PDA

View Full Version : DC guys, need some assistance

glepore
12-26-2018, 07:37 PM
My stepdaughter and her Aussie bf are touring the east coast over the next 2 weeks, and we've agreed to meet them in DC and host dinner. I'd do minibar, but probably can't get in, and really don't want to drop 750 on dinner. So, what is a) killer good and b) within striking distance of Amtrak or Amtrak/Uber and c) mortal affordable?

TIA

ultraman6970
12-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Downtown train station is full of small restaurants... but if you guys like chinese and have time you guys are not far from chinatown... hope you like chinese.

THe only thing you need to do is to jump to the red line and get off in chinatown or just walk there... 15 to 20 mins maybe?

stev0
12-26-2018, 08:06 PM
I haven't been, but I know Oyamel, Jaleo, Rasika, and China Chilcano are quite popular, and in the same neighborhood as minibar. My vote would be to go to Thip Khao, but that's maybe just out of striking distance from Union Station.

Bentley
12-26-2018, 08:18 PM
It’s not near Amtrak but a short Uber away. Great food and wine and good vibe

Ray

Spaghetti Legs
12-26-2018, 08:26 PM
It’s been a couple of years but Zatinya near the MCI Center or whatever they call it now is good.

Daraja64
12-27-2018, 08:27 AM
Union Station isn’t walking distance to much except Bistro Bis, which is nice but not exceptional, and Charlie Palmer Steak. Penn Quarter is about 10 blocks away and full of delights. There’s also Convivial near the convention center and Masseria north of the station. I continue to hear raves about Maidan, but reservations can be tough. Good luck!

RobJ
12-27-2018, 08:43 AM
Monocle has received good reviews, standard menu and fairly close to Union Station. I have not personally been there to comment though. And yes, Charlie Palmer's if you are looking for steak.

DCilliams
12-27-2018, 09:05 AM
I live a few blocks from Union Station; I'd second Rasika, Oyamel, and add Proof, Estadio, Rose's Luxury (fairly pricey), Ethiopic, Daikaya-Ramen, Fig&Olive, Maketto, etc.

zennmotion
12-27-2018, 09:18 AM
I'll make it easy-- Rasika!

adrien
12-27-2018, 09:19 AM
It’s been a couple of years but Zatinya near the MCI Center or whatever they call it now is good.

This. Higher-end Lebanese food; lovely mezze plates and very good vibe. Depending on timing can be loud / busy.

Nearby in Center City is fantastic Japanese / Noodle place called Momofuku which is very trendy, amazing and decently priced food. Get the mushroom buns if you go: https://ccdc.momofuku.com

glepore
12-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks all!

Liberace
12-27-2018, 09:58 AM
It’s not near Amtrak but a short Uber away. Great food and wine and good vibe

Ray

Agree! Great place to eat.

RobJ
12-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Agree! Great place to eat.

Is this the same Barcelona that is also in the Reston Town Center?

DCilliams
12-27-2018, 10:11 AM
I would only caution that Barcelona is a bit of a "scene" (perhaps not during holidays); Estadio tends to be lower key. Both are excellent.

tctyres
12-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Also, getting around once at Union Station is easy.
I was at Pappe Indian near Logan Circle recently and can recommend. Short uber or metro ride. On the same sort of level as Rasika (DC guys can correct me, of course).

djg
12-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Rasika is a long walk, short cab ride, or easy metro from Union Station — excellent, and something of a bargain, given the quality of the cooking. Fiola is close by (close to Rasika, that is) but more expensive.

Less fancy, but good, and still distinctive are Oyamel and Jaleo (both Jose Andres outposts on 7th).

fixieporteur
12-27-2018, 04:11 PM
+1 for Rasika, Oyamel, and Jaleo for good value and lots of good beverage options across price ranges.

+1 for China Chilcano for an inimitable Asian/Peruvian fusion, although slightly higher prices, IIRC.

Bentley
12-27-2018, 05:03 PM
This. Higher-end Lebanese food; lovely mezze plates and very good vibe. Depending on timing can be loud / busy.

Nearby in Center City is fantastic Japanese / Noodle place called Momofuku which is very trendy, amazing and decently priced food. Get the mushroom buns if you go: https://ccdc.momofuku.com

The Ramen is the bomb but near impossible to get a table. If you like Ramen, there are a lot of good places that rival Momofuku. That said if you can get a table it’s worth the effort

Ray

Slamcarneyson
12-28-2018, 09:34 AM
+++1 for Ethiopic. Especially if you're in DC eating Ethiopian is required and this place is up there on the list.

ORMojo
12-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Lots of good suggestions here, including several of my favorites. I'll be back in D.C. for a couple of weeks about 10 days from now!

I have to second Thip Khao! Not the closest suggestion to Union Station, but an easy Red Line - Green Line Metro ride, or Uber, or walkable depending on weather (in summer, I like walking back from Thip Khao to my Capitol-area hotel during the evening light).

Have fun! And hopefully they already have their tickets to the African American Museum of History and Culture (which, by the way, IMO ties with the American Indian Museum for best museum food . . . anywhere!). Unfortunately, all Smithsonian facilities (including the National Zoo) will close down as of January 2nd if the gov't "shutdown" is still in effect.