PDA

View Full Version : I almost got killed on the bike yesterday

weisan
12-29-2018, 07:09 AM
This is the first time I have ever gotten that close to getting killed on the bike. Still processing this in my head. Haven't told anyone.

Was riding along my regular route out in the country. Quiet roads, very few cars, clear line of sight, essentially as safe as it gets when it comes to road riding.

Had a tail wind behind me, going at a fairly good clip around 23-24mph. Straight ahead, saw an old red Chevy truck coming towards me from about 80 meters and noticed that it was too much over my side of the road and coming fast. I waved and gestured, signaling to him of my presence and him being off course. No reaction. The distance between us is coming down fast because of both of our speed. At about 20-30 meters, I realized we are on a direct collision path. I panicked and yelled, adrenalin building up, getting closer and closer, for some reason decided to start steering to the left thinking will just let him pass by on my side of the road. Suddenly, he started making a move back to the left and we are talking probably 10 meters or less, I mean I can see the freakin' front grill of the truck right in front of me, we gotta be a lot closer than that. By instinct, I made a last-minute course correction back to the right, I mean it's more like a sudden jerk on the handlebar than actual steering. And here's the part where it gets weird. In a flash, I can hear braking and a sudden swosh of wind, and it's as if the truck had just drove "through" me, not past me. Yes, I said "through"...you know like in the movies when a ghost or a spirit goes through a human being.

the next thing I know, that truck is behind me, I knew it had slowed down, probably to check on its rear view mirror whether I am still alive. I didn't even look back, still have residual speed left on my bike about 15 mph, just let it keep on rolling, I didn't stop. I was still in shock. I actually started touching myself physically to make sure I am existentially still alive....because to tell you the truth, I didn't believe it. In that spur of the moment when I can see the front grill in front of me, I was already mentally committed to a full on impact and the resultant death.

I couldn't tell you how close we got to each other because it happened so fast, and it seems like my brain wasn't able to recall or process those last final moments, maybe it didn't want to because of the horrid nature, it blocks out that detail.

I was shaken up obviously but I tried to collect myself and focus back on the ride because I still have about 8-10 miles before I get back to my car. I don't want anything to happen to me between that time and distance. I waved at every car and all of them gave me a wider than usual berth as if they knew I had just gone through a traumatic experience...

Blown Reek
12-29-2018, 07:15 AM
Close calls suck. Glad you're alive.

VTCaraco
12-29-2018, 07:24 AM
Glad you're able to write this...even if it's hard to process all that transpired.

pinkshogun
12-29-2018, 07:27 AM
many of us are mountain biking as way of keeping away from cars. give it a try. gravel terrain is great too

soulspinner
12-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Know the whoosh of a near miss. Glad you werent hurt. Keep the rubber down..a person without your miles of experience on a bike probably would have crashed.

Tickdoc
12-29-2018, 07:44 AM
Yeesh that sounds deliberate from your writing. Glad you are safe.

You usually ride with a camera, do you not? No video?

Had a near miss this year that was a big whoosh. Caught the driver at the red light and banged on her window where she just looked at me, scared like “what do you want?” While still on her phone.

merlinmurph
12-29-2018, 07:51 AM
Wow, that's downright scary. I would have had to clean my shorts after that. Glad you're OK.

Be careful out there,
Murph

thwart
12-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Close calls suck. Glad you're alive.

This.

If your wife finds out about it, good chance she'll insist you ride MTB, trails... something that involves less risk of severe injury or death.

Ask me how I know.

pobrien
12-29-2018, 08:00 AM
I am glad that you are okay weisan. Sounds like you do everything reasonably possible to have a safe ride, drive to a safe place and follow the rules of the road to get home safely.

You might have felt the turbulence from the back end of the car as it sounds like it was centimeters from you as it went by. I felt the slipstream of air from a semi when I was a kid and from a truck in Alberta that passed another truck on the shoulder where I was riding. very unsettling experiences.

As another posted, you ride with cameras front and back? I do that, as much for the Police in case things go bad.

Take care and keep doing all the right things you are doing.

Bentley
12-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Clearly the driver was distracted, but you don’t mention much about the driver, texting, talking on the phone, distracted with kids/passenger.

I ask because I always try to make eye contact, just asking?

Glad you are OK

Ray

William
12-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Close call for sure, glad you are okay Weisan-pal!

I had a similar experience a few years ago on an early morning ride. In my case the person was trying to text while driving, drifted across the line into my lane forcing me off the road. They just kept driving along. Shifted to a lot more off-road after that one. Too many stupid people on the road who try but aren't capable (and shouldn't be trying) of multitasking.

Stay safe out there.

