PDA

View Full Version : Time to caveat the Rapha Sale...

DCilliams
12-27-2018, 09:11 AM
...as the "Staggered, highly selective discount with no sizes available but we posted it anyway" sale.

fa63
12-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I browsed through it this morning and was really pissed off with the lack of size and/or color options...

Clean39T
12-27-2018, 09:54 AM
So true.

Posting odds/ends and leaving everything else at full price isn't a sale - it's a bait n switch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
12-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Trying to break the customer behavior cycle they'd gotten into over the last several years of sale waiting.

Welcome to the new normal.

DCilliams
12-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Trying to break the customer behavior cycle they'd gotten into over the last several years of sale waiting.

Welcome to the new normal.

Hadn’t thought of that. Good point.

adub
12-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Inflated MSRP's so people flock to the "sale"

AngryScientist
12-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Posting odds/ends and leaving everything else at full price isn't a sale - it's a bait n switch.

that's not really true.

it's really a much more sensible retail strategy to leave your new product at full price and slash the prices of last seasons stuff to get rid of it.

rapha just set up what is probably an unsustainable model over the last couple of years of introducing new products at high prices and putting them on sale 6 times/year, which lowered the perceived value of everything. nothing is ever "worth" the retail price if no one ever pays it.

they may be trying to get back to a less idiotic (kohls...) sales strategy, but that may not be easy given what they have set up in the past, as is evidenced by this thread.

i like the rapha kit and hope they can figure this all out. it will not be easy for them. it's always harder for a company to get things right after having fouled up at it a couple few times.

Clean39T
12-27-2018, 10:51 AM
that's not really true.

it's really a much more sensible retail strategy to leave your new product at full price and slash the prices of last seasons stuff to get rid of it.

rapha just set up what is probably an unsustainable model over the last couple of years of introducing new products at high prices and putting them on sale 6 times/year, which lowered the perceived value of everything. nothing is ever "worth" the retail price if no one ever pays it.

they may be trying to get back to a less idiotic (kohls...) sales strategy, but that may not be easy given what they have set up in the past, as is evidenced by this thread.

i like the rapha kit and hope they can figure this all out. it will not be easy for them. it's always harder for a company to get things right after having fouled up at it a couple few times.

I still think it is bait n' switch.

It's fine to blow out the odds/ends inventory at 40% off - but calling that a "40% off sale" on social media is click-bait.

Rapha's January Sale is now on, with reductions of up to 40% on our best-loved and most technical cycling clothing. Shop by size across a wide range of products using the link in our bio.

They should be advertising it as "new inventory added to outlet store, limited sizes available" or some such.

And do something like a spend n' save discount where if you purchase X amount of archive-sale items, you get Y discount off regular price items.

The responses on IG and FB are telling.

Contrast this with Isadore (https://isadore.com/):

Maybe in spite of all the hints you dropped, you still didn’t get what you wanted for Christmas. Take matters into your own hands with our End of the Year Flash Sale. From Friday, December 28th at 00:00 CET until Sunday, December 30th 00:00 CET, you will find 25% discounts.

The quality of Isadore's "Mens Bibs" seems very much in line with the Rapha Classic bibs, if not better - and at $155 ($116.50 on sale), it's a no-brainer which one to choose. Same with their jerseys, vs. the classic Rapha merino/poly blends.

AngryScientist
12-27-2018, 11:03 AM

It's fine to blow out the odds/ends inventory at 40% off - but calling that a "40% off sale" on social media is click-bait.

Rapha's January Sale is now on, with reductions of up to 40% on our best-loved and most technical cycling clothing. Shop by size across a wide range of products using the link in our bio.

They should be advertising it as "new inventory added to outlet store, limited sizes available" or some such.

And do something like a spend n' save discount where if you purchase X amount of archive-sale items, you get Y discount off regular price items.

yup; i agree! - they have a lot to figure out in the marketing/sales department!

personally speaking, this past year, i've started a radical shift to buy less stuff. these days, all those types of emails go straight to a spam folder. i dont need any kit right now, so i dont care what kind of a sale rapha throws at me, i dont even want to see the email.

right around thanksgiving, i really got fed up with looking at 108 emails a day in my inbox with every company i've ever thought about bombarding my inbox with marketeering crap. i get the game, and i understand retail is all about making sales or die, i just dont want to be a "mark" in the social media/email blast furnace.

so to anyone who gets mad or annoyed at the quality of the latest rapha sale, my response is: do you really need to buy any of this crap anyway??

