PDA

View Full Version : Underrated/Overrated Climbs (Rides)

XXtwindad
12-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Thinking about the climbs I want to tackle in 2019. My mind drifts back to some "bucket list" rides I did in the Summer of 2014, before my twin daughters were born. Most lived up to the hype and expectations. The superlatives and breathless hyperbole attached to the Crater Lake Rim ride were well deserved. There's a reason it's on most of the "Top Ten" ride lists in the U.S.

But what the rides that fell short of expectations, or the ones that exceeded them? I had both of those in the Summer of '14, and they both originated from the same place: Hood River, Oregon. (Which deserves its own place on "underrated towns" list. What a cool place.)

Underrated:

The Hood River/Columbia River Gorge Loop. Incredibly scenic and diverse with a dollop of history thrown in. Perfect ride.

Overrated:

Maybe it was because I only had three hours sleep. Or maybe it was the 90 degree plus heat. Or the traffic. Or maybe it was because my buddy the Mentor kept on lecturing me on the pratfalls of Capitalism. Whatever it was, Mt Hood was a brutal slog. Ticked it off, and I'll never ride it again.

Others?

Cloozoe
12-09-2018, 06:05 PM
All climbs are overrated;)

dem
12-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Ha ha.. when you said over-rated I immediately thought "Mt Hood" - it is dreadful, totally not worth it.

I certainly have not climbed them all, but I'd say most memorable for me:
Wildrose Canyon, Death Valley
Beartooth Pass, MT
Granite Pass, WY
Trail Ridge Parkway, CO
Pike's Peak, CO

(I did a 5 week climbing trip around the western US in 2017: https://dennisrides.com )

Over-rated:
Haleakala - tons of traffic.. Mauna Loa on the big island is much cooler

I love climbing.

This year I'd like to do the Owen's Valley climbs (including a dirt climb to Cerro Gordo ghost town)

If I can get a good streak of health and lose 15 pounds, I'm thinking to finally tackle the full Mauna Kea too.

MrCannonCam
12-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Where's your travel radius?

The 5 Canyon Challenge ride in Salt Lake City is a local challenge by the serious climbers to climb all 5 major canyons in the valley in one day. City Creek, Emigration, Millcreek, Little Cottonwood, and Big Cottonwood. The Cottonwood Canyons are probably the most known due to the ski areas that are located on them (and the Tour of Utah finish up LC...). IMO they are both kind of boring slogs. Millcreek Canyon is the lesser talked about one that I liked riding best when I lived there.

If you have any intentions of heading east there's endless good riding in Western NC with some big-uns as far as climbs go. I think the actual Mt Mitchell climb via Strava is a bit overrated (starting in Marion NC). It's a tough climb but not really that scenic from that side...it's a bit blah. I prefer to climb to Mt Mitchell from the WNC Folk Art Center via the Blue Ridge Parkway (I also live 3/4 of a mile from the Folk Art Center...maybe a bit of bias) The road surface is better and the views are killer.

jamesdak
12-09-2018, 08:08 PM

The 5 Canyon Challenge ride in Salt Lake City is a local challenge by the serious climbers to climb all 5 major canyons in the valley in one day. City Creek, Emigration, Millcreek, Little Cottonwood, and Big Cottonwood. The Cottonwood Canyons are probably the most known due to the ski areas that are located on them (and the Tour of Utah finish up LC...). IMO they are both kind of boring slogs. Millcreek Canyon is the lesser talked about one that I liked riding best when I lived there.

And if you in Utah and doing those take the time to head an hour north and do the Powder MT climb. It's just a little ol' 6-7 mile climb. ;)

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/93.Powder%20Mountain

John H.
12-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Did you do Hood via the Highway? It is certainly over-rated.
There are other ways up Hood- Some of the off-road and BLM routes are better.

Most over-rated? I will agree with the post that said Haleakala. Boring Highway climb- Not even the best climb or ride in the area or on the Island.
You could do a trainer ride that is the same as this climb.
The only reason to climb Haleakala is if you want to check the box and say you climbed from zero to 10k in one shot.
And I even like to climb and consider myself to be an ok climber.

Thinking about the climbs I want to tackle in 2019. My mind drifts back to some "bucket list" rides I did in the Summer of 2014, before my twin daughters were born. Most lived up to the hype and expectations. The superlatives and breathless hyperbole attached to the Crater Lake Rim ride were well deserved. There's a reason it's on most of the "Top Ten" ride lists in the U.S.

