PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Merlin shipping

Veloo
12-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Looks like shipping costs have gone up at Merlin and they're using UPS now. At least for Canadian orders.

Prices now starting at $26. Used to be around $9 and they'd use some service that ended up exchanging hands with Canada Post.

Black Dog
12-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Looks like shipping costs have gone up at Merlin and they're using UPS now. At least for Canadian orders.

Prices now starting at $26. Used to be around $9 and they'd use some service that ended up exchanging hands with Canada Post.

UPS = bad news because they charge ridiculous "brokerage" fees on top of the shipping costs. I steer very for away from UPS for international shipping for this reason.

adub
12-29-2018, 09:29 AM
I hope they wise up and go back to regular mail, at least as an option.

Why do businesses choose to ship only with courier to international orders? Wonder if they get a kick-back or something?

ultraman6970
12-29-2018, 09:44 AM
THe last time I used merlin they used usps but the package came with a label from a guy in miami as a sender (if I recall correctly), I imagine their way to make the things cheaper and a way to control the boxes arent going to be lost?

I imagine the ups change is to be sure the box gets to destination? I do not see why things would get lost using royal mail uk and canada but sometimes scanning the stuff isnt perfect with regular mail and stuff happens. As a seller imagine that 1% of the sales goes to lost stuff, in their case is a lot of money.

GonaSovereign
12-29-2018, 04:47 PM
I placed a couple Merlin orders recently, and was pretty unhappy with the UPS-only shipping option. UPS is, in a word, sh@t. The brokerage fee is a violation. I make a point of always asking them to explain what added value they have provided over USPS/Canada Post. They've yet to come up with an answer.

AngryScientist
12-29-2018, 05:00 PM
must be a canada thing.

i just ordered a set of tires and got free shipping from merlin.

Shipping Method: USPS 5 Day - Via Norsk Global

FlashUNC
12-29-2018, 05:15 PM
I placed a couple Merlin orders recently, and was pretty unhappy with the UPS-only shipping option. UPS is, in a word, sh@t. The brokerage fee is a violation. I make a point of always asking them to explain what added value they have provided over USPS/Canada Post. They've yet to come up with an answer.

If only there we're local bike shops or US online retailers to buy from, but that's crazy talk.

duff_duffy
12-29-2018, 05:35 PM
I think the buyer gets hit with brokerage fees upon delivery by the carrier even though it shows free shipping. Got hit on an eBay order a few years ago. Been a while since did this though.

must be a canada thing.

i just ordered a set of tires and got free shipping from merlin.

dancinkozmo
12-29-2018, 05:55 PM
merlin started this during the recent canada post strike...dont know if thats coincidence or not

peanutgallery
12-29-2018, 07:07 PM
If you order stuff from England, why shouldn't you pay shipping and a brokerage fee?

It's a race to the bottom...and guess what? Eventually, you get there

adub
12-29-2018, 08:58 PM
If you order stuff from England, why shouldn't you pay shipping and a brokerage fee?

I don't think you read the thread..

peanutgallery
12-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Oh, I read the thread

If you get something for nothing, that will eventually end. Economics

I don't think you read the thread..

Black Dog
12-29-2018, 09:35 PM

Happy to pay for shipping. The brokerage fee is simply a rip off. Few shippers charge it and even ups does not if you use their more expensive shipping options. There is little to no cost to broker the goods. It is all done electronically.

peanutgallery
12-29-2018, 09:54 PM
I will disagree. Importing comes with a fee

Happy to pay for shipping. The brokerage fee is simply a rip off. Few shippers charge it and even ups does not if you use their more expensive shipping options. There is little to no cost to broker the goods. It is all done electronically.

jemoryl
12-29-2018, 11:01 PM
I will disagree. Importing comes with a fee

B.S. It is pure profit for UPS and a ripoff.

Veloo
12-30-2018, 12:25 AM
I just emailed Merlin to ask if this will be a permanent change. Didn't come to mind that it was in response to the strike. Don't know if I got an email but I've been quick to delete them lately.

I'd also agree with Black Dog about little to no work for brokers just cuz at work, when I ship anything, I provide pretty much every single piece of info they will need - UPS, FedEx, DHL, KN etc. HS codes, COO, part number, importer of record, IOR address, you name it. And yet somehow, time and time again they still lose the commercial invoice. Of course they claim it's us that didn't include it but I'd say it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to ship without putting that invoice on the box. If anyone can enlighten me on what a broker does when it seems I've provided everything up front, I'm open to being educated.

merlin started this during the recent canada post strike...dont know if thats coincidence or not

peanutgallery
12-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Good, in this case they actually deserve it. You ca always buy domestic or local

B.S. It is pure profit for UPS and a ripoff.

pobrien
12-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Changes to Merlin shipping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prices now starting at $26. Used to be around $9 and they'd use some service that ended up exchanging hands with Canada Post. I have just started using a US postal service across the border in Point Roberts for packages from the us to avoid the really excessive shipping costs that we have endured for what seems a long time.

It is all above board, I tell the US border officers what I am going to the US for and ditto to Canada agents on the way back. I pay some tax but am very happy to use this service. It takes about 45 minutes one way so not bad.

I see a lot of these services in Point Roberts. It looks like most people are working there as the town is smallish.

dancinkozmo
12-30-2018, 10:31 AM
i put an ultegra 8000 groupset in my cart and shipping changed to "ups international 2-4 days FREE"
so i guess its free shipping if you spend above a certain amount

dancinkozmo
12-30-2018, 10:33 AM
Changes to Merlin shipping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[B]have just started using a US postal service across the border in Point Roberts for packages from the us to avoid the really excessive shipping costs that we have endured for what seems a long time.

It is all above board, I tell the US border officers what I am going to the US for and ditto to Canada agents on the way back. I pay some tax but am very happy to use this service. It takes about 45 minutes one way so not bad.

I see a lot of these services in Point Roberts. It looks like most people are working there as the town is smallish.

similar outfits in buffalo/niagara falls ny...totally legit