PDA

View Full Version : Nightime Visibility

Peter P.
12-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Piggbacking on tuxbailey's update on his accident, (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231894) and his comment; " I had a 1000 lumens headlight, Superflash tail light, bright yellow Gore Phantom jacket with reflective stripes, neon yellow Pearl Izumi full finger gloves with reflective strips as well as Gore booties with reflective stripes as well.", you would think he would be adequately illuminated with reflective materials.

While I think he did more than was necessary, it makes me wonder whether we rely too much on these little "freebies" manufacturers put on their clothing as an advertising feature. I question their effectiveness since they're usually just pinstripes and logos.

For sure, I understand why we don't want to "Fred out" and adorn our bikes with reflective stuff and wear randonneur vests :rolleyes: (FYI, Amphipod (http://www.amphipod.com/products/visibility/xingletsbelts) makes something a little more minimal but effective), but why aren't manufacturers looking at what I feel is the obvious next best location-the helmet? It's free real estate, and reflectivity is now available in any color the makers want to offer and what we desire, including black!

I just bought a new helmet and as is the custom with my helmets I adorn them with reflective tape. This time however, I chose to coordinate my reflective colors as best as I could with my helmet's native colors (except black!).

I purchased the tape from identi-tape.com (denti-tape.com/), along with a tape slitter so I could make nice, straight strips. Then I bought an ellipse template so I could cut rounded ends that looked reasonably professional vs. a square cut, and less likely to lift vs. a pointy end.

For accidental times I get caught out after dark intentionally or not, it's nice to know I've got some backup and if the meatwagon picks me up, at least they'll say I look "pro" with that helmet!

steamer
12-18-2018, 07:56 PM
Nice work. The only catch is, that unless a driver is using their high beams, your head is almost never below the top cutoff on the headlight.

joosttx
12-18-2018, 08:17 PM
I use this reflective spray from Albedo. I sprayed it on the back of my helmet. It is slightly noticeable in normal conditions but very noticeable in the dark when light a shining on it. I think the best thing to do is get reflection on your wheels.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4902/44558258620_d89c7aa84e_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4889/46324209292_859c99cb73_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4869/45652184214_244199f74a_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4820/45462681925_8e62620dc4_h.jpg

mt2u77
12-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Here’s my theory on night time visibility— “points” of light are hard for a driver to distinguish amongst the many points of light encountered in city/suburban night driving. It’s also difficult to judge the distance of a single light. So a headlight, whether 100 or 1000 lumens, is not adequate by itself. Two lights separated by some distance is best(helmet,bars,ankle etc)

Likewise, a static reflection or light source is harder to notice than one that is moving. Everyone seems to remove the spoke mounted reflectors, but they work a zillion times better than a reflective pinstripe on a tire. A rotating ring appears static while a spoke reflector is cyclic. Same for body parts.

The best place to put lights and reflectors is on moving parts. I wear a slap bracelet light on my ankle— it goes round and round and sticks out closer to traffic. It gives a second reference to my head and tail lights.

Make fun of construction vests if you want, but they work. One, they are extremely reflective. Two, they are easily recognized as a person. People respect a construction worker. It’s been ingrained in our subconscious by all the “fines double in work zones” and enhanced enforcement/education.

dustyrider
12-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Being aggressive as a form of defense, I like to pretend I’m water, and outlining the human form is the best you can do for drivers that are paying attention. How many drivers pay attention these days is deplorable. I will be looking for some of that reflective spray nonetheless!

pdmtong
12-18-2018, 10:27 PM
another option for tape is this: https://brilliantreflective.com/

https://brilliantreflective.com/product-category/cyclist/

parris
12-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Like Peter I've got a lot of reflective tape on one of my helmets. The other places I've put it is on the fenders, both crank arms, sides of seat stays, seat post. I also had some thin rectangles of reflective tape that fit perfectly on the rims between pairs of spokes. I did this on my converted mountain bike because that's the one that I tend to ride in really lousy/dark weather. I never go on a ride anymore without at least a GOOD front and back light. Nothing can stop drivers that have an IQ the same as room temp but I do as much as I can think of to improve my odds.

pobrien
12-18-2018, 11:04 PM
I cannot think what would make me want to cycle at night in a city or on the shoulder of a road at night. The risk of injury or worse is not worth taking to me. I would rather ride a trainer or go to the rec centre for training.

I drive to where I want to cycle to minimize my risk of injury en route and ride in an area that I consider relatively safe during non busy times of the day.

I do not mean to be critical of folks who do want to cycle at night, I just would not willingly take that risk. I have been hit three times in daylight while a student at UBC in Vancouver. None of those drivers stopped to see if I was hurt. They just drove away.

The stats on impaired people driving, whether drugs or distraction, are just too high for me to ride at night.

I do ride with current tech top of the line Dinotte lights and a Fly 6 and Fly 12
to record any future incidents. That is to gather evidence in the event I am hit again to help the Police find the perpetrator.

Life is too short to take unnecessary risks, in my opinion.

Veloo
12-19-2018, 05:52 AM
I wish more tires would have a reflective sidewall. Seems to be very few and only the touring category of tires.

