PDA

View Full Version : apple bluetooth airpod headphones - workout use?

AngryScientist
12-14-2018, 08:35 PM
that time of year.

i'm interested in ditching the cord for my workouts in favor of bluetooth headphones. the typical apple earbud shape works for my ears.

anyone using these for heavy duty workouts? running, cycling interval work, rowing?

do they stay in your ear OK and deal with sweat acceptably?

Tony T
12-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Indoors? Why not a wireless speaker?

joosttx
12-14-2018, 08:44 PM
The Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones are the ones I roll with for cycling and for the gym. They are great and I highly recommend. One feature I really like on the bike is they have a large but not too large volume / song skip control which can be operated relative easily even with gloves.

I had mine for about 3 months and they are perfect. There are some long-term reviews on youtube which a glowing too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundSport-Wireless-Headphones-761529-0010/dp/B01L7PSJFO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544841583&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+bose+earbuds

Stan Lee
12-14-2018, 09:03 PM
I've had my apple earbuds for 6 months - they are great. I run, row and bike with them no problem.

ergott
12-14-2018, 09:08 PM
One thing I run into especially with HPs that stick out more is wind noise with the fan blasting on me. Lower profile is better even if that means wired which is fine. I'm not going anywhere and the laptop is right in front of me.

I tried my BT earbuds on time and the wind noise was too much!

AngryScientist
12-14-2018, 09:13 PM
I'm not going anywhere and the laptop is right in front of me.

haha, good point for cycling.

my main reason for this, i was treadmill running today and caught the cord with my arm and ripped one bud out rather violently, and it pissed me off. i usually manage the cord pretty well, but this has happened a few times now and enough that i think wireless is a better option for me.

good point about the noise.

i'll look into the bose ones also, same basic price as the apple jobbers.

it really comes down to ear shape a lot i think, just like saddles, some ears are just different i guess.

good input all, appreciate it.

John H.
12-14-2018, 09:44 PM
I use my Air Pods on my trainer and also in the sauna- So far, so good. 1.5 years old.

thegunner
12-14-2018, 10:18 PM
the sennheiser momentum wireless are wonderful, they just launched a couple of weeks ago. the sound quality blows the apple ones out of the water (admittedly the shape might not work for everyone).

Heisenberg
12-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Mine are pretty much dead after about six months of outdoor use. Microphone is hosed, volume levels are about half of max. I was excited about the prospect of Airphone-level of environmental awareness vs the standard in-ear wireless sport buds that have an element of sealing, but durability sucks, battery life wasn't amazing. My ears really like the Apple shape, so I never had issues with them popping out, even at 50mph.

I replaced them with these, which were about half the cost. Apparently they're no longer available, but battery life is phenomenal in comparison (9ish hours), and they're IP67 waterproof. They're the "seal the ear" variety, so I ride with one out in busy environs, and just accept that I'm going to be mown down inevitably anyway in tranquil ones. I actually like the neck band/battery unit - it helps keep track of them on the bike. Hope it's a good reference point.

https://www.amazon.com/LEOPHILE-Headphones-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Earphones/dp/B06WD1DQY2

slowpoke
12-14-2018, 11:35 PM
my main reason for this, i was treadmill running today and caught the cord with my arm and ripped one bud out rather violently, and it pissed me off. i usually manage the cord pretty well, but this has happened a few times now and enough that i think wireless is a better option for me.

I route my headphone cord under my shirt for this reason. Sure they may get gross, but headphones are $10-20 a pair and they last at least a year or two.

If you are going to go wireless, I'd get something where the two earbuds are tethered together. Of course if you go the Apple option, you can pay more for this privilege.

grnrcr
12-14-2018, 11:36 PM
I use these https://www.cnet.com/reviews/jabra-elite-65t-review/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0h

Super secure in my ears. I wear just the right one on rides. Zero wind noise issues. Tried the Bose. Way too bulky and noisy when speed picked up.

seanile
12-15-2018, 12:16 AM
save yourself the coin and just get these. they're fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Headphones-Lightweight-Connection-Sweatproof/dp/B01N6DC2ZE/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QEPBWJ870RB1JNPSJAZ2

MagicHour
12-15-2018, 12:34 AM
As are these....
Soundcore Spirit Sports Earbuds by Anker, Bluetooth 5.0, 8H Battery, IPX7 Waterproof, SweatGuard, Comfortable Wireless Headphones (http://a.co/d/cui1yoa)

There were a couple Youtube videos with reviewer doing water submerge tests which convinced me; so far so good for several months of sweaty trainer rides.

pdmtong
12-15-2018, 12:57 AM
AirPods have a sound curve acceptable for non audiophiles - in other words the sound is good to good enough

They interface with iPhone perfectly as you would expect and the little dental floss case can charge them while storing

They don't work great mountain hiking since part of the reason they stay put is gravity. If you get air riding they may fly vertically upward in your ear and fall out.

Costco best price $140

parris
12-15-2018, 07:17 AM
I don't know the various Bose headphones well but Best Buy has a few models on the daily deal today.

Dirtdiggler
12-15-2018, 07:38 AM
I have the wireless Beats, but Im not a fan of the cord that joins them, the cord when soaked kinda stays on the skin. Im looking at the Aftershokz Trekz
bone conduction.

https://www.rei.com/product/116279/aftershokz-trekz-titanium-wireless-headphones

Tony T
12-15-2018, 07:54 AM
I just use my iPod shuffle (size of a quarter) with wired earbuds.

R3awak3n
12-15-2018, 07:59 AM
I use AfterShokz. The sound quality is not great but water resistant and can be used safely on the bike since they don't block your ears.

I definitely prefer them for audio books over music because the sound quality is really not amazing, but its adequate for working out.. Definitely do not fall of your ears.

I am not into the apple wireless buds, I would loose those in 3 seconds. Also looks like you are wearing tampons in your ears which maybe not my favorite look :banana: