PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Merckx 525 Ride Impressions

luv2bike
12-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Hi,

Because of geometry concerns (and cachet) I am interested in purchasing an older EMX525.
I believe the geometry I am after was made from around 2012 thru to 2015. It features "long and low" numbers with a very relaxed seat angle. The 525 was updated after that to a more "common" geometry.
I am interested in hearing from anyone that owns or has owned one of these bikes. Would like to know what they thought of it and if it lived up to the hype the reviews at the time heaped on it.
For potential comparisons, I own newer Cervelo R5, Lapierre Xelius, Giant TCR Advanced.

Thanks!

one60
12-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Not exactly the same frameset as the EMX525, but I have quite enjoyed my 2017 San Remo 76. The geometry (which seems to have changed from the earlier versions) is long and low (as you like). The front/center is a bit longer than my other bikes which seems to add to the sense of stability cornering and descending or riding no hands. Its plenty stiff but comfortable enough for 3+ hour outings.

The build quality is great... straight as an arrow with the rear spacing perfectly aligned. The PF BB was spot on & I've never had a creak using the Campy PF cups. These carbon Merckx's may not have the cachet of the steel frames but they are great value for money.