PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of getting a motobecane MTB

mtechnica
12-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Component wise they seem like a way better deal than any other new bikes I can find, and even used bikes for that matter.

I am confident in the quality of Motobecane frames - but how are they regarded in the MTB world?

As far as I see it - and I don't know anything about mountain bikes - the components seem more important than the frame itself unlike road bikes. Agreed or no?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/29er-mountain-bikes/fly29-gx12spd-eagle-29er-mountain-bikes.htm

23lb GX eagle hardtail for $1600

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/hal29-nx-eagle-full-suspension-29er-mountainbikes.htm#gsize

25lb NX eagle FS for $1800

belopsky
12-23-2018, 01:50 PM
There’s no particular reason for you to think that frames don’t matter in the mtb world

clyde the point
12-23-2018, 01:54 PM
Just bought a HAL 6 for my wife. And sold on the used bike market the Hardtail 29’er that I bought her from BD about 10 years ago. I Changed a few parts on the Hardtail especially brakes but overall that’s going to very dependable bike it was a Kinesis frame. We haven’t had a ride on the HAL6 yet so that remains to be seen. For the amount she rides every kind of riding that she likes to do it’s probably perfect.

old fat man
12-23-2018, 01:57 PM
What do you intend to do with it? That hardtail isn't much better than a monster CX bike. Super narrow tires, a suspension fork best suited to gravel roads and people weighing less than 150lbs, and narrow handlebars by current standards. That's how they're keeping the weight down. Couldn't find much about geometry but I doubt it's the slacker, long and low that's nice for real mtb trails.

I'd spend $600 more on a specialized camber or a canyon hardtail instead.

duff_duffy
12-23-2018, 01:57 PM
I’m a bike snob and would spend $1600 on a used MTB any day of the week from a more popular brand before getting this. No real reason though, just what I’d do with my money and I like finding deals on used market.

Red Tornado
12-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Never bought from BD myself but have friends who did, several actually. All have been happy with their purchase. May swapped a component or two but left mostly as is. If I found the right setup at the right price, wouldn't rule it out for myself.
Might want to change those tires on the hard tail to something a little more aggressive tho.

mtechnica
12-23-2018, 02:21 PM
I'm a relatively strong ~175lb rider doing lots of climbing / descending rides. I'm not suggesting the frame doesn't matter it's just hard to imagine how different an aluminum frame could be on a bike with a suspension.

My absolute max budget is 1800, I'd prefer a modern 1x drivetrain and a good serviceable fork - full suspension would be ideal.

I'm just not seeing a lot of good deals on the used market. The best deal I've found so far is a cannondale f-si 2 carbon for $1750 but it's full of proprietary parts. Everything else I can find is either a 27.5 which I don't want or over my budget which is a hard budget. Not to mention a used MTB is a bit of a gamble IMO.

I'm open to learn and hear suggestions. One new bike I could possibly get is a santa cruz chameleon but the build specs are bad compared to the motobecane.

Also I don't care about what tires it comes with as I can change them, and I already have a cross bike with 42c tires and it's NOT adequate for MTBing IMHO although I do it anyways.

CunegoFan
12-23-2018, 02:44 PM
I think it is hard to go wrong with a hard tail. As long as the geometry checks out for you then it comes down to components so why not BD.

As far as a BD FS goes, I don't know. The suspension design plays such a huge part that I would not want to buy a FS bike without a test ride.

I would be very leery about buying a used FS MTB. Too many people think nothing extreme on their mid travel means no drops over six feet. The endurobros beat the hell out of their bikes.

mtechnica
12-23-2018, 02:47 PM
I think it is hard to go wrong with a hard tail. As long as the geometry checks out for you then it comes down to components so why not BD.

As far as a BD FS goes, I don't know. The suspension design plays such a huge part that I would not want to buy a FS bike without a test ride.

I would be very leery about buying a used FS MTB. Too many people think nothing extreme on their mid travel means no drops over six feet. The endurobros beat the hell out of their bikes.

I'm starting to agree it's a better plan to just go with a hardtail. Less to go wrong and I don't think I can get anything I would want as far as FS within my budget.

The question is what should I be looking at now...

peanutgallery
12-23-2018, 02:48 PM
Tire clearance is limited in the rear end
Head angle/drop/stack is wrong
Non-boost rear
No drooper post
Suspect frame quality and rear suspension design

Parts kits are fine, except for the Ritchey bits

No such thing as something for nothing...especially in specialty retail. Just an opinion

jtbadge
12-23-2018, 02:54 PM
The Chameleon is the prototypical modern hardtail. Killer geometry, super solid frame, all the features one would need (boost, hydro, thru, long fork, dropper), and 29 or 27.5+. Get that.

mtechnica
12-23-2018, 03:01 PM
The Chameleon is the prototypical modern hardtail. Killer geometry, super solid frame, all the features one would need (boost, hydro, thru, long fork, dropper), and 29 or 27.5+. Get that.

