PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Christmas Gifts?

Hawker
12-27-2018, 10:31 AM
I normally discourage my loved ones from buying me cycling oriented Christmas gifts as in the past I have gotten bells, whistles, lights that attach to my spokes, baskets and other such things that while appreciated...are never used.

However, received two books this year and I'm already several chapters into one of them; Pro Cycling On $10 A Day, Phil Gaimon. I'm on page 50 and find it interesting...but not sure if it will stay that way for 280 pages?

Second book, Old Man on a Bicycle- A ride across america and how to realize a more enjoyable old age. OK family, I get the hint. However, this appears to have gotten good reviews. I'll wrap myself in a blanket, take some extra Geritol and read this on a cold winter night.

AngryScientist
12-27-2018, 10:44 AM
i received a small book of "Dad Jokes" - and have been tormenting every person who enters my house. probably my favorite christmas gift in a while.

Q: What do you call a sleep walking nun.....??

A: A roamin catholic.

:banana:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/715m%2BZM%2BH-L.jpg

Irishgirl
12-27-2018, 10:59 AM
The best gift I got this year was the gift of kindness and thoughtfulness from the person in front of me at Starbucks that paid for my coffee which inspired me to repeat for the person behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce K
12-27-2018, 11:00 AM
A finished kitchen renovation

Good food

Good wine

Family and friends

(Plus some $$$ from my wife to spend as I see fit)

Pretty much perfect

BK

Clean39T
12-27-2018, 11:13 AM
My wife got me a year subscription to Bicycle Quarterly and some Radavist socks.

My cat got me some knee warmers and a winter cap from Snek.

Hawker
12-27-2018, 11:36 AM
The best gift I got this year was the gift of kindness and thoughtfulness from the person in front of me at Starbucks that paid for my coffee which inspired me to repeat for the person behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that. But here is what happened to me last week; I told my wife to tell the girl at the register that we wanted to pay for the person behind us. Instead the girl (yes she was a "girl") rang up the THREE people behind us. When I got there to pay and saw the bill it caught me by surprise and rather than create a scene I just payed for everyone! Later all these strangers came to my table to thank me and wonder why? I wondered why myself? :)

A finished kitchen renovation

Good food

Good wine

Family and friends

(Plus some $$$ from my wife to spend as I see fit)

Pretty much perfect

BK

And we did the kitchen renovation thing as well. Started as a small renovation and ended up very large indeed, with all new appliances as well. Do you know how many bikes I could have bought for that renovation!!

BrianE
12-27-2018, 12:02 PM
My wife Linda is terribly shy when it comes to singing outside our house. As I have no singing talent anywhere within my DNA, I listen as she moves about our home singing a snippet of one tune or another in sheer amazement. Long story short, Linda very quietly started to hum a favorite Christmas Carole as we and our friends were in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on Christmas dinner. Her girl friend picked up on it and 30 minutes later, inhibitions having gone to vapor, they were scrambling for another song book from which to choose the next Carole......
On the drive home, Linda quietly wept a saucer full of joyful tears for if only a brief moment, having gotten the best of her deamon(s). Best gift ever.

benadrian
12-27-2018, 01:20 PM
The awesome wife got me a nice hitch-mounted, wheel-supporting bike rack. She's in cahoots with our good friend who got me a hit mount to put on my car.
It's gonna be so nice.

She also got me a Mont Ventoux t-shirt.

ultraman6970
12-27-2018, 01:21 PM
i got NOTHING!

Bruce K
12-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Oh trust me Hawker, I understand that completely.

50% over original budget but now that it’s complete, worth every penny!

BK

Bwana
12-27-2018, 02:08 PM
My parents got me some really nice, crazy light, Giordana bibs. Cant wait to try them in the summer.

Got Rapha merino leg warmers from my brother and S-I-L, and a jersey and some socks from other people.

donevwil
12-27-2018, 02:10 PM
I'd hinted I could use a Swift Industries gift certificate, I received three. More than I need.

henrypretz
12-27-2018, 02:11 PM
My wife Linda is terribly shy when it comes to singing outside our house. As I have no singing talent anywhere within my DNA, I listen as she moves about our home singing a snippet of one tune or another in sheer amazement. Long story short, Linda very quietly started to hum a favorite Christmas Carole as we and our friends were in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on Christmas dinner. Her girl friend picked up on it and 30 minutes later, inhibitions having gone to vapor, they were scrambling for another song book from which to choose the next Carole......

On the drive home, Linda quietly wept a saucer full of joyful tears for if only a brief moment, having gotten the best of her deamon(s). Best gift ever.

What a great story.
Happy holidays to you both.

galgal
12-27-2018, 02:14 PM
My wife got me a year subscription to Bicycle Quarterly and some Radavist socks.

My cat got me some knee warmers and a winter cap from Snek.

Does your cat accept paypal? I'm almost afraid to know:banana:

henrypretz
12-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Our grandson sure likes his ...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181227/8f25f9d3374b4a08fa7ef4219d703439.jpg

Hawker
12-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Our grandson sure likes his ...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181227/8f25f9d3374b4a08fa7ef4219d703439.jpg

Perfect Standover height.

Elefantino
12-27-2018, 02:47 PM
My wife and I got each other a dog.

Meet Tebow. She's a small brindle with 43 wins in 206 starts.

Hawker
12-27-2018, 02:51 PM
I understand they make great pets! Is she a result of the recent outlawing of dog racing in FL? Hope you enjoy her.

R3awak3n
12-27-2018, 03:41 PM
My wife got me a bunch of clothes, socks, a pair of shoes. Father in law got me a rapha gift card.

dubrat
12-27-2018, 03:46 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62366874@N04/46380358012/in/dateposted-public/I’ve had 3 weeks of with my family in between jobs.... best gift ever.

I also got myself this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62366874@N04/46380358012/in/dateposted-public/

bart998
12-27-2018, 04:47 PM
My wife rocks and got me a KASK Valegro helmet and a sonic parts cleaner. My kids got me several pairs of colorful cycling socks.... guess the white ones I always wear are boring.

Elefantino
12-27-2018, 05:09 PM
I understand they make great pets! Is she a result of the recent outlawing of dog racing in FL? Hope you enjoy her.
Her last race was on 10/5, before the election. She raced at Orange Park (where we lived) and Daytona Beach, hence the name.

Bruce K
12-27-2018, 05:51 PM
20% win rate us pretty solid.

She must be REALLY fast!

Enjoy your new family member!

BK

mtb_frk
12-27-2018, 07:53 PM
I got a personal weather station (pws), I'm a bit of a weather nerd so I am pretty excited to get it set up in the proper location. Being able to check the weather at home from the internet is pretty cool.

sokyroadie
02-11-2021, 05:40 PM
I got a rare collector's blade for my Christmas.

Welcome to the forum - start spamming anytime