PDA

View Full Version : anyone ride LW wheels?

Climb01742
11-17-2006, 02:23 PM
does anyone here have/ride a pair of lightweights? thoughts, impressions, opinions? danke.

Serotta PETE
11-17-2006, 02:29 PM
I have some Hyperion Tubulars which are great. No problem with them but they do not have many miles on the.

But for my riding they are like a blind man driving a Ferrari in Manhattan..waste of product!!!!

Jack Brunk
11-17-2006, 02:41 PM
They are terrific. Stiff, light and amazingly very stable in windy conditions compared to other deep dish wheels that I ride. Their expensive and when compared to say the Reynolds DV UL wheels, I would go for the reynolds. You can buy two pairs of Reynolds UL's when compared to one set of Lightweights for the same cost.

Lightweight is a German company and I have had some difficulty in dealing with them but once we got the bugs worked out it been much better. Zero components is the US dist and they are a pleasure to deal with. Check with Obtuse and see if he has a pair to try.

Jack

Climb01742
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Climb,

I am thinking about ordering a pair myself as I recently started selling them I think I will go with the Standards using the 16/20 spoke count... The Obermayers look to be the ultimate in aerodynamics, stiffness and weight... about 100 grams less than the Standards... ridiculous technology.

Fstrthnu

here's an interesting take on the spoke count, from the folks at cc.com:

"Lightweight offers their Standard wheelset in 12, 16, or 20 spokes on the front wheel, and 20 spokes on the rear. They are available in tubular only. Lightweight wheels do not have a weight limit. A heavy rider can ride a 12-spoke front without concern for the durability of the wheels. Lightweight does, however, have suggested weight ranges in terms of providing optimum performance. Since the primary virtue of Lightweight wheels is their stiffness, the weight recommendations for their wheels outline at what body weights a top level rider will find ideal stiffness under racing conditions.

The 12-spoke front is ideal for riders who are determined to shave every last gram and every last bit of aerodynamic drag off their bike. It's an awesome climbing wheel, and it has the softest ride quality of any Lightweight wheel. In combination with the Standard 20-spoke rear the wheelset total is 1120g. Lightweight believes the stiffness characteristics of their 12-spoke front is best actualized by riders at or below 176lbs.

Lightweight tells us that the 16-spoke version is preferred by most pros for all-around use. Its added stiffness results in more precise cornering, and you'll see it used most frequently by the pros on the rough cobbles of Belgium or the mountain stages of the large tours. In combination with the Standard 20-spoke rear the wheelset total is 1130g. Lightweight believes the stiffness characteristics of their 16-spoke front is best actualized by riders at or below 198lbs."

Climb01742
11-17-2006, 02:48 PM
You can buy two pairs of Reynolds UL's when compared to one set of Lightweights for the same cost.

jack, how does the ride of the two compare? i have a "special" bike i'm daydreaming about outfitting. thanks.

swoop
11-17-2006, 02:56 PM
fstrnthnu,

have you ridden that tune saddle you're sellin?. the shape looks rad but i can't imaging doing 100something k sans padding. the site is looking good...

shoot, there's a team forming outhere that's actualy paying.. it's bahati's deal through a guy that used to race and has more money than god... haldane morris is running it.... i think they have a spot left.

you should email rahsaan asap if you're moving out here.. tell him i told you about team rock (use my real name). pm me if you need his info...

swoop.

fstrthnu
11-17-2006, 02:57 PM
I would use the 16/20 Standards in a flat TT just as soon as I would use them in a hill climb TT or a road race for that matter and I weigh 150 pds "race weight".

Fstrthnu

fstrthnu
11-17-2006, 03:05 PM
fstrnthnu,

have you ridden that tune saddle you're sellin?. the shape looks rad but i can't imaging doing 100something k sans padding. the site is looking good...

shoot, there's a team forming outhere that's actualy paying.. it's bahati's deal through a guy that used to race and has more money than god... haldane morris is running it.... i think they have a spot left.

you should email rahsaan asap if you're moving out here.. tell him i told you about team rock (use my real name). pm me if you need his info...

swoop.