William

giverdada
12-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Really glad you're okay. Super scary. Sounds like near-death for sure. Whoosh-ing is terrifying. MTB is a fine thing, but trees move less than cars and hurt as much. Then there's always the oncoming rider situation... Maybe the track is the best place to be as everyone's going in the same direction? No brakes, no mistakes...

kylecycler
12-29-2018, 08:13 AM
Could have been worse...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6535079/Terrifying-moment-control-van-smashes-head-familys-car.html

That's a testament to modern cars' safety - years and years of development (remember Ralph Nader and the ridiculous resistance he'd to fight against (and Jackie Stewart in motorsport)?) - but all you've got on a bicycle is your maneuverability, your survival instinct and your experience. Glad you're safe, bud - well done - you did what you did and you survived.

zambenini
12-29-2018, 08:17 AM
Grateful you are safe. I have had a few of those instances where it seemed like some one upstairs was looking out for me. Every day is a gift.

yarg
First off, Weisan pal, glad you made it out of that jam. May close calls like that be few or never. But I have to ask why would you ever steer left, I would steer off the the road to the right almost no matter what.

biker72
I wonder if this is the same old red Chevy truck that almost hit me a few years ago in Longview TX. Old guy..about 70..:) ran a police officer controlled intersection at a rally. Missed me by a fraction of an inch.

572cv
12-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Thanks for posting your experience, reminding us all to keep our wits about us. More thanks for missing. Even more, for your family's good fortune. At the same time, don't do that again! :eek:

Burnette
12-29-2018, 08:39 AM
First off, Weisan pal, glad you made it out of that jam. May close calls like that be few or never. But I have to ask why would you ever steer left, I would steer off the the road to the right almost no matter what.

"But I have to ask why would you ever steer left, I would steer off the the road to the right almost no matter what."

I thought the very same thing when I read the OP. IMO, when cycling we have that adrenalin flowing, our cadence on point, that mph pegged, we're super focused on pushing forward. I learned long ago on the road to uncouple from the cadence/mph average fog when a vehicle shows potential danger signs.

Speed be damned, as soon as the truck went over the line I would slow, closer again and I look to the right for an escape, can I go off the right shoulder?

I learned this the hard way in small city riding. Vehicles leaving restaurant/store/gas station will stop at the exit of those, look you dead in the eye and pull out as soon as you get there. I always slow, sit up with hands on the brake levers, then hunker back down and ride when clear.

I think we have the potential to get lost in the moment of a ride when we should in reality be aware and ready to shut it down quick even at the slightest provocation.

tigoat
12-29-2018, 08:44 AM
What's up with these pickup drivers? Almost 9 out of 10 my/our riding incident encounters are with trucks. Do they have some type of tough guy mentality out on the road? A couple of years ago I actually had an incident with a car deliberately swirl over to my land presumably just to scare me. Glad to hear that nothing happened in this incident.

Black Dog
12-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Close call for sure, glad you are okay Weisan-pal!

I had a similar experience a few years ago on an early morning ride. In my case the person was trying to text while driving, drifted across the line into my lane forcing me off the road. They just kept driving along. Shifted to a lot more off-road after that one. Too many stupid people on the road who try but aren't capable (and shouldn't be trying) of multitasking.

Stay safe out there.

William

To be clear, all the research shows that non of us are capable of multitasking and doing everything well, especially when driving. Thinking you can is like the drunk guy thinking he can drive "just fine with a few drinks on board". Not sure if you meant to imply that some people are capable. Doubt that you did, and I know that you are not advocating distracted driving.

Black Dog
12-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Pal,

Glad you are unhurt. The shock will take longer to dissipate and give yourself time to get back to normal. Events like this can be traumatic and talking about them helps. I have a had a few very close calls and, like you, in those moments I was thinking that it was game over for me. Give yourself time and space to process it all and stay positive (you should have no problem with this part) and take away anything and everything you can from the experience to make you a better rider and person.

Black Dog
12-29-2018, 09:04 AM
"But I have to ask why would you ever steer left, I would steer off the the road to the right almost no matter what."

I thought the very same thing when I read the OP. IMO, when cycling we have that adrenalin flowing, our cadence on point, that mph pegged, we're super focused on pushing forward. I learned long ago on the road to uncouple from the cadence/mph average fog when a vehicle shows potential danger signs.

Speed be damned, as soon as the truck went over the line I would slow, closer again and I look to the right for an escape, can I go off the right shoulder?

I learned this the hard way in small city riding. Vehicles leaving restaurant/store/gas station will stop at the exit of those, look you dead in the eye and pull out as soon as you get there. I always slow, sit up with hands on the brake levers, then hunker back down and ride when clear.

I think we have the potential to get lost in the moment of a ride when we should in reality be aware and ready to shut it down quick even at the slightest provocation.

