PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle (Intro + Questions)

503m979
12-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Hi all,

My name's Dave. I used to be pretty active on here a handful of years ago, but had fallen off the bike wagon for a while and I can't remember my old username, so here I am fresh and clean.

Until a few years ago I was riding a Pegoretti Responsorium, but multiple TBI-related issues (I've been in the SEAL teams for over a decade now) forced me to sell: riding was triggering migraines and I couldn't do it anymore.

But my migraines, despite the doctors' expectations, seem to be improving pretty dramatically.

I want to get back in the saddle, but I'm not sure what to ride.

Obviously I can't easily get another Pegoretti (and I don't want to lay out that kind of cash until I've ridden for 6mo or so), but I also don't want to get some ugly Fuji.

The joy of cycling, for me, is the flying - not the specs. The Peg wasn't the lightest or fastest, but every time I held the saddle and rolled it, it made me want to ride. And every time I rode, it mocked me to ride harder.

My ultimate plan, if it turns out that I can ride without migraines, is to get on Chris Bishop's build list and get something low, lugged, and mean from him.

But in the meantime I'm looking for something that will keep me coming back for more. For the record, I'm 6'1" 220lbs. I rode a 57 Pegoretti, but could pretty easily ride a 58 or 59 in most bikes. I still have my wheels (overbuilt - I break factory wheels) with an 11spd Campy cassette.

Here are some of the bikes I've been looking at. I'd love any feedback you guys may have.

This Gunnar Roadie (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=219527) - I presume he'd be willing to ship for the right price. I think the straight fork is kinda ugly, but something about the bike tells me I'd dig it.

This Vamoots (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231050&highlight=vamoots) - he's willing to switch the Ultegra10 to SR11 and leave off the wheels for $2250. Not sure how good a deal that is, but I live in Seattle now so Ti sounds practical.

I could build this Serotta HSG Fierte (https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/2009-serotta-fierte-carbon-lugged-58cm/6780358388.html) into something with the SR Gruppo I saw in the classifieds.

There's this Litespeed Appalachian (https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bik/d/tacoma-litespeed-appalachian-titanium/6780127187.html) which is a great deal, but seems like it might be pretty sluggish coming from the Responsorium.

Then we also have two Merlins, a CR Works (https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2391004/) or an Extralight (https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2492447/).

I just lost the auction for this Colnago Master Light (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colnago-Masterlight-Custom-Build-In-Classic-Finishes-/254043253039?item=254043253039&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=JXIYvC3pIEKypU76jMAozrj7QMY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557) this morning because I had to stop my kids from killing each other.

So you can see I'm really all over the ****ing place. I just want something that's going to keep my interest for a year or so. I don't do crits, but I love stage-length races and club rides. No aluminum please, and I'm not a huge fan of carbon unless it's interesting (like the Serotta).

Any feedback you might have to help me tighten my shot group would be appreciated. I'm also open to hearing how I'm being dumb about x or y. Because I'm certain I am.

Thanks much. Hoping to get back in the saddle soon here.

/dave

ultraman6970
12-28-2018, 04:49 PM
Hard to answer... get whatever gets you hot... :)

jtbadge
12-28-2018, 04:58 PM
That Gunnar is an awesome bike and a really nice deal.

weisan
12-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Just follow whatever advice Clean39T gives you later when he posts a response on this thread.

503m979
12-28-2018, 05:54 PM
Almost forgot this guy:

Foundry Chilkoot w/SR EPS (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Foundry-Chilkoot-Titanium-Road-Bike-Campagnolo-Super-Record-EPS-Mercury-wheelset/163451222537?hash=item260e73ba09:g:eOwAAOSwN5Zb0Su 3:rk:2:pf:0) - the nice thing here is that I'd probably opt for EPS on the Bishop, so I'd already have a Gruppo...

uber
12-28-2018, 06:22 PM
First off, thank you for your service. If you have big love for a Respo, that might be your long term goal. I love the idea of a Moots. It has its own industrial coolness and could be a great bad weather companion to a Bishop or that future Peg. Speedvagens are very cool bikes and have a different appeal to the steel frame lover. An old MX Leader could do it for me too. Find the frame that gives you the thrill and enjoy it. Welcome back.
BTW, I believe Respos were originally for lighter riders. You might enjoy a Marcelo, Big Leg Emma or Day is Done as much or more.

503m979
12-28-2018, 06:42 PM
First off, thank you for your service.

Thanks for paying your taxes!

If you have big love for a Respo, that might be your long term goal. I love the idea of a Moots. It has its own industrial coolness and could be a great bad weather companion to a Bishop or that future Peg. Speedvagens are very cool bikes and have a different appeal to the steel frame lover. An old MX Leader could do it for me too. Find the frame that gives you the thrill and enjoy it. Welcome back.
BTW, I believe Respos were originally for lighter riders. You might enjoy a Marcelo, Big Leg Emma or Day is Done as much or more.