Swoop,

I had one of the Concorde Carbon's set aside for my Calfee but let it go to to a customer who wanted in on the spot. I think I will go with the Tune Speedneedle anyways... Thank you for noticing the changes on my site though!

I already signed for next year... I am rolling HARD! 14K a year dream :rolleyes: SOLID.

Fstrthnu

Jack Brunk
11-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Climb,

The LW's ride better but I'm not sure if their twice as good compared to their cost. If it's a bling bike, go for the LW's. My new Pinarello Paris carbon that Obtuse just sent me is getting a set of UL's. Both of my sets of LW's weigh within 1 gram of each other(1144gms nd 1145gms). I have three sets of UL's and they weigh around 1125gms. Both LW sets are 16/20 spokes.

Jack

zank
11-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Climb, there are tons of threads over on the weight weenie forum. Just do a search for Lightweight Wheels or LW Wheels.

It goes without saying that they are some of the coveted pieces of kit on the planet. Everyone from the road guys to the cross guys want them.

Here is the virtual shrine.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10108&highlight=pros+lightweights

The Spider
11-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Climbo,

I suggest heading over to weight weenies, Lightweights are the official club membership over there and everyone is very helpful.

Carbonsports posts there as well. Not many people have ridden the generation II model by the sounds of things...although it sounds like ride is the same (stiffness increase of 10% I believe, weight reduction, able to be identified through 4 stickers on each side of the rim)

by the sounds of all reports....they are brilliant.

best of luck!

The Spider
11-17-2006, 04:09 PM
d@mn it! beaten by Zank, again!

my mind was at the same speed...his fingers are faster though!

zank
11-17-2006, 04:23 PM
my fingers are probably the only things faster than you, Spider-pal. I'm sure your legs would give me a whoopin!

swoop
11-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Swoop,

I had one of the Concorde Carbon's set aside for my Calfee but let it go to to a customer who wanted in on the spot. I think I will go with the Tune Speedneedle anyways... Thank you for noticing the changes on my site though!

I already signed for next year... I am rolling HARD! 14K a year dream :rolleyes: SOLID.

Fstrthnu

dood, that's 2k over the livin' the dream ceiling!

saab2000
11-17-2006, 05:32 PM

Fstrthnu

Kewl! You earn almost as much as a First Year F/O at an airline! (I am not kidding)

fstrthnu
11-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Climb,

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

If you want some Lightweights... let me know. I'll give you the hookup ;)

:beer:
Fstrthnu

Simon Q
11-17-2006, 06:03 PM
They are light and stiff for sure but they the most aerodynamic?

From what I read, spoke shape/count is 2% of aero dynamics whereas, as you would expect rim depth and shape is the vast majority.

LW are a straight V cross section. If you beleive the joint research by Hed and Zipp a rim that has a "bulge" is more aero for a given height than a straight V like the LW's. I have read up on it and it makes sense to me.

As I live in a flat area where I am often riding into headwinds and don't change speed a lot I would prefer 404's, despite the obvious bling/wow factor of the LW's. However, if you are a sprinter or need nutso lightness then LW's might be the go.

Climb01742
11-17-2006, 06:13 PM
how they ride is also key to me. plus matching wheel stiffness to frame stiffness. a few years ago i tried zipp 202s on a parlee and the wheels took what i loved about the frame out of the ride. that's why fewer spokes might make the LWs more to my taste. but darn, they're a pricey leap of faith. a bit hard to swallow on the price of the zootest wheels. reynolds wheels are easier on the bank account. feels like i'm chasing my tail! :rolleyes:

saab2000
11-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Climb, if you can honestly afford them I would go for them. I have heard they are very durable and the best wheels you can buy will at least feel faster, even if they are not actually faster. My Nucleons sure feel better on the bikes I use them on, compared with my pretty good handmade clinchers. You will notice a stiffness and acceleration difference right away I bet.