But what the rides that fell short of expectations, or the ones that exceeded them? I had both of those in the Summer of '14, and they both originated from the same place: Hood River, Oregon. (Which deserves its own place on "underrated towns" list. What a cool place.)

Underrated:

The Hood River/Columbia River Gorge Loop. Incredibly scenic and diverse with a dollop of history thrown in. Perfect ride.

Overrated:

Maybe it was because I only had three hours sleep. Or maybe it was the 90 degree plus heat. Or the traffic. Or maybe it was because my buddy the Mentor kept on lecturing me on the pratfalls of Capitalism. Whatever it was, Mt Hood was a brutal slog. Ticked it off, and I'll never ride it again.

Others?

joosttx
12-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Balch Camp to Dinkey Creek

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/972/40137465120_de369d9ffd_b.jpg

and Mendicino Pass from Willows California

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/30081459215_332d46f48f_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8766/30081476005_22c4d1c487_b.jpg

are two of the most underrated climbs I know. Mt Vision is rad but not sure it is underrated.

Here is a write up. https://abovecategorycycling.com/blogs/journal/the-road-to-nowhere-mt-vision

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5478/12233200733_af504940a0_b.jpg

I have to say for overrated Patten Hill Rd. I think the first climb before the first rest stop at D2R2 is tougher. Also the Marshall wall was a little disappointing.

Ken Robb
12-09-2018, 09:17 PM
All climbs are overrated;)

YES!!!!!!! I only suffered up climbs for the thrill of swooping down the back side that was usually sure to follow.

XXtwindad
12-09-2018, 10:21 PM

If you have any intentions of heading east there's endless good riding in Western NC with some big-uns as far as climbs go. I think the actual Mt Mitchell climb via Strava is a bit overrated (starting in Marion NC). It's a tough climb but not really that scenic from that side...it's a bit blah. I prefer to climb to Mt Mitchell from the WNC Folk Art Center via the Blue Ridge Parkway (I also live 3/4 of a mile from the Folk Art Center...maybe a bit of bias) The road surface is better and the views are killer.

Asheville and the Blue Ridge area are number one on my bucket list "areas." Mt. Mitchell (from Asheville), Jenkins Valley-Ox Creek, Bat Cave-Edneyville, Cherohala Skyway, etc ...

XXtwindad
12-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Did you do Hood via the Highway? It is certainly over-rated.
There are other ways up Hood- Some of the off-road and BLM routes are better.

Most over-rated? I will agree with the post that said Haleakala. Boring Highway climb- Not even the best climb or ride in the area or on the Island.
You could do a trainer ride that is the same as this climb.
The only reason to climb Haleakala is if you want to check the box and say you climbed from zero to 10k in one shot.
And I even like to climb and consider myself to be an ok climber.

I did Hood via Highway 26. Hot, barren, and boring as hell. I'll cross Haleakala off my list. Wasn't too high up there, anyway...

XXtwindad
12-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Balch Camp to Dinkey Creek

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/972/40137465120_de369d9ffd_b.jpg

and Mendicino Pass from Willows California

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/30081459215_332d46f48f_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8766/30081476005_22c4d1c487_b.jpg

are two of the most underrated climbs I know. Mt Vision is rad but not sure it is underrated.

Here is a write up. https://abovecategorycycling.com/blogs/journal/the-road-to-nowhere-mt-vision

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5478/12233200733_af504940a0_b.jpg

I have to say for overrated Patten Hill Rd. I think the first climb before the first rest stop at D2R2 is tougher. Also the Marshall wall was a little disappointing.

Great pics! Marshall Wall was disappointing for scenery or "toughness" factor? It's been a while since I've done it, but I recall it being pretty scenic...

Vientomas
12-10-2018, 12:13 AM
I did Hood via Highway 26. Hot, barren, and boring as hell. I'll cross Haleakala off my list. Wasn't too high up there, anyway...

I'm confused, you stated your ride started in Hood River, but Highway 26 does not go through Hood River. Did you mean Highway 35?

What was the ride you did that started in Hood River that you liked?