:banana:

Clean39T
12-27-2018, 11:06 AM
so to anyone who gets mad or annoyed at the quality of the latest rapha sale, my response is: do you really need to buy any of this crap anyway??

I'll I want is one more pair of Rapha classic bibs to go with the 3-4 used Rapha jerseys I've picked up in the last few months :eek:

Or I may just have a "quitting Rapha" sale soon in the classifieds :fight:

Good on you though for bucking the consumerist trends :beer:

I have much to learn.

dbnm
12-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Just don't buy from them!!

Damn.

corky
12-27-2018, 01:22 PM
Damned if they do damned if they don’t...

No other cycling clothing company generates so many forum column inches......

makoti
12-27-2018, 01:33 PM
I'll I want is one more pair of Rapha classic bibs to go with the 3-4 used Rapha jerseys I've picked up in the last few months :eek:

What size?

galgal
12-27-2018, 01:41 PM

I do like their classic bibs - a lot. I've never tried Isadore, but as you say, is probably comparable and cheaper on sale!

Clean39T
12-27-2018, 01:45 PM
What size?Medium.

R3awak3n
12-27-2018, 01:51 PM
I love my Classic Winter Windblock Jersey. I got the chartreusse one for like $107 a couple of months ago, was on the archive sale, they now have the 2 new colors on sale for a good bit more. Thinking about buying another one though, its excellent, best winter jersey I have had. That and a mid weight merino base can get me down to 30 degrees, under that just add a jacket and good to about 20.

I do agree on some stuff, there is no sizes available so just don't put it in the sale.

I really want another pair of pro winter tights with pad but they are not on sale (not surprised, its winter and winter item)

madsciencenow
12-27-2018, 05:33 PM

Contrast this with Isadore (https://isadore.com/):

Maybe in spite of all the hints you dropped, you still didn’t get what you wanted for Christmas. Take matters into your own hands with our End of the Year Flash Sale. From Friday, December 28th at 00:00 CET until Sunday, December 30th 00:00 CET, you will find 25% discounts.

The quality of Isadore's "Mens Bibs" seems very much in line with the Rapha Classic bibs, if not better - and at $155 ($116.50 on sale), it's a no-brainer which one to choose. Same with their jerseys, vs. the classic Rapha merino/poly blends.

Thanks, Dan! Just pulled the trigger on a pair of these.

I hadn’t heard of this brand until you mentioned it here but their stuff seems similar to Rapha with somewhat better prices (not in all cases but generally speaking). I’m hoping more companies like this come along. I like Rapha fine but options and competition are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobydrew
12-27-2018, 06:19 PM
+1 for Isadore.

Purchased a pair of their standard bibs and a short sleeve "woolight" jersey from them earlier this year. Both pieces feel very well made, but the bibs and chamois are exceptionally comfy.

Drmojo
12-27-2018, 09:59 PM

Damn.
I have never bought Ratza
never will
but I am a born outcast

cderalow
12-27-2018, 11:55 PM
I find the archive sale at the clubhouses to be a more efficient way to purchase their kit.

Clean39T
12-27-2018, 11:58 PM
I find the archive sale at the clubhouses to be a more efficient way to purchase their kit.

I'd probably agree - I have a weird body shape and need to try stuff on - I've sent back much more than I've kept when shopping their online site. Really, I have nothing against Rapha and would join the RCC if I was in a town with a clubhouse..

Clean39T
12-27-2018, 11:59 PM
Thanks, Dan! Just pulled the trigger on a pair of these.

I hadn’t heard of this brand until you mentioned it here but their stuff seems similar to Rapha with somewhat better prices (not in all cases but generally speaking). I’m hoping more companies like this come along. I like Rapha fine but options and competition are good.

+1 for Isadore.

Purchased a pair of their standard bibs and a short sleeve "woolight" jersey from them earlier this year. Both pieces feel very well made, but the bibs and chamois are exceptionally comfy.

Dang, I shoulda shared the link for $25 off - I don't usually do that, but if anyone else is wanting to place an Isadore order, PM me - you get $25 off, I get $25 as a kicker.

Also, glad you found them - and that Matt Z. told me about them here in my capsule-kit thread - which is how I found them..

oldpotatoe
12-28-2018, 07:51 AM

Damn.

