PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lever Shape Question

Bradford
12-28-2018, 06:56 PM
I have shimano brake/shifter levers on 4 of my bikes (two 6600 Ultegra, one 7800 Dura Ace, and one 9 speed 105). I like the shape of the hoods because it lets me put my palm on the top of the hood and lay my forearm on the bars for a semi-aero, but not in the drops, position.

The brakes on my touring bike (brakes only, I use bar ends for shifting), which are old 105 brakes with aero hoods from way back in the day, are too pointy for that position. I'd like to find some new brake levers for my touring bike with a shape similar to the Shimano 6600/7800. Does anyone have suggestions?

Looking at pictures, the Tektro RL340 look similar, but I don't have anyway to get my hands on them. (Plus, they come in silver and brown hoods, which is nice). Does anyone have experience with both the Tektro and the Shimano, and are they similar?

Other suggestions are encouraged, especially from people who are familiar with the Shimano shape and have used a brake-only lever that is close.

rccardr
12-28-2018, 09:00 PM
The Tektro levers are what you want, unless you have the bucks for later Campy or SRAM brake levers (I've seen the no-longer-produced Campy ones go for upwards of $200). My favorites are the R200L with straight blades, but they make several lever styles using the same or similar hoods.

You can also find some of the Tektro styles sold under Cane Creek and Origin8 brand names.