There seems to be a bit of harsh judgement here and some assumptions. 1st off, he clearly was not focused on riding hard considering that he was waving at the driver. Second, to veer right or left? Well it is not always clear cut. If a vehicle is on a path that will cut off your escape to the right then to veer left is the only option that will give you a chance to escape. Also, there has to be an escape path to the right in the 1st place. These are split second heuristic decisions and ridged responses are not always the best in a fluid and rapid situation.

Seramount
12-29-2018, 09:25 AM
hey, wei...glad you're ok.

I know you're not a fan of riding in-town, but it seems like the rural county roads aren't any safer. there's distracted, oblivious, incompetent drivers everywhere.

I was out on xmas day, traffic was as sparse as it ever gets, and almost got vaporized by a moron who blew thru a yield sign at 40 mph...person never looked to the left to see if it was clear to enter the lane.

unless one avoids paved roads altogether, not sure what the solution is...you ride alert, use lights, hi-vis colors, etc but can still get taken out.

after my hit/run incident, once I resumed riding, it took me well over a month to feel even remotely comfortable in traffic. during that period, I gave some serious thought to giving up riding, but eventually got my confidence back.

take some time and sort thru your priorities. if you decide riding paved roads isn't worth it, you have options...

Tony
12-29-2018, 09:29 AM
In the blink of an eye everything can change. Gratitude to that force that pulled you back to safe harbor from that close call my friend. You're alive Weisan, praise that fact and don't live in fear. Scary, glad your ok.

Burnette
12-29-2018, 09:39 AM
There seems to be a bit of harsh judgement here and some assumptions. 1st off, he clearly was not focused on riding hard considering that he was waving at the driver. Second, to veer right or left? Well it is not always clear cut. If a vehicle is on a path that will cut off your escape to the right then to veer left is the only option that will give you a chance to escape. Also, there has to be an escape path to the right in the 1st place. These are split second heuristic decisions and ridged responses are not always the best in a fluid and rapid situation.

We're cyclists and as such we share a common danger. These types of threads are all to frequent and the best we can do is try and learn something from them to use in our own riding.

By the OP's own account he had some time at the first inclination that the truck was entering his lane.

It is no harsh judgment on my part, it's from a sympathetic viewpoint that i shared that we can get lost in the push and it's better to prepare for danger immediately than wait for it to play out.

5oakterrace
12-29-2018, 09:50 AM
Took my breath away to read this. Glad you are ok. A wake-up call to those of us who get lured into thinking that less travelled roads are 'safe.' No place is safe.

roguedog
12-29-2018, 09:55 AM
+1 nicely said tony.

Wei-pal, glad you're ok and with us. Take time as everyone says and see what's right for you.

For what it's worth..had similar experience but in a car. Narrow mountain road. Drop off to the right. Big ole motorhome coming at me. Still do not quite know how we both fit and I have no recollection of us passing each other.

weisan
12-29-2018, 09:56 AM
Thank you everyone for your genuine concern and advice.

I am sitting here because my regular group ride this morning got canceled because of the weather, I didn't know about it until I drove out to the start point. It was bone cold and windy so I am definitely not complaining. In fact, I almost wimped out of the ride but decided I will do the Maverick-Top Gun thing after the death of his co-pilot /accident he was not himself and the commander insisted on sending him up in the cockpit to help him recover from the trauma. And to aid my recovery even quicker, I tried to get back on my normal routine :

Post-trauma Speedy Recovery (PTSR) tactic #1:
I went and bought another bike last night. It's a Serotta Fierte 56cm with ebay discount came up to $600 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352530160104?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://alicehui.com/bike/serotta/fierte2.jpg

PTSR tactic #2:
After a 6-month break, I am back on the stand building wheels again this morning. The reason for the long delay is because I was flushed with wheels for a while but with the recent acquisition of several bikes, I am in need of 2 or 3 more pairs of wide rim wheelset.
http://alicehui.com/bike/wheel/IMG_1659.jpg

Ok joking side...I know I will need some time and space to process this and recover. Thank you y'all. This helps a lot.

Why did i go left instead of right?

I dunno, hard to say.

Like black pal said, it was a split second gut reaction, has nothing to do with maintaining speed or stay in the zone. If I go back and analyze, I say it's because I knew at that speed I will crash almost immediately into the ditch on the right and by going left, I can create a much bigger gap/space between myself and the truck which increases the margin of error for both of us.

:p

weisan
12-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Burnette pal, rest assured i didn't take it that way, you are fine. It would take a lot more than that to offend me. And now that I was given a second chance, should I take offense over something so small??