If I had a lot of money sitting around, there is no doubt that a set of these wheels, or ones like them, would be on the Meivici I would also own if I had a lot of money lying around.

There is a reason a lot of pros use these wheels and pay for them out of their own pockets.

Sandy
11-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Climb, if you can honestly afford them I would go for them. I have heard they are very durable and the best wheels you can buy will at least feel faster, even if they are not actually faster. My Nucleons sure feel better on the bikes I use them on, compared with my pretty good handmade clinchers. You will notice a stiffness and acceleration difference right away I bet.

If I had a lot of money sitting around, there is no doubt that a set of these wheels, or ones like them, would be on the Meivici I would also own if I had a lot of money lying around.

There is a reason a lot of pros use these wheels and pay for them out of their own pockets.

It seems as if you had a lot of money lying around you would own quite a bike. :)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Sandy$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

musgravecycles
11-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Whatever you do, don't EVER mention LW and ADA in the same thread across the hall on the Weenies forum... :fight:

saab2000
11-17-2006, 06:49 PM
It seems as if you had a lot of money lying around you would own quite a bike. :)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Sandy$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I already feel very fortunate to own the bikes I own! The overall quality of my fleet is superb, by any measure. But we can always dream of better!!

How 'bout a 14 lb carbon bike which is smooth riding, but with good road feel and good geometry? But it means nothing without the legs, and that fitness is lacking at the moment...... :crap:

If I had a lot of money lying around I would also own a Ducati. :D

swoop
11-17-2006, 07:05 PM
they key .. as i've found it.. isn't the money.. it's building your life around having the time.

atmo.

this involves having friends that buy all the fancy stuff but then trade up for the new fancy stuff within weeks, and sell you the old on the cheap. and then if you ride alot you can always work a little sponsorship because you're doing all the miles.

and then before you know it you're single and have nthing but the bike.. but i i digress. :D

LegendRider
11-17-2006, 07:07 PM

Fstrthnu

KBS ATMO

cs124
11-17-2006, 07:08 PM
... reynolds wheels are easier on the bank account. feels like i'm chasing my tail! :rolleyes:

what turns you on?

having 80% of the performance at 50% of the price

or

having the best of the best of the best.

saab2000
11-17-2006, 07:10 PM
they key .. as i've found it.. isn't the money.. it's building your life around having the time.

atmo.

this involves having friends that buy all the fancy stuff but then trade up for the new fancy stuff within weeks, and sell you the old on the cheap. and then if you ride alot you can always work a little sponsorship because you're doing all the miles.

and then before you know it you're single and have nthing but the bike.. but i i digress. :D

You have kind of described my life. Except for the time part. When I got into aviation it was possible to have time and a private life. No longer with the schedules.

But you are 100% right about the time part. That is what is precious. I am fortunate enough to have all the nice stuff I have because of eBay and other classifieds and because of the generosity of others.

Of the three main bikes I have in use right now, almost nothing on those bikes was bought new, except one Record groupset. Otherwise almost all of it showed up used at about 1/3 the price of new.

Single (and not really liking it...), occasional blocks of time to ride, and lots of nice bikes!

swoop
11-17-2006, 07:25 PM
it's funny.. a few years ago i set up my life to make a little less and have more time. it's still about balance.... and at times i could use a little more... but usually i'm in the sweet spot. i could also work longer/harder.

i was thinking about combining forces and doing cycle-ology. maybe taking dudes out for 1 hour spins and some counseling at the same time. i could help them develop a little bit on their bikes, do light therapy and bring them in the office for the deeper stuff... and get paid to do recovery rides all at the same time.

guys that can't sit there an open up seem to do it naturally on their bikes (to me). maybe it's the lycra.

we'll see.

in the meantime.. trying to fit 20 something hours of base in every week.. just try and get strong enough to maybe be able to hold thurlow's wheel in a break... is sort of a lot to ask of myself.

saab2000
11-17-2006, 07:27 PM
If you can make money riding your bike, be it winning the Tour or being an 'on the bike therapist' more power to you! :beer:

swoop
11-17-2006, 07:32 PM
what turns you on?

having 80% of the performance at 50% of the price

or

having the best of the best of the best.

but in what percentage of your riding do you get into a situation where you're asking for that 20% extra. frankly i'd buy them cuz they look cool.

