PDA

View Full Version : Best frame material, groupset and wheelset choices for Heavy, Powerful riders?

zmalwo
12-18-2018, 12:21 PM
So I'm looking forward to build my step dad a durable, long lasting and non-racing road bike. He's over 220lbs, needs 60cm frameset. I found a 2009 Pinarello Prince for dirty cheap, but Don't want to use a 10 years old carbon frame for someone he's weight and height. My question is, should I get a Steel frame, or is it safe for him to ride a 10 yo carbon frame? Also Would a pair of cheap fulcrum or shimano wheels hold up to his weight? I'm 5'9, 160lbs and have built many bikes for myself but I have no experience on bigger frames for a heavy rider.

mktng
12-18-2018, 12:25 PM
durable
long lasting
non race bike.

just get a steel bike.

dont bother with old carbon.

factory build fulcrum wheels and shimano wheels should support his weight.
just dont go hopping curbs everywhere :)

Waldo
12-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Same question, but for heavy and weak riders. Asking for the friend in the mirror...

cribbit
12-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Used ti is super cheap. Sub $500 frames for 1 1/8th, sub $300 1". Lasts forever, won't corrode, won't fatigue.

Wheels are just whatever good 32 spokes you can find. Lots of options.

jtbadge
12-18-2018, 12:42 PM
220 isn't really that much, especially for someone riding a 60cm frame. I weighed that much a couple of years ago, and was riding pretty much whatever I fancied. Don't worry about it as long as you're not buying weight weenie material.

I would recommend 25-28c tires at a minimum, to help minimize pinch flatting while still having a decent ride.

CAAD10 with some halfway decent handbuilt wheels (28 spokes is fine) and 105/Rival/Ultegra/Force/whatever will do great.

MattTuck
12-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Agree with above comments. Steel would be fine. Ultegra is more than enough, 105 fine. 32 spoke wheels are the way to go. Get a frame that can handle 32's.

The biggest difference in being heavy is you need more cushion from the tires to prevent fatigue on your body. If he is 220, and rides at 90 or 100 psi (which he'll probably have to if he's on 23's, to prevent flats), he's going to feel every crack in the pavement. Give him bigger tires and let him ride at less than 80 psi.

Ken Robb
12-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Among others, Rivendell has always offered many steel frames with good clearance for fatter tires.

weisan
12-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Costco

Oops....sorry, wrong thread.

HenryA
12-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Id look for a good steel frame and build some 36 or
32 Hole standard wheels. 25 or 28 tires. Any decent shimano group 10 speed or up.

He could ride that for a
Long time and do nothing to it but lube the chain and pump the tires.

Bradford
12-18-2018, 02:52 PM
I'm that size and ride steel and Ti. There are plenty of each available used with rim brakes these days.

I agree with MattTuck, something that fits a 32 is a big bonus. My steel Club Racer is my favorite riding bike and I currently have GP4000 on Archtypes that measure out to 31.7...it is a nice ride for a big dude. (Although I ride them at 90...80 psi would be too soft for me and my heft). He should consider a Ti Fierte, which run about $700 for a frameset these days. I've been commuting on one for the last year and really enjoy the ride. I can only fit 28s on it, but other than that, it is a great non-racing frame. Its not as fast or nimble as my Legend, and not as comfortable as my Club Racer, but I have over 1,500 commuting miles on it and have enjoyed every one.

For wheels, I only ride 32 hole wide rims made by an eccentric ex-navy pilot in Boulder. Heavyweights are better off on hand-built wheels by someone who knows his way around a shop. Call Spud or Ergott and have them build you the right wheel. Big dudes shouldn't mess around with wheels built for little dudes.

cribbit
12-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Also if you post your general location people here are craigslist wizards and can give specific suggestions.

Kirk007
12-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Any frame material will be fine unless he is way, way north of 220. I've ridden within 20 pounds, both plus and minus, of 220 for over 3 decades on 60+ frames of all materials. Handbuilts with 32s - depends on the builder. I've hard more broken spokes, wheels out of true in my lifetime than I have using Campy factory wheels, low spoke count be damned.

charliedid
12-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Budget?

Location?

Used only?

What if any input will FIL have?

Current ride?

Does he "talk"about bikes or just ride them? :-)

echelon_john
12-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Black Mountain Cycles Road, 105, 32h rims.

mhespenheide
12-18-2018, 03:48 PM
If he could ride a 62x60 I'll give you a sweetheart deal on a lugged steel frame that will fit 32mm tires... and I've got some nice 36-spoked wheels that would work, too!

:cool:

(apologies; couldn't resist.)

Echelon_john's suggestion of "Black Mountain Cycles Road, 105, 32h rims." is also a great idea.

biker72
12-18-2018, 03:53 PM
I've seen some riders much heavier than 220 riding some pretty light weight equipment. I personally would steer clear of carbon.

A Trek 520 comes to mind or really anything steel or titanium with 32H wheels.

donevwil
12-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Black Mountain Cycles Road, 105, 32h rims.