As an expression of gratitude, I am seriously considering opening the doors to my barn and let y'all take your pick at whichever bike you want....

http://alicehui.com/bike/garage/IMG_1236.jpg

Yeah right....fat hope!
:rolleyes::p

Burnette
12-29-2018, 10:07 AM

I am sitting here because my regular group ride this morning got canceled because of the weather, I didn't know about it until I drove out to the start point. It was bone cold and windy so I am definitely not complaining. In fact, I almost wimped out of the ride but decided I will do the Maverick-Top Gun thing after the death of his co-pilot /accident he was not himself and the commander insisted on sending him up in the cockpit to help him recover from the trauma. And to aid my recovery even quicker, I tried to get back on my normal routine :

I went and bought another bike last night. It's a Serotta Fierte 56cm with ebay discount came up to $600 shipped.

http://alicehui.com/bike/serotta/IMG_1661.jpg

PTSR tactic #2:
After a 6-month break, I am back on the stand building wheels again this morning. The reason for the long delay is because I was flushed with wheels for a while but with the recent acquisition of several bikes, I am in need of 2 or 3 more pairs of wide rim wheelset.

Ok joking side...I know I will need some time and space to process this and recover. Thank you y'all. This helps a lot.

I dunno, hard to say.

Like black pal said, it was a split second gut reaction, has nothing to do with maintaining speed or stay in the zone. If I go back and analyze, [B]I say it's because I knew at that speed I will crash almost immediately into the ditch on the right and by going left, I can create a much bigger gap/space between myself and the truck which increases the margin of error for both of us.[/B

If you couldn't go right and off the road because you would crash then you had no other option, of course. The cruel part of it is that had the driver had not zinged when you zanged this could have been a rougher thread.

By buying another bike it would seem you will recover well. Be safe, as possible and enjoy that Serrota, it looks awesome.

justinrchan
12-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Glad to hear you are okay.

That is a nice garage set-up! What do you have in your arsenal?

weisan
12-29-2018, 10:11 AM
What do you have in your arsenal?

Opportunist.

I like your style, Justin pal.

Nah, nuthin' worthy of your consideration really, couple of broken and damaged bikes.

Hellgate
12-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Yikes! Glad you're okay.

What road were you on? Sounds crazy, but I ride 360, 620, Parmer/ Ronald Regan regularly and seldom have any problems. I have a theory that the great number of cyclists are on a road, or more frequently, the fewer problems there are as drivers are used to seeing them. Whereas out in the middle of no where a cyclist is an anomaly.

As a note, I've been hit three times over the years, each time while in a bike lane... Once a left turning car, once from behind by a drunk, and head on by a car passing on a double yellow line.

XXtwindad
12-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Yikes! Glad you're okay.

What road were you on? Sounds crazy, but I ride 360, 620, Parmer/ Ronald Regan regularly and seldom have any problems. I have a theory that the great number of cyclists are on a road, or more frequently, the fewer problems there are as drivers are used to seeing them. Whereas out in the middle of no where a cyclist is an anomaly.

As a note, I've been hit three times over the years, each time while in a bike lane... Once a left turning car, once from behind by a drunk, and head on by a car passing on a double yellow line.

You must be made of very strong stuff, Pete. That post scares the sh*t out of me...

Bruce K
12-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Weismann - glad you areOK.

From a different perspective - I spent many years working corners at sports car races. The prevailing wisdom was to wait as long as possible before choosing your escape route to be sure whatever was coming at you did not change direction and cut you off/hit you.

I can easily see where going left might have been the best choice st the time this was all happening.

The end result is weisan is OK so his choices worked.

BK

Hellgate
12-29-2018, 10:33 AM
You must be made of very strong stuff, Pete. That post scares the sh*t out of me...Apparently rubber at the time. No broken bones either.

The drunk from behind was the worst, over the hood, hit the wind shield, over the car to the bike lane. No helmet either. That was fall of 1983. We only wore hairnets for races. For training we wore Vuarnets.

I had a Miyata 710, with Nuveau Record and Fiamme Red Labels that was pretty beat up. I ordered a Pro Miyata to replace it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181229/78d972f9448e3af653ead8d3d042803b.jpg

NHAero
12-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Really glad you escaped unscathed. Can happen to any of us.

dbnm
12-29-2018, 11:25 AM
First, very glad you're okay.

Second, if my garage looked like yours, I wouldnt be worried about trucks and distracted drivers. My wife would kill me herself.

jpritchet74
12-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Whoa. That terrifying!

Stay safe out there!

madsciencenow
12-29-2018, 11:53 AM
First, very glad you're okay.

Second, if my garage looked like yours, I wouldnt be worried about trucks and distracted drivers. My wife would kill me herself.

For sure good to hear you escaped unscathed and +1 for death by wife if my garage had that number of rigs in it. Holy crap! I’m gonna save that pic for the next time I need an “at least it isn’t/doesn’t” line!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paredown
12-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Weisan pal--glad you are OK.

Not quite the same, but I recently tried to turn left around a charging deer while driving, thinking that he would break right when he spotted me--he kept on straight without breaking stride. Clipped him with the passenger corner/front although I had locked it up at the same time so it wasn't a full blow. Still almost lost the truck--teetering on a write-off. (I reminded them that I had just done the full timing belt/WP/belts and radiator, and it was a Toyota and good for another 100k.)

