PDA

View Full Version : Things to do while recovering from surgery

Bruce K
12-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Three weeks ago I missed a step going down stairs and fractured my fifth metatarsal (Jones Fracture).

Surgery to install a screw was last Friday and I am stuck flat on my back for at least the first 2 weeks.

Any (CLEAN) thoughts or suggestions - books, movies, activities to while away the hours when the Oxy runs out?

BK

Mikej
12-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Head over to The Lavender Room, that’ll fix you.

Bruce K
12-10-2018, 07:32 PM
So you missed that I am stuck with no weight bearing and limited mobility for the next 2 weeks?

Field/Road Trips are definitely out

BK

BobO
12-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Binge the entire Forged in Fire series. :)

MrCannonCam
12-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Had 2 operations last winter and planned to get caught up on some reading and podcasts but the drugs made me so loopy I couldn't concentrate on reading a thing or absorbing any content so binged a few shows instead. I did learn a few new recipes I guess though through it all....

duff_duffy
12-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Game of Thrones, that got me through my last illness. Enjoyed breaking bad too but was not sick for that one!

RocketPockets
12-10-2018, 08:32 PM
The Blacklist - Highly recommend this show, season 6 is coming out soon.

clyde the point
12-10-2018, 08:34 PM
The Lavender room is on slowtwitch you needn't go anywhere except to the boundaries of reasonable and logical thinking.

weisan
12-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear Bruce pal. 2 weeks on your back...wow, that's a tough one.

I am a movie junkie so if I ever were in your shoes, I would either go down the list of best pictures/best foreign every year until.... or every movies ever made with Tom Hanks...you get the idea.

Good luck with your healing, be a good boy, listen to your doctor, stay on the bed, take pressure off your foot.

Bruce K
12-10-2018, 09:27 PM
BobO - already was n that we ne but I can only listen to “Your blade sir, will kill.” So many times before I get a bit bonkers.

I was never a GoT guy but maybe I’ll give it another chance.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

I see one-legged drills in my future once the foot gets a cast (hopefully 12/21)

BK

Hawker
12-10-2018, 10:56 PM
Enjoy the Oxy. BUT those drugs will constipate you and you don't even realize it. When you do realize it, it can be brutal. Some people have had to undergo surgery so they could "go". Address this early on!

For videos, re-watch Breaking Away and if you haven't seen Slaying the Badger and The Accidental Death of a Cyclist, I found them both very interesting. If you're into motorcycles at all, check out The Worlds Fastest Indian. Great movie and true story starring Anthony Hopkins.

For some quick, light but well produced cycling fare, I've been checking out the Global Cycling Network (GCN) recently on YouTube.

Good luck!

Matthew
12-10-2018, 11:05 PM
Watch "This is 40." You'll laugh a lot. Or at least my wife and I did. But that may be painful. It's pretty crude so keep that in mind. But Paul Rudd is a cyclist in it so it fits this forum. Anyway, good luck in your recovery!

Louis
12-10-2018, 11:33 PM
You don't need your feet to ski-erg:

https://www.concept2.com/news/sit-stand-kneel-or-wheel-using-skierg-rehab

https://youtu.be/wJtsDAITOzA

https://www.concept2.com/files/news/chair_to_skierg.jpg

mtechnica
12-10-2018, 11:48 PM
Smoke weed and play skyrim

oldpotatoe
12-11-2018, 06:27 AM
Three weeks ago I missed a step going down stairs and fractured my fifth metatarsal (Jones Fracture).

Surgery to install a screw was last Friday and I am stuck flat on my back for at least the first 2 weeks.

Any (CLEAN) thoughts or suggestions - books, movies, activities to while away the hours when the Oxy runs out?

BK

NetFlix...Just binged Nacos-Mexico and now in Narcos..interesting. Also 'Ozark'..

Appropriate..not really, be careful with that stuff..it's dangerous.

peanutgallery
12-11-2018, 06:42 AM
Broke my 5th metatarsal last winter, too... on the stairs. Tripped over the dog. Was warned by the doctor about a Jones fracture if I did it again or didn't wear the boot. Not as bad as you, but it was painful.

For your downtime, treat yourself to The Wire

AngryScientist
12-11-2018, 06:50 AM
i've always wanted to really hone my game of chess. with that kind of down time on your hands, you could play online a ton and get really good.

just a thought.