No kidding..it's only 'bait and switch' if you actually buy something and see it's not what you paid for..I wander around some other forums, not bike related..and a few 'brands' consistently get hammered when anything about them is mentioned.

Rapha
Apple anything
Glock

Probably others but jealousy? Poor choices of other brands? Paid a ton of $ but those 'other brands' have to go back for some reason? Exploding phones?..I donno..

It's interesting that 2 of the above 'brands' were first in the market..and the copyin' then commenced..even in advertising..I always thought the best advertising was saying how your product was great, not how the other guy was 'bad'....:)
I could've had _____ but _____just as good......

Ozz
12-28-2018, 09:27 AM
that's not really true.

It's really a much more sensible retail strategy to leave your new product at full price and slash the prices of last seasons stuff to get rid of it.

+1

Clean39T
12-28-2018, 09:50 AM
No kidding..it's only 'bait and switch' if you actually buy something and see it's not what you paid for..I wander around some other forums, not bike related..and a few 'brands' consistently get hammered when anything about them is mentioned.

Rapha
Apple anything
Glock

Probably others but jealousy? Poor choices of other brands? Paid a ton of $ but those 'other brands' have to go back for some reason? Exploding phones?..I donno..

It's interesting that 2 of the above 'brands' were first in the market..and the copyin' then commenced..even in advertising..I always thought the best advertising was saying how your product was great, not how the other guy was 'bad'....:)
I could've had _____ but _____just as good......

Bait: 40% off sale!!!

Switcheroo: odd sizes and leftovers only

That's all.

charliedid
12-28-2018, 10:21 AM
Funny

Seems people believe that they deserve a discount and that Rapha owes them one.

Weird

oldpotatoe
12-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Bait: 40% off sale!!!

Switcheroo: odd sizes and leftovers only

That's all.

Was the 40% on those odd sizes and leftovers?
That’s all

Clean39T
12-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Funny

WeirdDeserve a sale? No.

Taken aback by a somewhat misleading advertisement? Yes.

That's all. Pretty straightforward.

charliedid
12-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Hardly a Bait and Switch when you advertise "Up to 40% Off"

FlashUNC
12-28-2018, 10:40 AM
There's no bait and switch. If there is a bait, it's that learned consumer behavior from the last 3-4 years that Rapha will throw everything on sale during the sale, incentivizing people to just wait for the sale and not buy at the full price.

Premium retail brands generally don't do that, and Rapha very much tries to position itself as such.

Those heady days of 40% off sales on everything at Rapha are over. If you want it, you're paying full freight.

adub
12-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Funny

Weird

LOL!

This is phenomenon created by a company that has inflated MSRP's and relies on sales to move the product.

Ever pay full ticket for a pair of pants at Banana Republic? Same thing happening here.

R3awak3n
12-28-2018, 10:44 AM
I just checked and I wear XXL and there is a lot of stuff still but not as much as say XL. The best way to shop the sale is to just put your size and only look at stuff that is your size. This way you don't go in and out clicking stuff that is not available.

Also I bet there are plenty people paying full price for rapha.

charliedid
12-28-2018, 10:46 AM
LOL!

This is phenomenon created by a company that has inflated MSRP's and relies on sales to move the product.

Ever pay full ticket for a pair of pants at Banana Republic? Same thing happening here.

No argument

Clean39T
12-28-2018, 10:50 AM
I'll just reiterate this from above:

---------------

Call it whatever you want, I just think it's bad marketing. You drive traffic to your site, but it just leads people to be p/o'd that they spent 30 mins clicking around a clumsy web-store only to find nothing available in the more normal sizes.

dbnm
12-28-2018, 10:56 AM
I blame most of this on their awful website.

charliedid
12-28-2018, 10:58 AM
I'll just reiterate this from above:

---------------

Call it whatever you want, I just think it's bad marketing. You drive traffic to your site, but it just leads people to be p/o'd that they spent 30 mins clicking around a clumsy web-store only to find nothing available in the more normal sizes.

Click Bait?

Have some self control! :)

It's just bike clothing of which I have plenty already. Based on your publically available spending habits, I doubt you are suffering in old worn out kit due to the inability to afford a pair of shorts or jersey when needed at full price.

