PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Area Frame Repair/Modification

Mikeys
12-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Any recommendations for frame modifications in the Los Angeles area? Basically just getting rid of mechanical shift cable stops and drilling holes for Di2. Yes, the warranty will be voided.

Thanks

hollowgram5
12-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Steel, Carbon, or Titanium?

Mikeys
12-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Steel

ultraman6970
12-08-2018, 08:22 PM
You can do a DIY type of work using a small hand power sander with the lever bosses and the rd cable guide thing... so, you file those things down and then drill the holes... easier say it than to it anyways because never done such a thing and since I dont have a single builder around, thats the way I would do it.

Either way u might need to repaint. But with the sander the ammount of paint would be a lot less IMO than using a torch to remove the bosses...

Just a thought.

jtbadge
12-08-2018, 08:28 PM
There are a bunch of framebuilders in the area, can't hurt to reach out to a couple to see if they can squeeze you in:

Larkin Cycles
Plante Cycles
Jerome Cycles
Dark Moon Fabrication

...to name a few

Mikeys
12-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Yeah I’ve seen a few of those people but some of them only use Instagram which I do not use. Jerome says he will not work on frames he didn’t make.

Don’t have the tools or steady hand to file off stops or knowledge of where to drill without affecting the butting of the tubes

ultraman6970
12-09-2018, 12:34 AM
Dremel is your friend, u might need a heavy duty disc grinder cutter thing, then the drum sand like blocks to finish i guess... or just a metal file and then sand paper to give that thing a super finish.

Or just use old faithfull saw blade...

http://thebiketube.com/tutorials/diy-remove-bike-braze-ons-and-bosses-bike-frame

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/fixed-single-speed/removing-cable-stops-downtube-shifter-mounts-149231.html

jm714
12-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Maybe Joe Bell can help down in San Diego? He does frame repair and repaints.