Tickdoc
12-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Lots of discreet reflective gear out there.

3m makes this great reflective tape that can be placed discretely on frames and such. looks like black shiny tape (or whatever color you choose) and is super reflective.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/od0AAOSw0HVWACP2/s-l300.jpg

Also have this great Sugoi jacket for commuting:

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/sugoi-zap-bike-jacket-chest.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pI0inNLl.jpg

Veloo
12-19-2018, 07:02 AM
I have the Sugoi Zap as well but only worn twice. Have any of your dots fallen off?

Tickdoc
12-19-2018, 07:09 AM
I have the Sugoi Zap as well but only worn twice. Have any of your dots fallen off?

No they are still there for the most part. still super shiny, but to be fair I really don't wear it that much. It is a great shell for commuting which I sadly, don't do enough.

Peter P.
12-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Nice work. The only catch is, that unless a driver is using their high beams, your head is almost never below the top cutoff on the headlight.

It works with low beams as well. The reason comes from light physics. Sitting behind the steering wheel, there is a vertical difference between the headlight location and the driver's eyes. The headlight beam travels straight, reflects off the helmet at an angle equal to the light coming from the headlight. If that angle is narrow enough, the light will reach the driver's eyes. As the driver gets closer yes, the angle formed by the headlight/helmet/eyeballs increases and at some point the material is no longer effective. That's where active lighting takes over. Also, because the helmet is curved the reflective material has a distance window limitation.

Vehicle headlight lenses are designed to not only aim light in a low beam/high beam pattern, but there is some deliberately designed scatter light which effectively picks up a bike helmet.

But it DOES work, and well. In joosttx's photo of the spray painted helmet, the flash is very close to the lens so the reflective helmet shows up very well at a distance.

Luwabra
12-19-2018, 08:57 AM
https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/cycling

Just got a review from my lbs this am saying the 360 jacket is so bright it may be a distraction to drivers itself. I’ll follow up.

Veloo
12-19-2018, 08:57 AM
I read a review a couple of years ago where the person complained that the dots fell off from having a backpack rubbing against the jacket. Just FYI.

No they are still there for the most part. still super shiny, but to be fair I really don't wear it that much. It is a great shell for commuting which I sadly, don't do enough.

Tickdoc
12-19-2018, 09:03 AM
I read a review a couple of years ago where the person complained that the dots fell off from having a backpack rubbing against the jacket. Just FYI.

I would buy that and add that if you are always wearing the backpack you don't need those dots anyways.

Mark McM
12-19-2018, 09:59 AM
It works with low beams as well. The reason comes from light physics. Sitting behind the steering wheel, there is a vertical difference between the headlight location and the driver's eyes. The headlight beam travels straight, reflects off the helmet at an angle equal to the light coming from the headlight. If that angle is narrow enough, the light will reach the driver's eyes. As the driver gets closer yes, the angle formed by the headlight/helmet/eyeballs increases and at some point the material is no longer effective. That's where active lighting takes over. Also, because the helmet is curved the reflective material has a distance window limitation.

Vehicle headlight lenses are designed to not only aim light in a low beam/high beam pattern, but there is some deliberately designed scatter light which effectively picks up a bike helmet.

But it DOES work, and well. In joosttx's photo of the spray painted helmet, the flash is very close to the lens so the reflective helmet shows up very well at a distance.

The big problem with reflectors is that they only reflect light back to its source - they don't emit any light of their own. Since vehicle headlights typically only shine in a controlled cone of light to the front of the vehicle, reflectors are little use if the bicycle is off to any angle from the vehicle direction. Two common examples of reflectors failing: When a bicycle is travelling on an intersecting street (for example, a car accelerating from a stop sign may not see reflectors on a bicycle on an intersecting street until the bicycle is directly in front of the vehicle, at which time it is too late); when a vehicle makes a turn onto an intersecting street, and may not see reflectors of an on-coming bicycle until the vehicle has intersected the path of the vehicle (similar to the OP's collision).

Reflectors should be seen as a secondary safety measure, and not as a primary visibility feature.

Mark McM
12-19-2018, 10:14 AM
The best place to put lights and reflectors is on moving parts. I wear a slap bracelet light on my ankle— it goes round and round and sticks out closer to traffic. It gives a second reference to my head and tail lights.

This isn't just a good idea, it is in fact the law. According to CPSC (which all bikes sold in the US have to meet):

§1512.7 Requirements for pedals.

(a) Construction. Pedals shall have right-hand/left-hand symmetry. The tread surface shall be present on both top and bottom surfaces of the pedal except that if the pedal has a definite preferred position, the tread surface need only be on the surface presented to the rider's foot.

(b) Toe clips. Pedals intended to be used only with toe clips shall have toe clips securely attached to them and need not have tread surfaces. Pedals designed for optional use of toe clips shall have tread surfaces.

(c) Pedal reflectors. Pedals for bicycles other than sidewalk bicycles shall have reflectors in accordance with §1512.16(e). Pedals for sidewalk bicycles are not required to have reflectors.

