PDA

View Full Version : Time Expresso Pedals

Johnnysmooth
12-13-2018, 08:31 AM
So Excel Sports is closing out remainder of their Expresso pedal stock and thinking of getting extra set. Do any of these models come with bearings are all bushings?Reason I'm asking is one set I have is getting sticky

https://www.excelsports.com/promo/?p=time-xpresso-sale

Pinned
12-13-2018, 09:14 AM
I was under the impression that they all used the same bearing/bushing setup but if the higher end models have better bearings I'd consider a set as well. Mine tend to develop a lot of play after 6-12 months.

I have a few sets, the bearings/bushings seem to be the weak point on all of them but Time's customer service is great and they've always taken care of my pedals.

glepore
12-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Yes, they all use bushings. Disassembling and greasing helps. There's a thread over on Weightweenies that describes how to use a readily available bearing to replace the bushing (you use 3-4 per pedal, they're small bearings used by skateboaders). I do that with all of mine, in addition to filing down all of the sharp "points". If you don't have a moral issue with it, the Costelo pedals are identical to the 12's and are half the price. I have 3 pair of those, one set of 12's and one set of the Mavic ti's (12's with different graphics).

Mike Bryant
12-13-2018, 10:05 AM
I have the xpresso 10 and they have a sealed bearing inboard and roller bearing outboard. Just purchased xpro 10 from Excel for $98 versus the clearance priced xpresso 10 for $108. Go figure...
My understanding, which may be wrong, is xpresso 12 has outboard bushings; xpro 12 went to outboard bearings.
I use 10’s anyway since I’m too fat for Ti spindles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
12-13-2018, 10:57 AM
The XPros do have a grease port and greasing regimen for the bearings the XPressos didn't have.

But yes, my understanding for the Xpressos is they're bushings. Couple videos online on how to swap them to bearings easily enough.

Johnnysmooth
12-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Thanks all for the feedback - may just move on to Xpro for one of the failing pedal sets and keep others till they drop or I get the gumption to rebuild w bearings

mcteague
12-15-2018, 07:12 AM
After two broken pairs of RXS pedals, each broke in the body, I got the Xpresso 8s. I just loved the way Time pedals clipped in and out along with the feel of the float. But, they just don't last. The 8s broke at the spindle...and it was steel, not Ti. Also, the bearings on Times just never felt very smooth. Using Ultegra SPD-SLs now and have zero issues.

Tim
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697903213&stc=1&d=1435933400

Johnnysmooth
12-15-2018, 07:31 AM
I guess count me lucky as I knock wood and say that I have had bearings seize in pedals but never have snapped a spindle.

Pinned
12-15-2018, 08:46 AM
After two broken pairs of RXS pedals, each broke in the body, I got the Xpresso 8s. I just loved the way Time pedals clipped in and out along with the feel of the float. But, they just don't last. The 8s broke at the spindle...and it was steel, not Ti. Also, the bearings on Times just never felt very smooth. Using Ultegra SPD-SLs now and have zero issues.

Tim

How many miles did you get out of those pedals?

The bearings/bushings definitely get sloppy in mine after 4-5k miles, but never any sticking or resistance. I also don't ride anywhere wet/salty that would cause the steel spindles to rust or prematurely wear out bushings/bearings. Shimano pedals are definitely better built either way.

mcteague
12-15-2018, 12:37 PM
How many miles did you get out of those pedals?

The bearings/bushings definitely get sloppy in mine after 4-5k miles, but never any sticking or resistance. I also don't ride anywhere wet/salty that would cause the steel spindles to rust or prematurely wear out bushings/bearings. Shimano pedals are definitely better built either way.

Not that many, and only a bit out of warranty.

Tim

ultraman6970
12-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Seen handlebars to snap mid ride... fork snap at the steering tube... but the one that scares me the most is a pedal failing and time have been having a lot of reports after they moved to the xpresso pedal. Original time pedal users probably are still using theirs... looks pedals eventhought I dont like them dont have problem... xrs time pedals got some issues with pedal bodies cracking some axles but personally never had a single problem with them, the model before the xrs that was heavy as hell never heard of anybody having issues with it...

In other words, time as usual doing innecesary changes to 2 models that were just perfect, the original model and the one before the xrs...

For the price of those xpresso well worth my time to test but darn... scary dilemma to take a leap of faith you know.

Moved to keywin like a year ago and eventhought I think they could improve their design a little bit with 1 or 2 things here and there, so far the pedals had been just perfect....

BdaGhisallo
12-15-2018, 01:04 PM
Moved to keywin like a year ago and eventhought I think they could improve their design a little bit with 1 or 2 things here and there, so far the pedals had been just perfect....

Keywin pedals are a great design. Their distribution is somewhat limited in NA but they are worth a try if one is looking for something different.

chrisroph
12-15-2018, 01:09 PM
I'm still riding impacts, which are about perfect road pedals.

ultraman6970
12-15-2018, 04:57 PM
impacts are great pedals... never thought they were goign to improve them till they for the rsx ones.. and with those then the xpresso came which so far never got me to the point of willing to even buy a set.

John H.
12-15-2018, 05:46 PM
I wanted to like the Xpro pedals- In fact, I love the way that the float works.
Also, they are super easy to get in and out of.

But after about 5 rides they became the clicking and clacking pedals- You can silence them a bit with attention to keeping them clean and also by using some kind of lube like the Finish Line for pedals- But it is a pain.
I went back to SPD SL. No noises.

mdeth1313
12-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Yes, they all use bushings. Disassembling and greasing helps. There's a thread over on Weightweenies that describes how to use a readily available bearing to replace the bushing (you use 3-4 per pedal, they're small bearings used by skateboaders). I do that with all of mine, in addition to filing down all of the sharp "points". If you don't have a moral issue with it, the Costelo pedals are identical to the 12's and are half the price. I have 3 pair of those, one set of 12's and one set of the Mavic ti's (12's with different graphics).

This. I swapped out the bushings for these bearings a couple of years ago. Got the bearings on amazon for less than $8 and switching took all of 5-10 minutes. No play since.