XXtwindad
12-10-2018, 12:41 AM
I'm confused, you stated your ride started in Hood River, but Highway 26 does not go through Hood River. Did you mean Highway 35?

What was the ride you did that started in Hood River that you liked?

Yes. Highway 35. My error. I liked the Historic Columbia River Highway to the Dalles...

martl
12-10-2018, 02:34 AM
Others?
I'd name the Cime de la Bonette south side (just a grind, no beautiful road in particular), l'Alpe de Huez (ain't bad but it doesn't live up to its reputation - there are way nicer and more rewarding climbs in that area). Also the Großglockner, it may be the highest in Austria, but it is a highway up a moutain, and always 1-2° steeper than would be comfortable.

verticaldoug
12-10-2018, 03:00 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1150776,137.5703792,3a,75y,169.15h,87.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soznv0sGFNmVqUfT3Je5rOg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

Norikura Skyline in Gifu Japan. It is closed to traffic in the summer except buses. It is a mecca for Japanese cyclists.

You can do a loop up the Skyline and down 158 back into Matsumoto.

The route out of Matsumoto is 34.5 miles , 9000 ft of climbing.
158 descent will be white knuckle with traffic and tunnels.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2018, 05:35 AM
All climbs are overrated
YES!!!!!!! I only suffered up climbs for the thrill of swooping down the back side that was usually sure to follow.

Huzzah..positive hills and negative hills..gotta do a negative hill to get to the positive hill..:)

everbeek
12-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Jeopardy question in the category Underrated - In Edward Pickering's new book, The Ronde, George Hincapie is quoted as stating that this climb "probably hurts more than any other climb in the entire World Tour"?

Answer - What is the Bosberg.

Vientomas
12-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Yes. Highway 35. My error. I liked the Historic Columbia River Highway to the Dalles...

Ah yes, then up Seven Mile Hill and descend into Mosier? A lovely climb that is...but not on a hot summer day!

LouDeeter
12-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Someone mentioned L'Alpe d'Huez. If you do ride it, make sure you go to the actual professional finish and not stop at the Finish Line banner that is hanging before the underpass (wooden bridge?). I think the local bars put that banner up to get people to stop there for food/beverage. The actual finish is another KM up the road.

Elefantino
12-10-2018, 10:02 AM
I'd name the Cime de la Bonette south side (just a grind, no beautiful road in particular), l'Alpe de Huez (ain't bad but it doesn't live up to its reputation - there are way nicer and more rewarding climbs in that area). Also the Großglockner, it may be the highest in Austria, but it is a highway up a moutain, and always 1-2° steeper than would be comfortable.
Col de la Ramaz
Passo Tonale
McKenzie Pass

Check em out

Elefantino
12-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Someone mentioned L'Alpe d'Huez. If you do ride it, make sure you go to the actual professional finish and not stop at the Finish Line banner that is hanging before the underpass (wooden bridge?). I think the local bars put that banner up to get people to stop there for food/beverage. The actual finish is another KM up the road.
And don't - repeat do not - try to climb it on race day.

What a nightmare.

martl
12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Col de la Ramaz
Passo Tonale
McKenzie Pass

Check em out

i second the Tonale, even though it was the very first (first of a few, i may modestly add) mountain pass with a name i ever climbed, as a 20 year old newbie on my dads old 1951 Girardengo, equipeed with cotton t-shirts, an US army surplus sleeping bag, a 30DM walmart tent, about 10 pounds of tools and 15 pounds of SLR in the front panniers....

https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/img/photos/2/0/9/0/_/medium/tonale.jpg?0 (https://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/115556)

rain dogs
12-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Jeopardy question in the category Underrated - In Edward Pickering's new book, The Ronde, George Hincapie is quoted as stating that this climb "probably hurts more than any other climb in the entire World Tour"?

Answer - What is the Bosberg.

George needed to do more climbing then (although who knows what he meant, and who am I to say that? ha!)

It's strange because the Bosberg is cobbled for only about half if I remember correctly going up.... it's wide, the cobbles are pretty good. Maybe because it's at the end of the race? Maybe it's when you know for sure won't win/podium and that's hard?

I went up there a couple years back and did a whole bunch of 'em the only one that really, really stood out as brutal was the Koppenberg. But like, magnitudes harder than the others, although by that point it had started to rain... got up in one go, but it was eye-bleeding hard which maybe had a lot to do with the tires starting to slip a bit and it was the last after a long 100ish km day.