This is what you want, or something similar, with the exception of the wheels. You've no reason not to go 36h, all else being equal when "weight" and hub/rim sourcing aren't primary concerns four spokes of insurance will yield a noticeably more durable wheel that 32h. Been there done that, nuff said.

jr59
12-18-2018, 04:04 PM
I’m or was a ton load over 220. And I rode all kinds of frame material, carbon, ti, and steel. All kinds of wheels too, from 48 spoke, to 28 hole.
All work ok. 32 rear and 28 front worked good for me. I do know guys that weighted 100 lbs less than I did, and tore stuff up on the regular. It depends on how he rides. Ride softly and stuff lasts a lot longer. Hit every pot hole, and curb, not nearly as long.

All the frame can do is break. If it’s cheap enough you can always replace it.
Or buy the BMC and some hand built wheels and go have a blast.

Good luck and go have fun

Ken Robb
12-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Waterford/Gunnar Road Sport use medium-reach caliper brakes so they can take tire of at least 700x32.

bigbill
12-18-2018, 06:13 PM
I'm around 230 right now, been as heavy as 260 and was riding steel and Ti. Now I have an older Fierte Ti and several steel frames. Like others have said, much of durability is from the riding style. I'm a diesel, smooth power, no sprinting from stop, pay attention to the road, and no tires smaller than 25's. Gunnars are nice, not really expensive, stainless dropouts, and good tire clearance. Zonda wheels can be had around $350 and come with either freehub.

SoCalSteve
12-18-2018, 06:32 PM
I’m 6’ 5” 225lbs and I’ve been riding low spoke ENVE and Reynolds carbon wheels for many years and many thousands of miles with nary an issue. Go figure.

Oh, I’m pretty sure whatever frame material you choose will be fine as long as it was manufactured properly. You don’t necessarily have to ride a steel frame at that weight. I’ve ridden many a high end, lightweight carbon bike with never any problems.

I think people are a bit too cautious when it comes to this stuff. Unless you are truly a Clydesdale, the bike manufacturers of the world build bike frames-wheels-components for people our size. If they didn’t, they would put warnings on them.

5oakterrace
12-18-2018, 06:37 PM
I am 195 to 210, 6'4. I have ridden Rol wheels for 30,000 miles (I have a few Rol wheelsets). No problems, do not even have to be trued. They have an end of the year sale now - 20 % off, free shipping.
I also ride Lynskey titanium. Steel has always rusted on me - salty sweat - so I have to wash steel every time. Even with the washing I spend the winter with the sandpaper and touch up paint. Lynskey also has a sale now and great deals on their loft.

donevwil
12-18-2018, 06:54 PM
I am 195 to 210, 6'4. I have ridden Rol wheels for 30,000 miles (I have a few Rol wheelsets). No problems, do not even have to be trued. They have an end of the year sale now - 20 % off, free shipping....

Rol wheels are awesome, excellent quality, good price and outstanding customer service. 3 sets in the family.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2018, 07:22 AM
So I'm looking forward to build my step dad a durable, long lasting and non-racing road bike. He's over 220lbs, needs 60cm frameset. I found a 2009 Pinarello Prince for dirty cheap, but Don't want to use a 10 years old carbon frame for someone he's weight and height. My question is, should I get a Steel frame, or is it safe for him to ride a 10 yo carbon frame? Also Would a pair of cheap fulcrum or shimano wheels hold up to his weight? I'm 5'9, 160lbs and have built many bikes for myself but I have no experience on bigger frames for a heavy rider.

Steel or titanum frame.
Designed for him, his type riding, his size, handbuilt wheels designed and built by a decent wheelbuilder.

Stay away from used carbon or most 'wheelsouttaboxes'..

DRZRM
12-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I'm 6'3", 220 is my summer goal, probably 230 now. Like everyone has said, I like steel and ti that will take a big tire. 32 spoke wheels give you far more choices on rims and hubs and build into a pretty bombproof wheel. 36 feels like overkill. Actually, if he'd fit my ti DeSalvo drop me a PM. Takes 28s with fenders or 32 without. Very comfortable.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2018, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I'm 6'3", 220 is my summer goal, probably 230 now. Like everyone has said, I like steel and ti that will take a big tire. 32 spoke wheels give you far more choices on rims and hubs and build into a pretty bombproof wheel. 36 feels like overkill. Actually, if he'd fit my ti DeSalvo drop me a PM. Takes 28s with fenders or 32 without. Very comfortable.

Sorry, this wheelbuilder is gonna mention that 4 spokes per wheel, weigh about 60 grams on a bike and rider 'package' that is in the neighborhood of 108,000 grams..'feels' as in? I guess at the coffee shop, somebody may count them..they are sure to is you break a spoke..