If I had realized/guessed he was not going to change direction I could have made it around behind him, but I guessed wrong--it is what happens sometimes in these situations... No harm, no foul--sometimes it is just reflex or luck that pulls us through.

Glad you came home safely!

(Nice snag on the Fierte as well!)

mcteague
12-29-2018, 12:01 PM
What's up with these pickup drivers? Almost 9 out of 10 my/our riding incident encounters are with trucks. Do they have some type of tough guy mentality out on the road? A couple of years ago I actually had an incident with a car deliberately swirl over to my land presumably just to scare me. Glad to hear that nothing happened in this incident.

Yup, I have mentioned previously that big pickups make up the majority of close, or aggressive, calls I have on the bike.

Tim

rollingbarge
12-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Glad you are ok. I enjoy your writing and zest for life you share here.

wooly
12-29-2018, 12:12 PM
Every time I read something like this it reinforces my decision to spend more time on my mountain bike. At least if I get hurt it's my stupidity. Glad you're alright Weisan. Take care and happy new year.

Clean39T
12-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Glad you are ok. I enjoy your writing and zest for life you share here.

+1 to this and all the others...

Hope everyone is safe out there today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

vqdriver
12-29-2018, 12:25 PM
I lack the love of the road of some of y'all. Instances like this around the time i had my second led me back to the trails.

Im super relieved that youre not only alive but seemingly unscathed. Collect youself. Take some comfort in the routine of wheelbuilding.

Hilltopperny
12-29-2018, 12:28 PM
Glad to hear you are ok. I've only had a couple of close calls in recent years, but recall how terrifying it is when they happen.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jad
12-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Wow, scary. Coming face to face with our mortality can be challenging in a variety of ways; take it easy.
And have fun with the Fierte!

AJosiahK
12-29-2018, 12:58 PM
Glad you were able to get back safely. really.

Hope it scared the driver enough to change their future driving habits.

Occurrences like these are why I like to have front and rear day flashers.

stay safe out there yall, and happy new year !

OtayBW
12-29-2018, 01:14 PM
Glad you are OK Weisan.
Interesting - and a sad state of affairs, I think - that a pretty significant group of cyclists who have spent perhaps decades road riding are expressing increasing concern about doing just that, or are considering dropping out altogether. I'm not there yet, but the concern grows all the time, especially on solo rides.

R3awak3n
12-29-2018, 01:21 PM
glad you are ok!

I was just thinking about this today as I took a road I don't really like to take. But makes the ride easier and its a couple of miles. I now have one of those garmin radars and they are a game changer to me, when there is a car behind me I go in as much as I can go, sometimes even hit the gravel because some cars just don't want to give you space. But its good to know there is a car behind.

bikinchris
12-29-2018, 01:29 PM

No...just no. If you veer left into the oncoming lane and the other driver veers back to the right, now YOU are going to be at fault. Better to take the ditch and even a deep ditch and even get a broken collar bone instead of a head on collision.

The time to think of these things is not while staring at a grill, but before time so you have an idea of the dangers instead of trying to make decisions while panicking.

weisan
12-29-2018, 01:51 PM
I am sitting here waiting for a technician to replace the battery on my iPhone 7+.
I went for a 2-hr bike ride and came back, then they told me there's been water damage on my phone and they can't perform the battery replacement per Apple policy. After going back and forth for a bit, they finally agreed to go ahead with the battery replacement if I would absolve them from any responsibility and pay an additional $20 on top of the $29 that Apple offered for their Battery replacement program. (sigh)....whatever.

now back to our discussion here and in response to a few questions that got raised.

1) did I see what the driver was doing?

that's an interesting question, normally I would think my special ops Jason Bourne sixth sense would pick up every little details of my surroundings but in this case, I can't even recall seeing anyone behind the wheels....hmm....maybe it's a ghost ship. :eek::help:

Nah...probably I was too focused on survival and formulating an escape plan rather than trying to make out what was with the driver.

2) moving over to gravel and trail riding

I am not there yet. This year I have done a lot more gravel rides than I thought I would, and this is coming from a self-confessed non-groader. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217537) As it turns out, I actually really enjoyed the peacefulness and the remoteness of gravel riding. The only part I don't like is having to drive 90 minutes or more to get to the nearest gravel destinations.

deep down at my core, I am a roadie at heart and I think it will stay that way for a while

3) "if I have a garage like yours, my wife will kill me herself"

how do you know my wife haven't tried? I have survived several failed assassination attempts.....once again my previous special ops Jason Bourne sixth sense have come into good use. We moved to new house about five years ago and it has this neat little "third car" garage space that is tucked away in the corner. I have strategically placed our outside fridge in between the door and the garage together with other junk, so the view is mostly blocked. you know what they say, out of sight, out of mind. After so many failed attempts, my wife finally recognized that resistance is futile, and she said to me, "I don't want to know and I don't want to see..." Fair enough, I am happy to comply to her request.