I don't want to get into a list of overrated climbs for fear of setting the internet on fire (or the internet setting ME on fire!) but I can tell you there are a LOT of climbs out there, especially in France :eek:, that are only worth a darn because they're famous because of the TdF (or other grand tours).... as climbs go, beauty, variety, difficulty, reward, ambiance, traffic, safety etc. ... totally meh.

Waldo
12-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Unlike others here, I enjoyed my Haleakala climb. This was back in March of 2001, but road surface was good. Traffic wasn't excessive -- drivers were courteous and occasionally friendly. I started at 6:30 am and temps never exceeded 80. I had a good time. The descent bored me, however.

XXtwindad
12-10-2018, 12:55 PM
George needed to do more climbing then (although who knows what he meant, and who am I to say that? ha!)

It's strange because the Bosberg is cobbled for only about half if I remember correctly going up.... it's wide, the cobbles are pretty good. Maybe because it's at the end of the race? Maybe it's when you know for sure won't win/podium and that's hard?

I went up there a couple years back and did a whole bunch of 'em the only one that really, really stood out as brutal was the Koppenberg. But like, magnitudes harder than the others, although by that point it had started to rain... got up in one go, but it was eye-bleeding hard which maybe had a lot to do with the tires starting to slip a bit and it was the last after a long 100ish km day.

I don't want to get into a list of overrated climbs for fear of setting the internet on fire (or the internet setting ME on fire!) but I can tell you there are a LOT of climbs out there, especially in France :eek:, that are only worth a darn because they're famous because of the TdF (or other grand tours).... as climbs go, beauty, variety, difficulty, reward, ambiance, traffic, safety etc. ... totally meh.

I don't mind the suffering. But I want the payoff. I want panoramic vistas, and a sense of awe and wonder. That's why I hated the climb up Hood. I thought the scenery didn't justify the effort. That's also why I'll be hard pressed to experience a more rewarding climb than Mt. Tam.

Anyone got feedback on Washington State climbs? The gravel grind up Slate Peak is probably number one, followed by Washington Pass.

To Rain Dogs: I think "overrated climbs" is more interesting than "underrated." :)

everbeek
12-10-2018, 01:12 PM
He specifically used the word 'hurts' rather than 'hard'. I don't have the book handy right now, but "...your legs are still shot from the Muur a few km earlier...everyone knows that you have to be able to stay with everyone else to have a chance so everyone is going as hard as they can...".

doomridesout
12-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Nestucca Scenic Byway is solid if you’re in Oregon.

I’m partial to the hills in my area- Kneeland Rd., Bald Hills Road, Old Hwy 299, Mattole Road (AKA the Wildcat). Humboldt County has great climbing. Nothing you’d call huge but lots of fun rides.

93KgBike
12-10-2018, 03:46 PM
I've been impressed with some of the climbs (whole rides really) Wildeberry & Cools have posted on youtube.

Great thread!

joosttx
12-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Great pics! Marshall Wall was disappointing for scenery or "toughness" factor? It's been a while since I've done it, but I recall it being pretty scenic...

Toughness factor

OtayBW
12-10-2018, 04:37 PM
If you have any intentions of heading east there's endless good riding in Western NC with some big-uns as far as climbs go. I think the actual Mt Mitchell climb via Strava is a bit overrated (starting in Marion NC). It's a tough climb but not really that scenic from that side...it's a bit blah. I prefer to climb to Mt Mitchell from the WNC Folk Art Center via the Blue Ridge Parkway (I also live 3/4 of a mile from the Folk Art Center...maybe a bit of bias) The road surface is better and the views are killer.Yup - the ride up from Marion gets the steepest, but it's a 'meh' for scenary.

Asheville and the Blue Ridge area are number one on my bucket list "areas." Mt. Mitchell (from Asheville), Jenkins Valley-Ox Creek, Bat Cave-Edneyville, Cherohala Skyway, etc ...
Well, it ain't Alpe D'Huez, but western NC is pretty fine as far as I'm concerned. The first is the ride up past Craggy Garden on the way to Mt. Mitchell from the Folk Art center, and the second is looking back. On a nice day, it's pretty awesome, especially as you move up in elevation into the spruce-fir. The air smells great and here's a banana for all that...:banana:

donevwil
12-10-2018, 04:50 PM
The climb up Pelton Dam Road outside Madras OR was very underrated, 1.7mi averaging 14% at mile 72. Only time I can remember walking.