Sorry, I don't feel more badly for you. :p

Happy New Year!

gdw
12-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Much ado about nothing. The blurb you quoted is accurate. Rapha is running a sale and offering some of their products, not all, at a discount of up to 40 percent..

Clean39T
12-28-2018, 11:03 AM
Click Bait?

Have some self control! :)

It's just bike clothing of which I have plenty already. Based on your publically available spending habits, I doubt you are suffering in old worn out kit due to the inability to afford a pair of shorts or jersey when needed at full price.

Sorry, I don't feel more badly for you. :p

Happy New Year!

Ha ha - guilty as charged! I'm having a baseless and light-hearted internet "argument" over things that I really don't care about.. It's winter!

In other news, I really should keep a balance sheet in 2019 - just to dispel myths and urban-legends.

dbnm
Lots of first world problems here.

charliedid
I blame most of this on their awful website.

What's so awful about it?

Real question. My only gripe is that I have to choose my country every damn time even if I am logged in. If that is easily toggled with a check box I can't find it.

Clean39T
12-28-2018, 11:08 AM

It's an internet forum for custom bike enthusiasts - is anything we discuss not a 1-percent-er problem?

makoti
12-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Medium.

Sent you a PM

spinarelli
12-28-2018, 12:56 PM
People still buy Rapha? There are so many other great cycling clothes from smaller companies.

adub
12-28-2018, 12:59 PM

All my problems are first world.

R3awak3n
12-31-2018, 08:33 AM
for the haters...

they just sent an email with added products... 3 products in the core line ahhahah they trolling you guys :banana:

unterhausen
12-31-2018, 08:50 AM
they have a website?

charliedid
12-31-2018, 10:58 AM
for the haters...

they just sent an email with added products... 3 products in the core line ahhahah they trolling you guys :banana:

:p

makoti
12-31-2018, 02:09 PM
People still buy Rapha? There are so many other great cycling clothes from smaller companies.

They still fit & feel great. Sorry to disappoint you.

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 02:59 AM
I have never bought Ratza
never will
but I am a born outcast

So weird how polarizing Rapha is.
It’s kit to ride a bicycle in.
It’s all I wear but I think very little about how to mock and ridicule other brands when I do.

TREEfool
01-01-2019, 07:09 AM
I have never owned anything from Rapha but considering the fact that I go to their website and want things that other brands carry for half the price just proves that advertising affects everyone even if we don't think it does.

oldpotatoe
01-01-2019, 07:19 AM
I have never owned anything from Rapha but considering the fact that I go to their website and want things that other brands carry for half the price just proves that advertising affects everyone even if we don't think it does.

Ahh, that speaks 'volumes'.:eek:

That proves it ehh? Guess you have never been on Assos website? :)

These threads are interesting..Rapha, Apple anything, even Glock for the gun guys...auto 'I hate it cuz' responses.

R3awak3n
01-01-2019, 07:35 AM
After ridding in the cold everyday for the past week, and the temp was like 19 degrees one morning and average probably 28, I noticed that I had a lot of rapha winter gear and maybe other brands have gear that is as good but I was super impressed with what I had. I was never cold, super comfortable stuff and I bought everything on sale or used which means I did not spend an arm and a leg for good gear.

The winter windblock jersey is so freaking good that I would consider buying it full price.

The funny thing is there are other good brands out there and they cost the same price. Some don't ever even go on sale.

oldpotatoe
01-01-2019, 07:44 AM
After ridding in the cold everyday for the past week, and the temp was like 19 degrees one morning and average probably 28, I noticed that I had a lot of rapha winter gear and maybe other brands have gear that is as good but I was super impressed with what I had. I was never cold, super comfortable stuff and I bought everything on sale or used which means I did not spend an arm and a leg for good gear.

The winter windblock jersey is so freaking good that I would consider buying it full price.

The funny thing is there are other good brands out there and they cost the same price. Some don't ever even go on sale.

But, but, but:eek:...yup, reality, what a concept..

CNY rider
01-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Rapha... what to do?
The advertising and the attitude make me queasy.
But I love their bibs. So I buy them. And then go ride my bicycle.

makoti
01-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Rapha... what to do?
But I love their bibs. So I buy them. And then go ride my bicycle.

But first you come on here & rag on them for their advertising & attitude, right? Otherwise, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Hilltopperny
01-01-2019, 09:56 AM
I typically buy used or when the sale prices reach a point where I'm willing to buy. The deep winter bib tights and winter jerseys especially the wind block have me capable of riding in sub freezing temperatures comfortably and I like my brevet bibs and jersey in the warmer months.

