PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record/Chorus skeleton brakes: silver or black?

galgal
12-26-2018, 08:31 PM
So, my Colnago Spiral Conic is having its Eurus wheels replaced with Shamal Mille. And I've been mulling over whether to change the silver Chorus brakes it has - older non skeletal version, dual pivot in front, single in rear. Nothing wrong with them, aesthetically or functionally. And yes, a Master looks great with silver C-Record. This still has a silver Colnago Prescia fork, silver Record HS, silver 3T quill stem and Cinelli Giro bars, and a SR fluted seatpost. But I have replaced the drive train with carbon Record 11 shifters, FD, RD and Chorus crank. Left the Chorus silver brakes for purely aesthetic (and nostalgic) reasons. But would the black skeleton brakes be better with Mille wheelset? An aesthetic question for the most part, as shaving off a few grams is not that important. What you folk think?

Clean39T
12-26-2018, 09:59 PM
So, my Colnago Master is having its Eurus wheels replaced with Shamal Mille. And I've been mulling over whether to change the silver Chorus brakes it has - older non skeletal version, dual pivot in front, single in rear. Nothing wrong with them, aesthetically or functionally. And yes, a Master looks great with silver C-Record. This still has a silver Colnago Prescia fork, silver Record HS, silver 3T quill stem and Cinelli Giro bars, and a SR fluted seatpost. But I have replaced the drive train with carbon Record 11 shifters, FD, RD and Chorus crank. Left the Chorus silver brakes for purely aesthetic (and nostalgic) reasons. But would the black skeleton brakes be better with Mille wheelset? An aesthetic question for the most part, as shaving off a few grams is not that important. What you folk think?Try the change, go back if you don't like it...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ERK55
12-26-2018, 10:49 PM
Try the change, go back if you don't like it...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Seems like the most logical reply.

thirdgenbird
12-27-2018, 12:54 AM
The pre-skeleton has more tire clearance so keep that in mind.

Without pictures, I am tempted to say stay silver. You still have a fair bit of silver parts on the bike. I would be tempted to install the new wheels using silver record or chorus skewers from the 10spd era just to keep things tied together. Keep the black/carbon to the functional upgrades. Leave what you can classic.

galgal
12-27-2018, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys, makes sense. No pics, as haven't installed Mille yet. Waiting on a Campy freehub and brake pads.

ultraman6970
12-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Which bike are we talking about?

Steel always looked better IMO with silver groups.

old_fat_and_slow
12-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Can't make aesthetic recommendations without pics. :rolleyes:

galgal
12-27-2018, 11:02 AM
Can't make aesthetic recommendations without pics. :rolleyes:

Quite true. Only pic I have on hand is this one. Not particularly clarifying but better than nothing, yes:) Colnago SLX Conic. This is pretty much the current set up, only difference being it now has a silver Campy SR seatpost instead of Nitto pictured. The Eurus wheelset is being replaced by Shamal Mille wheels, and since I am having to wait for a couple of parts to install, just started wondering about the brakes.

Tompho
12-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Silver brakes in this frame.

AngryScientist
12-27-2018, 11:27 AM
if you are going to keep the silver seatpost and stem, silver brakes are the right answer, IMO

notsew
12-27-2018, 12:32 PM
Sliver crank would look good too...

old_fat_and_slow
12-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Since you already have a lot of black components on it, I would probably go with black. However, that bike would look best with all silver components considering the chrome forks, chain stay, and silver stem and seat post.

ultraman6970
12-27-2018, 12:59 PM
Actually I would do white saddle and white handlebar tape.

galgal
12-27-2018, 01:29 PM
Interesting ideas! Admittedly, bike did look better with all silver group, but the 11sp does make it ride nicer and a little lighter. Silver cranks are no go, as I don't like how Potenza/Athena 11sp cranks look (IMO).
Ultra - white saddle and bar tape! Hmmm.

pdmtong
12-27-2018, 01:29 PM
just change the wheels and make no other changes. I think the mille will allow the silver and the paint to pop more. it will look superb.

thirdgenbird
12-27-2018, 06:12 PM
if you are going to keep the silver seatpost and stem, silver brakes are the right answer, IMO

Agreed.

I still vote silver record/chorus skewer too.

FlashUNC
12-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Keep what you got on there. Both colors of skeleton brakes are a total pain to clean, unlike the pre-skeleton ones.

galgal
12-27-2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks, all. The consensus seems to be silver brakes, so will roll with what I got. Do have SR skeletons (white and red label) on C40 and C59 but will stick with these on this bike. The idea of silver skewers is interesting but with the Mille? Besides, the skewers are actually the only correct thing I got with the wheels, given that freehub and pads were both for Shimano :)
And pdmtong, that is indeed the hope.
just change the wheels and make no other changes. I think the mille will allow the silver and the paint to pop more. it will look superb.

pdmtong
12-28-2018, 01:34 AM
And pdmtong, that is indeed the hope.

take a look at my Vanilla in the gallery (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101347) ... while my light dark contrast is more pronounced due to the darker paint and white saddle/tape, the idea of dark lower hemisphere (crank, wheels) and silvery/light upper hemisphere (brakes, post, stem) tracks along the same lines as how I think your colnago will reveal.
the polished fork you have IMHO makes it "case closed" for the silver brakes.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101347

Waldo
12-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Depends on the color of the frame and the rest of the components...

Waldo
12-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Quite true. Only pic I have on hand is this one. Not particularly clarifying but better than nothing, yes:) Colnago SLX Conic. This is pretty much the current set up, only difference being it now has a silver Campy SR seatpost instead of Nitto pictured. The Eurus wheelset is being replaced by Shamal Mille wheels, and since I am having to wait for a couple of parts to install, just started wondering about the brakes.

Now that I've seen the photo -- silver.

C40_guy
12-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Is that Spiral Conic yours as well? How would you compare the Spiral Conic to the Master?

My first Colnago was an '89 Spiral Conic, which I purchased in 2000. Built it up and rode it for a number of years as my daily driver, now it's semi-retired. Current DD is a C50.

I picked up a '94 Master Olympic but haven't built it up yet...I'm wondering how it will compare to the Spiral Conic (with similar Record 10 compact group).

Thanks!

galgal
12-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Is that Spiral Conic yours as well? How would you compare the Spiral Conic to the Master?

My first Colnago was an '89 Spiral Conic, which I purchased in 2000. Built it up and rode it for a number of years as my daily driver, now it's semi-retired. Current DD is a C50.

I picked up a '94 Master Olympic but haven't built it up yet...I'm wondering how it will compare to the Spiral Conic (with similar Record 10 compact group).

Thanks!

The Master presents nicer IMHO. As for ride, I can't tell the difference TBH. I believe the Spiral Conic is designed to be a little stiffer with a slightly bigger downtube with 8 grooves/seams.

galgal
12-28-2018, 01:45 PM
take a look at my Vanilla in the gallery (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101347) ... while my light dark contrast is more pronounced due to the darker paint and white saddle/tape, the idea of dark lower hemisphere (crank, wheels) and silvery/light upper hemisphere (brakes, post, stem) tracks along the same lines as how I think your colnago will reveal.
the polished fork you have IMHO makes it "case closed" for the silver brakes.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101347

Oh my, that Vanilla is very very beautiful!