PDA

View Full Version : OT: E-mail Question

Peter P.
12-12-2018, 05:11 PM
I have a friend who received an e-mail, supposedly from The Apple Store, asking about a credit card purchase he did NOT make. Oddly enough, the recipient of the e-mail was Apple, and the friend was Bcc'd. This sounds suspicious.

He thinks it's fraudulent but he's not too tech savvy.

I suggested he check his credit card web sites to see if the purchase was actually on an account.

In the meantime, I asked him to forward the e-mail to me so I can examine it for authenticity.

He forwards it, but I never receive it. Yet he can send a test message to me just fine. I think this is another indicator something's amiss.

What say you? Any other suggestions?

Llewellyn
12-12-2018, 05:16 PM
What say you? Any other suggestions?

Just hit the delete button.

Jeff Weir
12-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Spam. Delete it.

Birddog
12-12-2018, 05:30 PM
scam, delete. They make them look very convincing.

Davist
12-12-2018, 05:57 PM
definitely spam. try to "reply" to the email, you'll see a non apple account (you can just hover if on a phone). Getting more and more convincing for sure..

AngryScientist
12-12-2018, 06:00 PM
delete it.

in the unlikely event the charge does show up on his CC, report it through their fraud department, but likely it's just a fishing email.

duff_duffy
12-12-2018, 06:06 PM
I get an email every other day like that. I’d be owing some serious money if they were legit purchases I had to pay for. Just ignore as others have said.

AngryScientist
12-12-2018, 06:08 PM
incidentally, i still use yahoo for my personal email. their spam filter does a very good job, i think with weeding this nonsense out.

sfscott
12-12-2018, 06:08 PM
And never, ever open an attachment or click a link.

If you want to check, open a new browser and log on to your account as you normally would. See if there is anything going on.

MattTuck
12-12-2018, 07:32 PM
incidentally, i still use yahoo for my personal email. their spam filter does a very good job, i think with weeding this nonsense out.

May want to reconsider that. Verizon is supposedly much more granular in their data mining. They will read contents of emails. On phone now, or else I would post an article about it.

RocketPockets
12-12-2018, 07:34 PM
100% scam, delete it. Tell your friend to send you a screenshot or have him talk to Apple support about it.

Tony T
12-12-2018, 07:37 PM
To further spam this thread ;)

Delete it.

bikinchris
12-12-2018, 08:06 PM
I often get emails from Apple store among others saying my charge went through. Only problem is, I don't have an account with them.
Never open such an email. Even if you have an account with that company. Wait....ESPECIALLY if you have an account with that company. Even if the email starts with your correct name!
Delete the email and open your account to see if you have a charge.

Peter P.
12-12-2018, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the replies!

My friend deleted the e-mail and emptied the Trash. He verified there were no charges on his credit card. He did notice had he replied to the e-mail that it wasn't going to Apple but an unfamiliar URL.

What baffles me is why he was unable to Forward the e-mail to me but a message directly from him was received without a problem.

C40_guy
12-14-2018, 10:16 AM
May want to reconsider that. Verizon is supposedly much more granular in their data mining. They will read contents of emails. On phone now, or else I would post an article about it.

Second that. Yahoo doesn't have the ability to manage enterprise or ISP grade mail services. Sooner or later it will blow up again, be hacked again, or finally be shut down...

I'd move to something else. Can't really tell you what, as I use the mail services provided by my domain hoster (pair.com)...

Maybe gmail...