PDA

View Full Version : File under G, for Glutes

MattTuck
12-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Going through some old men's health magazines I had and saw this. Figured some might appreciate it. Glutes are important.

Clean39T
12-11-2018, 02:53 PM
I'd settle for being able to do that without the weight by firing my glutes...I am terrible at that.

In fact, when I saw a PT, they made it pretty clear that my cycling and running was half-a$$ed at best.

Slamcarneyson
12-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Did this at the gym yesterday actually. Hard to keep that bar from busting up your guts, but I'm sure this will pay off on power climbs come April.

XXtwindad
12-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Going through some old men's health magazines I had and saw this. Figured some might appreciate it. Glutes are important.

Personally, as a personal trainer, with the recognition that the glute muscles (the piriformis in particular) are underutilized, lifting that much weight is totally unnecessary.

azrider
12-11-2018, 02:59 PM
half-a$$ed at best.

pun intended?

Matthew
12-11-2018, 02:59 PM
I'm offended. He doesn't have a shirt on.

Clean39T
12-11-2018, 03:02 PM
pun intended?

It was subtle..

:banana:

MattTuck
12-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Personally, as a personal trainer, with the recognition that the glute muscles (the piriformis in particular) are underutilized, lifting that much weight is totally unnecessary.

Not sure how much weight they are suggesting. There is no mention in the article. They may have used bigger plates to make it look good for the photo.

If you have a particular routine with weight recommendations for building glute strength, I'm sure people here would love to hear it.

XXtwindad
12-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Not sure how much weight they are suggesting. There is no mention in the article. They may have used bigger plates to make it look good for the photo.

If you have a particular routine with weight recommendations for building glute strength, I'm sure people here would love to hear it.

Well, Matt, I'll preface my comments with long standing gripe: most mainstream fitness publications promulgate false archetypes. For men it's getting "JACKED!" For women, it's being "skinny." Both are utterly ludicrous and have nothing to do with fitness. It's nauseating.

That being said, most people, in their quest to develop the superficial "show" muscles, ignore their intrinsic core muscles. Start with the basics. The plank. The bridge. The body weight squat. Push-ups. (With hands wide so you're utilizing your core, and not the triceps)

I'm a big proponent of isometric and body weight exercises. Most people use far too much weight than is necessary.

Slamcarneyson
12-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Well, Matt, I'll preface my comments with long standing gripe: most mainstream fitness publications promulgate false archetypes. For men it's getting "JACKED!" For women, it's being "skinny." Both are utterly ludicrous and have nothing to do with fitness. It's nauseating.

That being said, most people, in their quest to develop the superficial "show" muscles, ignore their intrinsic core muscles. Start with the basics. The plank. The bridge. The body weight squat. Push-ups. (With hands wide so you're utilizing your core, and not the triceps)

I'm a big proponent of isometric and body weight exercises. Most people use far too much weight than is necessary.

I don't know much about weight lifting per se...I've done it in my past and here/there for 'cross season. This past 'cross season I had terrible lower back/hip flexor pain and I figured it was from a weak core/butt. I started doing unweighted squats, then kettle bell front squats...it kinda helped. Probably a fit problem tbh....that seems like a discussion for another thread.

MattTuck
12-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Compared to the usual glute bridge, I wonder if the more acute angle of the hips (when using a bench) helps with activation and/or better range of motion.

https://gogoodguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/gogoodguru.com-glute-bridge.png

XXtwindad
12-11-2018, 10:23 PM
1697971416Compared to the usual glute bridge, I wonder if the more acute angle of the hips (when using a bench) helps with activation and/or better range of motion.

https://gogoodguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/gogoodguru.com-glute-bridge.png

Hey Matt -

The issue I have with the aforementioned weighted bridge is that the impetus for the movement (given the excessive amount of weight) could be the lower back complex and not the hamstrings.

Here are a few good ways to get the glute muscles fired up.

1) Lie on the ground flat on your stomach. Arms extended, on the ground. Grip a small stability ball between your feet, raising it slightly off the ground. Squeeze. Try holding it for 30 seconds. You'll feel your entire leg complex activated, particularly your glutes, hamstrings, and adductors.

2) Another real simple exercise. I do this with many of my really athletic clients, and it just kills them. The reason? Sitting at a desk for hours on end.

Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo. Try holding it for two minutes. I'd be really impressed if any Paceliners can do it. Remember to keep the feet and knees pointed outward and palms flat on the ground.

sailorboy
12-12-2018, 05:19 AM
I admire the creativity in coming up with stuff, but that exercise in the OP also looks pretty tough on the upper back area which will have a lot of force concentrated on one or two vertebrae as you push that weight up.

There are plenty of challenging but less potentially hurtful ways to isolate your glutes. For example, try modifying the one shown here by Mattuck with hands together pointing at the ceiling overhead (challenges your core), and then when in the bridge position, lift one leg up and extend the knee, back down, do the same on the other side 5-7x each side. Maintain the bridge the whole time without sagging or twisting.

sparky33
12-12-2018, 07:43 AM
This is impossible. I can barely get into that position.

I feel weak...as I type from my desk chair. :)

2) Another real simple exercise. I do this with many of my really athletic clients, and it just kills them. The reason? Sitting at a desk for hours on end.

Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo. Try holding it for two minutes. I'd be really impressed if any Paceliners can do it. Remember to keep the feet and knees pointed outward and palms flat on the ground.

smontanaro
12-12-2018, 08:00 AM
@sparky33 I think I see your problem. You appear to be attempting that maneuver in your office. Try it in your kitchen instead like the guy in the photo. ;-)

Climb01742
12-12-2018, 08:35 AM
The dude in the photos above is a wimp. Here's the real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vK_Vx4yP_g

;);););)

I'm actually a fan of hip thrusts, but as has been said, with much, much weight. Begin with body weight and work up slowly to using just single plates or dumbbells resting on you. Doing them slowly with strict form with between 25-45 pounds is massively hard and effective. Or you could go the James Harrison PED route. Your choice.:banana:

zap
12-12-2018, 09:19 AM
I'm actually a fan of hip thrusts, but as has been said, with much, much weight. Begin with body weight and work up slowly to using just single plates or dumbbells resting on you. Doing them slowly with strict form with between 25-45 pounds is massively hard and effective. Or you could go the James Harrison PED route. Your choice.:banana:

I have not done these in some time but when I did, per my pt I had to focus on not activating the hamstrings.

I just did the pose that xxtwindad posted.......easy at first then it creeps up on you. Get up after two or so minutes and you walk funny. Great pose.

XXtwindad
12-12-2018, 10:12 AM
@sparky33 I think I see your problem. You appear to be attempting that maneuver in your office. Try it in your kitchen instead like the guy in the photo. ;-)

Studies have shown that when there's the scent of fresh baked cookies present, people tend to be more flexible. The exact correlation is still unknown...

XXtwindad
12-12-2018, 10:13 AM
I have not done these in some time but when I did, per my pt I had to focus on not activating the hamstrings.

I just did the pose that xxtwindad posted.......easy at first then it creeps up on you. Get up after two or so minutes and you walk funny. Great pose.

Two minutes consecutively? That's impressive!

Ronsonic
12-12-2018, 10:55 PM

Been doing a lot of stretching and strengthening of glutes, hips, fundamental parts to save my dodgy knees from IT band pain. So this one isn't unfamiliar. Still, not two minutes straight.

Jaybee
12-12-2018, 11:22 PM

Did 1:20 earlier tonight. My uber-flexible 4 year old did the full 2 minutes and didnt seem affected. Kids. :rolleyes:

Louis
12-12-2018, 11:38 PM
Get in a squat position with your butt slightly raised, with both palms flat on the ground. Knees and feet pointed outward. This will necessitate activating the adductors (groin muscles) See the model in the photo.

2:30 at which point I was starting to feel it, so I bailed. (unless I was doing it incorrectly, but I really don't think so)
Rowing and misc core stuff pays off...

Does that mean I have a cute butt? ;)

https://www.concept2.com/news/glutes-we-all-have-em-do-you-use-em

https://www.jebiga.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Rowing-Technique-and-muscle-groups.jpg

slowpoke
12-13-2018, 12:49 AM

Lasted 2m30s as well, but maybe I'm doing it wrong? I had my palms flat, but as little weight on them as possible and kept my knees at a 90-degree angle, pointed outward.

