PDA

View Full Version : One bike to ride the Natchez trace

Jmaxwel8
12-19-2018, 07:46 PM
When I was finishing up school I had this bright idea to ride some of the Natchez trace on an old Mtn Bike. This was really before I rode bikes a ton or had any knowledge about what make one bike better than another. Needless to say it was a good experience to be out on my own but it was physically brutal. I just didn’t have the right equipment or endurance to take on the task.

That has been years ago and now I’m thinking about redoing it this spring. I wanted to see if there are some suggestions on a bike to tackle this on. Just curious to see others opinions.

bikinchris
12-19-2018, 08:06 PM
When I was finishing up school I had this bright idea to ride some of the Natchez trace on an old Mtn Bike. This was really before I rode bikes a ton or had any knowledge about what make one bike better than another. Needless to say it was a good experience to be out on my own but it was physically brutal. I just didn’t have the right equipment or endurance to take on the task.

That has been years ago and now I’m thinking about redoing it this spring. I wanted to see if there are some suggestions on a bike to tackle this on. Just curious to see others opinions.

Self contained? A good touring bike of course. A low budget, but good quality bike would be a Trek 520. Higher end would include Cinelli Hobootleg or Co-Motion Americano. Or custom.

Semi supported riding would probably look for a Sport bike, with a rear rack for snacks etc.

Supported riding would be a race bike, but with room for bigger tires, since the surface of the road is not smooth. It's chip and seal.

Ken Robb
12-19-2018, 08:47 PM
To quote a formerly famous cyclist:"it's not about the bike." :)
But the idea of a touring bike and 700x32-37 tires with plenty low gears makes sense. Are you much more fit now than you were when the ride was suchb a challenge?

bikinchris
12-19-2018, 09:18 PM
If you can swing it, an early spring ride will have the fewest mosquitos. And if you remember well, the hills on the Trace are not very challenging. It was the path of least resistance back up North to get more barges for the float down river.

pinkshogun
12-19-2018, 09:57 PM
we rode the Trace in 2008. unless it changed it was paved with rolling hills

Ken Robb
12-19-2018, 10:21 PM
I drove The Trace 20 years ago and it was fun/interesting historically. We were able to walk along parts of the original trace footpath. I wonder if bikes are allowed on that.

HenryA
12-20-2018, 07:59 AM
I live on the Trace, near the northern end where its most hilly. Its all smooth excellent pavement except for parts being worked on from time to time. Even the biggest hills are gradual and just not very steep. I ride 11 X 25 and never think I need any lower cogs.

Any bike you are comfortable on for long periods of time will be fine. If you going self supported add in the carrying features as you need. I see people riding through on MTBs with slicks, special touring bikes, race bikes, etc.

A special bike or special gearing or wheels or tires is not required. I’d pick based on comfort first, carrying capability second and that’s about it.

Fall would be the time I’d pick first - probably October. Spring can be good too but may hold more rain.