PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Paint Match

Jmaxwel8
12-26-2018, 10:42 AM
This question has been asked several times, so I am hoping someone here might have specific information for me. In the next week I am sending my Colorado II to the painter.

I have checked the 91 and 92 catalog and they list the color as magenta/orange. I would like to match the paint as close as possible so I was wondering if anyone might have specifics on the colors used.

I have looked at many many pictures on the internet and every single example of the bikes I have seen have faded well past magenta (to be expected with the neon colors)

Any help would be appreciated.

Bentley
12-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Any good painter can get a paint match. There is a “machine” that actually does this, my guy says that a skilled painter can get the “rest of the way there” my a hand match. If the painter is a pro should not be something to worry about.

I had a friend that had his 20 yr old Sachs matched perfectly, a little blend job that you cannot tell where the touch up was done.

Plenty of things to worry about, this ain’t on the list. 😁😁

Plum Hill
12-26-2018, 11:25 AM
The “machine” needs a flat area to scan. It won’t work on a bike frame or fork.

Tony
12-26-2018, 11:31 AM

Several years ago someone painted six very large tree trunks white in our neighborhood. I was able to take bark that was thick and not at all flat and have Home Depo match the color of the bark perfectly.

Bentley
12-26-2018, 12:38 PM

My painter says that a “skilled” operator can get good results. Likely not the job for the counter guy at your paint supplier. 😁😁

SPOKE
12-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Bill McDonald, bmacspaintworks@gmail.com. Bill was the Serotta painter that laid down bunches of color at the factory.

Plum Hill
12-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Bill McDonald, bmacspaintworks@gmail.com. Bill was the Serotta painter that laid down bunches of color at the factory.

Having dealt with him two years ago, I would not recommend him.

Rafa
12-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Having dealt with him two years ago, I would not recommend him.

FWIW, Bill just respayed my Legend to same paint scheme as original, did a great job. (Not to turn this into a BMac thread.)

happycampyer
12-26-2018, 02:58 PM
I had HotTubes paint my CSi in that paint scheme, and they did an excellent job. Iirc, they actually contacted Bill McDonald to see if he recalled the paint codes, and he didn’t. And btw, I had originally contacted Bill about the respray, and he didn’t want to do it because the neon paints aren’t stable. HotTubes acknowledged as much, too, and I will say that the magenta has already started to fade in areas.

Jmaxwel8
12-26-2018, 03:39 PM
I had HotTubes paint my CSi in that paint scheme, and they did an excellent job. Iirc, they actually contacted Bill McDonald to see if he recalled the paint codes, and he didn’t. And btw, I had originally contacted Bill about the respray, and he didn’t want to do it because the neon paints aren’t stable. HotTubes acknowledged as much, too, and I will say that the magenta has already started to fade in areas.

How long did it take to begin to fade?

happycampyer
12-26-2018, 04:30 PM
Not long, really. I dropped it off at the shop to be built, and left it for longer than expected. It started to fade a bit along the toptube while it was there. It wasn’t even in direct sunlight, but I guess it was exposed to indirect sunlight. At home I have since kept it indoors out of direct/indirect sunlight, and it hasn’t faded any more. As a precaution, I only ride it on overcast days—I call it my “cloudy day” bike. Fwiw, every painter I spoke to who was even willing to paint the frame warned me that fading was an issue/inevitable. Several painters weren’t even willing to paint it (Billy Mac, Velocolour and maybe one other).

Jmaxwel8
12-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Not long, really. I dropped it off at the shop to be built, and left it for longer than expected. It started to fade a bit along the toptube while it was there. It wasn’t even in direct sunlight, but I guess it was exposed to indirect sunlight. At home I have since kept it indoors out of direct/indirect sunlight, and it hasn’t faded any more. As a precaution, I only ride it on overcast days—I call it my “cloudy day” bike. Fwiw, every painter I spoke to who was even willing to paint the frame warned me that fading was an issue/inevitable. Several painters weren’t even willing to paint it (Billy Mac, Velocolour and maybe one other).

That is crazy... I would have never thought it would fade in that short of a period of time.

David Kirk
12-26-2018, 04:42 PM

Yep - if anyone knows it's Bill.

dave

happycampyer
12-26-2018, 05:04 PM
That is crazy... I would have never thought it would fade in that short of a period of time.

I’ve read stories about bike shops that put them in shop windows bitd against Serotta’s instructions, and the paint faded terribly. I know someone local to me who had a frame painted entirely in the neon pink color, and he ended up having it repainted within a year. Granted, he rode it a lot in direct sun, and may have kept it indoors where sunlight could reach it. He certainly didn’t baby it.

Jmaxwel8
12-26-2018, 05:21 PM
I’ve read stories about bike shops that put them in shop windows bitd against Serotta’s instructions, and the paint faded terribly. I know someone local to me who had a frame painted entirely in the neon pink color, and he ended up having it repainted within a year. Granted, he rode it a lot in direct sun, and may have kept it indoors where sunlight could reach it. He certainly didn’t baby it.

I just had a chance to read the thread on your build. It looks great. So going back would still have it repainted? Also have you tried any preventative steps like wax to at least help some? From what I read it probably doesn't help much, but maybe I can get some advice to help delay the inevitable. At least when they fade they are still cool looking.

Luckily I will be able to store my bike in a dim area and there are other bikes I can ride so at least I can do that.

happycampyer
12-26-2018, 09:36 PM
If I were starting over, I would definitely do it again. The colors are so vibrant and fun. I haven’t bothered putting any protective coating or wax on it, but maybe in the spring.