Process went like this:

0s - this ain't bad
30s - oh, my groin muscles are starting to feel it
90s - thighs starting to feel it
120s - okay thighs are tiring and my butt's dipping
150s - phew, glad that's done

54ny77
12-13-2018, 01:06 AM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/ec7f03bd39494ccf6de72232922f5e25/tumblr_mzz474SfAG1rhiapro7_400.gif

Louis
12-13-2018, 01:16 AM
^^^^ Do I have to wear the bikini top if I try to do that one?

mdeth1313
12-13-2018, 04:06 AM
This is impossible. I can barely get into that position.

I feel weak...as I type from my desk chair. :)

Just tried it 2 1/2 minutes, no problem, other than the cat rubbing against my legs making me slip out a bit.

I guess teachers who do something besides show videos to their classes and sit on their asses have an advantage here! (I'm not bitter)

Edit: Nothing against person I quoted - just venting on my own POS co-workers.

zap
12-13-2018, 08:30 AM

The first time was for 15 seconds and it was too easy, so I stood up and took a look at the picture you posted. Yup, that was right.

Second time I stuck with it and the discomfort to the groin started after 30 odd seconds. Interesting that the level of discomfort increased linearly for the next minute or so then stuck with it til the two minute mark.

I have been slincking about in crawl spaces and up in roof trusses for the past year at Habitat builds....so that probably helps

XXtwindad
12-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Just tried it 2 1/2 minutes, no problem, other than the cat rubbing against my legs making me slip out a bit.

I guess teachers who do something besides show videos to their classes and sit on their asses have an advantage here! (I'm not bitter)

Edit: Nothing against person I quoted - just venting on my own POS co-workers.

You raise a very important point. Standing (or continual low grade movement) confers a myriad of health benefits - not the least of which is flexibility. The vast majority of people who work in an office environment struggle with this movement because their hip flexors, adductors, etc are perpetually contracted and underutilized.

XXtwindad
12-13-2018, 08:40 AM
2:30 at which point I was starting to feel it, so I bailed. (unless I was doing it incorrectly, but I really don't think so)
Rowing and misc core stuff pays off...

Does that mean I have a cute butt? ;)

https://www.concept2.com/news/glutes-we-all-have-em-do-you-use-em

https://www.jebiga.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Rowing-Technique-and-muscle-groups.jpg

Certain sports give people "body memories" for various movements. If you come from a skiing or snowboarding background, the muscular endurance for this pose will be a little easier. Crew is particularly helpful, because that's very adductor focused.

Your last question is a little outside my purview :)

d_douglas
12-13-2018, 08:50 AM
The catastrophic thinker in my visualizes the bench slipping out from under me and I end up getting strangled by the barbell as it rolls from my hips up my body and lands squarely on my neck!

My wife would find me days later.

Jad
12-13-2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks for sharing this, Matt--I'm open to ideas for strengthening glutes. I've spent some time doing pretty lightweight, deliberate deadlifts, but have stayed away because I had some back pain. So I've (inconsistently) stuck with bridges.

As for the XXtwindad pose: 1 minute in, I was like, "yeah, I think I'm a natural at this maybe..." At the end of 2 minutes, I was like, "Help, the burning!"

Climb01742
12-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Yes, static exercises can be sneaky hard. Wall sits always humble me.

MattTuck
12-13-2018, 10:23 AM

Hey Matt -

The issue I have with the aforementioned weighted bridge is that the impetus for the movement (given the excessive amount of weight) could be the lower back complex and not the hamstrings.

Here are a few good ways to get the glute muscles fired up.

1) Lie on the ground flat on your stomach. Arms extended, on the ground. Grip a small stability ball between your feet, raising it slightly off the ground. Squeeze. Try holding it for 30 seconds. You'll feel your entire leg complex activated, particularly your glutes, hamstrings, and adductors.

Tried it this morning. 30 seconds, and then another 30 seconds. yeah, I'm out of shape :(

sparky33
12-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Edit: Nothing against person I quoted

No offense taken.
I freely admit that while my cycling fitness is very good, I am lacking in flexibility and in diversified fitness....

verbs4us
12-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Lateral knee pain in left leg eventually diagnosed to weak glutes on the right side (and overcompensation on the left). If your right knee swings left of the midline on the power stroke, glute strength might be compromised. I did notice my R knee did tend to swing toward port on even climbing stairs. Now about 10 weeks into PT and a strength program and knee pain gone.