PDA

View Full Version : Help wit this Merlin

Hawker
12-21-2018, 02:01 PM
I'm looking at this Merlin but the seller knows very little. It is marked at a 49cm but after lots of looking it appears that the geometry may have varied a bit from year to year...and it's the year I still can't ascertain.

Currently on a LOOK 585 XS Omnium with a 50.8 TT. I'm a bit concerned that if this TT is more than 51cm it might not be comfortable. I'm older and don't want to be too stretched out. Also, is this style head tube problematic as far as headset replacement is concerned? Any other thoughts or opinions welcome.

cribbit
12-21-2018, 02:04 PM
That's a pretty standard internal cup headset. If Cane Creek makes a headset plenty of others will make that same spec.

Geometry is a bit more up to you. Can you ask the seller for the exact dimensions? Can you test ride it?

Personally, I find minute frame geometry changes to be overblown. You can easily get the same effects with different seatpost/stem/adjustments.

old_fat_and_slow
12-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Can't the seller just measure the top tube for you? It's not difficult.

That frame uses integrated headsets (the same style headset that is on your Look 585). No fancy tools/presses needed to install or remove them. I don't think too many frames are using integrated headsets anymore (not positive), but if you buy the frame, just check to see whats in there and buy a couple of extra ones for when you need them.

I ride frames in 3 different head tube/ seat tube sizes. Not that big of a deal (for me). YMMV.

Hawker
12-21-2018, 02:43 PM
That's a pretty standard internal cup headset. If Cane Creek makes a headset plenty of others will make that same spec.

Geometry is a bit more up to you. Can you ask the seller for the exact dimensions? Can you test ride it?

Personally, I find minute frame geometry changes to be overblown. You can easily get the same effects with different seatpost/stem/adjustments.

Thanks. Unfortunately it is on the wrong coast from me and the seller isn't a "bike person" Getting exact dimensions has been " within a quarter of an inch or so". Nice person, but doesn't do bike-speak. I've owned a few bikes and a 49cm isn't necessarily a 48cm with a shorter stem. Particularly when reach and front center are different.

C40_guy
12-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately it is on the wrong coast from me and the seller isn't a "bike person" Getting exact dimensions has been " within a quarter of an inch or so". Nice person, but doesn't do bike-speak. I've owned a few bikes and a 49cm isn't necessarily a 48cm with a shorter stem. Particularly when reach and front center are different.

Maybe have a friend or forum member do a local inspection and take good measurements...

I had an original Cambridge-built Merlin ExtraLight. Wonderful bike.

weisan
12-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Make the best decision possible based on available information.

ultraman6970
12-21-2018, 04:23 PM
https://www.bikyle.com/MerlinGeom.htm

Wheelbase in merlin is long, too long for my taste probably to avoid toe overlapping so their bikes can sell better. Dont like slow handling so... but here are the tables for different models, compare with the look you have...

Hawker
12-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys. And weisan, thanks much for the Geo sheet.

I've spoken with the owner, but they are unwilling to ship. I think I'm going to let this one go.

Blown Reek
12-22-2018, 12:36 PM
I really have no comment other than the downtube has a heck of a compound miter.

Hawker
12-22-2018, 01:23 PM
I really have no comment other than the downtube has a heck of a compound miter.

Yea, I imagine the 45 and 47cm are pretty much the same. Nice work.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2018, 06:50 AM

I've spoken with the owner, but they are unwilling to ship. I think I'm going to let this one go.

That's too bad..all it takes is a dropoff at a decent LBS that does that and some $...

cribbit
12-23-2018, 09:08 AM
That's too bad..all it takes is a dropoff at a decent LBS that does that and some $...

Last time I did that the guy at the LBS stole my deal and bought it instead.

Burnette
12-23-2018, 09:48 AM

Oh wow, that's my size and I have a soft spot for Merlins. I'm on the same coast as you so that's not good! Ha!

Bummer you have to pass on it. It's hard for us height impaired folk to land certain bikes and this one is awesome. Thanks for the pics though.

Hawker
12-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Yea, I checked into that but they weren't interested in working with me. It might be tad too large, Christmas, etc....so I'm going to pass on it. Thanks.

Hawker
12-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Yep, I tried that but then weren't interested in working with me to make that happen.

Oh wow, that's my size and I have a soft spot for Merlins. I'm on the same coast as you so that's not good! Ha!

Bummer you have to pass on it. It's hard for us height impaired folk to land certain bikes and this one is awesome. Thanks for the pics though.

Agreed. Finding something nice in the 45-49cm sizes doesn't happen that often, you kinda feel you have to jump when you see them. That said, I think the tt is just a tad too long and I've done the 80mm stem thing in the past and hated it...so probably best. It is sweet though. ;)

cribbit
12-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Where is it? A paceliner could probably help out.