4)

Matthew
Glad you are ok buddy. Nice score on the Serotta too! Take some time to get your bearings and ride when comfortable. Nice garage too. If your local shop happens to close you could open one from your house!!! Matthew

OtayBW
No...just no. If you veer left into the oncoming lane and the other driver veers back to the right, now YOU are going to be at fault. Better to take the ditch and even a deep ditch and even get a broken collar bone instead of a head on collision.

The time to think of these things is not while staring at a grill, but before time so you have an idea of the dangers instead of trying to make decisions while panicking.
Not passing judgement, but 'why go left?' was also my first thought even before I finished reading the post. You don't know who might have been behind the driver or whatever recovery he might have done. For me personally, I am constantly thinking about bail-out points to the right as I ride along. We all like to think that we'd react in the best possible way, but in the heat of the moment, who knows?

Matthew
12-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Roadie at heart here too. As much as I "try" to get out on the trails more I just don't and always reach for the road bike. Can't get myself to do the gravel thing either.

weisan
12-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Chris made some good points.

Live and learn.

I ask myself this, if I am in the same position again, what would I do?

I think I would try to bring the bike to a complete halt on the side of the road as quickly and safely as I could, and let the truck pass.

I really didn't expect the truck to barrel down on me like that. But I broke my own rule of thumb - assume every driver is a dumb ass and respond accordingly.

Burnette
12-29-2018, 02:24 PM
Chris made some good points.

Live and learn.

I ask myself this, if I am in the same position again, what would I do?

I think I would try to bring the bike to a complete halt on the side of the road as quickly and safely as I could, and let the truck pass.

I really didn't expect the truck to barrel down on me like that. But I broke my own rule of thumb - assume every driver is a dumb ass and respond accordingly.

Well yeah! What you posted on bold is exactly what I posted earlier. Crap happens, all we can do is try to learn from it.

weisan
12-29-2018, 02:31 PM
this is where it happened...

http://alicehui.com/bike/serotta/map3.jpg

http://alicehui.com/bike/serotta/map2.jpg

Seramount
12-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Hope it scared the driver enough to change their future driving habits.

ha, good one...

AngryScientist
12-29-2018, 02:46 PM
weisan is an old man and has been cycling for a long time.

we can not second guess our instincts in a highly unpredictable, highly stressful split second moment.

i'm glad you are OK pal.

Cloozoe
12-29-2018, 02:58 PM
Add my expression of relief at your escape to everyone else's, Weisan-pal.

warren128
12-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Glad you're okay, Weisan.

commonguy001
12-29-2018, 03:28 PM
Glad you're okay buddy :banana:
Close calls, even those less intense than what you just had happen, do make one pause and think about a lot of things.
Have a great New Years Weisan!!

weisan
12-29-2018, 04:05 PM
do make one pause and think about a lot of things.

I hesitate a bit whether to reveal this ...oh what the heck, can't really separate one from the other and I can't pretend it didn't happen so...here it is.

I was having conversations with the man upstairs earlier in the ride...I can't tell you the details of that conversation but just know that it would be untruthful or disingenuous of me not to see the connection between the two.

Olison3
12-29-2018, 04:14 PM
I'm glad you're OK, Weisan.

sailorboy
12-29-2018, 04:26 PM
In our chosen pastime, I think some kind of close call is inevitable...mine happened on a commute, rainy day this past April, tried to cross trolley tracks oblique to the road direction which of course washes my front wheel out instantly. After I hit the ground and sliding, feel a quick sharp blow to back of my head distinct from hitting the ground. Turned out to be the front wheel of the work truck that was following way too close to me behind. Almost squished my cranium like a grape. About 4 days before getting back on the bike but you just gotta get back out and do it. All the while realize each time you go out, could be the last, it's just how it is. Same could be said for driving your local freeway though, right? Good luck out there to all. That's life.

Hawker
12-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Weisan my friend, so glad you're OK. Stop daydreaming about the bike you're going to build and pay more attention the bike you are riding. :)

More than likely we have all had some close calls like that and some of them we probably aren't even aware of. Life is precious and fleeting.

I've been riding motorcycles for almost 20 yrs. I've had a couple of minor crashes but no real injuries. However, I have become a better rider and cyclist by riding as if I'm invisible. Just assuming that NO ONE can see me. Frankly, I'm conscious of my mortality much more on the motorcycle than when I'm on the bike. Which probably means I'll get taken out on my bike by a grandmother on her cell phone.

joosttx
12-29-2018, 05:13 PM
Buying a new bike after your ordeal makes is so righteous. Glad you are ok.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352530160104?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://alicehui.com/bike/serotta/fierte2.jpg

PTSR tactic #2:

I dunno, hard to say.