It looks nice. Anything I can look out for on the used market? What about a couple year old trek superfly, or a niner?

jtbadge
12-23-2018, 03:18 PM
It looks nice. Anything I can look out for on the used market? What about a couple year old trek superfly, or a niner?

The Kona Explosif hits all of the modern points besides boost and 27.5+ - one of the earliest production bikes with the current slack HTA/short chainstay/120mm+ travel theory.

I also have one for sale in Los Angeles (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=229920&highlight=kona+explosif).

Salsa El Mariachi, Niner SIR9 or AIR9 are solid choices with more of an XC geometry and are probably easy to find for a good deal as riders move towards more progressive designs.

Jaybee
12-23-2018, 03:20 PM
I’ve had BD bikes (road and CX) that were fine for what I wanted them to do, so I’m not reflexively dismissing these.

I have no experience with the FS, and suspension kinematics/linkage design is pretty important for full-sus bikes. Without a ride to understand how it pedals, I would pass. It might be fine, but no way to know.

The hardtail is inherently simpler. Off the top, I’d want a wider bar (hopefully the hoses are long enough to accommodate this) wider rims and wider and more durable tires. The tires are nice, but they are Pro XC racer spec, not normal dude riding on trails spec. Not sure on the clearance but any hardtail that can’t take 29x2.6 is a no go for me.

Beyond the things that can be modified with component swaps, the 72/70 seat/head angles are ... not modern? We all rode 29er XC hardtails with this geo just 10 years ago, and most of us didn’t die. But a more progressive geo feels a lot more stable, doesn’t give up much in the nimbleness department, and if you are new to MTB, stable is nice. If I were buying new, and planning some upgrades in the future, I also wouldn’t get a MTB that didn’t take 148 rear hubs. Geometry benefits of Boost aside, it’s hard (and will be getting harder) to find 142 spaced rear wheels. A 110 front/142 rear wheel set is really uncommon. Just planning against a future headache when you want 30mm rims and 2.4 tires.

The drivetrain/fork/brakes/cockpit (‘Cept the narrow bar) are all fine, and a good deal for the money, but if it were me ( or I was buying a first bike for a friend), I’d recommend the Chameleon or keep looking. You can always upgrade the chameleon if you really like MTB, and you can sell it without taking a total bath if you don’t. Ever try to resell a BD bike?

mtechnica
12-23-2018, 04:18 PM
The Kona Explosif hits all of the modern points besides boost and 27.5+ - one of the earliest production bikes with the current slack HTA/short chainstay/120mm+ travel theory.

I also have one for sale in Los Angeles (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=229920&highlight=kona+explosif).

Salsa El Mariachi, Niner SIR9 or AIR9 are solid choices with more of an XC geometry and are probably easy to find for a good deal as riders move towards more progressive designs.

I’ve seen that Kona in the classified and it’s really nice, but I’m looking for 29” wheels :banana: still tempting anyway though hmmm

mtechnica
12-23-2018, 04:30 PM
I guess so far the chameleon is in the lead but I’ll have to see how much I can get one for since it’s already at my max budget even without tax... none to be found used. I guess I’d like the modern slack geometry.

Any thoughts on superflys?

skiezo
12-23-2018, 05:51 PM
I would look on pinkbike for a slightly pre owned. I was always told buy right the first time and you wont have to buy a second time.
There are some nice rigs on there in any frame material you are looking for. Here are a few examples.
BTW I love my steel hardtail.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2478977/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2406088/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2469887/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2468501/

Ralph
12-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Everyone I know who knew what they were doing....and bought from BD....were pleased with their purchase. And most were Motobecanes.

Kirk007
12-23-2018, 11:50 PM
the reviews on the Motobecane mtb bikes aren't bad. But Pinkbike is a good source. I'd look for a used ti hardtail like a Lynskey Ridgeline. Indeed I picked up a 2017 frame with XTR/XT 10 speed, Mavic carbon wheels, rigid carbon fork etc, etc for 1600. Picked up a close out 2017 Fox 34 fork - total investment was around $2200 so a little over your budget but if I sold the carbon wheels and rigid fork, and picked up something like Mavic crosstrail wheels I'd probably be under $1800 and have a bike that was a bit more up to date with modern thinking etc.

mtechnica
12-24-2018, 12:08 AM
I've never used pinkbike but I'll look around on there to see what's what. Getting a higher end titanium bike sounds appealing so maybe I can get lucky and find something fancy.