Many rider skirt the CPSC regulations by installing their own pedals on their bikes - CPSC only regulates the requirements of bicycles sold, and doesn't regulate user modifications. However, riders may still be breaking the law, as many states (like my home state of Massachusetts) also have laws mandating these reflectors:

Massachusetts General Laws, Part 1, Title XiV, Chapter 85, Section 11B: Bicycles; operation and equipment; regulations; federal product safety standards, effect; races; violations; penalties

(9) During the period from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, the operator shall display on each pedal of his bicycle a reflector, or around each of his ankles reflective material visible from the front and rear for a distance of six hundred feet, and reflectors or reflective material, either on said bicycle or on the person of the operator, visible on each side for a distance of six hundred feet, when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps of a motor vehicle. This clause shall not prohibit a bicycle or its operator to be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by clauses (8) and (9).

steamer
12-19-2018, 10:35 AM

My point is that reflective above the headlight cutoff have much much less light to work with than reflectives located below the cutoff. Anklebands, reflectors on top surfaces (between spokes) of rims, crankarms, low on chainstays, on the back of a rear fender, etc.) work much better than reflectives on a helmet.

teleguy57
12-19-2018, 10:43 AM
This thread reminds me that I should check out my Bell Z20 with the ghost finish in my car headlights and see how reflective it actually is.

I now am riding with lights both front and rear, and try to be off the roads at/after dusk.

cdimattio
12-19-2018, 11:35 AM
The stats on impaired people driving, whether drugs or distraction, are just too high for me to ride at night.

Texting and distracted driving is the most common danger to me as a cyclist, yet it is somewhat irrelevant. It is all about being noticed, and I generally feel like I am more visible to motorists after dark.

I have commuted 36 miles round trip daily for 12 years. For half the year I am generally commuting in the dark. I may be the extreme, but after dark I rely upon:

- Reflective socks

- Planet Bike Superflash on seat bag

- Flouro clothing with reflective piping

- DiNotte Quad Red taillight (Helmet Mounted)

- Generous amount of Reflective Tape affixed to helmet

- Dinotte Quad Red taillight (Frame mounted)

- Illuninite Reflective backpack

- Bontrager FLare R taillight strapped to backpack

- Light and Motion 1500 lumen headlight

- Knog Blinder

Lanternrouge
12-19-2018, 11:52 AM
https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/cycling

Just got a review from my lbs this am saying the 360 jacket is so bright it may be a distraction to drivers itself. I’ll follow up.

I use a Proviz vest for walking the dogs in the evening and I have received compliments from people in the neighborhood about how it made it really easy to see me. Of course, I'm still walking on the sidewalk with a headlamp, but one can never be too visible.

For riding when it's dark, I think at least two tail lights is best. I think one on the back of your helmet or jersey and one on the bike. FWIW, I think bikes that are properly lit are almost more noticeable at night than during the day based on my observations behind the wheel.

steamer
12-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Texting and distracted driving is the most common danger to me as a cyclist, yet it is somewhat irrelevant. It is all about being noticed, and I generally feel like I am more visible to motorists after dark.

+1. That's my experience as well.

The only time I have not felt safer at night than during the day has been on a few brevets where we were riding between 11pm and 3am on Saturday nights. In those cases, concerns about drunk drivers was the source of the unease.

Nooch
12-19-2018, 02:01 PM

I have commuted 36 miles round trip daily for 12 years. For half the year I am generally commuting in the dark. I may be the extreme, but after dark I rely upon:

- Reflective socks

- Planet Bike Superflash on seat bag

- Flouro clothing with reflective piping

- DiNotte Quad Red taillight (Helmet Mounted)

- Generous amount of Reflective Tape affixed to helmet

- Dinotte Quad Red taillight (Frame mounted)

- Illuninite Reflective backpack

- Bontrager FLare R taillight strapped to backpack

- Light and Motion 1500 lumen headlight

- Knog Blinder

just curious how you mounted the quad to your helmet...?

coreyaugustus
12-19-2018, 02:21 PM
... at least they'll say I look "pro" with that helmet!

Very nice work indeed.

saf-t
12-19-2018, 02:30 PM
(like my home state of Massachusetts) also have laws mandating these reflectors:

I've been using 2" yellow fluorescent reflective bands around my ankles at night for years. Friends who I've had drive behind me assure me that they can see them going up and down for some distance......

Ozz
12-19-2018, 02:39 PM
wow....I had no idea this stuff existed: Safety Skin Reflective Skin Spread (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XVYMDXH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1)

for you folks in warm climates obviously.....

Tickdoc
12-19-2018, 02:44 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H_wbQtT05C0/TFaMRUZqNEI/AAAAAAAAAgQ/o5qMADPqOHQ/s1600/edward-cullen+glowing.jpgwow....I had no idea this stuff existed: Safety Skin Reflective Skin Spread (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XVYMDXH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1)

for you folks in warm climates obviously.....

weisan
12-19-2018, 03:06 PM
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/E8C039/christmas-tree-cyclist-with-led-lighting-at-night-E8C039.jpg

coreyaugustus
12-20-2018, 07:55 AM
edward-cullen+glowing.jpg

We've really got to get a "like" button on these boards.