72gmc
11-17-2006, 07:51 PM
They're more pimp than I am ever likely to get, Climb. Buy 'em and tell us what they are like. I enjoy your stories.

Saab, a Ducati is a great lust object. But every morning I ride by a shop that has one of these. I think I need this Aprilia. Wouldn't it look great next to a Meivici?

saab2000
11-17-2006, 08:03 PM
They're more pimp than I am ever likely to get, Climb. Buy 'em and tell us what they are like. I enjoy your stories.

Saab, a Ducati is a great lust object. But every morning I ride by a shop that has one of these. I think I need this Aprilia. Wouldn't it look great next to a Meivici?

That's not my kind of motorcycle. Gimme a Ducati 749 and above in their model range. This spring I came sickeningly close to buying one and probably should have instead of my car, which I didn't need. Oh, well.

Next year. Likely. But got some other things I actually need more than a Ducati.

This is what I like.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2004/ducatiModel.jhtml?modelName=749R-04

cs124
11-17-2006, 08:13 PM
but in what percentage of your riding do you get into a situation where you're asking for that 20% extra. frankly i'd buy them cuz they look cool.

me too...

...but some would swing the other way, and that's cool too.

EdK
11-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Climb

Stiffest and fastest feeling wheels you can ride. (never tried ADA's though (hen's teeth)) There is an argument (and well documented on WW) That they aren't the most aero but they sure feel fast. They also are very durable as long as no one sticks a pedal in them. The first time I will disagree with Mr. Brunk though. They are priced at double a Reynolds UV and worth four times as much IMHO.

Swoop

Thurlow's wheel can't be held (at least by a So Ca. master) if he doesn't want it held.

I only mention So Ca because Malcom Elliot did beat him at St Johan this past summer but....

swoop
11-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Climb

Stiffest and fastest feeling wheels you can ride. (never tried ADA's though (hen's teeth)) There is an argument (and well documented on WW) That they aren't the most aero but they sure feel fast. They also are very durable as long as no one sticks a pedal in them. The first time I will disagree with Mr. Brunk though. They are priced at double a Reynolds UV and worth four times as much IMHO.

Swoop

Thurlow's wheel can't be held (at least by a So Ca. master) if he doesn't want it held.

I only mention So Ca because Malcom Elliot did beat him at St Johan this past summer but....

trust me, i've tried. all the sonnance guys are studs. the're just better than i am. i've never done better than 7th in a 30 plus out here... and that was just because i took advantage of a tactical thang. still... i'll train like it's possible.

i haven't seen cee's around here lately... did he move on?

EdK
11-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks Swoop I am very lucky to be a part of that team. We all benefit greatly from having Thurlow as a team mate. Cheers

Climb01742
11-18-2006, 05:22 AM
Climb

thanks for the perspective. and just so you know, your former par-sten (or is it hamp-lee?) is well loved and oft-ridden. thanks for hooking me up. what are you rolling on these days?

Ti Designs
11-18-2006, 07:11 AM
But for my riding they are like a blind man driving a Ferrari in Manhattan..waste of product!!!!

Yeh, but what if there was a blind man living in Manhattan who could afford the Ferrari and just wanted to drive it?

swoop
11-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks Swoop I am very lucky to be a part of that team. We all benefit greatly from having Thurlow as a team mate. Cheers

from what i see.. he's just as lucky to have guys as strong as y'all on his team too. w.la college last year was a massacre.. i was so happy i didn't do that category. i think the only guy i know in a passing way besides thurlow is kk. just because he's friends wih a team mate of mine (sean).

that's the thing about bike racing... you can be this really nice guy and then a half hour later you're tearing someones legs off and beating them senseless en masse. just stompong them so hard that their dead great great grandparents feel it...
and then in the parking lot it's... hey, how's the wife? can i borrow your pump?

is it me or is masters in socal just totally sick/hard sometimes?