Ultimately the market will decide if the sale is any good and they may go back to drastically reduced prices next year. I picked up most of my stuff on sport pursuit for at least 35-50% off.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 12:51 PM

I mean yeah, it sucks that they invest in putting together beautiful films like Cicerone, Outskirts, etc, and then actually give back and invest a ton in cycling by sponsoring cross (a money pit if there ever was one), focus heavily on womens cycling, and having cycling clubs with a bazillion more events (meet the makers, intro to riding for newbs, guest speakers, holiday events, whatever) and rides than your local shop.

CNY rider
01-01-2019, 03:10 PM
I mean yeah, it sucks that they invest in putting together beautiful films like Cicerone, Outskirts, etc, and then actually give back and invest a ton in cycling by sponsoring cross (a money pit if there ever was one), focus heavily on womens cycling, and having cycling clubs with a bazillion more events (meet the makers, intro to riding for newbs, guest speakers, holiday events, whatever) and rides than your local shop.

You are aware that two different people can view the same advertising material and have different reactions to it?
Is that a problem for you?:fight:

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 03:40 PM
You are aware that two different people can view the same advertising material and have different reactions to it?
Is that a problem for you?:fight:

Why don’t you go ahead and explain what it is about their advertising and marketing that forces you into such a visceral reaction?

dbnm
01-01-2019, 04:18 PM
hmmmm.

CunegoFan
01-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Why don’t you go ahead and explain what it is about their advertising and marketing that forces you into such a visceral reaction?

Gotta love Rapha fanboys who cannot understand that not everyone has their self identity wrapped up in Rapha's phony lifestyle marketing like they do.

But, hey, if Walmart clothing works for you then go for it.

CNY rider
01-01-2019, 06:08 PM

This is a bizarre obsession you have.
If I told you I don't like certain aged cheeses, would you demand an explanation why or just accept it as a matter of taste?

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Gotta love Rapha fanboys who cannot understand that not everyone has their self identity wrapped up in Rapha's phony lifestyle marketing like they do.

But, hey, if Walmart clothing works for you then go for it.

lol you dork. The Walton nerds are heirs to a fortune, not proprietors. Come on, do better with bad insults.

Ill demonstrate the false equivalence again, just for you. If you're lucky, you'll achieve your goal of getting me banned or warned or something.

I wear Rapha, yet find myself not hating on anyone else's marketing, communications, etc. even though almost all of it is a direct ripoff of what Rapha spent years doing when no one cared. Why do Rapha haters find it so hard to reciprocate? Ultimately there is some sort of weird, ulterior agenda probably predicated on inferiority. I dont give Isadore or Eliel or any other brands a negative thought. I hope they're successful, but lets not pretend any of them, not a single one, are pioneers in any sense. At the very least, in a sea of Festina and neon team-influenced kit, rapha did bring it all back to basics. For better or worse.

Personally, as a super clydesdale, I think it's all great. I look nothing like anyone in any Rapha ad, so to me, the unfettered (and also unexplained) hate for their marketing is comical. They've done more for propelling cycling culture than any of us ever will, and they're also just a clothing brand. My understanding of both of those facts seems far more evident and reality-grounded than people that constantly have lean in with droll commentary about their "fake marketing" (sorry, Simon only rides something like 7500k per year and attends RCC riding events around the globe).

You can pony up and be in for it, and laugh at people like you, or you can front as though you're some weird fake "cut from a different jib" type when really all you're doing is being contrived because it's convenient. Rapha could go away tomorrow. I'd find different clothes to wear, and people like you would still manufacture something about another brand to bitch about.

e-RICHIE
01-01-2019, 06:18 PM
Rapha could go away tomorrow. I'd find different clothes to wear, and people like you would still manufacture something about another brand to bitch about.

