PDA

View Full Version : cycling travel: ingamba, rapha, etc

Heisenberg
12-18-2018, 05:55 PM
I'm exploring this space as of late, and curious if any of you have paid for a "cycle vacation", eg, Trek Travel, Duvine, InGamba, Rapha, etc.

Curious how much overlap there is in the custom bike/boutique travel spaces. Is it worth it to you to pay someone to essentially do the heavy lifting on a trip? Is it more valuable in some locales over others? Do you think you could do it all on your own nearly as well from online research?

I've noticed that a lot of folks come here for local knowledge when traveling near+abroad, hence my inquisitiveness. The millennial peanut gallery is curious.

FlashUNC
12-18-2018, 06:38 PM
FWIW, I think a thoughtfully designed tour can make a helluva lot of sense, but it'd need to be a continent away for me to feel like I'd need local guidance and expertise.

I'd be more likely to shell out for Andy Hampsten's Tuscany Tours than I ever will inGamba's Coast Ride or SoCal excursions. If that makes sense.

dbnm
12-18-2018, 06:40 PM
I am looking in the the Hampsten tours for the upcoming summer. The main reason is that I will be probably stay in Italy longer with the family and won't have to deal with the lugging a bike around.

And, Rapha no longer offers trips.

Kirk007
12-18-2018, 07:34 PM
I think its definitely worth it if going somewhere that you are unfamiliar with - different language, customs, etc. I don't know that its worth shelling out for the high high end opposed to others like Hampsten, Erickson Tours, and there's a lot out of England as well. Another option are the cycling hotels like Lago Como Bike in Italy.

makoti
12-18-2018, 07:48 PM
I've done a few packaged deals, but never what would be considered "high end" trips. Been mostly happy (Never again, Saddle Skedaddle). A friend has done maybe 5 Hampsten tours & loves them (obviously). There is a lot to be said for letting the details be sussed by someone else so all you need to do is ride & enjoy your trip.

rccardr
12-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Have done two Sojourn tours and consider it to have been money well spent.
Also did an Adventure Tours ride from DC to Pgh and feel the money was worth it.
Many friends have done Backroads tours, no complaints.

tv_vt
12-19-2018, 12:59 PM
I have used several companies, and stayed at several 'base camps.' Two of the companies are no longer doing tours: Pyractif and Forever Cycling. Which is too bad, they were great.

For riding in one general area, a cycling base camp works really well. I've used The Col Collective (organized daily itinerary with tour leaders in central Pyrenees), BedBikeBreakfast Pyrenees (casual do what you want rides in eastern Pyrenees), VeloVentoux (near Mt Ventoux) and VeloVercors (in the Vercors region of France - which is incredible cycling). I would recommend any of these places.