Vientomas
12-11-2018, 12:59 PM
I don't mind the suffering. But I want the payoff. I want panoramic vistas, and a sense of awe and wonder. That's why I hated the climb up Hood. I thought the scenery didn't justify the effort. That's also why I'll be hard pressed to experience a more rewarding climb than Mt. Tam.

Anyone got feedback on Washington State climbs? The gravel grind up Slate Peak is probably number one, followed by Washington Pass.

To Rain Dogs: I think "overrated climbs" is more interesting than "underrated." :)

One southern Washington ride (Gorge):

Start in the town Klickitat, south to Klickitat Appleton Road (lovely climb with views down the Klickitat River, about 1600 verts), right on Canyon Road to Fisher Hill Road (Mt. Adams views) to Gravel Pit Road (short stretch of gravel) to Lakeside Road (views of Mt. Adams), to Glenwood Highway and go east descending back into the Klickitat River valley, cross the river and climb back out (more River views about 1500 verts), right on Highway 142 and descend a cool single lane euro style road back to the Klickitat River and follow the river back to the start. About 60 miles and 5000 verts total. Very little motor vehicle traffic with nice views.

XXtwindad
12-11-2018, 02:12 PM
One southern Washington ride (Gorge):

Start in the town Klickitat, south to Klickitat Appleton Road (lovely climb with views down the Klickitat River, about 1600 verts), right on Canyon Road to Fisher Hill Road (Mt. Adams views) to Gravel Pit Road (short stretch of gravel) to Lakeside Road (views of Mt. Adams), to Glenwood Highway and go east descending back into the Klickitat River valley, cross the river and climb back out (more River views about 1500 verts), right on Highway 142 and descend a cool single lane euro style road back to the Klickitat River and follow the river back to the start. About 60 miles and 5000 verts total. Very little motor vehicle traffic with nice views.

Thx for the great feedback! I'll put it on the list...

Elefantino
12-11-2018, 03:20 PM
There are many good climbs north of Atlanta, my favorites being Brasstown Bald and Hogpen Gap.

:eek:

OK, Brasstown Bald is NOT my favorite. It sucks. But it is a great climb nonetheless.

XXtwindad
12-11-2018, 03:32 PM
There are many good climbs north of Atlanta, my favorites being Brasstown Bald and Hogpen Gap.

:eek:

OK, Brasstown Bald is NOT my favorite. It sucks. But it is a great climb nonetheless.

Brasstown Bald! Overrated!

choke
12-11-2018, 04:02 PM
I certainly have not climbed them all, but I'd say most memorable for me:

Granite Pass, WY
Shell Canyon is a beautiful place.

XXtwindad
12-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Any Oregonians familiar with it? Worth doing?

donevwil
12-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Any Oregonians familiar with it? Worth doing?

Pretty much any riding in OR is worth doing. McKenzie has that great Mars'scape aesthetic, just beautiful in a never seen something like that before way. I didn't find it particularly challenging, however, much preferred, or challenged by, the climb to and around Crater Lake from Fort Klamath.

I've done Hells Canyon a couple times, one in and back from Halfway and a point to point from Cambridge ID to Halfway. Both awesome, but the point to point was epic.

XXtwindad
12-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Pretty much any riding in OR is worth doing. McKenzie has that great Mars'scape aesthetic, just beautiful in a never seen something like that before way. I didn't find it particularly challenging, however, much preferred, or challenged by, the climb to and around Crater Lake from Fort Klamath.

I've done Hells Canyon a couple times, one in and back from Halfway and a point to point from Cambridge ID to Halfway. Both awesome, but the point to point was epic.

That ride seems epic. You could approach Hells Canyon from Joseph as well, according to my guide book.

booglebug
12-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Did the Folk Art center to Mt Mitchell ride this past summer and got to say one of the most beautiful rides I’ve seen. Also a fan of the Six Gap climbs in Georgia

MrCannonCam
12-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Did the Folk Art center to Mt Mitchell ride this past summer and got to say one of the most beautiful rides I’ve seen. Also a fan of the Six Gap climbs in Georgia

Folk art Mt Mitchell ride is awesome, amazing strip of road. Lots and lots of car traffic in the summer, best as an early start as it can get hairy with all of the tourists not used to driving on those roads. Six Gap yes! Lots of good riding in WNC/Eastern TN/North GA/Northwest SC.