Like black pal said, it was a split second gut reaction, has nothing to do with maintaining speed or stay in the zone. If I go back and analyze, I say it's because I knew at that speed I will crash almost immediately into the ditch on the right and by going left, I can create a much bigger gap/space between myself and the truck which increases the margin of error for both of us.

mhespenheide
12-29-2018, 06:08 PM
Weisan-pal, I'm glad you're okay.

YesNdeed
12-29-2018, 06:17 PM
Weisen pal, that’s a well written tale of terror. I don’t what I would have done, but I’m glad you did what you did. ❤️

weisan
12-29-2018, 06:45 PM
weisan is an old man

Only Angry knows who I really am.

https://www.gamersdecide.com/sites/default/files/authors/u140175/theoden_sick.jpg

shinomaster
12-29-2018, 07:35 PM
Wow, who knows what happened. Glad you're ok. I've almost been clobbered on my right side a few times... just waiting for the impact as tires squeal.

Gummee
12-29-2018, 07:47 PM
Roadie at heart here too. As much as I "try" to get out on the trails more I just don't and always reach for the road bike. Can't get myself to do the gravel thing either.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else: riding off-road will make you a better roadie because you need more power to get up the short, steep hills off-road. That includes gravel roads and mtn biking. You also learn bike handling skills that you just don't get riding road.

A good example was the crash at the track in Sandy Eggo where 2 guys that had been going at it all night finally crashed themselves out. ...right in front of and higher up track than I was.

So this pile of bikes and bodies was sliding down track and the only place I had to go was down track with them.

We all got to the apron at the same time and all I had time for was a brief 'on ****, this is going to hurt!' before I rode right over the pile. Didn't have time to do anything but react. Years of riding off-road certainly got me over that one

Riding road makes you a better off-roader. More fitness = less tiredness when you're trying to manoeuvre over rocks and ruts at the end of a ride.

So... TL:DR: ride off-road and become a better all-round cyclist

AFA the OP: I get why you went left. It's the old 'aim where they were because by the time you get there, they should be gone.' I wasn't there so I'm not going to second guess the reaction. I'm just glad you're still here to post

M

Llewellyn
12-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Scary stuff - glad you're OK Weisan. I always ride assuming that every driver around me has the potential to do something really stupid that could endanger my life. It's not guaranteed to prevent everything (sometimes s**t just happens) but it's worked for me so far. And in my experience ute (trucks for you American guys) drivers are about the worst offenders - I swear that they put their single brain cell in the tray of their ute before they open the door.

MattTuck
12-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Just happy that you are ok, weisan!

FlashUNC
12-29-2018, 09:30 PM
Glad you're alright. Spend enough time on the road and we all have a close call sooner or later.

dgauthier
12-30-2018, 02:06 AM
Weisan, I don't know you, but after years of reading this forum and enjoying your charming politeness and easygoing good humor, I feel like I do. I am so completely glad you are okay.

Warmest wishes and Happy New Year to you and your family!

smontanaro
12-30-2018, 07:22 AM
Glad to hear you're ok, Weisan. Nice bit of retail therapy as well. :)

Now that you've told us, have you told Mrs Weisan? I'm really a roadie as well (though I just mounted some old CX tires on a Schwinn Super Sport so I am ready-to-go-gravel). I stopped telling my wife everything a few years ago. Sometimes (as when you're in the ER), it's kind of unavoidable, but I'm not sure I'd tell her about such a close call.

marciero
12-30-2018, 08:04 AM
Scary. Glad you are okay! Whatever corrections you made in the heat of the moment were the right ones in the sense that they resulted in you being unharmed. That is what matters.

weisan
12-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Thank you everyone. Once again, your overwhelming support and kind thoughts is what truly helps me recover from this ordeal, for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

It's been said before and many times by different people, what makes this place special is the Community.

We can have our disagreements and our differences, but when the time comes, when it really matters, we come together as a community to support one another. And we do that because, first and foremost, we remember there's more that unites us than that which divides us.

To answer the question : did I tell the Mrs? Or will I?

No, not yet.

At this point, I don't see the benefit for her or anything positive coming out of doing so.

Maybe at some point in the future, when I retires from cycling...and sitting on a rocking chair on the porch, eating ice cream, admiring the flowers in my garden, and listening to the laughters and the silly quarrels of my grandkids playing in the yard....even then maybe...

simplemind
12-30-2018, 10:17 AM
2) moving over to gravel and trail riding

I am not there yet. This year I have done a lot more gravel rides than I thought I would, and this is coming from a self-confessed non-groader. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217537) As it turns out, I actually really enjoyed the peacefulness and the remoteness of gravel riding. The only part I don't like is having to drive 90 minutes or more to get to the nearest gravel destinations.

deep down at my core, I am a roadie at heart and I think it will stay that way for a while

Jeez Weisan...I need to log in once in a while to find out what's going on! That was traumatic just reading about it. Was it was a sign? Still in denial about groading? I'm guessing you didn't have the VIRB running?

