PDA

View Full Version : Driving from NY to Florida - essentials to stop and see without too much extra miles?

veggieburger
12-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Folks,
Looks like we will be driving to Tampa sometime in late Jan/early Feb. Draw a straight line from Niagara Falls to the east coast of Fla and you'll see what we have in mind. Pittsburgh, down through WVA, Charlotte, etc.

With two wee ones, we are going to take our time, maybe stretch it over 3 days. What I would rally love to find is nice lodging along the way - fully equipped cabins. Some nature. Relaxation to take the edge off of all the driving.

Also....anything that you think is too cool to pass up. I realize this is vague, but the last time I did this drive was sitting in the back of my dad's Dodge in 1984. I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks!

fmradio516
12-18-2018, 01:00 PM
I used to do this every year with my family growing up. All I remember is taking bio breaks on the shoulder of the highway, and being really, really excited about all the billboards for South of the Border.. oh and how long it took from the point we entered florida to the time we got to our destination in fort lauderdale. tortune!

ultraman6970
12-18-2018, 01:03 PM
From niagara falls you are better taking i75 it will drop you straight into tampa... looks like you want to come r80 or something??

What u need? a lot of movies... ive done that trip zillion of times bu from dc metro. A lot of chips and sodas. If you arent sure if you are going to do it in one round, split that in half and find and hotel with a nice swimming pool.

There;s a bunch of bathrooms on the way so is not like a problem.

Good luck with the trip, it will be long.

Hope this helps.

ps: hope you are taking a minivan... easier to get everybody in and out, specially kids.

fmradio516
12-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Right, that reminds me. My dad was pretty nifty in making things and he was able to install a small TV w/a VCR and super nintendo in our toyota previa for the drive. So im not surprised i dont remember much. :)

Bruce K
12-18-2018, 01:27 PM
South of the Border signs are cool - the place not so much

We’ve always done I95 so can’t help you much.

BK

Ralph
12-18-2018, 01:49 PM
Jekyll island near the Fl GA line is deserted this time of year. Hotels not busy. Google it. Probably 6 hours (or so) on to Tampa, depending on where you are going in Tampa.

It's owned by the state of Ga, so not much new is built there, or ever will be. Has stayed in the 60's. Rent a bike if not too cool. Not far off I 95.

When going back and forth, we stop there a lot. We like the seclusion, and stay right on the ocean. Not sure how that would work with small kids. Enough restaurants and a market for fresh food.

We've stayed in most of the hotels there, and like the Day's Inn and suites the best (strange I know). Not much new there, and some nice restaurants built out over the bay behind Island. Indoor and outdoor seating.

Bob Ross
12-18-2018, 01:52 PM
South of the Border signs are cool - the place not so much

LOL! Came in to post ^^^this!

Actually, if you're passing through Pittsburgh PA take the kids on the Duquesne Incline (http://www.duquesneincline.org/).

Ralph
12-18-2018, 02:04 PM
My family likes to tour the old abandoned rich people's homes on Jekyll. Take a trolley tour. Before and during WW11, rich folks would winter there, some of richest families in USA, but German subs came too close, and the US Government estimated about 10% of nations wealth was wintering there, and had risk of being captured and held. So they left, and never came back, but houses still there. Some German ships were sunk off shore, there is a German graveyard there from those ships. I always find something new there to learn about. BTW....If you come down I 95, take 295 E around Jacksonville. Fastest way.

https://www.explorejekyllisland.com/

Mikeys
12-18-2018, 02:14 PM
South of the border is garbage. Don't go despite the billboards.

Does Tut's mountain still exist in NC? Stopped there about 15 years ago and that was fun. Cabins on a mountain with a mini zoo.

Savannah GA is a cool town

Stop in St. Petersburg (downtown area) and spend more time there than Tampa. Tampa doesn't have much going on. St. Pete and Clearwater have the nicer beaches which can usually still be warm enough to enjoy that time of year. Fort De Soto park is nice for easy camping.

Alafia state park or flatwoods park if you have time and ability to mountain bike while you're there.

