19 PM
After every long ride I eat and stay warm and inevitably fall asleep …………….

bikinchris
12-31-2018, 01:45 PM
sounds pretty normal to be tired following intense physical activity.

side note:

i remember reading an interview with a pro racer, i forget who exactly, but what always stuck with me is this young guy revealing that pro racers value sleep a ton. the guy goes on to say that most of the pros sneak in naps all the time. they feel they have to "sneak" them in because the general population think that you are lazy if you nap, but realistically, sleep is an essential part of a serious training regiment.

anyway, generally speaking, barring unusual circumstances, it's best to listen to your body and rest when your body tells you to. i would say, following a 10k, if you feel like you want to sleep - that;s OK :)

Your body can ONLY get stronger during the recovery phase. You stress your body and the bodies response is to rebuild damaged muscle cells stronger. If it can.
Rest is good. Never stand when you can sit. Never sit if you can lay down. Sleep is preferred. Work out hard when you are ready, then refuel and rest.
These tenets are the hardest for junior racers to understand. If one hard day of training is good, then 30 has to be better, right? Not if you don't rest.

bikinchris
12-31-2018, 01:52 PM
Pro's understand that the human body doesn't get stronger because of an intense workout. It gets stronger when it recovers from an intense workout.

Oops. I answered and then saw your response.

ChainNoise
12-31-2018, 02:28 PM
I surely hope being tired is the right response after a hard worker cause I get sleepy as **** every time! :banana:

shinomaster
12-31-2018, 02:31 PM
After a cross race I could barely function. Exercise is tiring.

verbs4us
12-31-2018, 05:09 PM
"You didn't over train--you under-rested."

Coach scolding my young cycling self, following an injury after three straight days of fartlek. Weren't we all immortal at age 22?