I kinda like the Moots too. Think that's a decent price? I've only been looking for a few weeks, but it seems pretty good to me.

Matthew
12-28-2018, 06:46 PM
I second the Moots but I'm very biased.

503m979
12-28-2018, 06:48 PM
I second the Moots but I'm very biased.

Matt, I'm looking for bias! Cycling at my level is almost all about feeling/bias!
Does that seem like a reasonable price point for that frame/fork and a 1-gen-old SR gruppo?

FlashUNC
12-28-2018, 06:53 PM
Other options in carbon just for kicks:

Look 585/595
Time VXR/VXRS
Colnago C40/50/59

If your heart is telling you Ti, tough to go wrong with Moots.

And I had a Serotta Fierte. Not a fan of it at all. You're better off with other options on your list.

503m979
12-28-2018, 07:11 PM
Other options in carbon just for kicks:

Look 585/595
Time VXR/VXRS
Colnago C40/50/59

I do rather like the Colnagos. Not bad for carbon...

Thanks for the heads-up on the Serotta.

Hilltopperny
12-28-2018, 07:42 PM
Get the Vamoots! I've owned a Responsorium and two Vamoots one being the rsl. The Vamoots has a smooth and responsive ride with the right amount of feedback and it shouldn't be difficult to recoup costs if it doesn't work out depending on the SR group. I'd probably offer around $1800 which seems a bit more in line with that generation of Vamoots.

I am only 5'8 and fluctuate between 200 to 220lbs. Good luck in your search. There are definitely other bikes I could recommend, but on the list you mentioned a Vamoots is hard to beat!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

503m979
12-28-2018, 07:59 PM
There are definitely other bikes I could recommend, but on the list you mentioned a Vamoots is hard to beat!

What would they be? I'm trying to stay between $1000 and $2000 with jumps to $3k for the RIGHT ride.

Hilltopperny
12-28-2018, 08:03 PM
What would they be? I'm trying to stay between $1000 and $2000 with jumps to $3k for the RIGHT ride.I switched to a No22 Great Divide and it is a fantastic road bike. Not too aggressive, but super smooth and a bit more responsive than the Vamoots in my opinion. I highly recommend it, but they don't really pop up very often in the used market.

I also owned a Guru Praemio R that was a bit more aggressive than the Vamoots and a bit of a stiffer ride than any other titanium super bike I've owned with shorter 1" chainstays. I think it's a great option for a 200+lb strong rider as well.

503m979
12-28-2018, 08:08 PM
I switched to a No22 Great Divide and it is a fantastic road bike. Not too aggressive, but super smooth and a bit more responsive than the Vamoots in my opinion. I highly recommend it, but they don't really pop up very often in the used market.

That's good to hear, I have looked at them and am intrigued by the Aurora. They're on my short list for sure. But the only No22 I've seen on eBay was a Drifter that was listed for $6800. So I didn't even make an offer there...

Hilltopperny
12-28-2018, 08:11 PM
That's good to hear, I have looked at them and am intrigued by the Aurora. They're on my short list for sure. But the only No22 I've seen on eBay was a Drifter that was listed for $6800. So I didn't even make an offer there...I own a Drifter as well. You can get a new one for around that asking price. The Aurora is bada$$ for sure. I'm local to the shop and those guys make some fine bicycles!

503m979
12-28-2018, 08:20 PM
These also seem decent:

Colnago Extreme-Power (though it's a stupid name) (https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLNAGO-EXTREME-POWER-w-CAMPAGNOLO-SUPER-RECORD-11-GROUP/382688974009?hash=item591a0a54b9:g:dMcAAOSwAbxb8Cn 7:rk:11:pf:0)

Alchemy Helios (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Alchemy-Helios-Road-Bike-58cm-Large-Carbon-Shimano-Ultegra/352512097936?hash=item52135bbe90:rk:5:pf:0)

503m979
12-28-2018, 08:26 PM
I own a Drifter as well. You can get a new one for around that asking price. The Aurora is bada$$ for sure. I'm local to the shop and those guys make some fine bicycles!

Dang son. That's quite a stable you have!

Hilltopperny
12-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Dang soon. That's quite a stable you have!It's honestly a bit excessive, but I love riding and trying nice high end bikes! I don't really have any vices and am pretty frugal otherwise.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2018, 05:51 AM
Hi all,

My name's Dave. I used to be pretty active on here a handful of years ago, but had fallen off the bike wagon for a while and I can't remember my old username, so here I am fresh and clean.

Until a few years ago I was riding a Pegoretti Responsorium, but multiple TBI-related issues (I've been in the SEAL teams for over a decade now) forced me to sell: riding was triggering migraines and I couldn't do it anymore.

But my migraines, despite the doctors' expectations, seem to be improving pretty dramatically.

I want to get back in the saddle, but I'm not sure what to ride.