Sums it up nicely.
Fully agreed.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):eek:
;);):rolleyes:
:);):cool:

livingminimal
01-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Sums it up nicely.
Fully agreed.

ps

arrange disorder

Its january and I owe you an email.

m4rk540
01-01-2019, 08:32 PM
It's more than marketing. Also, I don't get the hate and I don't get the love. Is it possible that most of us here are in that same middle ground. I remember my first business trip to New York. I kept thinking "everyone wears a stylish uniform here." And, now, years later, when I roll into my preferred 3rd Wave coffee shop and see 6 guys wearing variations of the same Rapha jersey and bibs, I have a similar thought. Thing is the guys in Rapha around here are in their 20s and that almost makes sense...to me.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2019, 06:40 AM
Rapha could go away tomorrow. I'd find different clothes to wear, and people like you would still manufacture something about another brand to bitch about.
Sums it up nicely.
Fully agreed.

ps

arrange disorder

Agree also...some products just 'do that' for some people..geez..it's clothes to wear when yer riding yer toy..or it's a thing aginst your ear to call yer mama, or a thing to put holes into paper targets..

I have an idea(radical!!)..if you don't like_____, don't buy it and don't look at their advertising...:eek:

chiasticon
01-02-2019, 08:25 AM
There's no bait and switch. If there is a bait, it's that learned consumer behavior from the last 3-4 years that Rapha will throw everything on sale during the sale, incentivizing people to just wait for the sale and not buy at the full price.which is fine. and they have every right to do so. I just don't like the way they're doing it. at worst, it's a bit dishonest. at a minimum, I get annoyed before I can even find anything I want to buy, and just leave the site. they should just not have sales if they want to get people to pay full price.

the bait and switch issue is that their website is arranged in such a way that you'll see, for example, pro team bib shorts at $192 (instead of $275) with the four icons underneath the main photo, indicating which colors are available. click the link, and only one of those four colors is actually discounted (other three are full price) and in that color, no sizes are available. so...they've discounted something they don't even have, with the hope that you'll pay full price for the other colors. seems pretty bait and switchy to me. the other move they'll do here is the one color that actually is discounted will have one size available, and it's usually XS. something that will take a while to actually sell out of (how many amateurs can fit XS rapha pro team kit?), hence guaranteeing this sale item stays in the list for a while.

now, as mentioned, it could be because their website sucks. but it could be that they're doing it intentionally. they used to only put things on the sale page that were actually available. if those pro team shorts were made in four colors but only one was on sale, that's all they'd show. and clicking the link would take you to a page where you couldn't even see the other color options, only the sale ones. that's way less annoying and dishonest.

CunegoFan
01-02-2019, 09:54 AM
which is fine. and they have every right to do so. I just don't like the way they're doing it. at worst, it's a bit dishonest. at a minimum, I get annoyed before I can even find anything I want to buy, and just leave the site. they should just not have sales if they want to get people to pay full price.

the bait and switch issue is that their website is arranged in such a way that you'll see, for example, pro team bib shorts at $192 (instead of $275) with the four icons underneath the main photo, indicating which colors are available. click the link, and only one of those four colors is actually discounted (other three are full price) and in that color, no sizes are available. so...they've discounted something they don't even have, with the hope that you'll pay full price for the other colors. seems pretty bait and switchy to me. the other move they'll do here is the one color that actually is discounted will have one size available, and it's usually XS. something that will take a while to actually sell out of (how many amateurs can fit XS rapha pro team kit?), hence guaranteeing this sale item stays in the list for a while.

now, as mentioned, it could be because their website sucks. but it could be that they're doing it intentionally. they used to only put things on the sale page that were actually available. if those pro team shorts were made in four colors but only one was on sale, that's all they'd show. and clicking the link would take you to a page where you couldn't even see the other color options, only the sale ones. that's way less annoying and dishonest.

Have you not bought anything online in the last few years? This is standard practice now. You can no longer click on product X at $Y and expect the size or color you want will cost $Y. Yeah, it sucks, but it is everywhere.

I don't like shopping at Amazon anymore because the prices are displayed ranges; if you go out of your way to click the product then what you want invariably seems to be at the high range, which is usually full price. The featured Google links for products show prices that often only apply to an off-color or off-size.

dbnm
01-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Have you tried to sort items based on size to see what is available?

chiasticon
01-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Have you tried to sort items based on size to see what is available?yes. it doesn't remove the regular priced items, it leaves them available on the "sale" page. see below, and note the displayed color is not on sale, in any size. the available sale colors are blue (XS only) and orange (all sizes out of stock). shown here: https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/pro-team-training-jersey/product/PTT01XXYEL

in other words, it just goes: "hey we do have a medium of this, and here it is! it's not on sale in any way and we know you're in the sale section, but whatevs..."

http://i64.tinypic.com/11lh7c9.jpg

dbnm
01-02-2019, 12:47 PM
I think you guys need to ride your bikes more

livingminimal
01-02-2019, 12:51 PM
I think you guys need to ride your bikes more

I went to ride this morning and couldnt find my lights.
I went running instead.
Might explain why Im grumpy.