Kobe
12-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Another recommendation for Ozark on Netflix. Very well done.

Bruce K
12-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Thanks for all the warnings. I hate the idea of the stuff but it does do the job.

Already down to 1 painkiller per day at bedtime - I started cutting down in less than 48 hours post-op.

Looking at alternatives to deal with swelling and ache - Alleve doesn’t quite do it to get through the night yet

Trying to be med free ASAP

I will be opting for a cast in 2 weeks - I had the boot for 2+ weeks pre-op and it was awkward, heavy, and annoying. Since it should be only 2 weeks for the cast I think it is the best option.

I AM trying to figure out ways to trick/pimp out my knee scooter.

BK

SoCalSteve
12-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the warnings. I hate the idea of the stuff but it does do the job.

Already down to 1 painkiller per day at bedtime - I started cutting down in less than 48 hours post-op.

Looking at alternatives to deal with swelling and ache - Alleve doesn’t quite do it to get through the night yet

Trying to be med free ASAP

I will be opting for a cast in 2 weeks - I had the boot for 2+ weeks pre-op and it was awkward, heavy, and annoying. Since it should be only 2 weeks for the cast I think it is the best option.

I AM trying to figure out ways to trick/pimp out my knee scooter.

BK

Not sure this will work for you, but you can try ice instead of big pharma pain killers. After my knee replacement surgery, I couldn’t stand the very powerful painkillers and what they did to my body. So I turned to ice. It really did help.

Oh, you may want to try CBD for the pain as well.

metalheart
12-11-2018, 09:33 AM
I am having shoulder surgery tomorrow --- second time for repair of torn bicep tendon -- and after my first shoulder surgery and two knee replacements I can echo the comments about ice. And, the "cold therapy" machines make it even easier to keep ice applied.

I have some books to read and a list of things I needs to put on ebay, catching up with correspondence, and just taking the space to heal are on my list of things to do while recovering.

Mikej
12-11-2018, 09:34 AM
So you missed that I am stuck with no weight bearing and limited mobility for the next 2 weeks?

Field/Road Trips are definitely out

BK

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Lavender_Room_F4/

Bruce K
12-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the link.

When I looked up Lavender Room it was either a salon/spa or a reference to Catcher In The Rye

Not going to get a massage but I might reread the book

It’s weird but I am pain free all day. It is only around bedtime that it feels like the foot swells up. Ice has not really helped that phenomenon. At least with one pill I can sleep through the night discomfort free.

It has only been 3+ days but I would like to stop the meds ASAP

BK

cmg
12-11-2018, 10:21 AM
watch some samurai movies. the Japanese film series based on the Zatochi character is a great time killer. 26 films in all. IFC used to show them on Saturday.

Drmojo
12-11-2018, 01:06 PM
I suppose no one reads anymore??!!
2 hip surgeries here--read, and re-read a LOT of books--not Kindle either
good luck and heal up soon!:bike:

MattTuck
12-11-2018, 01:25 PM
That seems pretty crazy. Usually they want people up and moving as soon as possible. Guess they know what they're doing!

meditation, planning cycling trips, listening to music and audiobooks, or reading, watching bike races, etc.

Bruce K
12-11-2018, 01:34 PM
They gave it 2 weeks but it wasn’t healing - the gap was too wide

They put a screw in along the center of the bone to pull it back together

They want no weight no n it as that will put pressure on both the break and the screw and could cause the screw to tear out or refractive the bone.

I can be patient for a bit

BK

gasman
12-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Bruce probably has too much padding on his dressing for ice to do much. Elevation is the best thing to keep the swelling down.

You could try 800 mg (not a typo) of ibuprofen 3 times a day as some people respond to different NSAIDs better than others. You might try just taking the Aleve twice a day instead of just at night, you'll have more constant blood levels.

I've been watching Ozark during an informal Kickr spin class three times/week.

There are some twisted people in that show. It is really well done, I've got to give it that.

Drmojo
12-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Bruce probably has too much padding on his dressing for ice to do much. Elevation is the best thing to keep the swelling down.

You could try 800 mg (not a typo) of ibuprofen 3 times a day as some people respond to different NSAIDs better than others. You might try just taking the Aleve twice a day instead of just at night, you'll have more constant blood levels.

