PDA

View Full Version : Zwift- Macbook/Kinectic InRide Specific

fourflys
12-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I want to start Zwifting to get back into riding and had a couple of questions I didn't see when I did a search.

I have a Macbook Air and a non-smart Kinectic Road Machine. From what I can tell I think I just need to purchase the bluetooth InRide module and I'll be good to go start Zwifting. What am I missing?

Any folks using this setup?

Thanks

MagicHour
12-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Not sure about native support on macbooks - I think if it's a newer model you should be fine. My older imac needed to use an ant+ dongle or my iphone as a BT bridge. The new Kinetic inride 3 also supports Ant+ now so if you get that version you'll be covered either way. If you do go ant+ you'll also need an ant+ dongle (~$20-$39) and optional USB extension cable (~$7.99 on amazon) so you can place the ant+ stick closer to the inRide otherwise you may experience dropouts.

pakora
12-12-2018, 01:31 PM
I don't have an inride for my dumb Road Machine, but I've been using Zpower (Zwift's estimated power) and a USB Ant+ dongle (Garmin brand) on a 6 foot extension cable along with my Garmin sensors for speed and cadence. Pretty cheap to get started if you already have the sensors (I did).

Works fine with my 2012 Macbook.

I'll try the inRide3 soon - I'll guess it works even better.

sitzmark
12-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Don't have your same set up, but do have MacBook Air and BT/ANT+ power meters. OS/X Zwift app will not connect directly with (my) BT meters (P1 pedals, PT hubs). OS/X app will connect to ANT+ devices using an USB ANT+ dongle as others have noted.

What does work with MacBook is using the companion Zwift app on iOS device to pair with BT power device and pairing the iDevice with the Macbook_OS/X app. It works but is a little "involved". I find it much easier to mount an iPhone or iPad on the bars of my trainer/bike and use the iOS Zwift app (instead of the companion app). For big screen you can airplay the phone/pad to an apple tv, or use a lightning AV adapter an connect to TV or monitor.

Ride On. :)

fourflys
12-12-2018, 08:05 PM
thanks all!