PDA

View Full Version : Good e bike article

shankldu
12-12-2018, 11:00 AM
https://boingboing-net.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/boingboing.net/2018/12/11/cyclingebikesgadgetsurban-t.html/amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fboingboing.net%2F2018%2F12% 2F11%2Fcyclingebikesgadgetsurban-t.html

bitt3n
12-12-2018, 12:01 PM
his whole setup seems like a straw-man argument. there's nothing wrong with e-bikes, just like there's nothing wrong with mobility scooters, or any other conveyance designed to improve the lives of the elderly and infirm.

KidWok
12-12-2018, 12:02 PM
I get around Seattle by e-bike and do about 4k miles per year. E-bikes have established themselves on the road here in the last couple of years. When I first started in 2016, I'd get a couple of "cheater" comments...always from male roadie types.

I still ride my other bikes for long rides on the weekends. I found that e-biking has enhanced my road cycling. Since I use it for just about anything, I'm riding 5-6 days a week and getting a good base building workout. It keeps my fitness level up during the winter so that I'm leaner and ready to start hitting hills interval workouts in the spring without feeling the dread of starting from no fitness at all. For Tday/Xmas, I'm not worried about going back for that second or third plate of food. If I do a really long ride on the weekend, getting out and spinning on the e-bike during my commutes are great active recovery for the legs.

For transportation, it makes soooo much more sense. The greater Seattle/Bellevue area isn't actually that big. My e-bike can easily get me anywhere within a 15 mile radius, more if I bring my charger along. That means I can get to Lynnwood, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, etc from my home in NW Seattle. I can count on an average trip speed of 16 mph or more on my class 3 Stromer ST1, day-or-night and rain-or-shine. During rush hour traffic, I'm doing better than most cars. Rest of the time, I might get there a few minutes later than if I drove. I calculated that my first year's mileage was about $340 in fuel or $7 in electricity. Parking downtown is about $200 a month by my office. The bike has pretty much paid for itself now between the savings on those two expenses.

I used to be a leg-shaving purist as well. That said, I was never a racer and have never felt like I was in competition with someone going by me faster (because I'm not that fast anyway). I get roadies who try to jump on my wheel infrequently. The e-bike can sustain power up a long hill, which usually drops them.

FWIW...I've owned a few e-bikes now, including my rear hub motor Stromer, a front hub motor GoCycle (sold), and a Bosch mid-motor Tern GSD. For commuting, I really think the rear hub motor works best. 8,000 miles and very few issues. Does higher speeds very well and climbs just fine. The GoCycle was not enough bike for too much money and the Tern with Bosch mid-drive has not been particularly reliable. Can't recommend Stromer products enough.

Tai

srcarter
12-12-2018, 05:17 PM
I get around Seattle by e-bike and do about 4k miles per year. E-bikes have established themselves on the road here in the last couple of years. When I first started in 2016, I'd get a couple of "cheater" comments...always from male roadie types.

I still ride my other bikes for long rides on the weekends. I found that e-biking has enhanced my road cycling. Since I use it for just about anything, I'm riding 5-6 days a week and getting a good base building workout. It keeps my fitness level up during the winter so that I'm leaner and ready to start hitting hills interval workouts in the spring without feeling the dread of starting from no fitness at all. For Tday/Xmas, I'm not worried about going back for that second or third plate of food. If I do a really long ride on the weekend, getting out and spinning on the e-bike during my commutes are great active recovery for the legs.

For transportation, it makes soooo much more sense. The greater Seattle/Bellevue area isn't actually that big. My e-bike can easily get me anywhere within a 15 mile radius, more if I bring my charger along. That means I can get to Lynnwood, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, etc from my home in NW Seattle. I can count on an average trip speed of 16 mph or more on my class 3 Stromer ST1, day-or-night and rain-or-shine. During rush hour traffic, I'm doing better than most cars. Rest of the time, I might get there a few minutes later than if I drove. I calculated that my first year's mileage was about $340 in fuel or $7 in electricity. Parking downtown is about $200 a month by my office. The bike has pretty much paid for itself now between the savings on those two expenses.

I used to be a leg-shaving purist as well. That said, I was never a racer and have never felt like I was in competition with someone going by me faster (because I'm not that fast anyway). I get roadies who try to jump on my wheel infrequently. The e-bike can sustain power up a long hill, which usually drops them.

FWIW...I've owned a few e-bikes now, including my rear hub motor Stromer, a front hub motor GoCycle (sold), and a Bosch mid-motor Tern GSD. For commuting, I really think the rear hub motor works best. 8,000 miles and very few issues. Does higher speeds very well and climbs just fine. The GoCycle was not enough bike for too much money and the Tern with Bosch mid-drive has not been particularly reliable. Can't recommend Stromer products enough.

Tai

My car tracks my average MPG and speed. I just noted that since my last fill-up (400+ miles), I have only averaged 16 mph on the short trips I tend to drive in the relatively congested Oakland area. I was thinking a bike alone wouldn't be much slower in most situations, and an eBike would probably be quicker.

Babrassiler
12-13-2018, 07:17 AM
I found that e-biking has enhanced my road cycling.

I've found the same, it's great having relatively fresh legs at the weekend. I put 4200 commuter miles on mine this year and got in a lot of road miles too.

Not sure why the author made a thing about removing the kickstand though, it serves a valuable purpose.