I've been watching Ozark during an informal Kickr spin class three times/week.

There are some twisted people in that show. It is really well done, I've got to give it that.

I believe Ibuprofen is not recommended for use if over 50 years old--HIGH risk of gastritis bleeding ulcer etc
I have two "older" pals who suffered thusly.
Just sayin'

gasman
12-11-2018, 05:06 PM
I believe Ibuprofen is not recommended for use if over 50 years old--HIGH risk of gastritis bleeding ulcer etc
I have two "older" pals who suffered thusly.
Just sayin'

Your risk does go up as you age but it's not contraindicated for recovery from surgery. NSAIDs are a mainstay of what's called multi-modal pain relief to decrease the use of narcotics . You can run into problems with prolonged use of any NSAID. I know several docs in their 80's that take NSAIDs daily for their arthritis.
Ibuprofen is one of the safer ones in terms of gastritis and GI bleeding.

cnighbor1
12-11-2018, 05:08 PM
on DVC player and listen

daker13
12-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Maybe take the opportunity to watch some really, really long movies you wouldn't watch otherwise? The kind of thing you've always wanted to watch but found too long. Game of thrones is a pretty entertaining show, even when you have lots to do. When I was out of it for two weeks after oral surgery, I watched 'Shoah.' If I was bedridden again I'd try to watch Andrei Tarkovsky because every time I try to watch it now I fall asleep.

Ozz
12-11-2018, 05:23 PM
"Stranger Things" on Netflix....

Re-watch "Battlestar Galactica"

Others: "Longmire", "The Night Manager", "Wayward Pines", "The Expanse"

Cheers

Dave
12-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Lots of unusual stuff on Netflix. I can't remember them all. Penny dreadful is weird. I'm watching Luther right now. Also watched The Fall.

Bruce K
12-11-2018, 06:56 PM
lots if good ideas

Thanks again

Didn’t like what they did to The Expanse after having read the books so I stopped watching pretty quickly

BK

Toddtwenty2
12-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Two books I have enjoyed lately:

The Mandibles (fun and interesting fiction envisioning the collapse of the US economy through monetary manipulation and the fallout)

Bel Canto (one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read- much better than the plot synopsis or recent movie would lead one to believe)

oldpotatoe
12-12-2018, 06:29 AM
"Stranger Things" on Netflix....

Re-watch "Battlestar Galactica"

Others: "Longmire", "The Night Manager", "Wayward Pines", "The Expanse"

Cheers

Don't mess with Starbuck..she's in Longmire too. Don't mess with Vic either.

thunderworks
12-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Here's something NOT to do . . . Read a bunch of bike magazines and then buy a new bike you don't need! Boredom can be very expensive for bike nerds.

Bruce K
12-12-2018, 08:26 AM
The “Buy Now” button had a lot of allure early on but I am definitely fighting the urge.

I am definitely waiting until I am Med free to make any decisions about anything.

28 hours and counting....

BK

572cv
12-12-2018, 08:43 AM
So sorry to hear of your missed step! big bummer, but ... it could always have been worse ;-). Reading is good, better than TV or Video, IMO. Two weeks could get you l into learning a new language too. For light reading, I've finished a rather basic but fun mystery series set in France, the Bruno, Chief of Police series by Martin Walker. Not deep, but some decent twists. Hope the recovery goes smoothly!

Lewis Moon
12-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Don't mess with Starbuck..she's in Longmire too. Don't mess with Vic either.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c6/35/a4/c635a4562bc0839de4ea175091ff5d95.jpg

oldpotatoe
12-12-2018, 09:18 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c6/35/a4/c635a4562bc0839de4ea175091ff5d95.jpg

:eek:

redir
12-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Smoke weed and play skyrim

I was gonna suggest Fortnite. I just downloaded it the other day and it's a lot of fun. Good way to whittle the hours away.

lucieli
12-12-2018, 09:41 AM
My wife just had surgery on her wrist and has been unable to drive. She's been mostly reading and listening to books but is also considering taking some online classes.

classtimesailer
12-12-2018, 11:26 AM
While recovering from OHS, in between old man walks, I read the three Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books. Chess is a great idea. Get a good "how to play" book to avoid repeating mistakes. Get a magnetic travel board to work through the problems.