The joy of cycling, for me, is the flying - not the specs. The Peg wasn't the lightest or fastest, but every time I held the saddle and rolled it, it made me want to ride. And every time I rode, it mocked me to ride harder.

My ultimate plan, if it turns out that I can ride without migraines, is to get on Chris Bishop's build list and get something low, lugged, and mean from him.

But in the meantime I'm looking for something that will keep me coming back for more. For the record, I'm 6'1" 220lbs. I rode a 57 Pegoretti, but could pretty easily ride a 58 or 59 in most bikes. I still have my wheels (overbuilt - I break factory wheels) with an 11spd Campy cassette.

Here are some of the bikes I've been looking at. I'd love any feedback you guys may have.

So you can see I'm really all over the ****ing place. I just want something that's going to keep my interest for a year or so. I don't do crits, but I love stage-length races and club rides. No aluminum please, and I'm not a huge fan of carbon unless it's interesting (like the Serotta).

Any feedback you might have to help me tighten my shot group would be appreciated. I'm also open to hearing how I'm being dumb about x or y. Because I'm certain I am.

Thanks much. Hoping to get back in the saddle soon here.

/dave

First, thanks for your service..the teams do a lot but get little recognition..but 'recognition' isn't in the teams DNA, I know that.

Glad your migraines are subsiding..I've had 'em on and off since I was 12..

As you said, the object of the ride is the ride..just about anything will do..The Gunnar is a great choice as would be a MXLeader if you can find one. 58cm size would fit you great. These frames are GREAT for bigger riders(I are one), they ride much lighter than they are and nothing descends better.

Moots also..I have 2 of those..again, great for bigger rider.

But anything really...

Again, thanks for your service, shipmate, ride safe. Unlike when your are doin' your job, when riding, you may less control over those around you..

-USN(Ret)1993
Phormer Phantom Phlyer

paredown
12-29-2018, 06:59 AM
I'm partial to the Gunnar as a starting point--see how it goes once you are rolling again. Someone on here is adamant that these are his favorite bikes--after trying fancier stuff.

Second for me would be the Moots-mostly from reading the praises of others on this board-this would be the easiest to get your money back out of.

If I were to dip my toe into the carbon world--I would find a light use Look 585 to try...they are pretty cheap now (fallen in price more than the comparable Colnago C40/C50).

Glad the TBI after-effects have subsided--I still remember the conversations with the neuro's who looked after my sister-in-law, telling me how little they actually knew about brain healing and recovery--up to two years was the rule of thumb, but there were lots of exceptions where people had improved functioning out the blue long after that...

Clean39T
12-29-2018, 12:02 PM
First, glad you are better and getting back on the bike.

I need to check with someone who has "dibs" on the frameset, but I could sell you my Alliance within your budget... It's built w R8000 currently, and using a Chorus cassette since all my wheels are Campy. It's the closest ride you'll get to the Peg - similar BB drop, though a steeper STA.

There's a writeup on it in the Custom Gallery.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181229/2fdb38cebc9a14068e3bdaf20d8a135f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181229/59366e6cf4bbcb4bb108dadd02f9ebd6.jpg

503m979
12-29-2018, 12:22 PM
First, glad you are better and getting back on the bike.

I need to check with someone who has "dibs" on the frameset, but I could sell you my Alliance within your budget... It's built w R8000 currently, and using a Chorus cassette since all my wheels are Campy. It's the closest ride you'll get to the Peg - similar BB drop, though a steeper STA

Clean39T,
That is really beautiful. Seriously. If it's not spoken for, let's talk!
Those dimensions look almost identical to the fit on my Respo too! Almost no adjustments required!
I haven't ridden Shimano since my first bike, a bright red '96 Klein Stage with 105 that I bought in 6th grade... It'll make me all nostalgic!
/dave

Clean39T
12-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Clean39T,
That is really beautiful. Seriously. If it's not spoken for, let's talk!
Those dimensions look almost identical to the fit on my Respo too! Almost no adjustments required!
I haven't ridden Shimano since my first bike, a bright red '96 Klein Stage with 105 that I bought in 6th grade... It'll make me all nostalgic!
/daveHere are a couple links w more info:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alliancebicycles/40659785175/in/photostream

http://alliancebicycles.com/2018/01/23/race-day-steel-road-frame-available-size-57-5cm/

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f3/alliance-columbus-spirit-road-bike-57-5cm-athena-enve-boyd-parts-$2-990-a-49907.html

I bought it just as the frameset, directly from Erik. I knew it'd be small for me - wanted to try it anyway :)

Headed out to ride, but we can chat later.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

parallelfish
12-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Clean provides likely the premier revolving door bike service and is a good guy to deal with.

If the Alliance does not work out, I can attest to the abilities of both the MXL and the Look 585. I have a 58cm MXL, and as OP has stated, nothing descends better. It’s like a raptor!

Last year I purchased a used Look 585 to use as a rain bike. I am simply in love with this frame - ride it the majority of the time.