Well, glad you're at least physically ok, let's groad next Saturday! :)

rallizes
12-30-2018, 10:22 AM
No camera this time?

I thought you usually rode with one especially when solo

cinco
12-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Wow! I, too, have close-call stories. Also have stories where I didn't escape calamity. Glad this one ended as well as it did.
Goes to show that you can do everything right, and still not be safe. Have to keep trying, though. Most of the time, whatever you do to protect and prevent actually works.
Feel for you.

Burnette
12-30-2018, 12:02 PM
I have no advice about telling the Mrs, I'll just share that has always been a tough talk for mr and my wife. Her, family and friends all, we have had the talk of, "why do you risk it, it's so dangerous, what would happen if..."

So, my heart goes out to you on this. I get you, I understand, our loved ones don't. They love us and are coming from a good place with their concern. It's always a tough talk.

Tony T
12-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Glad you're ok, weisan

choke
12-30-2018, 12:54 PM
It's good to read that you made it through unscathed Weisan.

djg
12-30-2018, 08:33 PM
I am glad you’re ok.

Sharp relief frame — may you ride it in good health, many safe miles.

Lifecycle
01-01-2019, 06:12 PM
many of us are mountain biking as way of keeping away from cars. give it a try. gravel terrain is great too

+1 on that

To many close calls
Had 2 people I know already get hit and killed
People are driving with their cell phones in their hands And face

Mountain biking is a much better work out anyways

Glad you're OK though I hate hearing stories like that

spiderman
01-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Glad you can tell your wife about it at an opportune time!
I was involved with a head on collision with a car
A few years back on Valentine’s Day while my wife
Was waiting for me as we had dinner reservations...
Packing my dirty laundry in my Salon commuter bag
Probably saved my life...
Hopefully having a story from a pal
Will make it easier to tell your own story too
Spidey

weisan
01-01-2019, 07:36 PM
If y'all would excuse me for a sec, I would like to respond to my pal Spidey whom I have not seen for quite a while.

Yo, Spidey pal!
It's great to hear from you. I almost didn't get the chance to.
I know you been busy. So good to see pictures of you and your wife having fun out in the snow, it's refreshing!

spiderman
01-01-2019, 08:42 PM
If y'all would excuse me for a sec, I would like to respond to my pal Spidey whom I have not seen for quite a while.

Yo, Spidey pal!
It's great to hear from you. I almost didn't get the chance to.
I know you been busy. So good to see pictures of you and your wife having fun out in the snow, it's refreshing!

Life is short and we have no guarantee
Of our next steps but must be thankful
For today and share the best of our rides
And joys in our lives! So glad you are alive
And well!

weisan
01-08-2019, 04:50 PM
I went back to the crime scene..er...I mean, the spot where I almost got creamed.

http://alicehui.com/bike/C40/IMG_1946.jpg

bikinchris
01-08-2019, 05:40 PM
I hope it helped you work through it.

weisan
01-08-2019, 05:45 PM
I hope it helped you work through it.

Thanks Chris pal. I am pretty sure I am out of the woods. Riding as per normal, not thinking much about it, if at all...but filed it away as a lesson learned for future reference.

simplemind
01-08-2019, 06:29 PM
I went back to the crime scene..er...I mean, the spot where I almost got creamed.

Great looking bike, sir!

tsarpepe
01-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Where around Austin is this (deceptively) quiet country road? I want to avoid it...

tuxbailey
01-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Weisann,

I am glad you are ok. I know too well the feeling of seeing the grill of the truck right in front of you. I am so happy that you got out of that jam.

I just received my kickr today. I might be using that more often...

cnighbor1
01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
When the vehicle was approaching and looking like it was going to hit you did you consider just getting off the road Or why did you keep going?
Thanks
Charles

Keith A
01-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Weisan -- Just seeing this...and I'm really happy to hear that all ended well and that you are still with us!

BTW, good to see the webbed one posting :)

mattsurf
01-10-2019, 03:33 AM
In 2017 I got hit from behind. Car ahead was on my side of the road, I took avoiding action and had the same experience of the "car going through me" as Weisan describes, however, next moment I was flying through the air.... the car behind also managed to avoid the car on our side of the road, however, in so doing, he took me out instead, and to make matters worse, he didn't even stop. The air ambulance was called out, luckily I got away with concussion, a broken collarbone and dislocated finger, the bike came down on top of me and only suffered a split saddle, otherwise not even a scratch

Recently I experienced the most terrifying noise any cyclist can experience.... the sound of a car locking up its brakes behind you