Forgot to add Roan Mountain on the NC/TN border about 30 min from Johnson City. Great climb on both sides (the less traffic "other" side is a lot different than the more known side, lots of twists and turns and very little car traffic. Neat section of the AT up top too. Rt 19E getting there not so nice by bike...

Bob Loblaw
12-13-2018, 07:16 AM
One climb that hasn’t been mentioned here, and thus will go in the underrated category, is Mt Hamilton. The ATOC included it a few years back...I want to say 2011 or 2012. The climb starts in San Jose on the outskirts of urban sprawl. In 19 miles you gain around 4K vertical feet. The views are amazing, you climb through three different biomes up to the Lick Observatory with a 360 degree view of California. On a clear day you can see to San Francisco.

XXtwindad
12-13-2018, 08:45 AM
One climb that hasn’t been mentioned here, and thus will go in the underrated category, is Mt Hamilton. The ATOC included it a few years back...I want to say 2011 or 2012. The climb starts in San Jose on the outskirts of urban sprawl. In 19 miles you gain around 4K vertical feet. The views are amazing, you climb through three different biomes up to the Lick Observatory with a 360 degree view of California. On a clear day you can see to San Francisco.

I'm not sure why Mt. Hamilton doesn't get more love. The ascent is (by far) the easiest of the "Big Three" (Tam, Diablo) and the views are stunning.

josephr
12-13-2018, 05:23 PM
so, many years ago when I decided on giving the Dirty Kanza thing a try, quite a few cycling articles about the route touted "Chevron Hill" as this long, grueling climb on chirt. I'd been on the lookout for this massive effort but was confused as my maps told me it was behind me. I figured I was off course until some other riders who confirmed my position...I don't even remember it. :rolleyes:

Bob Loblaw
12-14-2018, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure why Mt. Hamilton doesn't get more love. The ascent is (by far) the easiest of the "Big Three" (Tam, Diablo) and the views are stunning.

Agreed. When I lived in the area it was my pet climb. Even though I now live in Tucson with Mt Lemmon in my backyard, I still pine for Mt Hamilton.

Mt. Lemmon is an awesome climb though. Some amazing views on the way up. And it hurts.

muz
12-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Agreed. When I lived in the area it was my pet climb. Even though I now live in Tucson with Mt Lemmon in my backyard, I still pine for Mt Hamilton.

Mt. Lemmon is an awesome climb though. Some amazing views on the way up. And it hurts.

I second Mt Lemmon, great climb.

Not so sure about Mt Hamilton. The views aren't that great during the climb (esp. compared to Mt Tam), just a long slog. More of a challenge from the backside.

Hindmost
12-14-2018, 08:38 PM

The grade of the road up the front of Mount Hamilton was intended for mules pulling wagons to supply the construction of the observatory at the top. Now, the backside is another story.

XXtwindad
12-14-2018, 08:47 PM
The grade of the road up the front of Mount Hamilton was intended for mules pulling wagons to supply the construction of the observatory at the top. Now, the backside is another story.

The first time up Hamilton, I just Googled the quickest way to get up via my starting point. It sent me up this hellacious isolated road that must've been a consistent 10-15% grade. I forget the name of the road but I met up with a whole bunch of the Oakland Yellowjackets who thought the whole ride had been pretty mellow.

Turns out they took a different route up ...

Hindmost
12-14-2018, 09:13 PM
It sounds like you went up Sierra road. The TOC has used that road a couple times. Brutal.

Bostic
12-14-2018, 09:32 PM
It was Quimby Road, the shortcut that trims off the initial section of the Hamilton climb from Alum Rock. Quimby is worse than Sierra and you must climb it on a summer day to appreciate the upper section in the baking sun.

XXtwindad
12-14-2018, 09:43 PM
It was Quimby Road, the shortcut that trims off the initial section of the Hamilton climb from Alum Rock. Quimby is worse than Sierra and you must climb it on a summer day to appreciate the upper section in the baking sun.