At the moment I'm kind of obsessing over the chameleon though - mostly because it looks cool and has a lifetime warranty on the frame. The 27+ option is starting to sound more appealing if it makes it easier to sit and spin up climbs. It sounds like everyone that has one loves it...

Other reasonable options sound like:

Salsa timberjack (doesn't look as good as the chameleon)
Kona big honzo (looks alright, but some people say it's harsh riding?)
Specialized fuse (meh)
Niner air 9 (no opinions on this one)

nmrt
12-24-2018, 12:08 AM
i know you at at a max budget of 1800. stretch it by a bit, and you'll have a GREAT hardtail. great HT and ST angles, great frame that takes 2.6 in tires!!

https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-DV9-NX-Bike-2019

mtechnica
12-24-2018, 03:17 AM
i know you at at a max budget of 1800. stretch it by a bit, and you'll have a GREAT hardtail. great HT and ST angles, great frame that takes 2.6 in tires!!

Too expensive :eek:

Also, the commencal meta HT AM looks interesting. Possibly overkill but then again it could be good :confused: It's relatively cheap too at $1600 considering it has a pretty good fork.

skiezo
12-24-2018, 06:53 AM
What would be your intended use for the bike? What type of roads will you be riding on? Will it be mainly fire roads and double trak? or more single track and lots of off camber riding and fast rough downhill?
That would dictate to me what bike I would want. I have been through the whole gamut and FS is really overkill for my use.
I have a stell HT w/front susp. And have another steel HT with a rigid fork.
I am thinking the rigid/rigid will be getting alot of use. The older I get the more it is about the ride and not the glory.

Jaybee
12-24-2018, 09:24 AM
I've never used pinkbike but I'll look around on there to see what's what. Getting a higher end titanium bike sounds appealing so maybe I can get lucky and find something fancy.

At the moment I'm kind of obsessing over the chameleon though - mostly because it looks cool and has a lifetime warranty on the frame. The 27+ option is starting to sound more appealing if it makes it easier to sit and spin up climbs. It sounds like everyone that has one loves it...

Other reasonable options sound like:

Salsa timberjack (doesn't look as good as the chameleon)
Kona big honzo (looks alright, but some people say it's harsh riding?)
Specialized fuse (meh)
Niner air 9 (no opinions on this one)

These are all fine options. It sounds like you are meh on the big S, but the fuse is a great bike. So is any variety of Honzo. Great geo - it's hard forr me to imagine any bike with 3" tires being "harsh"

Have you seen this? https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-hardtail-mountain-bike

belopsky
12-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Trek roscoe 8

mtechnica
12-24-2018, 01:46 PM
What would be your intended use for the bike? What type of roads will you be riding on? Will it be mainly fire roads and double trak? or more single track and lots of off camber riding and fast rough downhill?
That would dictate to me what bike I would want. I have been through the whole gamut and FS is really overkill for my use.
I have a stell HT w/front susp. And have another steel HT with a rigid fork.
I am thinking the rigid/rigid will be getting alot of use. The older I get the more it is about the ride and not the glory.

A little bit of everything. The biggest thing is I climb a lot, so I need something that will make it up hill, but more importantly, be very strong (comfortable, controllable, forgiving) riding downhill since that's my weakest area.

Right now it's between the Chameleon and the Meta HT I think :eek: I'm just worried the Meta might be too enduro for XC riding.

peanutgallery
12-24-2018, 05:02 PM
Unless you're racing there's no such thing as too enduro

A little bit of everything. The biggest thing is I climb a lot, so I need something that will make it up hill, but more importantly, be very strong (comfortable, controllable, forgiving) riding downhill since that's my weakest area.

Right now it's between the Chameleon and the Meta HT I think :eek: I'm just worried the Meta might be too enduro for XC riding.

Tony
12-24-2018, 05:18 PM

Too expensive :eek:

That's a nice bike. Offer them $1800, they may just do it for you, serious.

KVN
12-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Components are cheap. I mean even med/low end mtb stuff is really solid.

Invest in a good frame and fork and upgrade as needed.

nmrt
12-24-2018, 06:55 PM
yep. just ask the jenson guys. they might give you some kind of deal. the dv9 is just the bike for you after reading what you intend to do with it. :)i know it is going to be my next mtb bike. :-)https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-DV9-NX-Bike-2019

mtechnica
12-24-2018, 08:28 PM
I actually have a friend at Jenson but I didn’t know you can just make offers on new bikes lol, I’ll see what he thinks and try to get a price on a chameleon too. You guys think the ibis is better than the commencal or Santa Cruz?

