PDA

View Full Version : Too Muddy Cross Championships?

jcammarata
12-17-2018, 05:40 PM
I’d say yes. Nationals should be held Sunday to Saturday with the Elite Events held on the 1st day (Sunday). That would give them the Saturday before to ride/prep. Plus it would allow for the team/sponsors and USA Cycling to schedule special Events the rest of the week with the newly crowned National Champs.

Thoughts?

Bruce K
12-17-2018, 05:49 PM
This event replicated conditions similar to many late season European races.

It wasn’t pretty but grass crits don’t prove anything when we’re trying to select a team for World’s.

That said, the idea of running the Elite races first (as long as they are on the weekend for the largest possible viewing audience) might make sense except that you then ask the amateurs to deal with these conditions instead.

One idea was two different venues/events but that would be too costly.

European countries don’t have the same numbers of riders to deal with so it is also a fairly unique USA issue

BK

John H.
12-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Good riders won and I am sure that they had to ride hard, but watching the races was like watching paint dry.

Bruce K
12-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Totally disagree

There was some great racing for podium spots - just not always number 1.

Maybe knowing many of the racers helped but I enjoyed watching

BK

FlashUNC
12-17-2018, 06:35 PM
Too muddy is a thing in cyclocross?

I thought that was a feature, not a bug.

ergott
12-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Moving the tape for the feature races to give them some new lines is effective enough and keeps things interesting. I'd do that so elite women get a crack at it first then the elite men.

I thought the racing was great especially after experiencing similar conditions in Rockland.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/Supercross-2018-/i-Bx8G864/0/bcc72211/XL/IMG_0042-XL.jpg

e-RICHIE
12-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Best Natz conditions ever.
Truly separated the talent.
And that’s why they hold it.

All skills were tested all week long.

Those who excelled deserved the spoils.

buddybikes
12-17-2018, 08:58 PM
something to take into consideration with all that mud fun: https://www.wdrb.com/news/cyclocross-event-leaves-significant-damage-at-joe-creason-park/article_19309545-b7ad-5e0a-846e-4715097a5041.html

know is pisses some locals (my cousin is environmental writer) off

Gummee
12-17-2018, 09:02 PM
something to take into consideration with all that mud fun: https://www.wdrb.com/news/cyclocross-event-leaves-significant-damage-at-joe-creason-park/article_19309545-b7ad-5e0a-846e-4715097a5041.html

know is pisses some locals (my cousin is environmental writer) off

What they didn't talk about that the webcast did was that remediation began today. By the time spring rolls around, I doubt you'll be able to tell anything went on.

M

pasadena
12-17-2018, 09:15 PM
Yeah because the delicate ecosystem of the park between the Walmart Supercenter and Jimmy Johns, while surrounded by St Louis neighborhood tracts is so fragile.

The adjoining parking lot, nearly as big as Creason Park has, i'm sure, balanced the delicate ecosystem there with careful paving.

It's a grass field in a city park.

crankles
12-17-2018, 10:05 PM
I’d say yes. Nationals should be held Sunday to Saturday with the Elite Events held on the 1st day (Sunday). That would give them the Saturday before to ride/prep. Plus it would allow for the team/sponsors and USA Cycling to schedule special Events the rest of the week with the newly crowned National Champs.

Thoughts?

regarding the title of the post: those words should never be in the same sentence.

oldpotatoe
12-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Too muddy is a thing in cyclocross?

I thought that was a feature, not a bug.

Mee too..everybody gets the same course..Euro races are known for this..any American who can do well in crappy conditions will be better served in Europe, particularly if the conditions are crappy. Would the Euros ever cancel a 'cross race cuz it's too muddy? Doubt it.

JORIS NIEUWENHUIS

https://www.cxmagazine.com/joris-nieuwenhuis-wins-u23-men-2017-cyclocross-world-championships-bieles-luxemourg

pdonk
12-18-2018, 08:13 AM
The comments in the article were made every year at a race in Toronto, then you go in the spring and can barely see anything ever happened.

Considering, at my project we are still seeding and sodding and know it will take for the spring, this is a bunch of whiners. I love the "threat of invasive species" BS quote.

oldpotatoe
12-18-2018, 08:15 AM
The comments in the article were made every year at a race in Toronto, then you go in the spring and can barely see anything ever happened.

Considering, at my project we are still seeding and sodding and know it will take for the spring, this is a bunch of whiners. I love the "threat of invasive species" BS quote.

Ya mean all those cross racers??:)

wallymann
12-18-2018, 08:39 AM
yep.

Best Natz conditions ever.
Truly separated the talent.
And that’s why they hold it.

All skills were tested all week long.

Those who excelled deserved the spoils.

chiasticon
12-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Considering, at my project we are still seeding and sodding and know it will take for the spring, this is a bunch of whiners. I love the "threat of invasive species" BS quote.yeah I wouldn't pay much attention to that article from last year. metro park dude was even like (paraphrasing): "yeah, we expected this. it's fine. it's getting repaired. think of all the cash going to local hotels, restaurants, the zoo, etc... this is great for Louisville. the park will just be ugly for a little while." I'm sure they're out there working hard to repair it, and set aside funds/people to make that happen.

USAC actually put together a manual on how to prepare for races, how to approach course design to have the least permanent damage, and how to clean up after.

rest assured, they're on it.

Lewis Moon
12-18-2018, 08:48 AM
url=https://imgflip.com/i/2p98vy]https://i.imgflip.com/2p98vy.jpg[/url][url=https://imgflip.com/memegenerator]via

Bruce K
12-18-2018, 09:04 AM
The bigger concerns for cross are the organizers of smaller local events who just run their event and then leave, doing no remediation.

The larger, sustainable events will always plan for the worst and be happy with weather that leaves minimal footprint.

But even the driest races require some amount of repairs.

BK

redir
12-18-2018, 09:53 AM
There's not a whole lot of 'natural' in a city park, I mean about the statement, the way nature intended it. I don't think nature intended the public works crew to come in and mow the fields every two weeks... But anyway...

I have always excelled in muddy races because the rest of my CX skills suck. But I could power through the mud pretty good. But IMHO that was just too much. I would not have had much fun at it. I like a good fast section too but on a course like that the pavement is just a recovery. But what ever that's CX you roll with the punches. I'd rather have that then the conditions that were in Rhode Island or Kansas city when it was 8 degrees out with snow filled mud ruts.