Ralph
12-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Do not drive thru down town Orlando on I 4. It's in the middle of a huge multiyear reconstruction project. If coming I 4 from Daytona Bch, take either the 417 around E of Orlando, or the 429 around the W side of Orlando. They begin about 20 miles NE of Orlando. Both toll roads, and you move right along. Of course....if coming down I 75, you will miss the Orlando area.

Disney is about 20 miles SW of Orlando, and while it may have a Orlando zip code, most locals don't consider it part of Orlando. Terrain is nothing like where I live on NE side of Orlando....with rolling hills and oak trees.

old_fat_and_slow
12-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Shenandoah National Park for nature if not too far out of the way. Not sure these are the most exciting parks for small kids, but for adults the scenery is fantastic.

Have a great trip.

ultraman6970
12-18-2018, 06:22 PM
I have to agree with ralph... avoid i4 orlando, that thing is parking lot, it sucks...

If you take 95 south the best you can do to get to tampa is to take the I-10 (north jax)... then cross to I-75 south towards tampa. Btw just follow the speed limit at I-10, u dont want a ticket there, in a matter of fact you will find weird the locals are driving speed limit... there is a reason for that :P

I do not know what the OP is going to do in tampa or if he is going to disney... but bush gardens tampa is ok... there is a science museum pretty much behind bush gardens, designed for kids... woossy or something like that is called, cant remember...

And if your kids are little, IMO the best place for now for them IMO is Lego land, disney is nice but if your kids are too little they wont remember jack of the trip, the other thing about lego land is that is designed for little kids and if you dont want to go in a ride, a kid from the staff will ride with your kid. Many rides kids needs to be with an adult. The other detail is that is cheaper, smaller and less tiresome than darn disney... not bragging but been in disney so many times that from just mention disney I just get depressed and tired, dont want to go there no more. Actually the next trip there will be when dumb and dumber gets like 16 y/o so we could drop them off at the entrance and then pick them up at night.

Hope this helps.

veggieburger
12-18-2018, 07:36 PM
My family likes to tour the old abandoned rich people's homes on Jekyll. Take a trolley tour. Before and during WW11, rich folks would winter there, some of richest families in USA, but German subs came too close, and the US Government estimated about 10% of nations wealth was wintering there, and had risk of being captured and held. So they left, and never came back, but houses still there. Some German ships were sunk off shore, there is a German graveyard there from those ships. I always find something new there to learn about. BTW....If you come down I 95, take 295 E around Jacksonville. Fastest way.

https://www.explorejekyllisland.com/

I have heard of Jekyl island...will research this further. Thanks to ALL of you for the tips!

everbeek
12-19-2018, 06:44 AM
Only a 90 minute stop, but hike the trail at the New River Bridge/Gorge, WV.

ghcs
12-19-2018, 08:29 AM
I drive TO to Hilton Head Island almost every year.

Stonewall Jackson resort in WV is nice. Not expensive, nice lake & hiking trails, just a couple of miles off I-79. Not sure how it is in winter, but it's nice in spring/summer/fall.
Just near there is an old asylum that is straight out of a gothic horror movie. I think they do tours.

Savannah is a cool town. So is Charleston SC, but that takes you about 90 minutes off the 95, whereas Savannah is basically right on it.

Pittsburgh is awesome. Great food (and beer). Kids would probably like the National Aviary there, or the Childrens Science Museum by the river.

If you go that route, watch the speed limits around the New River (from Flatwoods to Beckley WV). Well known to Canadians for it's speed traps.

douglas
12-19-2018, 08:46 AM
I second Everbeek's suggestion of the New River Gorge bridge area. If you go to Fayetteville, don't miss the Secret Sandwich Society for delicious and creative sandwiches. Or stop in to Pies and Pints for great pizza and craft beer. Check out the NPS Visitor Center there. Fayetteville is the center of WV white water rafting so there are plenty of places to stay. Further south on I-77 you could go to Pipestem State Park where they have both cabins and a lodge. It's a beautiful park with hiking trails that you could explore with your kids. Brandon's Barbecue and The Oak are two nearby restaurants that are both good.

Also on I-77 in the Beckley, WV area if you just want to have a quick stop and a great meal hit up Tamarack. It's not your usual highway road food stop. The food service is run by the Greenbrier Resort and is very good. Wander through the place and check out all of the handcrafted arts for sale.

Have a great trip.