Clean39T
12-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Unless you're racing there's no such thing as too enduroIs this the corollary to #supple_life on the road?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FierteTi52
12-24-2018, 10:28 PM
I’m a Santa Cruz fan, I own a 5010c and highly recommend the Chameleon, great bike offered in 3 build levels, 27.5 or 29er, and includes a lifetime warranty on the frame. Colorado Cyclist has a decent inventory and a discount that applies in your cart at checkout.

mtechnica
12-24-2018, 10:48 PM
I’m a Santa Cruz fan, I own a 5010c and highly recommend the Chameleon, great bike offered in 3 build levels, 27.5 or 29er, and includes a lifetime warranty on the frame. Colorado Cyclist has a decent inventory and a discount that applies in your cart at checkout.

There’s a discount? Are you sure? I should look into that. If I can get a good deal on a chameleon I very well might go for the 27.5+, though the commencal is more and more tempting with that sweet fork!

peanutgallery
12-24-2018, 11:30 PM
Correct

Merry Xmas

Is this the corollary to #supple_life on the road?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

peanutgallery
12-24-2018, 11:35 PM
20% off one full price item...coupon popped up

That's a proper hardtail

I have a fuse that I kinda like. Go to a specialized store, there's a deal on the carbon comp to be had

FierteTi52
12-24-2018, 11:40 PM
There’s a discount? Are you surely ? I should look into that. If I can get a good deal on a chameleon I very well might go for the 27.5+, though the commencal is more and more tempting with that sweet fork!

Yes there is a discount, I was on the CC website today trying hard to resist a Chameleon for myself. Add the bike to your cart and at checkout the is a button to click on to check for discounts. Price will be reduced in your cart. Regarding the fork, the Commencal does have a nice fork. The Chameleon R build has the Fox Rhythm 34, an oem only offering. The fork is what I have on my 5010 and it works great. I don’t know much about the Rockshox fork on the Chameleon D build. Good luck, you may pay a little more for a SC but they are great bikes with good resale.

FierteTi52
12-24-2018, 11:45 PM
20% off one full price item...coupon popped up

That's a proper hardtail

I have a fuse that I kinda like. Go to a specialized store, there's a deal on the carbon comp to be had

Jenson’s 20% discount doesn’t work on most items including the recommended bike.

peanutgallery
12-24-2018, 11:50 PM
Than what's the point?

Stupid skynet

Jenson’s 20% discount doesn’t work on most items including the recommended bike.

mtechnica
12-24-2018, 11:57 PM
Yes there is a discount, I was on the CC website today trying hard to resist a Chameleon for myself. Add the bike to your cart and at checkout the is a button to click on to check for discounts. Price will be reduced in your cart. Regarding the fork, the Commencal does have a nice fork. The Chameleon R build has the Fox Rhythm 34, an oem only offering. The fork is what I have on my 5010 and it works great. I don’t know much about the Rockshox fork on the Chameleon D build. Good luck, you may pay a little more for a SC but they are great bikes with good resale.

Wow thanks for the heads up there is indeed a coupon! This makes things interesting!

Clean39T
12-25-2018, 12:09 AM
Don't forget ActiveJunky.com - 8% cashback at CC, but only 3% at Jenson.

FierteTi52
12-25-2018, 12:11 AM
Trek roscoe 8

The Trek Roscoe 8 is a really nice value below you price range. My neighbor has the Roscoe 7 and it’s a nice bike. The only weird thing is Trek uses a 141mm boost quick release rear hub, not the current standard 148mm Boost through axle.

Hilltopperny
12-25-2018, 05:45 AM
Didn't read through the responses, but if you'd fit an 18.5. I'd gladly sell you my Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL for around the same price. It's a pound or two lighter with carbon wheels and better overall spec!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jaybee
12-25-2018, 08:39 AM
The Trek Roscoe 8 is a really nice value below you price range. My neighbor has the Roscoe 7 and it’s a nice bike. The only weird thing is Trek uses a 141mm boost quick release rear hub, not the current standard 148mm Boost through axle.

I'm currently renting a Roscoe 7 because I didn't want to fly my bike for the holidays. It is a really nice riding bike for the entry level! A word of caution on the hubs though- I've also got a Marin Pine Mtn that uses the same standard, and finding QR-141 wheels is nigh on impossible. You are essentially looking for 148x12 hubs, then hoping to be able to swap the end caps from a 135QR hub. DTSwiss allows this, Hope, maybe a couple others.

Mikej
12-25-2018, 08:44 AM

It’s to get you surfing and used to paying full price fore premium brands.