Just musing, not trying to be an arse(I'll bet you think I are tho)..Yup, very few 36h hubs or rims out there and 32h can be reliable for a heavier rider if ya use the 'proper' rim..but geez, 4 spokes per wheel? :):)

AngryScientist
12-19-2018, 08:58 AM
best thing for durability with a heavy rider is going to be nice fat tires.

a lot of the issues with road wheels in the thinking of yesteryear stemmed from riding 23c tires pumped up to 125#.

a wider tire will allow a little lower pressure and a little shock absorption in the system. that goes a long way to reducing issues if the frame and wheels are subject to less shock loading.

skiezo
12-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Lynskey is having some good deals on there ebay site that might work out for him.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Bicycle-Frames/22679/m.html?item=153291947801&hash=item23b0e97f19%3Ag%3AVVAAAOSw3-9cCFor%3Ark%3A1%3Apf%3A0&_ssn=lynskeyperformance

Hilltopperny
12-19-2018, 09:57 AM
I am 5'8 and 220lbs. I ride Titanium, Steel, aluminum and have a carbon bike on the way. I've never had any issues with any of my bikes, but my frames are quite a bit smaller.

I have also ridden and ride some carbon disc wheels with 20-24 hole hubs with zero issues, but have taco'd some cheaper low quality aluminum wheels after a short period of time. I also have some sets of old Open Pro Mavics with campy 32 hole record/chorus hubs and they are bombproof. I also like my Belgium+ wheels with 32 hole t-11 hubs which are also bombproof so far.

At 220 your pal can ride whatever frame material as long as it isn't set up for an ultra light rider. I prefer titanium and Steel, but my aluminum Zanc is also just as good as any bike of any material I've ever ridden.
I think it all depends on what the rider wants out of the bike. There are so many competent builders out there that can make exactly what you want and need. If going second hand or looking for a budget new build look for a nice used titanium bike or a new Lynskey.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MattTuck
12-19-2018, 10:01 AM
best thing for durability with a heavy rider is going to be nice fat tires.

a lot of the issues with road wheels in the thinking of yesteryear stemmed from riding 23c tires pumped up to 125#.

a wider tire will allow a little lower pressure and a little shock absorption in the system. that goes a long way to reducing issues if the frame and wheels are subject to less shock loading.

Nick, for a light guy, you get it. :) :banana:

redir
12-19-2018, 10:04 AM
I am 205lbs now and even when I was racing back in the day at 190lbs I still broke lightweight stuff. Race wheels can be light since they don't get much use but for every day I would go with 32 spoke or if you want Carbon make it deep and specifically for clyde's, probably a CX specific wheel.

My 2 cents.

It's no fun breaking spokes.

PaMtbRider
12-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Sorry, this wheelbuilder is gonna mention that 4 spokes per wheel, weigh about 60 grams on a bike and rider 'package' that is in the neighborhood of 108,000 grams..'feels' as in? I guess at the coffee shop, somebody may count them..they are sure to is you break a spoke..

Just musing, not trying to be an arse(I'll bet you think I are tho)..Yup, very few 36h hubs or rims out there and 32h can be reliable for a heavier rider if ya use the 'proper' rim..but geez, 4 spokes per wheel? :):)

Just because the 4 spokes only add 60 grams doesn't make them a necessary, or even good recommendation. Where does that line of thinking stop? Why not just use tandem hubs and build 48 spoke wheels, cause you know they only weigh xxx grams.

You have way more wheel building experience then most on this board. I think few people are building with light weight box section rims and 36 spokes anymore. As you said, a"proper" rim can be built up with less spokes and easily support a heavier rider.

jtbadge
12-19-2018, 10:30 AM
I have two sets of wheels with 24f/28r spokes to Archetype rims. They have been incredibly reliable for me since I weighed over 230, only one of those wheels has needed even a minor true.

I'd say everyone is overthinking this. Just pick something you like.

ceolwulf
12-19-2018, 08:06 PM
I have two sets of wheels with 24f/28r spokes to Archetype rims. They have been incredibly reliable for me since I weighed over 230, only one of those wheels has needed even a minor true.

I'd say everyone is overthinking this. Just pick something you like.

For a second there I thought I posted this.

I actually built those wheels myself, and I'm not the greatest wheelbuilder and they've still never needed even a touch-up.

Riding reasonably light carbon frame as well, no issues. I do agree that older carbon *with unknown history* would make me a little nervous. Ti should be fine as long as it's stiff enough. In a large frame aluminum should ride okay, the CAAD is a good idea and they tend to have good tire clearance.

bikinchris
12-19-2018, 09:37 PM
I have customer who is a big guy and a very strong rider. Over the years, he wound up with a custom IF stainless bike with handbuilt wheels by me with a 40 spoke rear wheel.

DRZRM
12-19-2018, 10:35 PM
I totally take your point and don't think you are being an arse. In fact, if all the companies made 36 hole rims and hubs, I'd totally ride them. I'm not worried about the weight. But there are few enough wide, light, strong rims out there already, add in disc, just a handful. How many of those offer a 36 hole rim? Any? I like Chris King, Industry Nine, DT Swiss, and Record hubs. I don't see many of those available in 36 hole and my wheels generally stay true with 32 holes.