In all seriousness, I think what Rapha is presently doing with these sales is purposeful, and kind of ****ty. I am in agreement with my friend chiasticon here that the intent is a luring of sorts, and that seems a bit uncouth, and at the same time, feels like a ****ty standard practice in this world.

That said, a decent amount of XL and XXL, but all I've picked up are the Arenberg Pro glasses and some shoe covers, both purchased with credit I had. Anyone tried them yet?

Mzilliox
01-02-2019, 01:00 PM
all stocked up on isadore whos most proud moment of 2018 was supporting their 2 favorite local charities. if im gonna put overpriced lycra on my ass, its gonna help a few kids at the very least. vote with your wallet if you can afford to, vote with your actions if you cant afford to vote with your wallet

pasadena
01-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Rapha raised over £1Million for Autism and has supported AfAutism for years.
They organize rides and support local events worldwide that benefit charities and grassroots cycling.

There are several cycle clothing companies that do charity work. Attaquer is another that organizes for charity benefit.
I will assume Assos has done some work in that regard but I'm not sure.

This thread is so ridiculous. No company owes you a sale price.
If you don't like the advertising or website, don't visit it.
Their retail model is no different nor unusual compared to any other clothing retailer.

The idea that Rapha isn't passionate about cycling and trying to disparage a company just because they don't have what you want on sale is comically sad.

Clean39T
01-02-2019, 01:41 PM
There's a whole spectrum of opinions and reactions here.

I actually like the Rapha stuff I have, and have no problem with them as a company, or their ethos - or anything else.

I just think the combination of their less-that-straightforward marketing of sales and user-un-friendly site could be improved...

I hope all bike brands do better fiscally in 2019...and take market share from golf and other worthless pursuits ;)

TheseGoTo11
01-02-2019, 01:42 PM
This thread is so ridiculous.

Five pages!

livingminimal
01-02-2019, 01:45 PM
all stocked up on isadore whos most proud moment of 2018 was supporting their 2 favorite local charities. if im gonna put overpriced lycra on my ass, its gonna help a few kids at the very least. vote with your wallet if you can afford to, vote with your actions if you cant afford to vote with your wallet

Speaking as someone with an autistic brother, with these parameters we both made decisions to be proud of in 2018.

livingminimal
01-02-2019, 01:46 PM
I hope all bike brands do better fiscally in 2019...and take market share from golf and other worthless pursuits ;)

I’ll drink to that, man. (And also build housing on every golf course.)

jpritchet74
01-02-2019, 01:49 PM

Agreed!

R3awak3n
01-02-2019, 02:50 PM
lets close this and stay away from bashing rapha till at least the 5th of January

pdmtong
01-02-2019, 11:40 PM
Some pieces work GREAT
Some pieces SUCK

Some pieces you need to be shaped like a pencil (froome); others, being an upside down triangle with shoulders is ok.
Sizing is all over the place. where else can I, at 5'10 172 be a Medium or a large or a XL?

The city stuff works really well for shorter bike commutes
Pro team if it fits is awesome

On sale is the only way.
Insider tip: plenty of things on sale not listed on the sale tab. Just found something I wanted for 50% off.

Their website is terrible.

Been buying over ten years. the few times I contacted customer service for help they went above and beyond.

chiasticon
01-03-2019, 06:19 AM
This thread is so ridiculous. No company owes you a sale price.to be 100% clear: this is NOT my issue. I literally do not care that I can't buy what I want on sale; in fact, I only visited the sale out of boredom. my gripe is just their method of bait and switching sale goods with non-sale goods. am I upset? no. a little annoyed I keep clicking into these traps? yes. enough to not buy anything from them? also yes. (and I own a LOT of Rapha.)

pdonk
01-03-2019, 08:01 AM

Doing my part to make this happen. (as per what is your job thread)

eippo1
01-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Not much to add to this, but I do like certain items - a lot. Such as their hardshell jacket can take it out way cooler weather than one would expect for such a lightweight item.

However, as many have said, there are plenty of alternatives that have better pricing. I've been impressed by Le Col, which has some real sales.

