PDA

View Full Version : OT: any Drone experts out there

duff_duffy
12-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Looking for a durable, long battery life drone for 10 year old; under $100. Camera quality not important. Anyone here into that sort of thing? There are tons online and all look good to me but not my area of expertise. Must have remote included. Will be flown outdoors and prefer something that won’t leave a mark of it hits a car (ie smaller probably better).

AngryScientist
12-10-2018, 07:09 PM
i'd check in with your three Local Drone Shops :banana::banana::banana:

R3awak3n
12-10-2018, 07:20 PM
I got this a while ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CY19LK7/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it is a lot of fun but I did only pay $30 for it, don't know if I would pay $60.

duff_duffy
12-10-2018, 07:46 PM
I knew someone was going to say that;)

oldpotatoe
12-11-2018, 06:55 AM
Looking for a durable, long battery life drone for 10 year old; under $100. Camera quality not important. Anyone here into that sort of thing? There are tons online and all look good to me but not my area of expertise. Must have remote included. Will be flown outdoors and prefer something that won’t leave a mark of it hits a car (ie smaller probably better).

I have a Parrott, iphone controllable..not expensive, works really well. This one, altho mine was almost $100..3 years ago..great customer service..keep the box and receipt..I had one 'fly away''and they replaced no questions asked..but needed the box/serial number/receipt, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Airborne-Night-MiniDrone-Black/dp/B0111O7VBO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1544532834&sr=8-9&keywords=parrot+mini+drone

don'TreadOnMe
12-11-2018, 07:52 AM
DJI and Parrot seem to be the bosses in the consumer space.
Check out the DJI Ryze Tello, tough to get something nicer for 100 bucks.

Who knows, this might ignite an interesting passion for learning in your young one :-)
Coding, AI, geometry, electricity, radio signals...and they’re just fun.

I’m looking forward to better ‘follow me’ capability in lower price points this coming year, will be hilarious to film some of wacky stuff I attempt on 2 wheels ;-)

zap
12-11-2018, 08:18 AM
We have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro (we are FAA licensed) but practiced using a less expensive Rise drone. It has "bumpers" that protect interior walls or cars. I recommend visiting your local hobby store and see what they offer. You will need spares......at least I did.

MattTuck
12-11-2018, 09:46 AM

My LDS never has the right motors in stock. Tried to shop local, but web is way more convenient.

fiamme red
12-11-2018, 09:55 AM
My LDS never has the right motors in stock. Tried to shop local, but web is way more convenient.And when you buy online, you can have the drone sent through the air directly to your window! :banana:

unterhausen
12-11-2018, 10:02 AM
my local hobby shop just quietly disappeared before the advent of quadcopters. Then there was another one that also has gone out of business. I think they pretty much ignored quadcopters though.

I have a blade nano qx 3d. It's pretty forgiving, but quite small. Seems like they have moved on from that model, not sure what the current equivalent is. I liked it because you can use a normal RC radio with it

zap
12-11-2018, 10:03 AM
And when you buy online, you can have the drone sent through the air directly to your window! :banana:

This will happen a lot faster than self driving cars.