PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Gravel Kings tubeless

stackie
12-26-2018, 06:17 PM
So,

I got a new bike. Unfortunately some timing issues separated the pieces of the build and the builder did not mount the 650 x 38 gravel king tires. I had all the pieces shipped to shop so they could finalize for me before a trip (too many new things to figure out without much time before a trip).

My mechanic who I think is pretty good, said the gravel kings were not the tubeless version since they did not have the letters TLC on sidewall. He tried to set up tubeless anyway. So he popped some tubes in and moved on. No problem.

I mentioned to builder who said he would order a pair of tubeless 650x38 for me but they came without the TLC on sidewalk as well. He checked product numbers and they are the same. He called Panaracer who said the 650x38 doesn’t have the TLC on sidewalk but can be set up tubeless.

This is all new to me as I usually just fire up the old Mastik and glue on tires. I feel uncomfortable going back to mechanic and asking him to try again without some sort of additional info on how to make this work. I guess I can call panaracer myself and ask for tips. But I thought I check with the Illuminati here for any tips.

Thx

Jon

ergott
12-26-2018, 06:32 PM
I've called Panaracer about that and heard the same thing. They didn't have all the TLC tires labeled in the last batch but they were in fact tubeless. I run the 650bX42s myself.

nublar
12-26-2018, 06:38 PM
Set it up yourself.

00. Install tubeless tape. Would not recommend gorilla tape unless you have no other option.
0. Put in 650B tubes, pump up to 50-60 psi, leave for 48 hours to stretch out bead.
1. Remove tubes
2. Install valve stems
3. Seat beads using floor pump, CO2 cartridge, and/or compressed gas
4. Remove valve stem cores
5. Add sealant
6. Reinstall valve stem cores
7. Pump up to desired PSI and ride.

R3awak3n
12-26-2018, 07:32 PM
I know the 32mm ones are not TLC but the others are (as far as 700c goes)

Hilltopperny
12-26-2018, 07:41 PM
I've set the 650b 38 up tubeless without issue on Enve AM and 650b 48 to my Reynolds ATR with an air compressor to seat the tire and then added sealant and the valve core without any issue.

What rims are you trying to run and is there any tubeless tape out of place? I have only had issues setting them up when the rim tape wasn't sealing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jzm
12-26-2018, 08:00 PM
I've set the 650b 38 up tubeless without issue on Enve AM and 650b 48 to my Reynolds ATR with an air compressor to seat the tire and then added sealant and the valve core without any issue.

What rims are you trying to run and is there any tubeless tape out of place? I have only had issues setting them up when the rim tape wasn't sealing.

Looking to do the same but are these Gravel Kings the non-SK version?

sg8357
12-26-2018, 08:01 PM
I have the 700c 38mm TLC brown side walls, they are black rubber inside,
presumably extra sealing for tubeless.

Hilltopperny
12-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Looking to do the same but are these Gravel Kings the non-SK version?Non SK version. The 38mm were the older version and still set up without any issues once the tape was secure.

Spdntrxi
12-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Set it up yourself.

00. Install tubeless tape. Would not recommend gorilla tape unless you have no other option.
0. Put in 650B tubes, pump up to 50-60 psi, leave for 48 hours to stretch out bead.
1. Remove tubes
2. Install valve stems
3. Seat beads using floor pump, CO2 cartridge, and/or compressed gas
4. Remove valve stem cores
5. Add sealant
6. Reinstall valve stem cores
7. Pump up to desired PSI and ride.

good timing... I was just installing GKSKs (700x35c) on some HED Ardennes LT's.. and first time soapy water failed for me. They are sitting with tubes as I type.

jzm
12-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Non SK version. The 38mm were the older version and still set up without any issues once the tape was secure.

Great! Thanks for the info. :)

stackie
12-26-2018, 09:02 PM
My rims are Light Bicycle carbon.

Ya. I think I will just try it myself. I need to learn the system anyway. I don’t like not know how my stuff works.

Thanks for the push and the tips. 😊

Jon

BassoBry
12-27-2018, 04:58 PM
What were his issues on the initial setup? I wouldn't worry about feeling uncomfortable bringing it back to him.

scoobydrew
12-27-2018, 06:26 PM
good timing... I was just installing GKSKs (700x35c) on some HED Ardennes LT's.. and first time soapy water failed for me. They are sitting with tubes as I type.

Interesting the soapy water method didn't work out. I've been meaning to try out the GKSKs as well. How many layers of rim tape? Floor pump or compressor?

Spdntrxi
12-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Interesting the soapy water method didn't work out. I've been meaning to try out the GKSKs as well. How many layers of rim tape? Floor pump or compressor?

They seated today... with no water. So less then 24hrs with tubes in them to stretch them out....
1 layer of rim tape
Floor Pump (dual chamber)

ready for the weekend trails :)

jzm
01-09-2019, 07:35 AM
Finally got my tires - a pair of GK (non-sk) in 650x38.
Both are labelled as Panaracer Gravel King, but only one is labeled as TLC. The other one doesn't have the TLC label, but it has PACENTI on the sidewall.
The inner material of both tires seem similar in "tackiness?" Externally, tread patterns are the same. Weights are different though 330 vs 310, the TLC being the heavier (due to a tubeless inner liner?)
I'm aware that there is some sort of connection between Panaracer and Pacenti, just curious if anyone has had a similar experience or can share more info on this. Really want to run tubeless but now I'm not so sure if one of the tires is compatible.
Thanks!

peanutgallery
01-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Get a compressor, tubeless in moments...not hours

Hakkalugi
01-09-2019, 08:04 AM
I’ve had good luck with the 650b and 700c GKs, both SK and smooth. I moved the 650s to a new set of wheels and fought with them a bit as they had stretched and wouldn’t quite seat, but a 2” cam strap and air compressor solved the problem. I also put in Stan’s Race Day to help seal, and they’ve held air for a week. These tires are great on both pavement and dirt, and wear incredibly well. The cam strap trick works pretty well due to the small buckle footprint, wider straps seem to work better in my experience.