PDA

View Full Version : Team Sky to finish in 2019

chirpy999
12-12-2018, 01:28 AM
Hi, on their Twitter feed it says that Team Sky will end after 2019. You guys are probably all sleeping being over the pond. Is that good or bad news?

Joxster
12-12-2018, 01:35 AM
At the Worlds this year I overheard a couple of the mechanics talking about what they were going to do when David leaves, I didn't hear the whole conversation so couldn't put it into contexted, they also had a big stack of pizzas.

They cynic in me thinks the sh17 is going to hit the fan with the Jiffy bag affair, a swanny getting busted with 10L of blood in his hand luggage and TUEs

I know that Sky and Jaguar were co-sponsoring a friend on a record attempt and a couple of hours before learned about a failed dope test 10yrs previous and pulled the plug there and then. They didn't want to be associated with his past.

martl
12-12-2018, 01:55 AM
Hi, on their Twitter feed it says that Team Sky will end after 2019. You guys are probably all sleeping being over the pond. Is that good or bad news?

The title is somewhat misleading. I read that *Sky* will *end their sponsorship*. Pro cycling teams are usually organized as business entities who employ riders + team infrastructure and "rent" themselves out to sponsors. So the team we know today as Team Sky may very well continue with a different sponsor.

corky
12-12-2018, 02:14 AM
Yep Dave B said that they will carry on if another title sponsor can be found.......

Another nail in the coffin of how the sport of cycling is managed/funded

572cv
12-12-2018, 06:31 AM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/46535894

It appears that the support for Team Sky came in no small part from James Murdoch’s affection for cycling. The takeover of Sky by Comcast and subsequent departure of Murdoch made support a corporate decision, not a personal one.

The entire Brexit turmoil has lent uncertainty to UK businesses. That will take some time to settle out, regardless of what the final condition looks like. And, in turn, would seem to affect the level of support they choose to give to something like cycling, or football perhaps, unless the owners, like Murdoch, choose to do so out of personal predilection.

That will probably make it even harder for Team Sky to replace their sponsor at the same high level of support.

quickfeet
12-12-2018, 07:40 AM
This makes anyone who soured on the whole Ivan Sosa thing laugh.

oldpotatoe
12-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Bad for a slew of soon to be unemployed, team doctors, I'm thinking..:eek:

cash05458
12-12-2018, 08:04 AM
The UCI is breathing a sigh of relief I bet...they can continue to ignore doing anything at all about budget caps.

Clean39T
12-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Bad for a slew of soon to be unemployed, team doctors, I'm thinking..:eek:Plenty of anti-aging clinics in the UK I imagine...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LegendRider
12-12-2018, 08:16 AM
I wonder how Egan Berna's five year contract was written. I presume there is a clause that says if the team doesn't have funding the contract is voided or something similar.

redir
12-12-2018, 08:53 AM
It's always bad news when a sponsor pulls out.

Black Dog
12-12-2018, 10:11 AM
This will happen again and again as long as cycling is the centre of all the pro sports doping drama. Soccer should be giving $$$ to cycling for the distraction away from its massive doping.

dcowboys31
12-12-2018, 10:11 AM
It was bound to happen at some point and ten years seems like a great run, especially for how much money they were getting from Sky. I cannot stand the team but hope they do get a new sponsor going forward.

Jay

FlashUNC
12-12-2018, 11:56 AM
I hope they informed the team of the decision via unlabeled jiffy bag.

wasfast
12-12-2018, 03:19 PM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/46535894

It appears that the support for Team Sky came in no small part from James Murdoch’s affection for cycling. The takeover of Sky by Comcast and subsequent departure of Murdoch made support a corporate decision, not a personal one.

This theme of sponsors being passionate about cycling is the norm, not the exception. Teams are more charity than business.

MattTuck
12-12-2018, 03:39 PM
What's the old adage?

"Every story needs its hero. and its villain. And its monster."

Alaska Mike
12-12-2018, 10:58 PM
I hope they find a new sponsor. Say, at the financial support level of AG2R.

Will somebody please impose a salary cap?

Avispa
12-13-2018, 07:38 AM
It's always bad news when a sponsor pulls out.

This will happen again and again as long as cycling is the centre of all the pro sports doping drama. Soccer should be giving $$$ to cycling for the distraction away from its massive doping.

This time around wasn't about the doping. This was a business decision from a new owner (American Company). Americans are not interested in cycling at that level of expense. Comcast now owns Sky Broadcasting and since the Murdochs are no longer in charge, this is the result. They were the driving force behind the cycling involvement...

I'd be curious to see what title sponsor that would not have huge interests in the UK would like to take on an enterprise the size of Team Sky. I can only think GSK the pharma company there (that will be funny as hell), but having the MacLaren Group would be really cool... Otherwise, I just couldn't see anyone wanting to be sponsoring/cheer-leading a British Cycling Club. Dave would have to give his new enterprise a more international tone and perhaps even move the HQ from England to another European country.

cderalow
12-13-2018, 08:47 AM
This time around wasn't about the doping. This was a business decision from a new American Company. Americans are not interested in cycling at that level of expense. Comcast now owns Sky Broadcasting and since the Murdochs are no longer in charge, this is the result. They were the driving force behind the cycling involvement...

I'd be curious to see what title sponsor that would not have huge interests in the UK would like to take on an enterprise the size of Team Sky. I can only think GSK the pharma company there (that will be funny as hell), but having the MacLaren Group would be really cool... Otherwise, I just couldn't see anyone wanting to be sponsoring/cheer-leading a British Cycling Club. Dave would have to give his new enterprise a more international tone and perhaps even move the HQ from England to another European country.

McLaren would be a smart tie in. already involved in racing, have the air tunnels etc already...

Tompho
12-15-2018, 06:05 PM
It is a pitty. Hope they find another sponsor.

dancinkozmo
12-15-2018, 07:26 PM
l hear these guys are shopping around for a team to sponsor

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.49860245.9407/pp,550x550.jpg

sfscott
12-16-2018, 01:12 AM
McClaren has enough of its own problems. Money and otherwise.