EdK
11-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Climbo

Current team ride is an SL Tarmac (not bad) Sunday cafe bike is a VXRS Ulteam (amazing) and have another (correctly sized) Parlee inbound. Glad you like yours! I may be considered an anomaly on this forum but I love carbon bikes.

I can appreciate a '56 Nomad but I would much rather drive an '06 Carrera

Have a good weekend.

EdK
11-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Hey Swoop

Thanks again you are too kind. Everyone on the team has been racing for at least 15-20 years and knows how to race. For the most part can execute a plan as well as improvise on the fly (heck the improvising part is relatively easy with Thurlow)
This group of guys is really amazing most of them are very successful business people (probably explains how than can train so much) that are people you would like to hang out with (confident but not arrogant), again very blessed to be part of it.
SoCa masters races (and NorCa and many other parts of the country) are just as intense as the 1-2 races. They just aren't as long.........

SPINDAWG
11-18-2006, 01:19 PM
I struggled with wheel decisions for my next bike...Dogma FPX and it was a toss up between either the LW's or Campag Boras and ultimately went with the Boras. I checked first in the Protour reviews and it stated that the Bora wheels were more aero and the rear wheel is stronger than the LW. That is one of the reasons alot of the racers in Europe use the LW front wheel only. Being able to fix most of the repairs myself besides sending them to Germany was another reason and plus it is hard to beat Campag hubs.

The finish on the Boras beat the LW's hands down especially on the new Ventouxs...the Boras will set off any top shelf bike!

saab2000
11-18-2006, 01:36 PM
SPINDAWG,

I have seen some of your rides on the other forum.

How do your Boras compare with the other high-end wheels on your other bikes? How do they feel in stiffness?

Climb01742
11-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Sunday cafe bike is a VXRS Ulteam (amazing)... I may be considered an anomaly on this forum but I love carbon bikes.

you and me both. have an ulteam in world champ white about to be built up. can't wait.

SPINDAWG
11-18-2006, 02:12 PM
SPINDAWG,

I have seen some of your rides on the other forum.

How do your Boras compare with the other high-end wheels on your other bikes? How do they feel in stiffness?

I have been aquiring parts for the Pinarello build and only received the Bora Ultras 2wks ago.The first thing I did after taking them out of the wheel bags and wiping the drool off was weigh them and they were 1345 gr. without skewers (767 rear/ 578 front) so they were 132 gr lighter than my Hyperons.

I had a chance to putt around on them after mounting the Veloflex Carbon tubs and they were noticeably stiff and smooth. I can't wait to get these wheels up to speed,that's where the real magic of owning such a high zoot set of wheels take over.

I am really impressed with the quality and finish of these carbon wheels...IMHO they look way better than the LW when side by side..especially when compared with the new carbon lay up of the new Ventouxs.

Sorry, no long term review from me but some pro teams use these wheels for up to 3 seasons or longer..so they have a good reputation...besides these are Campag wheels...I'm not worried.

swoop
11-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey Swoop

Thanks again you are too kind. Everyone on the team has been racing for at least 15-20 years and knows how to race. For the most part can execute a plan as well as improvise on the fly (heck the improvising part is relatively easy with Thurlow)
This group of guys is really amazing most of them are very successful business people (probably explains how than can train so much) that are people you would like to hang out with (confident but not arrogant), again very blessed to be part of it.
SoCa masters races (and NorCa and many other parts of the country) are just as intense as the 1-2 races. They just aren't as long.........
i think we averaged 31 in the 35+ at manhattan beach.. and the pro race was 32. our race was stupid short though...

stevep
11-18-2006, 05:10 PM
you and me both. have an ulteam in world champ white about to be built up. can't wait.

put sora on that thing and save some $$$
the friendly advice forum...
get some photos up, will ya?

zank
11-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Climb, the other thing I keep coming back to about the LWs is, how many other pieces of equipment are pros willing to pay for? Zabel is the only sponsored athlete. Even the Ventouxs that Simunek just used to win a CX WC were purchased (by some German dude that let Radomir borrow them). If all of the pros are buying them and having them rebadged, they must be pretty decent, right?