Yes. It was Quimby. I remember it had an unusual name. Bleech. Horrible.

muz
12-14-2018, 11:35 PM
Yes. It was Quimby. I remember it had an unusual name. Bleech. Horrible.

Ha! A friend just did an Everesting, 17 times Quimby. I would be afraid of that descent when I am so tired.

5oakterrace
12-15-2018, 03:47 AM
I suggest some of the northeast climbs are memorable. Mt. Washington, for me at least, is/was an experience I will never forget. It lives up to all the hype it gets from various lists. I think it is 12% for 7.4 miles. The views are breath taking. And I think there is a haunting sense of isolation at the top with the changing cloud cover and winds, depending on the weather, of course. You can climb it, however, only on race day and the practice day, which is open only to the racers.

I will also put in a plug for Mt. Ascutney in Vermont which can be climbed anytime in season. I think it is 3.4 miles at 12%. There is no view until you get to the top, but once there it is quite spectacular. I appreciate the climb as the road is narrower and you are under a canopy of trees. There is very little traffic - so it is you and the climb.

I found Mt. Mitchell (from the Marion side) to be disappointing. It may be I was too physically drained to appreciate it, but more traffic, much wider road, and a grind it out (seemingly forever for someone as slow as I am!) climb.

Kirk007
12-15-2018, 09:36 AM
underrated: all of the climbs out of Barcelonnette: Col de la Bonette, Coll d'Allos, Col de la Coyelle, Col de Vars ....

A great place to base for a week of great riding and climbing.

XXtwindad
12-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Ha! A friend just did an Everesting, 17 times Quimby. I would be afraid of that descent when I am so tired.

Wow. Kudos to your buddy. That's a disgusting climb. Nothing redeeming about it. It's been several years, but I recall it has some pretty technical switchbacks and the road isn't in great condition. I'd be very cautious descending when I'm wide awake...

livesadventure
12-15-2018, 01:37 PM
I've found that a lot of the best climbs I have done are the unnamed climbs in proximity to famous ones.

I spent a summer in Bormio and the best climb was this little side road that climbed out of the valley for 20 miles and dead ended at a waterfall. At the time the Strava segment had fewer than 15 rides.

Some of the best climbs I did in Mallorca were unnamed as well.

Drmojo
12-15-2018, 02:29 PM
I've found that a lot of the best climbs I have done are the unnamed climbs in proximity to famous ones.

I spent a summer in Bormio and the best climb was this little side road that climbed out of the valley for 20 miles and dead ended at a waterfall. At the time the Strava segment had fewer than 15 rides.

Some of the best climbs I did in Mallorca were unnamed as well.

Unnamed untamed very rarely ridden:
Tibet, KKH in Pakistan, Yemen backrods etc etc etc
The climb to Everest base camp is my fave
The pass is 19k
Basecamp is 17

fkelly
12-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Kokee on the Western Hawaii island of Kauai ... Steep climb with views of the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Unremitting tropical sun. I did it in 1995 or 96. Cramped 2/3 of the way up and couldn't get my leg over my seat to get off the bike. Eventually remounted and limped to the finish. Hard to carry enough water and there is no place to stop to get any.

OtayBW
12-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Unnamed untamed very rarely ridden:
Tibet, KKH in Pakistan, Yemen backrods etc etc etc
The climb to Everest base camp is my fave
The pass is 19k
Basecamp is 17

I wonder what Bikeflights charges to ship to Lhasa?

smead
12-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Of all the big climbs in Nor Cal I'd put Iowa Hill Road as my fav - I would call it under-rated. It is harder than just about any climb I've done in this area, but also incredibly beautiful, and very remote (no cars, no services). A black bear in the road is not uncommon. Start in Auburn and make a loop back via Foresthill. Or do an out and back on Iowa Hill road for a crazy 1.75 mile plunge. If you add and out and back to Robinson Flat once you hit the Forest hill road junction you'll end up with about 10K' of climbing and 100 miles. Don't try it with a standard crank unless you have some solid standing power.

XXtwindad
12-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Of all the big climbs in Nor Cal I'd put Iowa Hill Road as my fav - I would call it under-rated. It is harder than just about any climb I've done in this area, but also incredibly beautiful, and very remote (no cars, no services). A black bear in the road is not uncommon. Start in Auburn and make a loop back via Foresthill. Or do an out and back on Iowa Hill road for a crazy 1.75 mile plunge. If you add and out and back to Robinson Flat once you hit the Forest hill road junction you'll end up with about 10K' of climbing and 100 miles. Don't try it with a standard crank unless you have some solid standing power.

