PDA

View Full Version : List of Hubs that uses cup and cone bearings?

zmalwo
12-28-2018, 06:24 PM
I know higher end fulcrum/campy wheels do and some? shimano hubs do, not sure which models for shimano. Other than those 2 is there any other manufactures that uses cup and cone bearing design on their hubs? I'm looking for a pair of deep carbon clincher disc wheels and have no intention on buying cartridge bearing ones like zipp, mavic etc.

Gummee
12-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Pretty much every Shimano hub has loose balls

AFA aftermarket? I'm not sure any of them do

M

bikinchris
12-28-2018, 08:28 PM
I know higher end fulcrum/campy wheels do and some? shimano hubs do, not sure which models for shimano. Other than those 2 is there any other manufactures that uses cup and cone bearing design on their hubs? I'm looking for a pair of deep carbon clincher disc wheels and have no intention on buying cartridge bearing ones like zipp, mavic etc.

Shimano carbon wheels all use cone and cup all the way up to Dura Ace.

ultraman6970
12-28-2018, 10:03 PM
It surprise me that still two manufacturers have ball bearings, I imagine they do because the process of fabrication was in place centuries ago so at this point probably means really low costs? Who knows.

BUt if you start a company manufacturing hubs the cost of designing and building cartidge hubs vs ball bearings must be pretty high...

THe nice about cartridges is that the wheel pretty much is problem free, u can run them in bad weather and nothing will happen to them.

dave thompson
12-28-2018, 11:23 PM
A good hub is going to be a good hub regardless of what kind of a bearing system is used.

muz
12-28-2018, 11:31 PM
THe nice about cartridges is that the wheel pretty much is problem free, u can run them in bad weather and nothing will happen to them.

My experience is the opposite. With proper maintenance, I find cup and cone bearings last a lot longer in foul weather. Cartridges seem to last one season, but then they are easy and cheap to replace.

GOTHBROOKS
12-29-2018, 12:31 AM
nothing is smoother than looseball campy track hubs.

ultraman6970
12-29-2018, 12:34 AM
Well... suntour hubs arent rough at all, same level if not better.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2018, 05:43 AM
It surprise me that still two manufacturers have ball bearings, I imagine they do because the process of fabrication was in place centuries ago so at this point probably means really low costs? Who knows.

BUt if you start a company manufacturing hubs the cost of designing and building cartridge hubs vs ball bearings must be pretty high...

Until you have to change the cart bearings and some are easy and some, not so much. 'run in bad weather'? Early Zipps had about 1 wet day in them before all the bearings(cart) went south..:eek:

buddybikes
12-29-2018, 05:53 AM
Self maintenance. grease, 2 hub wrenches, cassette remover, bucket and some cleaner all that is needed.

back in 70's our basic tune up even came with pulling bearing races.

ergott
12-29-2018, 06:17 AM
A good hub is going to be a good hub regardless of what kind of a bearing system is used.

Yup. Don't forget, the bearings in the freehub body of Campagnolo wheels are cartridge and very difficult to service due to circlip retainer. It's recommended to just replace freehub body when they go.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2018, 07:05 AM
Yup. Don't forget, the bearings in the freehub body of Campagnolo wheels are cartridge and very difficult to service due to circlip retainer. It's recommended to just replace freehub body when they go.

Ahhh..the top one is way easy to replace and the bottom one just needs a wee hole opposite the clip to pop it out..I'd say 2 $5 cart bearings is preferable to a $$$ freehub body...just my opinion...:)

ergott
12-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Ahhh..the top one is way easy to replace and the bottom one just needs a wee hole opposite the clip to pop it out..I'd say 2 $5 cart bearings is preferable to a $$$ freehub body...just my opinion...:)

Most at-home mechanics don't have the experience to do that replacement. Either way, my point is they have cartridge bearings so not a pure cone/cup hub. No one seems to mind.

pdonk
12-29-2018, 10:38 AM
Oops

pdonk
12-29-2018, 10:39 AM
Oops wrong thread

saab2000
12-29-2018, 10:50 AM
I think the days of cartridge bearing hubs having measurably higher drag are gone. It's not scientific, but my WI, Wheels Mfg and DT-Swiss hubs all feel super smooth and low-friction to my fingers and they require essentially zero maintenance.

I'm moving away from cup and cone hubs as I slowly sell off my Campagnolo wheels (two sets to go) and probably won't be coming back unless I get newer, more modern set of Campagnolo wheels someday.

Joxster
12-29-2018, 01:56 PM
I'm still running cup and cone hubs in wheels that I built in 1995, service them twice a year and they still run smooth. I'm also running a 1989 Campag BB that get's the same treatment and again it runs like a dream, but I look after my kit.

GonaSovereign
12-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Well... suntour hubs arent rough at all, same level if not better.