Give fstrthnu a call and ask him.

Climb01742
11-18-2006, 07:18 PM
a generous soul is hooking me up with some LWs to test...and some other carbon wheels to compare 'em against. nice to have friends like the senor. a report to come.

and stevep, photos to come, too.

Sandy
11-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Climb, the other thing I keep coming back to about the LWs is, how many other pieces of equipment are pros willing to pay for? Zabel is the only sponsored athlete. Even the Ventouxs that Simunek just used to win a CX WC were purchased (by some German dude that let Radomir borrow them). If all of the pros are buying them and having them rebadged, they must be pretty decent, right?

Give fstrthnu a call and ask him.

But those guys race at the highest level, so what they do should not mean too much to 99% of us. They live in another world, in more ways that one.

Sandy

swoop
11-18-2006, 07:32 PM
But those guys race at the highest level, so what they do should not mean too much to 99% of us. They live in another world, in more ways that one.

Sandy

our world is better. we get to choose what we ride.

zank
11-18-2006, 07:39 PM

Sandy

But doesn't the fact that they pay for the wheels speak volumes about their performance? Whether you race at the Pro Tour level or you are trying for a PR up Mt Washnigton, why not have the best possible equipment if you have the means? The Pro Tour riders could have anything for free, and not all of them paid handsomely. For them to shell out for a piece of cycling equipment makes me take notice.

EdK
11-18-2006, 07:54 PM
LW's have a feel that is hard to describe. There is nothing (except ADA) that is as stiff. Many people may not like that but as stated before they feel very fast. Boras are nice (and have a nicer finish) but IMHO do not feel as fast, wind tunnel says they're faster. Ulli's former contract says he can ride any wheels he wants (very rare contract) On mountain stages he road LW's I have no idea if he paid for them but my guess would be probably not. Jorg Ludwig is also sponsored by LW. LW has started to offer amature sponsorship opportunities. If they select you they sell them to you for about 1/2 price.

Climb, a white Ulteam is one of the sexiest bikes out there. You are a lucky man. Mine is a black one. The ride..................

Swoop

MB was pretty swift in the 45's as well....

Sandy
11-18-2006, 07:58 PM
But doesn't the fact that they pay for the wheels speak volumes about their performance? Whether you race at the Pro Tour level or you are trying for a PR up Mt Washnigton, why not have the best possible equipment if you have the means? The Pro Tour riders could have anything for free, and not all of them paid handsomely. For them to shell out for a piece of cycling equipment makes me take notice.

Absolutely! Your point is excellent. For them to be willing to spend that much on the wheels is a great endorsement on the wheels. However, I am a believer that wheel weight and rotating weight...are really overdone here on the forum in what makes a bike go fast.

If one has achieved a genuinely superior level of fitness, has trained properly, understands and uses proper race techniques, possesses the silky smooth pedal stroke of the pros, is at optimal body weight, rides in a position on the bike with great aerodynamic/power balance, eats in a nutritionally sound manner......, then maybe the cyclist is at a level, at which that LITTLE extra that one might gain by using a special wheelset, might make a small difference in how fast a cyclist rides. But that difference is small, even for the pros. But for the rest of us, I think that the tiny gain is trumped big time by the aforementioned factors.

The force needed to make wheels move forward is what compared to the force needed to overcome air resistance (and gravity) of the cyclist and the bike? Not much, I would think.

So how could I get considerably faster? Ride a lot more, with direction and focus. Lose a lot of weight. Develop a significantly better pedal stroke. Obtain a much more powerful and aerodynamic position on the bike....Real light wheels or heavy wheels would make almost no difference, in my opinion.

Spend the money on a coach and forget the light wheels and one could improve so much quicker. That probably applies to 99% of us, even you fast gals and guys.