And I suggest that everyone should always keep an eye on the yearly Zanconato team clothing thread made my Texmarket (usually organized by StephenCL). Seriously amazing prices for kit that works really, really well; looks fantastic; and supports a team.

pdmtong
01-03-2019, 01:37 PM
my gripe is just their method of bait and switching sale goods with non-sale goods
I agree with you completely. Stop co-mingling the full-price pieces with the sale pieces. If chartreuse is on sale, that's the only color I should see.

And put ALL the sale pieces in one place instead of most in the sale tab but a smattering of others scattered buried in the category tabs.

R3awak3n
01-03-2019, 01:39 PM
I agree with you completely. Stop co-mingling the full-price pieces with the sale pieces. If chartreuse is on sale, that's the only color I should see.

And put ALL the sale pieces in one place instead of most in the sale tab but a smattering of others scattered buried in the category tabs.

I think everyone agrees with this. Ultimately their site sucks and they should fix it. Finding stuff is crap, they always have the archive and very hard to find, ect.

And this has been the weakest sale so far, they are definitely changing their ways

makoti
01-03-2019, 02:11 PM
All I want to know is what the heck is the difference between "mitts" and "gloves"? Same price, look the same...

R3awak3n
01-03-2019, 02:48 PM
I thought a mitt was like a lobster style glove or 4 fingers together... maybe picture is wrong?

MisterMurray
01-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Off Topic: What's the deal with this Isadore brand? This thread is the first I've ever heard of them. Took a look and looks like decent stuff. Lot's of wool, which i really like.

Where'd they come form ?

jemoryl
01-03-2019, 03:05 PM
All I want to know is what the heck is the difference between "mitts" and "gloves"? Same price, look the same...

Might be due to the difference between British and US usage: sometimes they refer to what we call gloves as mitts (even the no-finger summer types). Or at least that is what I've noticed from other UK sites

makoti
01-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Might be due to the difference between British and US usage: sometimes they refer to what we call gloves as mitts (even the no-finger summer types). Or at least that is what I've noticed from other UK sites

I figured something like that, but on the US site, same "gloves" are also available as "mitts" for the same price. Odd.

From Road.CC article about why we wear gloves: "For many cyclists, gloves (and we’re talking about short finger mitts here) are as essential as padded bib shorts and a cycling jersey."
I'm going with someone pulled the UK site info, changed the currency & didn't bother with the rest. How un-Rapha like.

pasadena
01-03-2019, 11:54 PM
Off Topic: What's the deal with this Isadore brand? This thread is the first I've ever heard of them. Took a look and looks like decent stuff. Lot's of wool, which i really like.

Where'd they come form ?

created by Peter and Martin Velits
protour cyclists
Martin was part of the Wolfpack and retired from QuickStep last year

Isadore does well in Asia

savechief
01-04-2019, 01:13 AM
I don't dislike Rapha, actually have a few things from them (love the merino warmers). But I do agree that their website sucks. Here's an example:

Went to rapha.cc
1) Clicked the magnifying glass to search
2) Typed "brevet long sleeve jersey"
3) Returned 466 products, almost all of which do *not* contain "brevet long sleeve jersey" in the name of the item
4) Clicked the first return, which showed a dark blue brevet long sleeve jersey, normally priced at $190, reduced to $95
5) After click, three colors shown: Teal (no sizes available), Carbon Grey (only XS available), Dark Navy (only XS and S available)

Went to rapha.cc
1) Clicked "Men's Sale" right in the middle where is says "Final Reductions, Save up to 50% in the Rapha Sale"
2) Only one result for Brevet Long Sleeve Jersey, this one shows normally $190, reduced to $104.50
3) After click, three colors shown, none of which are the same as what I found above. There is a Dark Green (all sizes available), Dark Navy/Hi-Vis Pink (all sizes available) and Hi-Vis Pink (all sizes available).

Why does the Brevet Long Sleeve Jersey in Teal, Carbon Grey and Dark Navy that is discounted from $190 to $95 not show up when you go directly to the sale section? When you go to Shop --> Men's --> Jerseys, both discounted versions (the $190 discounted to $95 and $190 discounted to $104.50) show up.

Other random complaints...
1) Often times, you can specifically click on something Men's (Men's --> Archive Sale, Shop --> Mens') and end up with a bunch of women's clothes in the results.