This is true. Superbe Pro are/were amazing. Track bits in particular still fetch good coin

oldpotatoe
12-30-2018, 06:44 AM
This is true. Superbe Pro are/were amazing. Track bits in particular still fetch good coin

BUT If memory serves tho, the cart bearings had a sleeve between the bearings making them pretty much impossible to get out..couldn't get under the lip of them..been a whwile

Jef58
12-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Cup and cone is a better design for the loads of a wheel. Cartridge type bearings are designed for radial loads. Cup and cone...if properly adjusted, are better at coping with both radial and axial loads a wheel goes through. Both Shimano and Campy hubs have very proven track records for a good reason...

zmalwo
12-30-2018, 11:19 AM
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/brucephoton/Untitled_zpstcwxupoy.png (http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/brucephoton/media/Untitled_zpstcwxupoy.png.html)

I'm just too OCD when I think how load is distributed on a cartridge bearing everytime. I just don't think cartridge bearings are meant to be used on side loaded hubs like bike hubs.

parallelfish
12-30-2018, 12:18 PM
Cup and cone is a better design for the loads of a wheel. Cartridge type bearings are designed for radial loads. Cup and cone...if properly adjusted, are better at coping with both radial and axial loads a wheel goes through. Both Shimano and Campy hubs have very proven track records for a good reason...

Agreed, regarding radial contact bearings. However, angular contact cartridge bearings are available, Chris King bearings among them.

vqdriver
12-30-2018, 02:21 PM
that's some serious ms paint right there :hello:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/brucephoton/Untitled_zpstcwxupoy.png (http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/brucephoton/media/Untitled_zpstcwxupoy.png.html)

vqdriver
12-30-2018, 02:23 PM
i'll say that all my new wheels have been dt, road, mtb, gravel, etc... but none roll like my da7700. i specfically built a townie for the wife around those hubs cuz i wanted to keep them around.

General69
12-30-2018, 09:58 PM
I have shimano 600 hubs from 1995. Service them once every 2 years and no issues. I even re-used the same balls since then. Just clean and grease. Sold my Chris king hubs just cause you can't overhaul bearings without buying new ones. Same with headsets as well. Just got some campy chorus hubs and they were even easier to adjust but the balls weren't loose.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bfd
12-30-2018, 11:19 PM
Just got some campy chorus hubs and they were even easier to adjust but the balls weren't loose.

I'm curious as to what Campy Chorus hubs do you have? It is my understanding that Campagnolo Record/Chorus/Centaur hubs with the oversized axle, 1999-2006, all had loose ball bearings. Here's a diagram of the Chorus rear hub from that era, see G, those are loose ball bearings on a retainer. I believe the ball bearings are 5/32" (get Grade 25):

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5883d7f0197aea49bd489d97/t/58dee35cb8a79b442ac76133/1491002212103/?format=500w

Starting in 2007, Chorus hubs were discontinued and Centaur hubs had cartridge bearings.

So I wonder whether you have Chorus hubs or the later Centaur if you have cartridge bearings?

Good Luck!

oldpotatoe
12-31-2018, 05:25 AM
I'm curious as to what Campy Chorus hubs do you have? It is my understanding that Campagnolo Record/Chorus/Centaur hubs with the oversized axle, 1999-2006, all had loose ball bearings. Here's a diagram of the Chorus rear hub from that era, see G, as those are loose ball bearings on a retainer. I believe the ball bearings are 5/32" (get Grade 25):

Starting in 2007, Chorus hubs were discontinued and Centaur hubs had cartridge bearings.

So I wonder whether you have Chorus hubs or the later Centaur if you have cartridge bearings?

Good Luck!

Pretty sure he means that the balls weren't 'loose' but in that fiber cage. Even some DA hubs had balls in a 'cage'..7800...

General69
12-31-2018, 07:02 AM
Pretty sure he means that the balls weren't 'loose' but in that fiber cage. Even some DA hubs had balls in a 'cage'..7800...

They were in a fiber cage.

ergott
12-31-2018, 08:53 AM
Sold my Chris king hubs just cause you can't overhaul bearings without buying new ones.

Yes you can. You just pop the seals off the bearings and flush them out. Add grease, pop seals back in and usually good as new. I've done this service before to hubs that were 15 plus years old.

Gummee
12-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Pretty sure he means that the balls weren't 'loose' but in that fiber cage. Even some DA hubs had balls in a 'cage'..7800...6800 and 9000 both have the same style 'cage' made outta some synthetic material

M

bfd
12-31-2018, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the clarification. But as you know the fiber cage, e.g. retainer, can be “optional” and you can easily run just the ball bearings without it. Therefore, they basically are loose bearings and easily replaceable. In contrast, cartridge bearings are not loose bearings and the only way to replace to to put in another cartridge bearing. Are cartridge bearings better? For Campy hubs, I say no!

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

oldpotatoe
01-01-2019, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the clarification. But as you know the fiber cage, e.g. retainer, can be “optional” and you can easily run just the ball bearings without it. Therefore, they basically are loose bearings and easily replaceable. In contrast, cartridge bearings are not loose bearings and the only way to replace to to put in another cartridge bearing. Are cartridge bearings better? For Campy hubs, I say no!

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

Ayup:)

oldpotatoe
01-01-2019, 05:36 AM
Most at-home mechanics don't have the experience to do that replacement. Either way, my point is they have cartridge bearings so not a pure cone/cup hub. No one seems to mind.

Hmm, I pretty impressed that most 'at-home' mechanics can OVH King hubs so taking a cart bearing out, measuring inside the distance to the clip, drilling a wee hole, spoke in there, clip out..I donno..pretty simple but I guess, YMMV and all that.