Real high on the list! Spent some time near the climb when I was in junior high, long before I got into cycling. Supposedly incredibly scenic and lung-busting. Do you descend on Yankee Jim's via the dirt?

XXtwindad
12-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Hands down. Every time.

Take one of the most iconic monuments in the world, and toss in two diametrically opposed groups of knuckleheads: the tourists taking selfies and the Stravaheads, and you get sheer misery. Every time.

Hard to say which group is worse. But I'll go with the Stravaheads. The tourists are just clueless...

one60
12-16-2018, 02:14 PM
Underrated - Paradise climb up Mount Rainier from Packwood via Skate Creek. All the best of the PNW in one outing.

Overrated - Rocacorba in Girona. Girona is blessed with lots of great roads and climbs but the road up to Rocacorba is in need of major improvement and it the views on the way up aren't great. And descending on broken pavement is never a treat.

Likes2ridefar
12-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Underrated, probably unknown to most, Taiwan KOM - a race that is about 65 miles uphill nearly the entire time that has a mere 9700ft elevation gain with a brutal final 10km of steep twisty roads to the finish. Stunning scenery from the ocean to the gorge to the summit.

weisan
12-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Underrated, probably unknown to most, Taiwan KOM - a race that is about 65 miles uphill nearly the entire time that has a mere 9700ft elevation gain with a brutal final 10km of steep twisty roads to the finish. Stunning scenery from the ocean to the gorge to the summit.

Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8W9InrsQic

herb5998
12-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Overrated: Probably not very well known, but rode the "Cippo di Carpegna" near Rimini a few years ago. It's brutally steep, and really no scenery, as it's all in the trees. The descent down the backside was in terrible condition which didn't help after that climb. It has some history with the Giro and Pantani, but otherwise, it's just brutal.

http://thecolcollective.com/col-collection/col/cippo-di-carpegna

Underrated: Col d'Eze near Nice, is a great climb, it doesn't get much attention aside from Paris-Nice, but it's a good challenge with some amazing views of Monaco and Cote D'Azur toward the top.

XXtwindad
12-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Overrated: Probably not very well known, but rode the "Cippo di Carpegna" near Rimini a few years ago. It's brutally steep, and really no scenery, as it's all in the trees. The descent down the backside was in terrible condition which didn't help after that climb. It has some history with the Giro and Pantani, but otherwise, it's just brutal.

http://thecolcollective.com/col-collection/col/cippo-di-carpegna

Underrated: Col d'Eze near Nice, is a great climb, it doesn't get much attention aside from Paris-Nice, but it's a good challenge with some amazing views of Monaco and Cote D'Azur toward the top.

Col d'Eze looks like a beautiful ride. Thx for the heads up, because I have aspirations of doing a Maritime/Ligurian Alps cycling trip. On that list: Col de la Bonette from Saint Dalmage Les Salvage, Colle Fauniera and Monte Saccarello. Your climb (which I hadn't heard of) fits in perfectly...

Flying Pigeon
12-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Overrated? I say La Plagne considering it is hors categorie with some TdF history. The road is kinda boring, like engineers made everything as consistent as possible. And then you're in a huge parking lot.

All the skinny Velotel roads fully deserve the praise: l'Arpettaz, Sabot, etc

In The US I'd say a bunch of the 101 coast.. scary freeway-type multi-lane climbs and BS too near logging trucks.

All the California hills including Quimby have been incredible and
have also lived up to the hype completely.:banana:

thegunner
12-17-2018, 04:56 PM

you're biased :)

haha, jk this is on my bucket list for life. the east coast of taiwan is absolutely breathtaking.

Likes2ridefar
12-17-2018, 05:05 PM
you're biased :)

haha, jk this is on my bucket list for life. the east coast of taiwan is absolutely breathtaking.

True, certainly has a soft spot after the experiences there!

Now I’m stuck with the 28 mile climb up Mt. Lemmon or closer to me 7 or so miles in Phoenix south mtn. park to the towers. Both are easy compared to the Taiwan kom..

martl
12-18-2018, 12:35 AM

In that region, almost every climb is brutal :)