PDA

View Full Version : best carbon TA fork for fat tires?

d_douglas
12-24-2018, 02:00 PM
I am just thinking about a gravel-type bike that I am planning on having built and would like some input. The builder is very accomplished and has a unique style. He builds his own forks that can accommodate any tire size desired and I am leaning towards having a steel fork made.

That said, his forks are CRAZY expensive and are obviously heavier than a carbon fork, so I am just weighing the pros and cons

What is the latest and greatest in terms of 15mm (or 12mm?) through-axle forks on the market (or coming to market in the next year)? I want it to be 395mm or so and have clearance for 27.5"x 2.2" tires (as well as for CX tires, but that is easy). I would prefer flat-mount calipers.

Easton? TRP? Columbus? Whisky? ENVE? Parlee?

sparky33
12-24-2018, 04:22 PM
TRP and Parlee are quite nice but top out at about 650x50mm clearance. The Enve cx has tons of room and the 3T has even more.

fwiw the Enve rides the nicest IMO

livesadventure
12-24-2018, 04:39 PM
I’d recommend the Rodeo Labs Spork. The new version that they just released clears a huge tire (I think 29 x 2.1) and had all sorts of trick features like all the mounts you’d ever need and internal dynamo routing even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
12-24-2018, 05:23 PM
not cheap but you can buy the OPEN up fork. Flat mounts, TA 12mm, pretty damn light. Just another option

d_douglas
12-24-2018, 06:07 PM
I’d recommend the Rodeo Labs Spork. The new version that they just released clears a huge tire (I think 29 x 2.1) and had all sorts of trick features like all the mounts you’d ever need and internal dynamo routing even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Rodeo Labs one is actually pretty dead on. Are these good quality? They look a bit goofy, but also very practical.

I think I am being a name-brand sucker by thinking I want an ENVE or 3T or similar, right?

R3awak3n
12-24-2018, 06:53 PM
People seem to like the trail donkeys and if you want mounts, you cant go wrong