Sometimes Supersonic Speedy Sometimes Snail Slow Serotta Sandy

EdK
11-18-2006, 08:07 PM
'ummm Climb is a pretty fit guy already and as our friend obtuse has said many time wheels are the ONLY place on a bike you can buy speed.....

He asked about wheels not about a coach. Different thread.

EdK
11-18-2006, 08:12 PM
oops I posted twice, sorry

fstrthnu
11-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Absolutely! Your point is excellent. For them to be willing to spend that much on the wheels is a great endorsement on the wheels. However, I am a believer that wheel weight and rotating weight...are really overdone here on the forum in what makes a bike go fast.

If one has achieved a genuinely superior level of fitness, has trained properly, understands and uses proper race techniques, possesses the silky smooth pedal stroke of the pros, is at optimal body weight, rides in a position on the bike with great aerodynamic/power balance, eats in a nutritionally sound manner......, then maybe the cyclist is at a level, at which that LITTLE extra that one might gain by using a special wheelset, might make a small difference in how fast a cyclist rides. But that difference is small, even for the pros. But for the rest of us, I think that the tiny gain is trumped big time by the aforementioned factors.

The force needed to make wheels move forward is what compared to the force needed to overcome air resistance (and gravity) of the cyclist and the bike? Not much, I would think.

So how could I get considerably faster? Ride a lot more, with direction and focus. Lose a lot of weight. Develop a significantly better pedal stroke. Obtain a much more powerful and aerodynamic position on the bike....Real light wheels or heavy wheels would make almost no difference, in my opinion.

Spend the money on a coach and forget the light wheels and one could improve so much quicker. That probably applies to 99% of us, even you fast gals and guys.

Sometimes Supersonic Speedy Sometimes Snail Slow Serotta

Sandy

Its true... A nice handbuilt steel lugged frame that actually fits is all anyone really needs to go fast... If not steel lugged and handbuilt then at least something that fits and is safe and reliable. The rest is up to how much the rider is willing prepare, commit and then finally... execute. I won by over a minute and a half today on a steel lugged bike weighing 19 pounds, outfitted with $150 clincher wheels. Whatever...

The exotic stuff is cool and I have it on my personal bikes but is only the last 5 percent of the performance equation. It's all in the CONI manual.

Goodnight to all.

Fstrthnu

Simon Q
11-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Singles if you don't have a mechanic to change your wheels sounds like hard work. That has to count for something. I was watching the Herald Sun Tour in Aust recently and Robbie McEwen, Simon Gerrans etc almost all racing on clinchers of some description. Robbie was on what looked to eb at least 28 spoke low profiles. Sure it is their off season and the Boras etc are prob at team HQ in Belgium, France etc but they still went rather fast without them. Singles make for lighter wheels but is the jury out on whether there is difference on rolling resistance with top end clinchers?

Climb01742
11-19-2006, 05:08 AM
to sandy's point: there is no way that i, objectively, "merit" a wheel like a LW. and your points about all the other ways to earn speed are true, oh so true. and given the price/performance equation on LWs or other top carbon wheels, it's tough to swallow. but...

so much of cycling is about our desires. and just wanting to experience things. i don't merit, on talent, any of the bikes i own. but they make me happy out on the road. your points are valid but as so often, desire trumps logic. :p

can't wait to try the zooty carbon wheels. my only experience with them was a pair of zipp 202s a few years ago. yes, they helped make the bike freaky light but messed with the ride characteristics i dug about the frame, so i needed buy 'em. it'll be fun to see if things are different this time around.

Sandy
11-19-2006, 06:52 AM
You are correct, of course, in what you say. My initial post was simply stating that what is significant to the pros is often not very meaningful to the rest of us.

Whatever makes cycling more enjoyable for someone makes it worth it.

JUST DON'T LET THE POTENTIAL PURCHASE TAKE ANY BISCUITS AWAY FROM ED. THEN YOU WILL BE IN REAL TROUBLE FROM ME!!!! :)

:banana: Springer Spaniel Sandy :banana: