PDA

View Full Version : Driver Receives $50 Fine in Cyclist's Death

nickl
12-29-2018, 10:58 PM
A Delaware man who pleaded no contest to inattentive driving in conjunction with bicyclists death receives a $50 fine and 50 hours of community service.

Considering the circumstances this is less than a slap on the wrist.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2018/12/27/50-fine-man-who-pleads-no-contest-crash-kills-wboc-owner-thomas-draper/2424908002/

BobO
12-29-2018, 11:19 PM
What does inattentive mean in this case?

ultraman6970
12-29-2018, 11:50 PM
Looking at the stars?

Veloo
12-30-2018, 01:34 AM
$50, 50 hours and
"The Draper family was consulted regarding the plea, and are supportive of the resolution."

??????

zap
12-30-2018, 05:23 AM
Not much of an incentive to change behavior.

At the very least, loss of driving privileges for one year should be mandatory.

Not a mile driven goes by that I don't see at least one motorist practice the fine art of inattentive motoring.

soulspinner
12-30-2018, 06:28 AM
Wow

buddybikes
12-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Our lives don't matter, is there any indication they do?

Gummee
12-30-2018, 08:01 AM
What you're seeing is a case of 'I can see myself doing that...'

M

oldpotatoe
12-30-2018, 08:08 AM
Hopefully the victim's family has a good lawyer and proceed with a civil suit that makes the driver hurt...The lady that hit me(from behind, at 10:30 AM) got a bigger slap than this guy did..

My civil suit took 3 years..:eek:..she 'fell asleep', while driving...:eek:again.

Black Dog
12-30-2018, 08:08 AM
It’s not that our lives don’t matter. It is that Driving has become a huge cultural entitlement in North America. So much so that there is almost no responsibility or accountability required. The laws are written so as to support this and our delusional attitude that “accidents” happen and there is nothing we can do about it is deadly. Add poor driver training and weak enforcement of existing laws and you get this. Strong evidence and body counts are not enough to effect change yet. Now we have a society addicted to devices. Great times.

Other places on earth have laws that make drivers completely responsible for anything that happens while they are operating their vehicles. The burden is on them to prove that they were not at fault. Coupled with serious consequences this makes for safer roads for all road users. True accidents are very rare, collisions are not.

buddybikes
12-30-2018, 08:22 AM
...in other words our lives don't matter - commerce and entertainment (distractions) do.

Black Dog
12-30-2018, 08:28 AM
...in other words our lives don't matter - commerce and entertainment (distractions) do.

The lives of drivers just matter a lot more. :(

Louis
12-30-2018, 08:39 AM
It probably wouldn't be too hard to prove statistically that the law treats minorities much differently from the majority. In this case cyclists are a definite minority. I wonder how things would have worked out if the victim had been an attractive 25-yr old white female who was out for a jog?

William
12-30-2018, 08:40 AM
It probably wouldn't be too hard to prove statistically that the law treats minorities much differently from the majority. In this case cyclists are a definite minority. I wonder how things would have worked out if the victim had been an attractive 25-yr old white female who was out for a jog?

Well, if she wasn't on a bike...probably better.

Wiliam

OtayBW
12-30-2018, 08:46 AM
Not much of an incentive to change behavior.

At the very least, loss of driving privileges for one year should be mandatory.

Not a mile driven goes by that I don't see at least one motorist practice the fine art of inattentive motoring.
From the article:Draper was riding his bike eastbound on Slaughter Beach Road in Milford on Sept. 7, 2017, when he was struck by Armstrong's 2013 Ford F-150 pickup. Armstrong also had been eastbound on Slaughter Beach Road.
Sounds like the driver just drifted and plowed the cyclist over. I'm inferring that there was no 'distracted' driving involved. Whatever the case, I agree that it seems clear there is little incentive to change behavior or suitably educate the public. Shame on them...

Ozz
12-30-2018, 10:59 AM
$50, 50 hours and
"The Draper family was consulted regarding the plea, and are supportive of the resolution."

??????
That the driver was found guilty/plead guilty of the traffic infraction, probably sets up the Wrongful Death lawsuit by the family pretty nicely....

The traffic laws are written poorly, so remedy needs to be found in civil court.

I am sure an attorney could have an informed opinion on this....

bigbill
12-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Sounds like there is more to this than is in the article. I remember a man being struck from behind and killed on a group ride but his actions contributed to the collision as well. Basically a wheel touch and he swerved out into the lane as a car was passing. Sounds like this cyclist was riding alone but we don't know situation.

BobO
12-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Sounds like there is more to this than is in the article. I remember a man being struck from behind and killed on a group ride but his actions contributed to the collision as well. Basically a wheel touch and he swerved out into the lane as a car was passing. Sounds like this cyclist was riding alone but we don't know situation.

That's my thought. The family may be keeping the facts close to the vest to not damage the civil case.

buddybikes
12-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Upon basic research, Slaughter Beach Road in Milford - faces east (direction of both), accident happened at 7:35AM, perhaps morning glare contributed to the accident.

nickl
12-30-2018, 07:50 PM
That's my thought. The family may be keeping the facts close to the vest to not damage the civil case.

Highly speculative and almost anything is possible, but inattentive driving typically indicates vehicle operator error. In most instances drivers are not charged when the rider has slightest culpability. That’s reality.